Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I get he's a huge pos but as someone who doesn't follow American voice actors nearly sum this up for me? He tried suing people and got.brutally owned as a result?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
he was credibly accused multiple times of being a sex criminal, he countersued for defamation and lost every time

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

I get he's a huge pos but as someone who doesn't follow American voice actors nearly sum this up for me? He tried suing people and got.brutally owned as a result?

Correct. He was trying to sue people falsely for defamation and got destroyed on all accounts. He then dragged it out in court with appeals and the like and got destroyed even worse and owes even more now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jose posted:

Basically, it was an open secret for many years that he was a creep. Then an anime news site penned an article a few years ago about the accusations, his biggest employers launched their own investigations and promptly shitcanned him, and a couple of his former colleagues came out with their own stories about his misbehavior. He tried to sue them with a lawyer who very plainly had no loving idea what he was doing, he lost, and has only been compounding his losses with his failed attempts to appeal the case.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Basically, it was an open secret for many years that he was a creep. Then an anime news site penned an article a few years ago about the accusations, his biggest employers launched their own investigations and promptly shitcanned him, and a couple of his former colleagues came out with their own stories about his misbehavior. He tried to sue them with a lawyer who very plainly had no loving idea what he was doing, he lost, and has only been compounding his losses with his failed attempts to appeal the case.

It was only the one major appeal iirc and that sent it from 100k to ~350k and with the agreed interest rate what it is, it's speculated that he's paying pretty soon so it's likely he just wants to finish this. as for why now, it's probably just fatigue over it and that he doesn't have his lovely council telling him bad advice.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's important to emphasize that his lawyers were hilariously incompetent and obviously more concerned with trying to become stars on the culture war circuit than effectively trying the case. If I recall correctly at one point they tried to argue it was defamatory to call Vic a "piece of poo poo" because Vic is not literally excrement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

And to add to this it was mostly spurred on by another lawyer from a different state who spends most of his time doing culture war BS on his YouTube channel.

(Nick hasn't said anything on his Twitter but is instead going through the recent lawsuit against WWE owner Vince McMahon.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also his blacklisting from the industry is almost entirely because he felt it was a good idea to sue Funimation in addition to the other people for defamation. An incredibly stupid move that made it impossible for him to weather a temporary storm of sex pestery and come back like most creeps do.

I mean, who looks at their legal team of an Estate Lawyer and an online troll and thinks that it's time to take on Sony's corporate team?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

Also his blacklisting from the industry is almost entirely because he felt it was a good idea to sue Funimation in addition to the other people for defamation. An incredibly stupid move that made it impossible for him to weather a temporary storm of sex pestery and come back like most creeps do.

I mean, who looks at their legal team of an Estate Lawyer and an online troll and thinks that it's time to take on Sony's corporate team?

It was perhaps wise in hindsight he decided not to go after Rooster Teeth - who fired him first - which could have potentially meant dealing with Warner Brothers' attack dogs.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
vic mignogna is lazy and disinterested in anything besides getting accolades from his fan club/discord and grooming women less than half his age so of course he was disinterested in vetting his legal team and their case

for the same reason that when he was on the out noone in the industry wanted to help him out. he's just a poo poo to work with and a diva

johnny depp at least threw some good parties and so he had a full complement of hollywood sickos to back up his case against the much younger woman he abused

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's important to emphasize that his lawyers were hilariously incompetent and obviously more concerned with trying to become stars on the culture war circuit than effectively trying the case.

To clarify this point a bit more, it was about money rather than attention from the culture war goofs; the lawyer who spearheaded the lawsuit started a Gofundme campaign specifically for that purpose, to the point that Vic has no access to these funds. They milked his fanbase out of at least 250k during the whole thing, and Vic could probably recoup some of his losses by suing them for malpractice, but probably won't.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

vic mignogna is lazy and disinterested in anything besides getting accolades from his fan club/discord and grooming women less than half his age so of course he was disinterested in vetting his legal team and their case

There was also some speculation that the two of them were also the only ones who even would take his case and told him what he wanted to hear, whereas any halfway competent attorney in the field would have probably warned him that he would have a hell of a long shot at winning

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Xelkelvos posted:

It was only the one major appeal iirc and that sent it from 100k to ~350k and with the agreed interest rate what it is, it's speculated that he's paying pretty soon so it's likely he just wants to finish this. as for why now, it's probably just fatigue over it and that he doesn't have his lovely council telling him bad advice.

He also tried appealing to SCotx, but they didn't want to take it. Still added contingent fees.

Also as a sidenote, the 100k to 376k is just the fees for Rial/Toye. Marchi and Funimation each get 120kish, iirc.

