Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Thank you for this, I just finished the first book and it's reasonably entertaining.

Also:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm down.

taishar malkier

Best casting choice!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Donkey posted:

I have no idea if this is valid, but my hunch is that this is a feature of Sanderson's early writing. It seems like he creates the premise and the conclusion (Sanderson Avalanche) of the story for all of his characters and then builds a bridge of intermediate challenges between them, filling in character details and foreshadowing along the way. The result is usually a tightly plotted story with characters that have complex backstories, but it can sometimes come across as contrived or require contrivances to make work. You can really see the Trolloc limb poles.

<snip>

By contrast, a book like Crossroads of Twilight seems to flow more naturally but has about two events in it that actually advance the plot.

Sanderson is an outliner (on the extreme end of the outline-discovery writing spectrum) who discovery writes his characters. His strengths are plotting and world building. The vast majority of characters in very early works, like Elantris and Warbreaker, are less complex because it was early on.

I am somewhat surprised that you're objecting to tight plotting though, particular when one of the most common WOT complaints is about the bloat and meandering in the books (see last few pages). :confused: