Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I was going to go with "Wheel of Time: Get a loving life. It's only tits and the Dragon Reborn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well, then, the Ian McShane quote is entirely accurate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Billy Zane with "proper motivation" for Ishamael, or bust.

Other "major" characters we can meet in Book 1 that I would like to see casting on, grouped in order:

Tam

Thom
Morgase
Elaida
Gareth Bryne
Elayne
Galad
Gawyn

Agelmar
Masema

Balthamel
Aginor

Someshta

_____

Also, I'm not sure if casting the other Forsaken should be announced early. Most of them show up unnamed in the various Forsaken Social Gatherings until (much much) later on in the books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 7, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

They can cut books 7-11 of Perrin's arc into 2-3 episodes.
Cut out the prophet entirely actually.

Hell no. Masema is a great recurring antagonist in his own right and Perrin setting up the mother of all combination shots in books 9-11 is one of the most underrated segments of the books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 8, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're publishing some cast shots. I wonder if we aren't getting / they cut Thom.

The only shot I see so far is the main Two Rivers kids plus Moiraine and Lan, so I dunno. I mean, yeah, Thom is a member of the party until Whitebridge.... but individual subgroups of these characters also spend tons of time with like, Elyas, etc., and we've not seen him either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

He explicitly wanted to copy it from what I remember. Like his goal was to do "Tolkien, but women are in power" and see what was different.

Turns out making Gandalf into a woman doesn't change the Fellowship much :shrug:

The hobbits are taller though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I really hope they don't cut Thom, he's a major secondary character in addition to being a badass. They haven't mentioned anything about Fain either, and he's a major antagonist of the first four or five books.

In terms of economy of storytelling they could parcel out his impact to the other characters, but I sincerely hope not because the infinitely layered onion that is the badassery of Thom Merrilin is one of the pure joys of the books.

Wheel of Time: nope. Men fuuuucked uuuuup, and specifically Our Boy Protagonist hosed up. And now he has a chance to do it over and get it right this time. Just a chance. But isn't a do-over a powerful fantasy?

How popular are do-over fantasies in general? I guess there's a distinction in really bad wish-fulfillment where the character goes back in time to fix specific things, bone their sister, and get rich off the stock market, but the WoT one is a lot more philosophical than that. Also, Rand bones a distant/distaff cousin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 14, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yeah, I can't think of many if any that take the same angle.

One thing that's really striking me is that I hope they have enough sense to just let Eye of the World go straight from page to screen, preferably with a director who knows how to shoot horror.

It's just very, very well structured for an episodic show. The narrative arcs each take about five chapters. Shadar Logoth is your "mid season finale" for the first season. Seocnd half of the season is the different arcs, then you reunify in Caemlyn for the Ways and the Eye as your season ender.

The later seasons they'll need to go more off script but the first books are tight and I hope they stick close close close to the page.

Speaking of horror, yeah, Ishamael does some hosed up poo poo to Rand in those dreams.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
By fantasy default most people still think they're European dark, so like, still white.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

calandryll posted:

Book 6 is the worst one to skip. It probably has the best last quarter of a book with Dumai's Well.

Nah, that's still book 5. In terms of endings, 6 is good, but nowhere near as good as 5.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Aes Sedai VVitches

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Affi posted:

Wow they're actually making the show?

They started shooting a week ago.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Another character/arc they cannot gently caress up is Verin, because holy poo poo.

The problem is a lot of the is-she-isn't-she in the text is based on observations in her own POV. So that's going to be harder to show. You'd have to be super explicit with certain things like when she shows up with the "Moiraine sent me" business.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

The Winter's Heart ebook cover is the best of the new covers, it's really amazing.

I also appreciate LoC's being straight up front with the ninjas fighting the men in black.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

and cleaning up some plot threads *cough* Perrin *cough*

It's actually pretty loving funny that RJ managed to plot these things all together for Perrin to take care of at once:

Shaido
Masema
"Maighdin"
Working with the Corenne as a partner/ally instead of as a subject nation

DIRECTLY following which he:

Resolves his wolfbrother issues
Forges his hammer
Takes over the Children of the Light

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

We’ll see, every ancillary project associated with the books has failed. Remember the couple games that were supposed to come out based on the books? Yea nobody does. The show has been in production hell forever too hasn’t it? I vaguely remember hearing rumors about it a long time ago.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. Most tie-ins fail until they succeed, and you only remember the successes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Kind of concerned that the first episode apparently ends with the gang on the run already so we probably don't have much time for a flashback prologue chapter of Lews Therin and Dragonmount, T B Q H

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Are you basing that off the 1 photo that was posted on the other page and assuming that's the first episode they're filming? Or did they actually confirm what the first episode is like.

I assume it's the former, in which case stuff is virtually never filmed chronologically.

They did a table read of the first eps and tweeted a video of the cast reading the end of ep1, and it's basically the superkids, Moraine, Lan, etc., heading off into the wild.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yea I don’t see it as all that bad, most of the main powerful characters are women even if Mr Dragon himself has to save every woman cause he’s a big strong man.

Some of that is his chauvinistic attitude, but even just depicting his main bodyguard corps as a bunch of female ninjas fighting to make him respect them as the weapons they dedicated to be is probably going to be progressive for the genre on TV.

Sad truths, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ChubbyChecker posted:

Are there any other parallels with Tyr than the lost hand?

One funny reference I remember is that he and Tam supply ale to Emond's Field.

And here's wikipedia on something else:

quote:

'You must know victory-runes
if you want to know victory. Carve them
into your sword's hilt, on the blade guards
and the blades, invoking Tyr's name twice.'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Statistically shouldn't at least one of those have a boob window dress?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I'm pretty sure Aviendha should be included in this lineup.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

She's the one in the cadin'sor.

