Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

I really liked the bath scene between Lan and Moiraine, did a great job of establishing their bond - intimate without being romantic or sexual. At first I was a bit like "Lan wouldnt complain of cold water", but then recalled yeah of course he would. Lan was practically raised in Shienar, and they love their hot and co-ed baths.

The prequel book has Moraine tossing Lan into a pool of cold water as their first meeting. Lan gives her poo poo for it for a while. I think this is a callback to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

His coat/sweater are like the only things I haven't liked in that department :( They just look off to me

My wife and my friend's wife, who are not book readers, both reffered to Rand as "Sweater Boy" because they couldn't remember his name.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone in the two rivers wore wool. Which was a nice little touch.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Yeah. Honestly, the men channel this way, women channel that way stuff...the actual *mechanics* of it are fascinatingly awesome to me.

Yea, I hope they're able to keep that while extracting and yeeting the biotruth crap with great prejudice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i genuinely feel like a lot of us need to realize that the vast majority of the poo poo we bicker about literally does not register or matter to someone watching the show who has never read the books. we're the biased ones. in whatever way we are, it's true for all of us. stuff being moved or missing does not matter to them. what they know is what's presented to them. they have no further context.

with that in mind i think the show has put forward a pretty compelling experience so far and i think it has enough of a budget to get people hooked, and i can't wait to see what the show emphasizes for the couple of big haymakers it'll inevitably throw the way of the audience to get them to react

My friends I was watching this with were mad at me when I said "Eh, they may even ditch Elayne and her brothers. They don't really impact the overall plot that much. Only in how they relate to main characters." So yea, if you see me bickering at some point i'm doing it entirely for fun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Doing nothing and channeling worked for the Logain preview I thought.

Logain wasn't trained by Aes Sedai. There's a bit in the books about how someone can tell not only what weave they were preparing, but who taught them that weave based on the hand movements.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The very first dark friend you see on screen is as pale as gently caress and blond.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

adhuin posted:

Dead mentor as a trope isn’t much different from what we got. :shrug:

I mean, yea it's a tired trope. But fridging the wife has that sexist flavor to it that makes it worse.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Unless she shows up later somehow it was pretty pointless.

Eh, it had a point. I just think it was a point that could have been done better and with a different character. He didn't even really have to kill someone. What if he'd axed his Master bad enough to cause grave injury, but not bad enough to kill him. Perrin could still very easily be shown to be averse to violence and to thinking twice before acting once from that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

One thing I wonder whether it can be change is how circles work. Rand more or less uses Nynaeve as a giant battery/generator to cleanse saidin, she isn't really doing anything. Similar with using the Bowl of the Winds to right the weather. It would be cool if Nynaeve (and Moiraine when Rand links with her and Nynaeve in the Last Battle) could contribute more. Perhaps make it a more group event, with all the linked people weaving the flows and the one leading the circle coordinating/bundling the flows?

We haven't really gotten much info on the interplay of saidar and saidin yet. There's that bit in the begining with Liandrin telling that male chaneler "your touch corrupts it" so it's possible some things are changing in that regard. Also the fact that they seem to be not bringing much of the :biotruths: stuff from the books, suggests that there might be some changes in that regard.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, though, I don't think we should be taking a Red's perspective (much less LIANDRIN'S) on male channeling as the gospel truth. For that matter, even Moiraine's speech at the beginning of the first episode as she's getting dressed represents only her own point of view, not necessarily objective truth.

Well sure. I kinda hope they're doing a thing where the Aes Sedai are just wrong about it because they've spent thousands of years not having men around channeling. I could also see it being a thing where the reds have their own "truth" they teach.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm also missing the hints that you only catch later or on a reread, like Rand getting sick after the confrontation with Valda in Baerlon. The closest thing I've noticed in that vein is the close up on Tam's heronmark.

