Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They still need to reveal casting for Fain, Min, Bella, Lews Therin, and Ishamael but I'm hella hyped so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mat Cauthon posted:

- Padan Fain (https://i.pinimg.com/474x/6c/54/d6/6c54d6d2cd76ac891df2d06afeadab4a--book-art-robert-jordan.jpg)
- Loial (https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_small/5/50734/2618940-loial.jpg)

But for the life of me I can't remember if it was one of the artbooks or something else. I remember it being some of the better "official" art though.

These are from the tabletop RPG rulebook.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've been listening to a WoT podcast where they're re-reading the series and going chapter by chapter, and there's was some brief discussion about the dark one and the creator potentially being the same entity when they were reading the later chapters of EotW. It was an idea that never really occurred to me, but I think it explains some of the stuff at the end of that books and when you think about the duality of light and dark, men and women, saidar and saidin, all throughout the book I think it works in a dumb head-canon way. It's unfortunate that there are bits of the series that will never feel like they got a proper payoff and there are some things that will just never be explained (that pipe!) but it's a fun ride and I am ultimately satisfied with where it ended up considering RJ died and everything.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

link to podcast?

I'll edit stuff like that into the first post.

http://wotspoilers.com/

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

DarkHorse posted:

There's some fuckery with Elaida and while Morgase is getting mindfucked by one of the Forsaken too, right? I know Thom and Morgase having a history is a big part of the story at times

Short background on Thom, I'll use spoilers on more plot important information to be consistent with the conversation.

Thom was a court bard for Morgase when she was an Andorian noble. The current heir to the Andorian throne at that time is a woman named Tigraine Mantear. Tigraine is married to Taringail Damondred, who is the nephew of Lamen Damondred, the Kind of Cairhein, and they have a son together named Galadedrid. Tigraine disappears because her mother's Aes Sedai advisor has a foretelling and tells Tigraine that she must abandon her life and travel to the Aiel Wastes or the future of Andor and the world is doomed. This causes a succession crisis in Andor, Morgase ends up marrying Taringail for political reasons and with Thom's help and mastery of daes dae'mar becomes Queen of Andor. Taringail and Morgase eventually have two children, Gwayne and Elayne. Lamen causes the Aiel War after cutting down Avendoraldera, and after his death Taringail is denied the throne because of his marriage to Morgase. Thom learns that Taringail is planning to kill Morgase to seize her throne and proclaim himself King of Andor, but before this can happen he dies in a "hunting accident" and Morgase is out of danger. Thom and Morgase become lovers for a period of time, up until Thom learns of his nephew Owen running into trouble with some Aes Sedai. Thom asks Morgase to intervene since she's the loving queen and also has ties to the White Tower and an Aes Sedai advisor, but her advisor Elaida basically tells Thom to gently caress off since it's none of his business what the Tower does. Thom bounces and decides to go help Owen, but by the time he reaches him it's too late. Owen can channel and is stilled by Reds without a trial at the White Tower, basically an extrajudicial act that goes in violation of Tower Law. Owen eventually kills himself after being stilled, Thom goes back to Andor and publicly calls out Elaida and the Tower, pissing off Morgase who puts a bounty on his head. Thom again skips town and kinda bumbles around for years as a traveling Gleeman until he takes a job in a backwards part of Andor called the Two Rivers.

I really hope they don't cut Thom, he's a major secondary character in addition to being a badass. They haven't mentioned anything about Fain either, and he's a major antagonist of the first four or five books.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 14, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wheel of Time: nope. Men fuuuucked uuuuup, and specifically Our Boy Protagonist hosed up. And now he has a chance to do it over and get it right this time. Just a chance. But isn't a do-over a powerful fantasy?

I have won again, Lews Therin.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's probably both. They're clearly descriptive names of sword techniques but it's up to the reader to imagine what Parting the Silk or Heron Wading in the Rushes look like.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
A ton of stuff happens in Towers of Midnight.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh yeah and one of you might be the reincarnation of the person who directly caused the breaking of the world and the tainting of the male half of the source. Good luck!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

The Lord Bude posted:

Not Tremalking.

This should give you all the information you need:

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Alviarin_Freidhen

That website is an incredibly comprehensive reference source for anything WoT related.

Based on that link, it was Tremalking!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Every episode ends with a close up of Verin's eyes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Elayne and Gawyn are stereotypical fantasy heroes, they're both beautiful, blond royals from not-Camelot and they're both giant idiots who get people killed and think they're always right even when they're told to their faces that they're not.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am Rand al'Tho! I am Funko Pop #2,278!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

There's not a lot of nudity after this IIRC? Some people being taken gai'shain by the Aiel, and Elayne bathing, I can't recall more instances right now.

Most of the rituals involving women "require" being nekked. For example, women are naked when they travel to Rhuidean, while men are not. Aes Sedai are naked when they are tested to become Accepted and Aes Sedai. Women are naked when they undergo the sister bond ceremony.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

bloom posted:

There's also the aiel sauna tents which are supposedly co-ed but only seem to include women.

Also I think the third book has a scene where Perrin walks in on Moiraine just chilling naked for some reason. I can't be arsed to look it up and maybe it made more sense but I recall it being a bit of a "wait what?" moment.

He goes to talk to her about Faile and walks in on her as she's changing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Either drop dong or don't show anything, I am an equal opportunity nude lookers so all or nothing in my opinion.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sab669 posted:

Was this ever used in a "meaningful" way? Like did X see Y in a vision and then go, "Oh poo poo I gotta get to Y immediately"?

To the best of my poor memory, it was always just like a "Huh I wonder Y is up to" sort of thing that never proved meaningful -- if so, then I'm sure this would just be scrapped for TV.

