Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Midjack posted:

Peter Payne, owner of the former SA front page sponsor and notorious import site J-List had a somewhat annoying defense of Vic on his blog today while discussing the demise of the Funimation brand:

The guy on YouTube does not in fact make convincing arguments.

Also the now ancient off color jokes everybody knew about and no longer cared about until the I Stans desperately needed some kind of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
lol j-list

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the Yaoi Paddle Tycoon

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Payne is apparently active on the Japan Times comment section so that gives me a really good idea of who he is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Escape From Noise posted:

Payne is apparently active on the Japan Times comment section so that gives me a really good idea of who he is.

You could've just said "comment section" here.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You could've just said "comment section" here.

True. It's just that Japan Times comment guys are a specific breed.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
"I don't know the details but this guy is totally correct" is always a good sign that someone knows what they're talking about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funi didnt really die because of some kind of 'decline' just sony merged two separate brands together

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah they just decided that the Crunchyroll branding was more important, which is still a weird decision to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah they just decided that the Crunchyroll branding was more important, which is still a weird decision to me

crunchyroll is definitely more recognizable to people these days than funimation

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably because Crunchyroll is a much much bigger brand worldwide - Funimation was only operational in like, 10 countries worldwide.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you think funi is more recognizable, you're an old

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

crunchyroll is definitely more recognizable to people these days than funimation

Yep. It was also the bigger platform of the two, so it just makes logistical sense to move the funimation stuff over there instead of the other way around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

funi didnt really die because of some kind of 'decline' just sony merged two separate brands together

Three, kinda. Australia had its own streaning service (AnimeLab) and distributor (Madman Entertainment, who owned AnimeLab), and those got rolled into Funimation and Crunchyroll sequentially.

I still have my Animelab hoodie :allears:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Madman still exist on their own, but now just mostly do international movies. And Bluey DVDs.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Endorph posted:

if you think funi is more recognizable, you're an old

you didn't have to say it like that :sigh:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I thought crunchy roll was just a really old tootsie roll

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Have they actually finished moving over the entire Funimation catalog?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nope!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And, uh-oh, some folks can't get at digital stuff they paid for on Funimation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SnakesRevenge posted:

I thought crunchy roll was just a really old tootsie roll

THE TOOTSIE ROLL NUH UH THAT'S OLD
LET ME SEE THAT CRUNCHY ROLL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Schubalts posted:

Have they actually finished moving over the entire Funimation catalog?

Not even close, and with the funi app shutting down at the end of the month, some of those titles just won’t be legally available anywhere.