Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well gently caress. I got into these books in undergrad like 12 years ago and now this thread has caused me to buy The Eye of the World on kindle.

Here's to the $130 I'm inevitably going to spend on that poo poo over the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
At least Gawyn gets to go down like a champ. The whole Seanchan at the White Tower battle could be super loving neat. I hope the show has a Game o Thrones size budget and does really well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sorry, didn't realize there was a spoiler policy for this book series that's been out for like 30 years and complete for 5+.

I am certain that the TV show thread will have an ironclad spoiler policy that I will have no problem with, tho.

e: and if folks decide there should be a spoiler policy for this thread I'll happily comply with that, too. It's a good series and I want people to enjoy it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thom has to be grizzled, spry (before the limp), and somehow not too old for moiraine to find a tasty snack.

I've never quite been able to picture it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I always thought these 10+ year old fan arts were pretty great, for the most part. They've been my headcannon character appearances ever since.

No sexy Thom, tho.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BT99I

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's not an anime because Amazon is trying for a massive decade long prestige fantasy series and Game of Thrones was not an anime.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
And, regarding Game of Thrones, the special effects were really quite something amazing. I am confident they can pull off all the kickass weaving and spell slinging in a visually satisfying way.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nobody watches anime. There's no "let's make an anime" as a fallback position :lol:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I cannot fathom how they could cut the Aiel. The Aiel are central to like 2 whole books and Rand's heritage / the prophecies and, perhaps more importantly, are really cool with strong visual themes and tons of battles and such where they throw down. I'm sure the production people whose job is to plot and direct fights and battles are extremely excited about the Aiel.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think the fireballs and stuff will be hard. I think the constant squinting with elemental magic weaving that only certain people can see will be hard.

Dr. Strange showed that you can do "magical weaves" and spell slinging in a very visually cool and compelling way. I'd guess WoT will borrow generously from it for a lot of the magical duel type stuff.

A fireball is, indeed, just a fireball.

e: no they have to keep the Sea Folk for the boobs.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 18, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's not out of line with Jordan's style. The first book is just Rand's POV until the party splits at Aridhol. I remember that first change being pretty jarring haha.

Also, if Moiraine is more of a primary POV character her eventual disappearance will have even more of an oomph. More Red Wedding than Ned's dead.

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 18, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Basileus777 posted:

He was married to spanking his editor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I mean, when you're a publishing editor your job is probably more about editing books so they sell well and make money rather than striving for the most perfect piece of literature.

When the author can write whatever he wants and its going #1 regardless then just let him do it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand gets poo poo wrong all the time and people die for his mistakes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think its your own shallow surface reading, friend.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Honestly I'm not trying to be that guy from the meme comic who jumps into a crowd and lobs a rhetorical grenade and scampers off cackling. This is an interesting conversation that I think is kinda important, if only for selfish purposes. Feel free to dismiss it, I wouldn't blame you.

I just know that in some conversations I've had, if I were to throw out statements like "Rand is legit insane" or "Rand has to be shown the error of his ways before he can do anything right" or "The world is saved as much in spite of Rand as because of him" I would be subjected to an angry testosterone-drenched tirade. And while my readthrough of the series was pretty tongue-in-cheek, I found it pretty intrusive how that Infallible Messianic Rand reading kept overpowering the "you know, maybe there's a cautionary tale here idk" reading. So again, it's not about my interpretation, it's about everybody else, i.e. who the show is potentially aimed at.

If everybody is smart enough to get the nuanced take, well great, I guess I won't worry. :haw:

I genuinely can't see how you and your friends read the exact opposite of the text. You should for real try a re-read with that in mind, you'll be pretty surprised.

e: It shouldn't be hard for the show to finesse it at all. Almost all of the "men are this and women are this" is internal monologue.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I really don’t mind any of the girls, they just have less fun stuff to do, which is a shame. Besides the obvious incessant ticks he decided to burden them with for no real reason.

Those are, however, just the kind of things that could be reworked in a TV show. It would need to be an intentional choice by the writers and producers, but I could easily see some of the worst parts of characters being fixed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if Jordan chose the 10 day week and the crazy-rear end system of feet, spans, hides, etc to spite people who go 'metric good but time is dumb'

I think its more imaginative, it's a little mysterious and whenever I see those terms as part of a description in the books I end up pausing for a moment to really think about the scale of whatever is being described.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Johnny Depp is Ishamael in Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Gilbert Gottfried as Loil. Full prosthetics.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
WoT is canceled for being insufficiently Marxist.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Its extra goofy because the prefix "al'" indicates royalty or nobility in the borderlands, but in the Two Rivers its just a part of your name.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand al'Thor ... Randall Flagg...

Are they brothers??

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It seems like in the post-GoT fantastical *and expensive* prestige TV series world you're not taken seriously unless you greenlight the second season before the first actually airs.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You know what, that's a fair criticism that could probably have been covered by a single paragraph in one of the earlier books.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can't believe they forgot Rodney Ogg.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Weird that fate didn't choose someone other than a freak genetic superman to play the most important role in recurring world history and his birth parents weren't some randos. Probably didn't hurt that he may have subconsciously (and later consciously) benefited from the knowledge of a hundreds of years old world class expert on the same.

I get the criticism of "Rand is just too strong and too good!", I do conceptually understand it. However, that seems to kind of be the point of the character. The chosen hero with all the power and all the skills to remake the world, but he's not omnipotent and he makes stupid mistakes and he's going insane at the same time, and also most everybody hates him for who he is and what he's supposed to do.

I dunno, I think there's some layers and nuance to the whole of it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Egwene rules and gets some awesome payoff throughout the series. I'm finding her very relateable in my re-read.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sign me the gently caress up is where I really dislike her. She's just the label she wants to be. I think the rand suddenly becomes omg wtf overpowered criticism applies to her. What's her character other than that?

I think it makes a little more sense if you think of Egwene as mirroring Rand. Rand is the singular man of the entire Age, the individual who reshapes the world and fulfills an incredible destiny. If you think of Rand representing the male half of the power, then it makes a certain amount of sense that there'd be a woman who fulfills the same type of role, doing wondrous things and generally being larger than life / 'overpowered'. Egwene has like hugely changed what it means to be Aes Sedai and, to an extent, the entire structure of how societies study and put into practice channeling Saidar.

Nerd alert, jesus :lol:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
IDK I think all that kinda owns :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wait, one of the angreal was a Garfield??

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Except the spells are silent and the sword moves are shouted.

Why even make this dumb tv series when perfection already exists?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Now that's a sexy Thom.

oops for the new page

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If Thom isn't somersaulting and backflipping like a motherfucker for the first half of the first season then #notmythom

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'd guess Loial is gonna be prosthetics-town all the way. I wonder how large that guy is, because Ogier are big boys.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I started a re-read back when this thread was posted, so mid-September. I'm already about done with book 7, but I've done some real skimming through certain storylines.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I always thought Lamans sword was a cool detail. Cracking off all of the gilt and jewels, and replacing with a simple, effective boar-hide grip was very in character.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I thought somebody had those south-east asian wavy bladed swords. Those are neat looking.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The biggest hole in "Taim is Demandred" for me is the fact that Taim was at one point captured by Aes Sedai. I just can't see any of the Forsaken being ballsy enough to allow that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well, that would make plenty of sense!