Doesn't Perrin keep seeing visions of Rand and those drive him to leave the Two Rivers to find him in the lead up to Dumai's Wells?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There's a pronunciation guide in the back of the books if you're not sure how these things are supposed to be said. Aside from that, have fun!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Animation is really expensive and also takes a long time to do. From storyboard to finished product we're talking 9 months lag time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am by no means an expert and I'm sure things have changed in a decade but they mention many times on commentaries on The Simpsons and Futurama that it takes between 6 to 8 months to get an episode produced, from script to recording to storyboarding and to get final animation back from Korea. Apologies if I was incorrect.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I just want to see the complete story. I will be very disappointed if it only goes for a season or two and then ends. Amazon was able to get four seasons out of a 240 page book with The Man in the High Castle, they can get 6-7 seasons out of these for sure.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There was one PC game from 1999 and a table top core book + expansion from the early 2000s. TV/movie rights were scooped up by some holding company years ago and they only resolved the ownership issues within the last couple of years, leading to the current production. I don't really think anything aside from the Winter Dragon short, which was only produced so the holding company could retain the rights, ever really got past the planning stages. And I am kinda grateful for that, I read a long time ago there were talks to make a multi-episode made for broadcast TV style adaption of Eye of the World and I can't imagine that would have been very good with mid-90s effects and writing.

e: There was also a comic book adaption that was being produced by a small publisher that was releasing issues on a wildly inconsistent basis. I think it took them the better part of a decade to get through EotW?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Hopefully they have elephants too, unlike GoT :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

And him losing Moiraine can equally easily be read as "finally he got rid of that meddling know-it-all and can do what he knows is best".

I mean if you want to completely misread the entire plot thread then sure, you can read it like that.

e: Her name is always first on Rand's list.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 20, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The True Power also is not freely available for anyone to use, it has to be given by the DO directly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't see why that matters? If anything, it makes it worse as the only way to overcome bio truths is to consort with Satan.

I think in the world as portrayed in the books that idea of the True Power is intended to tempt with possibilities beyond the reach of the One Power and the cost of that is selling your soul to evil, regardless of gender. I feel it's less about a unified power for men and women, and more about the temptation of challenging the Creator directly, this is what Lanfear's ultimate goal is. The questions about gender and channeling are definitely ones worth raising but we'll never get any definitive answers since Jordan's dead.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

bitprophet posted:

I totally spaced on this being a thing! How did folks back then get multiple names?

Third names were given to people who contributed something to humanity, like a scientific breakthrough or created a great work of art.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I saw this pop up, pretty cool to see first draft stuff and where it eventually went.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

Weren’t the Cairhienins or someone described as having their heads shaved and topknotted like medieval Japanese lords?

Their military and nobles do but I've always imagined that they're more like 18th century france with the descriptions of the women having high piled hair and giant dresses. All of the cultures are a mix of a lot of things, which is one of the thing I like about the series and hope they nail in the show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

mossyfisk posted:

If we're going to get into "The First Age" business... Jesus of Nazareth is the Dragon Reborn, right?

Yes. Using spoilers because we have some people reading for the first time in the thread:

wounds on the palms of his hands, crown of thorns, wound in the side, produces food from nothing to feed the hungry, dies and comes back to life, his return signals the beginning of the end times.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gambrinus posted:

Any more of this floating around?

I've been looking around (the image was posted in the discord for that podcast I mentioned pages and pages ago) but all I can find is this blog post about someone checking out RJ's notes and drafts.

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-genesis-of-wheel-of-time.html?m=1

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ChubbyChecker posted:

The book series is almost as old as the bible so there are no reasons for spoilers.

I want new readers to be surprised when they get to the New Testament .

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It would make sense to give Perrin's family more fleshing out, if only to make his return to the Two Rivers in Shadow Rising and the discovery that they're all dead have more dramatic weight.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's a time jump forward with a flashback, it's unnecessary and doesn't really work but I think Jordan was trying to break up the monotony of "Rand and Mat stop at a small village and play for food, and then a small farm to do chores for food, and then another small village" but it's very out of place and confusing to most first time readers. I know I was very confused as well when I first read the book. I was also very confused at the prologue during my first read and re-read it a few times to make sure I wasn't missing something, why did I go from a palace to some guy walking down a road??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Closer to two years, the first book opens at the start of spring (Bel Tine is a spring festival), when they get to Toman Head via the portal stone it's the beginning of fall, and in the beginning of book 3 they have been held up in the mountains in the winter, waiting to see what Rand is going to do. The following summer doesn't end because of the Dark One's influence and once they use the Bowl of the Winds it sorta snaps back to where it should be with the intense winter of Winter's Heart. Then it's spring again by the time the series is wrapping up. But the last batter is described as taking place over weeks so probably end of summer by the time everything is truly finished?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Billy Zane for Ishamael or just cancel the whole thing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
and
Danny Devito
as "Herid Fel"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Atlas Hugged posted:

When do Moiraine POVs start? As early as book 2?

The internet tells me that chapter 53 of EotW is a Moiraine POV. Then there are four in TGH.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. Mazrim Taim was Demandred all along.

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess that would depend on what titles he used in Tear but I can't remember those off the top of my head.

Rand is approached by the Council of Nine (well only 8 at the time) after he kills Sammael. Mattin Stepaneos, the former king, disappeared (he was hiding in the White Tower) so they offer the Laurel Crown to Rand. They tell Rand that he saved the city from starvation by continuously sending grain from Tear and that the people would not oppose him ruling. He takes the crown, which they rename the Crown of Swords.