Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

How are u posted:

Well gently caress. I got into these books in undergrad like 12 years ago and now this thread has caused me to buy The Eye of the World on kindle.

Here's to the $130 I'm inevitably going to spend on that poo poo over the next year.

I'm planning on skipping books 6-9 myself, and probably a good bit of 5 if necessary. There's wiki summaries if I just can't handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's in a lot of the dialogue, especially between him and Egwene. It comes up between him and the other boys as well. To me it's mostly just a case of telling and not showing, reminding us the reader that he deep down wants an adventure despite the thoughts in his head being exactly opposite. The sword thing in Baerlon stands out especially because it's himself saying, "Oh man I've been waiting for the day that I could wear a sword in a city," but the preceding 200 pages mention nothing of the sort. It's then dropped entirely until Shadar Logoth and the reference to the mayor's map, 100 pages later.

This thread made me start a reread, and he does actually bring up that he's daydreamed about adventures, or talked about it with the other boys before. He doesn't say it to anyone, but it's part of his POV that he's wanted to go on an adventure.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Right, it makes sense. You're a boy from a small farm town. Adventure sounds great. Until your father is almost murdered, your hometown burns down, and now you are told you have no choice but to adventure or everyone you love will die.
Oh and also your adventure will involve running from manifestations of evil chasing you that will eat you and your friends if they catch you. Ps you don't know anything about fighting have fun :)

I didn't say he still wanted to go on an adventure, he just wanted to when he was a kid. It did not turn out like he expected.

Edit: Also, page 91 of Eye of the World he does say he daydreamed of going on adventures, and he talks about it several times once he grabs Tam's sword that he used to play around with Mat and Perrin like they were heroes.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 27, 2019

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

91 of the paper back is just him stumbling after Egwene. Maybe we should go back chapter markers?

We should, I got one of the collections off Kindle. He just put Tam on the litter to drag him back, and he decides to strap the sword to his belt in Chapter 6.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Syncopated posted:

The advantage of a visual medium is that you can have just non-stop braid pulling action going on while also doing other stuff. A bit like showing tits in GoT, really.

It always bugged me though, I've never seen anyone do that in real life. Pulling your hair must hurt like a motherfucker, and she does it constantly.

I'm just hoping for a background tapestry that looks suspiciously like that gif of the entire plot of WoT, with Nynaeve and Egwene tugging braids and smoothing dresses, then Rand runs by in the background with his hair on fire and Mat runs by screaming about dice. Give away the whole plot in the first episode or two just for shits and giggles.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DarkHorse posted:

I read it more as stroking, like playing with her hair more than as a yanking motion

I would think so too, but a couple of times it's mentioned that another character thinks she might just yank her whole braid out because she's so upset and doing it so hard. Anxiously smoothing out your clothes makes sense to me, but pulling your own hair that hard is just weird.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

bloom posted:

In one of the later books someone makes the point that the oath about not lying actually makes people more suspicious about Aes Sedai. Like everyone always assumes they're doing some wordplay pseudo-lying even if they're just trying to tell the truth.

Yeah, that's where I could agree with their attitude. Even the ones who tell you the truth will not tell you the whole truth, or are flat out using it to manipulate whoever they're talking to. They'll admit it, and quite often they're huge dicks to whoever they're around at the time.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

RC Cola posted:

^ exactly. And perrin needs the father figure

Not just a father figure, though. Perrin's arc had a poo poo ton of fighting in it, having someone around like Tam who could justifiably train/lead soldiers and help form an army was pretty important. Tam filled that role perfectly, what with being a blademaster and fairly high ranking in an elite combat unit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pretty sure this is a thing warlords would do all the time. It's less a question of "joining" the nobility and more "replacing it with a new nobility of my choosing" though.

The first king or noble definitely had to kill to make a noble class.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mad Hamish posted:

You actually forgot the best one, Ruby Rhod?

UnbelievABLE!

I believe you mean Roddy Roddy Piper. When he shows up at the Hall of Servants they drat well better have some bubble gum.