That's actually one of my few beefs with the show as it is. In the first episode we get the dramatic zoom in on the heron mark. And then...nothing. Lan isn't even trying to show rand how to not stab himself using the sword.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh! I didn't notice at the time. Did anyone see if the Questioners still have their red shepherds crook, or is the golden arm-plating it for them?

No crook. Not sure if the armor color denotes questioners or not, or if it's only a rank thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

A friend was criticizing the costumes as being over the top colorful and modern for the supposed time period. Which, ok I guess, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but what I do know is that the Whitecloaks look absolutely perfect.

I've heard that complaint, and it's dumb. First of all, this isn't from a time period of our history. So comparing it to 15th century england or whatever is stupid. Secondly, "period" clothing was a lot more colorful than most people think. Everyone didn't go around wearing nothing but brown all the time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't think she did because on my first watch I noticed it since I was watching with subtitles and on my second I was specifically looking for it and didn't see. That being said it's also possible I just missed it, but I'm pretty sure she only says Dark One.

I just re-watched it. The only time she uses a proper noun to refer to the Dark One, she says Dark One. And it's one time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think just no one knows what mining is. The windmill in the town is like, 5 feet across and is broken. Yet it's spinning.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

had they changed the aes sedai vows? iirc they had something about it being allowed to cast lightning bolts at shadowspawn

I think it just tightens it up. If you're close enough to lightning a trolloc, your life is in danger.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It almost feels like they were like "Hey, we can do this because we're so clearly not doing it for the normal reason" and thought it'd get a pass.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

so rand shows up in Caemlyn like "hey what's this place" like it ain't where Tam's taxes have presumably been ending up for years

It's called out specifically that the Two Rivers haven't seen a tax collector in like a 100 years.

The only taxes they've been paying is to the council.

like, they've *heard* of Caemlyn, and read about it in books. But that's as far as it goes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm probably going to have to see what comes up with the rest of this season in regards to the laila thing before i give too much of a poo poo, offhand. don't really see a reason to try to form a complete picture with less than half of the episodes out.

Yea, but coming up with theories and geeking out about them is part of the fun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

Yet somehow the Two Rivers, who haven't seen conflict on any significant scale in centuries and have no centralized source of authority or power, maintain not only the bows themselves but train to the point where they are taking on Trolloc armies with very little warning and providing forces of hundreds or even thousands of archers to the conflicts leading up to the Last Battle.

The books frequently said that two rivers Bowman would practice all the time, for hunting and for sport.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The black take great pains to continue the illusion of the three paths though. So it wouldn't be that common. Also it seemed to me from the books that the black ajah rarely left the tower.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

No Black sister is going to let herself be killed out of dedication to keeping up the illusion. And my impression, although it's been a while, was that there were prominent Black sisters in the Tower who gave orders to lower-level sisters in the field.

True, but if they are being attacked they don't need to keep up the illusion. I'm saying that they're not going to go around and start poo poo with the power.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

They just need to do the deepfake on their faces of them being younger and it would give them a weird uncanny valley effect. It would be expensive but I’m sure bezos could handle it.

I read somewhere the show runner saying they looked at doing something cgi in post to do something like that, but there were more important things to spend money on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Cleansing
The glass pillars
Birgitte.
The snakes and foxes
Matt saving Egwene and Nyneave in the stone of tear and being grumpy about it the whole way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I thought they were going to use that to introduce Ishamael after it's revealed Rand is the dragon, but apparently that was the bonus content for episode 1.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tolth posted:

How about 5 scenes you least want to see adapted?

Faile. Every scene with her in it. I'm glad they're willing to make major changes because she's terrible in the books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not only is her entire setup terrible and gross, but his interactions with her depend so much on his inner monologue smelling her emotions there's just no way it survives the adapting.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The impression I always got was that Alanna was having full on orgies in her tents, and was getting as many of her sisters and THEIR warders involved as she could.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alanna is the one who bonds Rand by surprise.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gnoman posted:

"General" of the Green Ajah? Not "Captain-General"? I suppose that's a natural change, but it loses something.

