Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i imagined perrin being more square tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

where do they treat Rand as if he always wanted to leave?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

please dont spoil poo poo for all the new readers this tv show will hopefully bring in

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i'm expecting Mashadar and the Black Wind to be mashed together

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the idea is that Rand and Mat are really sick and it's giving them trouble with the concept of linear time

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also to a certain extent they were correct about not trusting Moiraine

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Technically Perrin rules Two Rivers as his Steward, so he's a king there

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sanderson is better than Goodkind

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There was that one dude who regressed to being a baby, and the one who's seeing fades in the shadows

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

Tolkien thought Sam to be Lord of the Rings' main character, while Egwene didn't even exist in the original version of the story. And neither did Mat.
neither did Rand

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Egwene isn't even the strongest female channeler around so i don't know why you'd call her overpowered

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Egwene isn't infallible. She would have been killed by Seanchan Assassins if Gawyn didn't explicitly disobey her orders

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How are u posted:

I'd guess Loial is gonna be prosthetics-town all the way. I wonder how large that guy is, because Ogier are big boys.
if he's not 10 feet tall he's #notmyloial

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have never seen any actual evidence that Jordan actually intended Taim as Demandred, just nerds crying "retcon!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

why would birgitte be glowing with the power

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sandersons Perrin was way better than Jordans Perrin tbh

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Drawing too much of the power is a constant temptation that all the channelers have to struggle against. Showing Aginor actually do so early on sets the stakes - this is the tool our protagonist must tame

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I loved that WoT tabletop RPG. In fact the only reason I ever discovered the books in the first place was because when I joined the tabletop games club in Highschool, they were in the process of playing the campaign that was released with it; and the teacher in charge of the club told me to start reading the series to familiarise myself with the setting.
i think this is the first time i've heard someone speak positively of that thing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s surprising. It’s just 3rd ed d&d reskinned with WoT. If you like d&d and you like WoT how could it be bad? My only issue is that there was only ever the one professionally written campaign for it; but the teacher wrote his own as a follow up.
... 3rd edition was so bad they remade it (and it was still bad)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Because he was in hiding. And no one believes male channelers anyway.
"huh the insane man is telling us he fixed the thing that drove him and everyone like him for the last 3,000 years insane"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

14 forsaken doesnt seem like too many, not over the course of 14 books. If anything, maybe put a damper on some of them recurring. Dashiva does loving nothing after reincarnation, just have him smoked permanently in the first book.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There's no way jealousy smelling makes it into the show

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't mind the change to guitar, or Thom only being 48 instead of like 70. The stated reasons for the changes sound pretty stupid though

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe they'll consolidate gawyn and galad

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Too much accuracy can harm an adaptation because things that work in text can absolutely torpedo a film or tv series

I'm more interested in whether they'll get tone and messages that WoT tried to convey.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Make Mat Bi and Rand NB

Slay your sacred cows

Let the Lord of Chaos rule

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thoms actor apparently plays guitar and sings already

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wheel of Time happens in our future so calling a guitar anachronistic is silly :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I mean you could just turn that paragraph into the OP

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Everything about Perrin from at least like book 5 to whenever he forges that cool hammer is gonna need a rework

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What if Arangar wasnt a reincarnated chosen. What if they were just a new, trans channeler that the aes sedai didn't catch because they use saidin instead of saidar? Dunno if ftm or mtf would be better. Either way, cast a trans actor

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

th3t00t posted:

I don't see why it's a criticism. 1 Trans character is still infinitely more Trans characters than any of the successful IPs that have made it to TV or Movie like MCU, LOTR, GoT, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.
the entire situation with Aran'gar is a mess and honestly i don't really know how to start fixing it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ll give Jordan credit, he didn’t just make Rand a blademaster immediately like most people would. He’s a loving bumbling idiot with it for a couple books at least.
well he's a blademaster by the end of book 2

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

he channeled a ton in Falme, or did you think he activated his anti-gravity implant when he started walking into the loving sky

Also, his internal dialogue makes it clear he just surprised his enemy, and would have loving bought it if the Seanshan-guy hadn't severely underestimated Rand, thanks to Rand's insistence on starting the fight refusing to even assume the Void, just because he was scared of grabbing Saidin
It doesn't really matter the circumstances. In order to take advantage of the opponent underestimating him - or any other mitigating factor you could come up with - Rand had to be blademaster level himself. A nonblademaster would have ate poo poo even if he was a bit better than the dude expected. Beyond that aspect it was a fairly straightforward duel.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In the context of this discussion, "trained by badasses" and "capable of entering the void" are not advantages, they are basic requirements to be a Blademaster. Rand did not gain the void by being a channeler, he gained it from training with Tam, a nonchanneling Blademaster.

Residual memories, fair enough, but LTT is a part of him, that is his actual experience supporting him. "He used magic, like he did on Bela" is explicitly contradicted by the text, without any indication that the narration is unreliable on this matter.

EDIT: I don't disagree that he had the skill but not the mental to be a Blademaster, I don't think that contradicts my point of "you have to be at least blademaster level to take advantage of a blademaster's mistake and beat them with it"

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 21, 2021

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

There's not actually any such thing as "blademaster level", it's just a special club for sword murder.
there is presumably a level at which everyone would agree you are a blademaster, otherwise the alternative method of becoming a blademaster doesnt make sense.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Start with trans actors playing trans characters and work from there. It won't guarantee they get it right but it'll help

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think I’ve said it before, but after watching that show I think Bruce Spence would make a pretty darn good Lews Therin.
i mean if they announced Bruce Spence as Rand al'Thor tomorrow I'd watch it so sure

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bad news - second draft is ghostwritten by Terry Goodkind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rand makes out with Elayne for like a week and everyone treats it like she climbed Dragonmount and planted a flag in him. Rand thinks she hates him until like half the series later, when he finally meets her again. It isn't a hot take to say that the girls are kinda treating him as property and discussing who he belongs to, that's text.

But Rand is a willing participant and is totally able to exert his own will on the situation. You could say it's not a healthy relationship and I'd ask you if there's anything healthy about Rand between books like, 2 and 13? Rand is desperately clinging to whatever comfort he can find, when its available, and trying not to think to hard about what comes after, because what comes after is death.

Aviendha believes she betrayed Elayne because she broke the spirit of her promise. If Elayne had told her she could get it, Aviendha wouldn't have spent all that time sharpening a knife. Once it's all out on the table, Rand, Elayne and Aviendha all hop aboard pretty quickly. The only one with any misgivings seems to be Min, who feels trapped by the situation (but she felt trapped just falling in love with Rand). The fact that they eventually do try to communicate makes it healthier than almost anything else Rand does during those books lol.