And Rod Serling is in the corner narrating the whole thing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ani posted:

I'm doing a reread now and I really hit a wall when I started the Sanderson books. It's not just Mat that he doesn't do well. I found The Gathering Storm somewhat manageable, Towers of Midnight worse, and I can't even bring myself to read A Memory of Light. He did a good job of wrapping up the plot threads but everything just feels so clunky.

If I remember correctly, they did say which parts were written before Sanderson took over. I think it was mostly the Mat stuff that Jordan had already written, but I could be wrong, so any weird inconsistencies I figured were just where Sanderson had to insert a chapter or two somewhere.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I mean Rands reasoning is okay if a bit suspicious most of the time but to everyone around him hes just mumbling to himself, listening to a man in his head. Then he snaps to attention, looks at you and decides life or death, then goes back to mumbling. Lots of difference in his internal thoughts vs actions

Yeah, there's several times where he wonders why everyone is looking at him funny when he's been spending the last 20 minutes wandering around talking to himself. None of the 3 guys think they're acting odd or extraordinary when they do something but everyone else sees what's happening.

It's the same thing when one of them says the other two know how to deal with women, and they all think the same thing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

First one will be a gif of the girls pulling braids while the boys run around on fire in the background, but with the real actors

If they haven't already made something like that, but just waiting until the buildup to the release to put it out I'll be disappointed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I think with a limited budget the way to go with a lot of the magic stuff and especially EotW ending would be getting all artsy / trippy with it. Intense disorientating sound effects, simple visual metaphors like drowning, being hit by waves, angelic choruses, walls of fire, etc, and intentionally editing it so that it all seems to happen out of nowhere and that the real world seems insignificant when all this One Power poo poo is happening.

Eventually with routine magic you can build a simple visual language to show what's going on, like cut to a rosebud opening when a character is trying to embrace saidar, or something. I imagine any CGI "flows" they do will look silly and should be really rare.

Of course you need a good director and editor for this.

Also, lots of dramatic arm and finger movement. Except, yeah, for Nynaeve vs. Moghedien.

It could lead to some interesting reveals too. I know the scene where Brigitte tricks Mat could be done well, but having scenes where some of the characters have no idea that a man was channeling near them might be fun to watch. Done properly it could lead to some really interesting foreshadowing.

Also, it was a pretty fun thing to read when an Asha'man shows up at the rebel camp and goes "There's a man channeling here who's not me" and everyone freaks out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nah, he's one of the Forsaken for sure. He can play crazy and evil really, really well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just have a hard time believing wot can succeed as a show.

I've long had a theory that doorstopper fantasy like wot became popular due to the rise of television; if you wanted something long and immersive, something that took a month rather than a few hours, you needed a book, not a TV show or movie.

I feel like so much of the value of wot comes from things that will be hard to bring to the screen; the huge depth, the details, the internal monologues, etc. Things like Mat shifting his word choice when speaking in the Old Tongue without realizing it, etc.

I am *probably * wrong. But my fear is that if you strip out the text and leave just the story, all you have is a fairly generic fantasy bildungsroman, Hercules or Xena with "trollocs". And if that's all there is, it won't be good.

OTOH this would be a great time for "are we the baddies?: fantasy version" to get some traction. If they get that WoT is a post Vietnam narrative and develop it with that consciousness then it has a chance to be genuinely good.

I think that's what Wizard's First Law turned into, although the show was better than the books at that point.

I have read ideas from people on how you could do things like Mat changing languages that made sense to me, so people have thought about it and I think it's worth a shot at least. Maybe it'll fall apart but maybe not.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

If they do both the Winternight trolloc attack and Moiraine's Manetheren story the first episode will be reasonably representative, I think. You've got trollocs vs villagers, Matrix agent-style Myrddraal, some fireball-throwing from Moiraine, some really loving flashy destruction from Queen Eldrene. You gotta build up to the ghosts, ninjas, men in black and the dragon-riders.

Toss in some Baalzamon nightmare and E1 is a pretty solid hook.

Rand sitting up suddenly after he wakes up from the Baalzamon dream followed by a cut to credits seems pretty cliched, but it would probably look good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Pleads posted:

I always liked how Tam came out of that one meeting with Rand. "What the gently caress did you do to my son," at the Aes Sedai instead of being angry at Rand himself.