Yea, the word Captain.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A really cursed thing they could do, is whenever you're watching a scene in the ways, The whispers also started coming out of any Alexa devices that you may have. Which would be cursed on so many levels besides just hearing The whispers. But as soon as you started talking about it that's the thought that came up

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And the books have a woman channeling Saidin.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

So to me, the axe is possibly more a tool of creation than a hammer.

A bearded axe, like the type used in combat, is really crappy at doing wood work though. Which did make it kind of weird when that axe was just sitting next to the wood pile.

Intruder posted:

There are sort of extenuating circumstances behind that though

Sure, just pointing out that if the dark one can do it, i'm sure the pattern could to. Besides, that move was made entirely for the non-readers to include Egwene as the possible target.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Only the final link worked, and the blade of the axe is burried in wood. :D

But yea, those Gransfors have like, a soul patch of a beard compared to the thing Perrin is wielding in the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

iirc the axe was ordered by some merchant's guard, but he never showed up to get it after it was made

I was just saying that it was near the stack of wood, as if it was being used to split wood. But that axe being used to split rounds would be a poor substitute for an actual wood splitting axe.

His Divine Shadow posted:

And sure that's not the biggest beard either. I can't remember what perrins axe looked like right now.

Nice axe! Also, Perrin's axe has a stronger curve on the blade, and is an asymetrical beard, it only really goes down. And about as long as your hewing axe, maybe a bit longer. It's hard to go frame by frame on amazon's player to get a screen grab.

It's not like, a big deal, especially since he left it behind. I just thought it was funny seeing this obvious war axe by the log pile.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valentin posted:

I understand why they made this change, but it's sort of darkly funny that everyone involved apparently agrees that audiences would have been confused by Perrin having issues with violence. Clearly, there's absolutely no good reason you might find it traumatizing or troubling to take a life, and we absolutely can't leave it to the acting and directing to convey anything about what he's thinking. Just doesn't make sense without a dead wife.

In the fantasy setting, it would be kinda weird to have a character doing violence and being bothered by it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valentin posted:

I'd suggest it has substantially less to do with the fantasy setting (he grew up in a bucolic farming town anyways) and more to do with the foundational assumption in most modern media that doing violence to other people is clean, easy, and non-traumatizing. That's well past a fantasy assumption, it's also the assumption of 90% of video games and action films.

It's extra funny because the scene actually does demonstrate wordlessly that Perrin finds the violence he carries out alienating and disorienting (the ringing in his ears, etc.), it's just that they assume audiences will never accept that as a reason not to kill. Real "shinji's a coward for not wanting to get in the robot" type vibes, to change media and genre entirely.

E: to be clear, I don't consider it a failure of the writing or anything (though I think Sanderson's suggestion to use Luhhan was much stronger and didn't invent a woman to fridge), inasmuch as it's a practical decision they made in response to assumed audience expectations. It's just funny that the conversation starts from a premise of "obviously we all know everyone thinks killing people is fine and normal, so we have to write around that."

Yea, I was agreeing and saying it would be weird given how things usually play out. I will say that it's still more common in fantasy, at the very least because of the inclusion of so many literal monsters.

I will say though, *technically* they didn't invent her. She existed in the books, but is never seen "on screen". Just referenced by Perrin.

Although I also agree with Sanderson that killing anyone was too far as well as fridging a wife.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, it would be a cheap and easy way to act as a counter weight to Aes Sedai. making them step more carefully and such. And all it costs you is a few peasant women who are good with herbs. Win/win for most rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really like the current Mat, but he's often hard to understand sometimes for me and I hope the next actor enunciates a bit more. That's a me thing, for sure, I've always had a hard time understanding spoken word on TV. I won't be mad if the new guy does exactly the same thing as long as he keeps wise cracking properly.

Oh, and I really like the music in the show. It doesn't swell up over anyone, so we don't get someone trying to speak over the entire brass section.