Yes, but oh christ the joke is that she has the same face as the other 5 under that veil

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Looks like internet nerds have dug up 3 more unannounced casting decisions: 2 are Mat's parents, and 1 is a character named "Laila Aybara".

I haven't re-read the relevant sections but apparently Leila Lewin is a character that Perrin was once considering marrying, like Rand and Egwene but slightly further in the past at the time of book 1.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 26, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It would make sense to give Perrin's family more fleshing out, if only to make his return to the Two Rivers in Shadow Rising and the discovery that they're all dead have more dramatic weight.

Yeah as it is the books basically tell us about Perrin's family what feels like 1 whole pov before telling us they're dead.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

And yet that moment has me in tears every time.

Book 4 is easily my overall favorite and a lot of it is Perrin's part of the story. Chapters 53 and 56 are probably as fine pieces of writing as RJ has in the entirety of WoT.

Nearly all of it, always get me. Perrin deciding to face to the north. The Women's Circle bucking tradition in 53, then helping out in 56. The little tour Perrin does around the village perimeter.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 26, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Brolander posted:

If you didn't pay attention you might think he was an orphan for how much he quotes the Luhanns, as if they were surrogate parent figures.

Which makes a kind of sense for a live-in apprenticeship like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I see that my name has survived in the contributors section.

Huh I could've sworn there was a h5 thing, but hi fellow contributor!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Please tell me you're Timothy Bruening and it was all one huge troll.

Cinderblock belonged to Marilin Gemalphan. This now is canon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Well poo poo, I just found this thread thanks to someone linking it elsewhere and wow, they're actually filming a Wheel of Time thing? I don't think I'll believe it's actually happening until the first episodes are available for streaming.

Also even then is there any reason to think this isn't going to be mediocre crap? :smith: There's a billion TV shows produced these days since everyone wants their own streaming platform with original content, and only a small percentage of that is anywhere near quality.

While we don't know to what extent they will make a good, worthy adaptation of Wheel of Time, I think Amazon's current slate of Originals Shows show that they will put real effort in them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Billy Zane for Ishamael or just cancel the whole thing.

Really it's this.

Second option is Mark Strong, but I'd really like to see Mark Strong for a more long-running role. I'd say Demandred, but unless they incorporate and expand on elements from the River of Souls short he's not around for even as long as Ishamael.

Something super scenery-chewing, anyway. One of the Seanchan? A Great General?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 1, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Spek posted:

I'm not familiar with the actor your talking about but if you want someone who hangs around forever and could chew the hell out of the scenery look no further than Padan Fain.

Look on YouTube for all the scenes with Lord Blackwood in the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie for some Grade A Prime Scenery Chewing. Like yeah, use precisely that energy for Ishamael.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

and
Danny Devito
as "Herid Fel"

The nope.gif one would be a pretty good Herid Fel.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 1, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Just use Brad Dourif.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ChubbyChecker posted:

No big name actor will show in this.

Well, I'm sure nobody who's ever been in the running for an Oscar will deign to be in some lovely production like this one.

But I'm guessing you can get most of these guys named abovethread with the lure of a check and a catering table.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yes

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

This gives me strong Game of Throne vibes in that Rosamund Pike is basically their Sean Bean. The kids are all unknowns and there will probably be a few familiar faces scattered throughout the first season. Were there really any other big names in the first season of GoT? I feel like most of the main cast outside of the kids had one or two things they were well known for, mostly in British television and movies, but weren't exactly household names. Who was the biggest name outside of Bean? Lena Headey? Peter Dinklage? It's hard to remember how well known they were or weren't before Game of Thrones blew up. When people thought of 300, did Lena Headey really leap to mind?

I think the big difference between it and Game of Thrones is that HBO had a whole stable of actors from a dozen series at that point that they could call on so even small roles got someone who had chops. I think half the casts of Rome and The Wire ended up in GoT by the end. Amazon unfortunately doesn't have that resource to draw on at the moment. Give it a few years maybe?

You realize that HBO doesn't actually have a stable in Santa Fe where they put actors who aren't currently filming for them, right?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Interesting casting there. Tam doesn't have a huge role, so I guess that frees him up to do other stuff and avoids having a pretty prominent GoT cast member front and center throughout the show.

He's around for like, at least 3/4 of Perrin's arcs though.

Sure, after the kids leave Emond's Field, he's out of Season 1, then he's around for the bulk of TSR with Perrin, then he's around again when Perrin's Two Rivers delegation shows up to Cairhien in 6 and he sticks around all the way through the end.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Story wise, does he do anything especially important other than convincing Rand that he doesn't need to be ice-cold? They could easily just only keep him around for Season 1 and have another character do that :shrug:

Sure, I mean, same way Sulin and Nandera vanish because Brandon Sanderson forgot about them.

But I would hope that the series runners would do a better job of that.

And this seems to be a Rand-centric view of the side characters? Like they could get rid of Elyas and Hopper because they never meet Rand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tam shoulda been tagalong to Rand, how does he manage to be Perrins surrogate father instead? Kinda a weird choice but definitely not one that I would have thought of unless he’s around a lot more in later books I haven’t gotten to.

Rand losing all his surrogate parents and getting completely untethered is part of his character arc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Tam was fully badass in his own right, though not close to Thom. He ran away to go adventuring on his own, learned all the poo poo he needed on the way, fought in at least 4 wars, rose to the 2nd highest rank possible in the elite Illianer Companions, dueled and killed a blademaster, and was awarded an actual power-wrought heron-marked blade (and not a post-Breaking imitation) by the then King of Illian.

Then, like, think about the kind of slaughter the Aiel War had to have been to make this guy go back to the shithole provincial village he came from to take up a life of farming.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 6, 2019