That was a damned good scene, he just did not give a poo poo what Cadsuane did to him, she was going to hear his piece no matter how lovely she was being.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, he'd banished her under pain of death at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

There's desperate measures, and there's what she did. Tam had no idea what was really going on, and a significant part of it was caused by Cadsuane and the other Aes Sedai's treatment of him. If she'd been honest and told him the whole story, it might have gone differently. She didn't, and Tam rightfully called her out on her poo poo. She really needed that comeuppance Tam gave her. She's not infallible, nor is she in charge.

Any of the Aes Sedai's plans generally boiled down to "Lock his rear end up, we let him out under controlled circumstances to fulfill the prophecies and otherwise leave him shielded in a locked room." There were variations, but even Cadsuane's wasn't much different. The pattern was obviously going to force the prophecies regardless of Aes Sedai actions, so how they thought their plan would work is beyond me.

Hell, they didn't even know about the Seafolk or Aiel prophecies, what was their plan when an army of Aiel showed up and said "Hey, hand him the gently caress over"?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

silvergoose posted:

"This is the Good Place podcast. I'm the host, Marc Evan Jackson. I play Shawn."

Yes. Yes there is. I'm listening to the whole archives, and it basically feels like an entire extra season of the show, highly recommend. Guests include directors, creator, main cast, but also visual fx, composer, set, etc.

Neednoggle (I know I spelled it wrong) is the best though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Vavrek posted:

Something just occurred to me, as I considered Perrin's reactions being those of a young/immature man: people in Randland don't celebrate birthdays, do they?

I swear there was a reference to everyone becoming a year older on a particular holiday, like every Spring Festival everyone gets a year older or something like that. I'm guessing it's not too much of an issue though, really. It's not like someone's going to say "Hey, you're not 21, no wine in the inn."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Yes, and then he explains it in more detail to Elayne who chortles "taste of his own medicine".

Even though he doesn't, y'know, rape anyone.

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up. Every woman Mat chases, even the ones who aren't interested, make it quite clear that he backs off if it's unwanted. He's flirty but not pushy at all, so it always boggled my mind how much Elayne and Nynaeve poo poo on him for it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

awesmoe posted:

gotta wonder why they didnt teach the warders to use quarterstaves

They don't have Heron marked quarterstaves. Also, I'm betting that warder who was all gung ho about Mat kicking some rear end knew how to use one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Colonel Cool posted:

I'd expect them to focus more on unstable rage crazy man, personally.

Done right it could be pretty cool. Have most of an episode switch back and forth between his internal thoughts and another character watching him do stuff. The muttering to himself and randomly laughing and other crazy poo poo he does followed by the same scene from Rand's POV, that kind of thing.

There's a lot of scenes in the books where if they're done right they could be amazing, but so easy to mess up.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

And that's basically the defensive ring around Emond's Field in TSR. They didn't beat plowshares into swords for everyone (though they did come up with some, for a relative few), they planted stakes around the perimeter, sharpened those, and gave everyone in the circle polearms.

The Borderlanders had a bunch as well, they were just more heavy cavalry than infantry. Also, they trained basically from birth, so sword fighting was a little bit more effective.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

bloom posted:

I thought she gave them the ol' spicy frying pan

Whatever she did, someone's gonna have some insane butcher and kitchen knives.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

A train wreck is a good summation. Probably helps he’s not a douchebag and the respect he garners is earned. Guy saves a small army from being decimated on multiple occasions, of course they would want to follow him into the pit of hell.

There was a neat comparison somewhere, where someone was talking about this amazing general whose entire army would do the same, except the guy was bugfuck insane. Like, ordered them to cut down a forest for looking at him funny and then ordering them to bury the trees with full honors that all of the army went along with because at the end of the day he gave a poo poo if they lived or died and always won.

Mat's kind of like that without the insanity. He really does give a poo poo about his soldiers and wants them to live and so far always wins. Of course an army would follow him to hell and back, the other generals are just fine with throwing dudes to their deaths for honor and glory, Mat's trying to win so they can go home and relax.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nope, just an Aes Sedai who wanted to ally with Luthair Hawkwing and underestimated his hatred of channelers. She made the collar for him and then taught others how to make them for the invasion force before being collared herself.