So the current state is roughly 376k at 18% interest and 240k or so at 5% interest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao get rekt vic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

There was also some speculation that the two of them were also the only ones who even would take his case and told him what he wanted to hear, whereas any halfway competent attorney in the field would have probably warned him that he would have a hell of a long shot at winning

Yeah, I believe Vic did go to lawyers whose specialty were defamation - for non US folks, we sort of have surprisingly good laws to prevent spurious defamation suits unlike other countries, though this can vary from state to state - and was roundly told "ha ha no, you can't win." The YouTube guy put Vic in touch with the YouTube guy's estate lawyer who took the case and it went as well as you can see.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Turns out it's surprisingly hard to win a defamation lawsuit over someone saying you did a thing you agree you did. Even if you hire a legal genius so brilliant all of law twitter comes together to laugh at his work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It was perhaps wise in hindsight he decided not to go after Rooster Teeth - who fired him first - which could have potentially meant dealing with Warner Brothers' attack dogs.

lol yeah holy poo poo, Warner Bros., especially Zaslav-era Warner would have ripped everyone who ever thought kindly of Vic even once's nuts off in retaliation if Vic tried to step to the WB.

Gyges posted:

Yeah, like I can count on one hand at least the number of Vic-level alleged sexcreeps who still have careers in voice work who all got outed around the same time Vic did; DC Douglas, Michael Sinterniklaas, Todd Haberkorn, Chris Niosi, Quentin Flynn; that's at least a whole hand right there. One thing they have in common: they didn't sue the companies that were hiring them after people started saying they were alleged sexcreeps.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Didn’t Niosi and Flynn’s careers largely dry up after their stories broke, at least? Like, just glancing at IDBM, Flynn’s only had two roles in three years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Niosi seems to mostly do youtube stuff now like a charity stream of mario rpg with..uh..zeno robinson, saab and kira buckland

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Didn’t Niosi and Flynn’s careers largely dry up after their stories broke, at least? Like, just glancing at IDBM, Flynn’s only had two roles in three years.

The only career consequences Niosi faced (same with DC Douglas getting replaced as Wesker in Resident Evil) was for breaking an NDA and not sex poo poo. Though Flynn's VA career was also kinda winding down a bit too, but if he's lost roles also due to sex poo poo, then... eh, gently caress 'im.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Niosi seems to mostly do youtube stuff now like a charity stream of mario rpg with..uh..zeno robinson, saab and kira buckland

lol, Zeno, Kira, no, what are you doing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Afaik Flynn’s basically retired from acting anyway since he moved out of California. At least, that’s what I remember.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Niosi is also a scab, why are Zeno and Kira giving him the time of day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kira is likely just an old friend from the Newgrounds days

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The only career consequences Niosi faced (same with DC Douglas getting replaced as Wesker in Resident Evil) was for breaking an NDA and not sex poo poo. Though Flynn's VA career was also kinda winding down a bit too, but if he's lost roles also due to sex poo poo, then... eh, gently caress 'im.

Although I do take unseemly pleasure in the fact it was Niosi's dream to be in a Fire Emblem game (I think) and that's gone forever. Lol get rekt.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was Smash Bros., but one would have led to the other

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can someone explain why it’s perfectly legally acceptable to call Vic a pedophile? I’ve gathered he entered information proving that into the public record, but I’m curious about the details.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Can someone explain why it’s perfectly legally acceptable to call Vic a pedophile? I’ve gathered he entered information proving that into the public record, but I’m curious about the details.

Vic tried to sue one of the people who accused him of being a child molester with a Strategic lawsuit against public participation or SLAPP lawsuit, a particularly malicious type of lawsuit usually designed to try and silence people by burying them under legal fees until they give up and go away. Only because Vic is an idiot and hired some real lovely cardboard cutout cartoon lawyers, they whiffed the case so hard and pissed off the judge so much with their antics that the judge ordered Vic to pay all his accuser(s)'s legal fees and said just for good measure that yes, you in fact can call him a child molester, pedophile, sexual predator, sexpest, sexcreep and any other combination of terms you want without having to put "alleged" in front of it and not have to worry about legal repercussions for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Vic tried to sue one of the people who accused him of being a child molester with a Strategic lawsuit against public participation or SLAPP lawsuit, a particularly malicious type of lawsuit usually designed to try and silence people by burying them under legal fees until they give up and go away. Only because Vic is an idiot and hired some real lovely cardboard cutout cartoon lawyers, they whiffed the case so hard and pissed off the judge so much with their antics that the judge ordered Vic to pay all his accuser(s)'s legal fees and said just for good measure that yes, you in fact can call him a child molester, pedophile, sexual predator, sexpest, sexcreep and any other combination of terms you want without having to put "alleged" in front of it and not have to worry about legal repercussions for it.

