Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just anecdotally, but I just finished reading the series for the first time (I watched the show in between reading The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising) and did not like Nynaeve in the books until later on (probably when she agreed to cleanse the taint). Then she was one of my favorites. I like her a little more in the show right now than I did in the books at this point.

So how exactly does balefire work, anyway? When it mentions that they are burned out of the pattern so can't be resurrected, is that only in this "loop" of the wheel? Or are they just gone forever? As in, next time the end of the 2nd age won't have Samael, etc. in it to support the dark and it could turn out slightly differently because of it? If that is the case it seems like eventually there would be no one left, given how freely people are using it. Also, it would be interesting if the show really was supposed to the next loop of the wheel and we didn't see anyone who was burned out. Also it seems like prophecy may just be echoes of a past loop.

I was really satisfied with the ending and the last four books as a whole. I didn't like the (lack of a) resolution to the Seanchan though. Maybe it is better this way, but I didn't like that the place that makes pets out of people was just allowed to continue existing for at least another century (though likely the most realistic plot out of them all). Honestly the same situation for the religious zealots (White Cloaks).

Perrin was my favorite character from the start but then he became blah for awhile before doing cool stuff in Sanderson's books again. I don't hate Faile or anything, but his character tended to take nosedives around her.

I didn't get the love for Mat until around book 4 or 5, when he quickly grew on me. The way he kept Mr. Bean-ing himself into being a hero was great.

Egwayne was great pretty much start to finish, I thought, as was Rand. There were a couple Rand droughts in the series. It was pretty cool the first time (The Dragon Reborn) because it was unique to see him and his actions only from outside perspectives, but I didn't care for it after that since his plots were often the coolest.

The show seemed to use the Ishamael/Moridin personality from the very end instead of having him grow/change. Was Rand using balefire to kill him? Ishamael seemed like he was getting his desire of true death (though it may just be in comparison to the non-death for the last three thousand years).

I gotta say, the endings of the books almost always were phenomenal. Great writing/setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So did humanity just lose the knowledge of how things like electricity, etc. work since it wasn't required in the Age of Legends, or did the Breaking somehow make it all not work anymore, or what?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh cool, thanks. I guess I already need to reread to get more clarification on stuff.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Guest director Sam Raimi for Dumai's Wells.