Given Ishamael's influence on the Hawkwing empire it's possible he seeded the idea but I don't think he was loose during the time of the Seanchan colonization.

There was some talk from the Seanchan that the Aes Sedai in that area had been acting as crueler than usual feudal lords as well. They weren't part of the White Tower and weren't bound by the oaths, and that's why she figured that sort of gift would make them allies. It is an unreliable narrator in that point though, as it was given as the Seanchan history they say publicly.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Lord Awkward posted:

Didn't Lews Therin's voice even at some point start adding his dead wife's name and maybe others to Rand's list when Rand was reciting it? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm sure that having his hallucination/previous incarnation reinforcing the list certainly wasn't helping him.

Yeah, Lews Therin did start adding names after a while. I forget exactly when, but Rand does comment on how he noticed it but just went along with it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

UltraRed posted:

Perrin going DBZ and magically jumping around TAN Is one of my least favorite parts of the series.

I liked most of it, if for no other reason than it set up one of the greatest lines in the series and a well deserved comeuppance for a character.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gnoman posted:

Even the more solid prophecies in this setting are often fulfilled in ways completely different from how they are Foretold, and the prophecies concerning the Seanchan after the Last Battle are delivered in ways more dubious than most.

And the ones from the rings in Rhuidean were specifically called out by the other Wise Ones as possible futures, not something set in stone. Presumably some of them saw something bad and by working against it stopped it, otherwise they would have said it was unalterable. They had no reason to lie to her, they want to get the best they can out of these possibilities. They even show Aviendha changing it by having them involved in the Dragon's Peace where her visions had them on their own.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Perrin:
“I can’t trust Elyas, that dude is crazy!”
“I can’t trust Faile’s parents, Saldeans are crazy!”
“I can’t trust my superhuman nose that smells Faile’s emotions, women are crazy!”

To be fair to Perrin, Faile was a little unhelpful with what she wanted, Faile's parents were a little nuts, and Elyas was a dude who escaped as a Warder and lived in the woods talking to wolves.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gnoman posted:

A pretty huge percentage of the common complaints are from people forgetting that whole incomplete information part.

It does have some merit though. Eventually a significant amount of people can Travel, and they actually use it to send messages on a regular basis. The Black Tower uses it fairly often to scout out areas where their armies are to find the enemy as you don't need a very good impression of the area to go to somewhere close. There's no reason the Aes Sedai, known to have agents and spies everywhere, wouldn't be using that constantly to find out about areas where they have concerns.

Not bringing the three Ta'varen together is one thing, but at some point someone should have said "Ok, the Dragon is definitely back. Maybe we should actually talk to the Sea Folk and the Aes Sedai and some of the other countries about the upcoming apocalypse". The Aes Sedai alone should have been using it to try and control all the other countries, or poo poo, just contacting their spy networks in a faster way than pigeons. That's where my frustration comes from. It's one thing to have incomplete information, but to willfully ignore a way to help mitigate that is something else entirely.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

this was basically siuans plan right? keep him on a leash and clear his path, make sure he survives to the last battle. then elaida came along and was basically being manipulated by the black ajah into never doing anything useful

It was, I'm not saying poo poo wouldn't have gotten destroyed by idiots/Black Ajah or whoever, but the fact that literally 2 people had that idea and everyone else said "I don't know, maybe we should steal the next door neighbors cows after they vomit beetles until they die" is kind of odd.

I'll admit there's a lot of stuff that is explained by incomplete information, that's all good. But there comes a point where it's just willful ignorance and that's what I think a lot of people have a problem with. It's just easier to say no one talks to each other as that happens in lots of media and it's frustrating there too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gnoman posted:

You mean her vassal having a claim on an entire rival country? Meaning that Andor would have a chance of incorporating Saldea in a generation or two? Feudal monarchs love that poo poo, and a similar situation already existed with Elayne herself having a claim on Cairhien.