It's also not that Vic just hired the worst lawyer he could find, it's that he was rejected from every other legal office he could find because what he was asking for was pretty much criminal even compared to typical SLAPP lawsuits.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

eh not exactly. this is something people repeat verbatim but it comes back to 'sexual predator' being a term of opinion as the court of appeals said (it's a very broad ill-defined category and noted as used in exaggeration by the court), but i don't recall any explicit clarification on 'paedophile' itself re: vic in the court docs. like we can all agree he is nevermind those hosed up videos of him that've came up. Greg and other barred lawyers in texas are more than happy to remind everyone how much of a creep he is with that term too, but it does muddy the waters a bit on what is and isn't a defamatory statement - and i'm sure they dance on that line perfectly but that doesn't mean anyone commenting on the case can

still not over the hellfiling and the absolute goldmine of purestrain incompetence every step of this case

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

eh not exactly. this is something people repeat verbatim but it comes back to 'sexual predator' being a term of opinion as the court of appeals said (it's a very broad ill-defined category and noted as used in exaggeration by the court), but i don't recall any explicit clarification on 'paedophile' itself re: vic in the court docs. like we can all agree he is nevermind those hosed up videos of him that've came up. Greg and other barred lawyers in texas are more than happy to remind everyone how much of a creep he is with that term too, but it does muddy the waters a bit on what is and isn't a defamatory statement - and i'm sure they dance on that line perfectly but that doesn't mean anyone commenting on the case can

still not over the hellfiling and the absolute goldmine of purestrain incompetence every step of this case

He has nonconsensually kissed (not on the mouth) underaged girls at cons as well as hugged and grabbed them without consent. He's given his number to underaged fans too. No sexual acts or things approaching that nature have ever been confirmed, but he's gotten close and is almost indistinguishable based on some of his actions.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah you're conflating awful poo poo he's done outside of the court room to what's in the court record. like i said we agreed and the reason i never clarified this part .. forever is because it doesn't really matter unless someone's asking about why it's okay to say it about vic and wants an honest answer

e: i just triple checked the full docket and don't see any actual opinion from the court of appeals over anything but the sexual predator line

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 5, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
There's also a legal concept called being "libel-proof" where a court says your reputation is already so bad that nothing anyone says about you can hurt it further, so you basically can't sue for defamation any more. It was one of the defenses raised against Vic's lawsuit, although I don't remember if the court actually accepted that one or not (as opposed to the lawsuit being thrown out because he admitted under oath that the specific things the defendants accused him of were true).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah you're conflating awful poo poo he's done outside of the court room to what's in the court record. like i said we agreed and the reason i never clarified this part .. forever is because it doesn't really matter unless someone's asking about why it's okay to say it about vic and wants an honest answer

e: i just triple checked the full docket and don't see any actual opinion from the court of appeals over anything but the sexual predator line

So then where did the whole "legally proven sexual predator" meme come from anyway? Because I've seen it bandied about here and elsewhere quite a bit, especially by folks supposedly in the legal know.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

So then where did the whole "legally proven sexual predator" meme come from anyway? Because I've seen it bandied about here and elsewhere quite a bit, especially by folks supposedly in the legal know.
? as i've said 'sexual predator' comes from the court of appeals where they clarify it's a statement of opinion. i just don't know what caused people to then expand that to include paedophile when that wasn't addressed by a court and at a glance doesn't seem as vague and exaggeratory at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Legally though, we can say he's a "piece of poo poo."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s not “legally he is a sexual predator” it’s “legally he can be called a sexual predator by the average person without requiring additional qualification”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Found the bit from the appeal

https://twitter.com/JoseMakesStuff/status/1587603225451995136

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, "sexual predator" is probably a vague enough term that it's not like you're accusing them of a crime

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
when people in this thread say “legal” they mean “libel-proof.” it isn’t a crime to call someone a pedophile, but vic’s reputation is so bad regarding his being a loving creep that he would have a nearly impossible task in proving to a civil court that his reputation has been harmed any further by maybe true/maybe not accusations that he’s sexually attracted to minors on top of everything that has been proven in court.

it’s like accusing a convicted serial killer of a new murder, or accusing SBF of doing a different scam. there is no harm because their reputation is already ruined on that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Peter Payne, owner of the former SA front page sponsor and notorious import site J-List had a somewhat annoying defense of Vic on his blog today while discussing the demise of the Funimation brand:

https://blog.jlist.com/your-friend-in-japan/rip-funimation-whats-your-reaction-to-the-news/ posted:

There was a massive amount of drama between their voice actors, the most famous being the firing of popular voice actor Vic Mignogna. I don’t know the details, but this guy on YouTube made some very convincing arguments that the accusations might lack serious merit. Then came the Funimation audio leaks in which certain voice actors were recording making off-color jokes in character, which caused more harm to the company.

The guy on YouTube does not in fact make convincing arguments.