Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nihilarian posted:

Sanderson is better than Goodkind

Yeah I cannot fathom someone saying Sanderson is the worst big name fantasy author out there.

I mean I also don't mind his books, but even so. Sword of Truth is *so goddamn bad*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay I started my umpteenth reread, and this has bugged me for years.

I know next to nothing about women's clothes. What is a dress slashed with some color?

What does that mean? Can someone point me to an image of such a dress?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, this refers to a dress where the skirt is slit at regular intervals, and fabric of another color is sewn between the cuts, giving a two-tone look.

I think that's what I was picturing, but then couldn't find examples, because I'm bad at google AND bad at clothing...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You mean Gnoman. Thanks! I'm not at all surprised it's a real thing, just...couldn't find it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait, there's a show of that now too?

Yep, HBO exclusive. Even if it's flat, it sounds way better than the movie which was so, so bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There is a rumour of some kind of adaptation of the fifth season and I don't know if I'm excited or apprehensive, that series is heavy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

The one thing I dislike the most in these books is how much of a prude everyone is. I don’t need sex and rape every other chapter like GRRM. But non stop ewww cleavage is tiring.

But boobs are awesome???

So are butts?

I don't understand your point.

Characters go "what a behind" pretty often...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Though that might mostly be tylin and birgitte

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah you didn't, he was complaining about the puritanical reactions, not about boobs' existence.

But a bunch of people are like whatever mixed baths, that butt is great, those legs, etc

I dunno.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just did actually and yeah paying close attention to all of it, it's super good and ought to be the intro to the show too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah a lot of the more grimdark fantasy of the recent era was influenced in tone if not in substance by that prologue. It's up there as far as essential readings in SFF, I've seen it used in more than a few writing workshops.

I find myself wondering who they are going to cast as Bashere, especially if S2 has already been greenlit. I think Navid Negahban would be great - he can be jovial, he can be serious, dude can grow a killer stache, and isn't Saldaea one of the places in the books with the vaguely Middle Eastern aesthetic/culture?

They're more steppe raiders, always on horses and all that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I wanted a M-Rod-N name, personally.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And Rodor

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Basileus777 posted:

The oath rod was a binding rod used on criminals. There were tons of them.

See: the numerals. The oath rod was 3, but that other one Sammael found was...111? Something like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

COT really isnt a bad book, it just had the misfortune of being after the biggest event of the series and relatively slow paced. I'm enjoying it this time around, and even the Faile plot isn't really grinding much now I can just blitz it.

It's bad, despite having a few decent chapters, and "I can skim it" is definitely not an excuse, especially given audiobooks now...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At some point someone will need to go through and make an abridged version of WoT that cuts books 7,8,9, and 10 down to one volume.

That's what this thread is for, right!?

(shows getting cancelled after three seasons isn't it :smith:)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

As a whole, the series failed. It is bloated and meandering, has too many side characters and side plots, has weird ticks about tugging etc., and spends pages upon pages on boring poo poo no one cares about. But there are some good bits inside. If it was cut to a trilogy it would be good genre literature that would be known for its quality instead of only its length.

To provide a different subjective opinion, no it didn't.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

To provide a different subjective opinion, no it didn't.

Just gonna narcissistically quote myself here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Faile is cool. Her and Perrin's whole relationship is a summary of the whole series. If the man and the woman just sat and talked honestly for 10 minutes all their issues could have been resolved.

Now if we're talking about characters whose deletion could improve the series I nominate Gawain, he fucks up everything he ever does and then dies like an idiot screwing over Egwene in the process.

Yeah his first scene or two were fine, but everything after that was p bad. Basically refused to trust anyone ever that they could possibly know better than him about anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"The horn has already been found???"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean being trained by literally the best in the world is something.

Also he's a dead swordsman reborn.

Eh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

He duels his dad for fun at one point, right?

To learn how to let go.

Also to be taught that he's poo poo with only one hand.

He fought like five dudes in caemlyn for fun and was clearly doing that repeatedly...

Oh his weird fight with fain but that doesn't really count.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also I'm getting weirdly irritated by people misspelling Gawyn's name unless you're doing it on purpose to annoy me, in which case carry on :honk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

I'm fond of a friend's reason for disliking her: "Egwene" is a terribly awkward name.

What kind of a name starts with Eg? Does it have a short form? Did close friends ever say "Hey Eg, how're you today?" "What's happenin' with you, Eggy?"

Egbert Smith is nicknamed Eggie, as it happens! In the Shelly Laurenston pride books.

(yes, I read silly romance novels shut up this is the wheel of time thread no judgement right)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Somehow I missed it, what exactly were the contents of Elayne's letter to Aviendha that made Aviendha hate Rand so much, in her special fourth-grade way?

Iirc it was the two letters to Rand, one of which was super full of love, then she was like poo poo I don't want to seem eager, sent a "but you suck" letter to him, and at one point described the first one to Aviendha, did not mention the second, and she took that to mean Rand wasn't being good to her because he didn't return the same feelings.

Or something like that. It was really dumb.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I loved that letter, and not just because of the words. I was so goddamned tired of Elayne's everything that it was nice just to see someone try to pop her little bubble.

Yeah that letter was funny.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah he sends Lan in right before the battle of Carhien to chat him up to figure out the extent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

This besmirching of a man's good character will not stand.

:thunk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Brolander posted:

Uh yeah, he likes to "snuggle", disgusting

I believe he also likes a bit of slap and tickle or something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tithin posted:

I love Wheel of Time, and there's one scene in particular that just - it's such a payoff.

When Nynaeve heals stilling and both Siuan and Nynaeve realise just what she did, and then the ramifications when the Forsaken hear of it and just, dismiss it entirely. It's such a good development and so well done

For a character that I started off disliking as much as I did, Nynaeve ends up being my absolute favourite character by the end of the series alongside Min.

I mean that scene is one of the ones in the series that still make me tear up so.

fuckin Verin at the end does it every time though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ter'angreal library but yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign is just one of those endings you remember.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

What even is my life when I recognized this URL before I clicked

With the preview or just the url??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Doesn't Aviendha think that Rand has unusually good eyebrows, or something? I seem to recall reading that at some point.

Yes. Sulin teased her about it iirc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"If I could make everyone obey, I would"

Uh Rand you are veering into dictatorship

Yup, it's pretty blatant!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

At least he's not talking about sand

sandin

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pleads posted:

These audiobooks are so very good. Not a whole lot seems to happen in Crown of Swords (so far) but Michael Kramer and Kate Reading give a lot of scenes some life they didn't have when I last read through the series. It's a low-event book with a lot of fun scenes.

Kramer especially makes things really good, maybe because he always gets the Mat POVs. Every time he busts into his "random old man bumpkin answering a question of m'lord" voice I laugh, it's such a good voice.

They're both amazing, yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you have a long commute, it's amazing. Mine got shorter so I had to get shorter audiobooks instead of listening to it...again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah it's to taste; I get screamy at other drivers with just music, so I switched to books and podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thom doesn't really need to be ancient, just weathered.

I have to say, the casting tweets are pretty amazing.