Yeah, easy enough to say "We'll have a couple children get married so now Trakand can have a claim on Saldea too". It was handled so piss poorly, even taking into account she was young. Just ask Thom for some advice, I'm sure he could have come up with some agreement that wouldn't have been dumb as poo poo.

As for Faile and Perrin's vassals, the highest ranking was basically a deposed queen from a country where the queen was barely in charge of the capital, I'm sure it could have been smoothed over with some other arrangement or treaty.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand, Elayne suggest their children marry, and Perrin shoots that down with "we don't do arranged marriages in the Two Rivers. Ever." Faile offers "heavily encouraging" some of their children to marry each other, and Elayne accepts that.

Also, historically, the Two Rivers would have become part of Saldaea in case the two inheritance lines intersect, instead of Andor assimilating Saldaea. Just look at France, the Normandy, and England. So I think Elayne actually handled that part right.

Completely blanked on Perrin saying no to that, but the rest could have been handled way better than just saying "it's treason, we should kill him" to a dude who basically saved a chunk of Elayne's realm that had been ignored for generations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Armed insurrection and a seccession movement? That's treason any way you look at it.

Elayne needed a graceful way to let Perrin's people out without giving the rest of her people ideas. That's how you stop being a reigning monarch.

Except it wasn't either of those things, they were abandoned by the crown and had to defend themselves. Even Morgase admitted they hadn't seen anyone from the Andorian government in literal generations, no taxes, no services, no nothing. They didn't even think they could ask for help from the Queen because as far as they knew she didn't rule them or anyone near them. As far as Caemlyn was concerned they didn't exist. The graceful way would have been for them all to say publicly "Thanks Perrin for protecting this corner of my lands from those nasty Trollocs and your help in the last battle. As a reward for loyal service I make you the lord of the Two Rivers and make you one of the houses of Andor".

The people think it's because their queen is good, and you can do whatever you need to in private to make it look like he barely skated treason charges, maybe he has to have his first kid raised in Caemlyn as a ward, or whatever would make the other houses look at it like he's on a short leash and could be killed at any time. We do see Elayne's point of view, and it's mostly "Fucker tried to steal my crown" not "Thank gently caress I didn't get invaded by Trollocs from the rear end end of nowhere, how do I make this look good for me while keeping the other Houses in line so they don't try this poo poo too?"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

silvergoose posted:

I think she told Rand that she totally didn't tell Moiraine that specific fact, during those scenes.

Doesn't mean it wasn't completely obvious by her responses or reactions or whatever, of course.

Yeah, she wouldn't have to tell her. Any reluctance to talk about it or not be upfront as to who their birth mother was would be suspicious enough. Mat and Perrin wouldn't consider it a secret who their parents are, and they know they're not adopted.

And I always wondered about the Sanderson hate when he finished the book, as most of what I heard when it came out turned out to be stuff that Jordan had written and they left in without any changes. A big chunk of the Mat stuff in the Tower of Ghenjei was Jordan if I remember right, and most of the hate was for Sanderson somehow screwing that up without having touched it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

silvergoose posted:

I swear, the line from hammar yelling "who was the greatest swordsman of all time" is so, so good.

It was when he covered the bets for Galad and Gawyn I knew poo poo was about to go down. The guy who trains Warders knows what's about to happen and just wants some entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

Either way though, I don't think most of the armies we see are supposed to be on the level of peasant mobs--soldiers are usually depicted as having access to metalled armor of some sort, and pikes are very common infantry weapons. Either of those should make a head-on collision very bad for the Aiel. For that matter, Elayne's civil war chapters are constantly going on about the difference between the relatively small number of guards she has access to, the rather larger number of peasants-with-sharp-object-levies she has access to, and her awareness of why trying to substitute the latter for the former is a very bad idea.

I think the pikes being so common was kind of a holdover from fighting Trollocs. Only the Borderlanders have done so recently, but that's what every army always had so that's what they keep using. Them being effective against non-Trollocs was just a bonus to most of the armies I'd assume.

And the dice in Mat's head were fun, I just hated waiting for it. They always started at the end of a chapter and then you had to go through most of a book before they stopped.