Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
One thing I really wish the show would do is open and close each season with the opening/closing quotes from the books because they're some of my favorite poo poo, like

The Karaethon Cycle posted:

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide . . .
Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

is dope af and reads like a gospel to me but i guess there's no good way to do it in live action. Books continue to be the superior form of entertainment, sorry tv and video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure what you're referencing, but there was a line in an earlier episode about Aiel spotted on Almoth Plain, that's where Perrin met up with them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm hella stoked for next week but I am also telling myself that nothing they do outside of filming the images in my head is going to make me completely happy. I still remember reading the end of TGH 23 years ago, I remember feeling a tingle run down my spine when Mat blows the horn and fog rolls in. Nothing is gonna match that. But still, looking forward to it and been enjoying this take on the story so far.

The aiel are perfect though, please for the love of the light let them get to Rhuidean and do it right.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Booooo it really seems like they're gonna skip a lot of Dragon Reborn which sucks cause it's good

The show makes me want to reread the books cause of all the stuff they're gonna cut, hah

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I wonder if they gonna give Mat the "I have never served you, Father of Lies" quote cause of his tea trip and because it's one of the best lines from the whole book.

Stop leaving out cool lines, tv show!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ahah I didn't know aquaman was a hero of the horn, but sure

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Changes I liked:

Perrin actually taking out Bornhald, it makes his son going so nuts in the two rivers way more personal and Perrin has to deal with actually being responsible for his death.

Mat making a spear and stabbing Rand, way better way to introduce the wound that doesn't heal for the show.

Elayne healing Rand, a real good way to pay homage to the book 1 scene but also gives their relationship a much firmer foundation, she saved his life the first time they met. I think it's a way stronger way to build them having a relationship compared to the book, honestly.

Changes i didn't like even if I get why they made them:

ingtar just being some dude, one who apparently wouldn't instantly recognize Aiel maidens. yeah bud, you're right, they do seem like they know the ways of war. :rolleyes:

Mat being a Hero of the Horn because Mat Cauthon is no bloody hero.

Why did they change the horn, didn't it look as described in the book the first time it showed up? it looks like a weird conch shell harmonica now, boo.

Book Nynaeve knows she can only channel when she's angry. show Nynaeve doesn't seem to realize that and is kinda stuck looking sad a lot? she should be constantly furious, not helpless.

Not liking Avihenda equating the Dragon Reborn with the Car'a'carn because that's not how it works in the books!!!

Overall pretty good, it gives me some hope they will do some of the better bits from TDR and TSR next season, but also I feel like things I would prioritize in the story don't line up with things they prioritize so who knows! Hopefully we aren't waiting until the next Trump administration for season 3

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends

People shielding the Dragon Reborn and working for a forsaken must be darkfriends therefore blow that poo poo up asap

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh I also liked the guy dressed like a old school stage magician in the cold open.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pleads posted:

Except Lan points out there may be innocents and she says "I'll kill 1000 innocents before I let him die"

She only needs to convince herself that it's justified, same with lying and anything else an Aes Sedai does. She also says in the books that she would kill any of the boys herself if she thought the Dark One would get them so she isn't above that kind of thinking.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So if you a’dam someone in control of the a’dam you’re wearing it just cancels it out?

The show a'dam works differently and I think it's supposed to mirror the male a'dam from the book more, Egwene basically linked them again so they could exert their will over each other and she, being a badass, out willed Renna and took total control. it's not an absolute control like the book, Renna should have been throwing fireballs through Egwene with no chance of her saying no. but I get them not wanting to damsel Egwene and give her agency over her escape, plus it shows she's willful as gently caress and perfect to be trained by wise ones and take over the tower.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You can be critical and not aggressive about it but also people can just skip past posts that they don't agree with, there's no need to refute any and all criticisms. The show is nothing how I picture it in my head and they have omitted or altered moments I find fundamental to the characters but also its fun to go through the story again and see what is different and what parts they did manage to do great.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lol this show isn't going past season 3, I can only hope the ai in charge of programming at amazon is a fan

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The optimal length of a show should be as long or as short as the show creators think is required to tell their story. Normalize non standard season and series lengths

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes but it's also explicit in the books that damane don't have a choice to channel, but in the show its more like the a'dam is only really to link and cause pain. How else could Egwene refuse to channel at the end of the episode before the tower gets blasted?

E: Isn't there a scene in the show where Egwene tries to touch the bracelet and her arm gets twisted back?

E2: as to the issue of damane freeing each other, I think if you extrapolate out then yes, it would be a real issue for the Seanchen. But, think about the Seanchen culture and history, to the Seanchen the idea of not collaring a channeler is unthinkable, and we even have book examples of collared damane voluntarily returning to their sul'dam. The concept of a damane freeing another just isn't something Seanchen would think of because to them, it would never happen.

Overall, while I get why they gave Egwene more agency in her escape, I don't really like the change from a book story perspective. I do accept it as a show story thing, though.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 14, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Loial survived the dagger because they had to scramble to finish the episodes due to covid/losing a primary actor. Chalk it down to him being an ogier.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Why would a person whose shirt says "Ta'varen At Work" spend all of their time reading a children's harem anime?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
She's a consulting producer so at the very least she's getting a check

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They also say he's a darkfriend who did kill white cloaks so it's a real minor change in the long run.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They've clearly changed the meaning of the seals in the show so there's no reason they can't have the attack on Shayol Ghul, the sealing of the bore, and the aftermath as the cold open to an episode. I wouldn't be surprised if they show it as the opening to whatever episode the glass columns feature in.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

What the hell is happening in this thread?

Who are these posters??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

nine-gear crow posted:

"These don't belong to me, I think there's been a mistake."

"What's your name again?"

"Logain Ablar."

"Logain Ablar! You ARE the ASHAMAN."

"No I'm not the ASHAMAN."

"Well, as far as the state of Andor is concerned... you are."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Under this sign he will conquer

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The Boys just got renewed for a fifth season before the fourth even aired so I think wot has a good chance of going the distance

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Either put callandor in rhuidean (since it shows up in one of the flashbacks already) or keep it in tear and have Rand bring the aiel to the stone instead of them being there by weaving of the pattern. You could switch out callandor for the choedan kal, simplify the cleansing of saidin, it would still work.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

Also Frodo receives Sting as part of an emotional scene with Bilbo that does a lot of heavy character lifting. Rand getting Callandor doesn't carry that same weight. The Choeden Kal are way more important in the magical mcguffin department imo, they tie into the theme of men and women working together in a far cleaner way

Rand taking callandor is him accepting that he is the Dragon Reborn, it's very important to his character in the book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

That's what he did in Season 2 though

I was talking specifically about the books but rereading your post you were talking specifically about the show, so we agree specifically.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ravenson posted:

I think they should adapt all the sa'angreal out. Why ever try to be true to the books when you can piss all over them and still have half the so-called fans say that it was necessary because walking all the way to a toilet is just too challenging for the modern adapter?

lol just reread the books you loving dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Oasx posted:

For some reason they decided that Rand needed to cut his hair, despite his hair color being a significant story element, it’s just as odd as giving Loial that awful wig.

He's hiding in Cairhien, a city where his height and hair color make him stand out.