Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As a lawyer, it was hilarious reading the thread about the case while waiting for my turn in chambers. Ty hosed it up ten ways until Sunday, as I thought he would.

I'm 100% convinced that vic's lawyers are stupid enough to appeal when he loses.

Also gotta start damage control

https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/1170045166536790016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1170028093395939328?s=20

"Even the dumbest law firm in Texas could win this"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Vic stans gonna be holding all their hope on those blank spaces hard the next 30 days, huh

If the ruling even takes that long.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there may be more details in this thread over time:
https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1170054130724945920

e: well if that's a more precise account then ottovonbisbark was downplaying the judge's ire somehow

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 6, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's also conflicting stories on who authorised setting it up, whether nick started it all and then convinced vic to approach ty, if the money was ever disclosed to vic, etc

it's another legal minefield that will likely be stepped on in the future

Wait, isn't it illegal for another private citizen in America to bankroll a civil case when you're plantif? Did they change that?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Covok posted:

Wait, isn't it illegal for another private citizen in America to bankroll a civil case when you're plantif? Did they change that?

I don't think it's illegal. Peter Thiel bankrolled Hulk Hogan's lawsuit against Gawker.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Covok posted:

consider that they're both ostensibly lawyers

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's also conflicting stories on who authorised setting it up, whether nick started it all and then convinced vic to approach ty, if the money was ever disclosed to vic, etc

Supposedly Ty is a family friend of Nick, and yes Nick set it up and pushed Ty on Vic.

Vic had already gone to two law firms who's taken one look at it and said 'hell no'

During deposition Vic didn't know how much they were suing for, and claimed to know virtually nothing about the GFM.

Chances of Nick and Ty egregiously abusing the GFM are high (Nick's absolutely going t have been billing it for stuff, like his flight to the trial).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Beato Believer posted:

I don't think it's illegal. Peter Thiel bankrolled Hulk Hogan's lawsuit against Gawker.

Huh, good point. Coulda sworn it was illegal in America, though. Maybe they changed the rule at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Huh, good point. Coulda sworn it was illegal in America, though. Maybe they changed the rule at some point.

I think people have been doing it for a long time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1170058919739183104?s=20

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the threading is broken, please teach anyone attending future hearings how to thread

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1170064897431883776

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You can't notarise by phone because you need to confirm the guy's identity when you notarise something. He's either lying or stupid.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Monaghan posted:

You can't notarise by phone because you need to confirm the guy's identity when you notarise something. He's either lying or stupid.
or?

and another set of notes:
https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1170054597228027904

e: i saw someone mention this during the hearing but i thought they were joking
https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1170060766642393089

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1170072728185032709?s=20

What do you mean we need evidence in a court case???

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

Y aquí es dónde uno diría: ¿Por qué no los dos? Mentir y ser un pendejo sin fronteras no son mutuamente excluyentes. ;)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/status/1170079057985196032?s=20

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Expensive day for Vic.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1170034327125733376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

As a lawyer, it was hilarious reading the thread about the case while waiting for my turn in chambers. Ty hosed it up ten ways until Sunday, as I thought he would.

I'm 100% convinced that vic's lawyers are stupid enough to appeal when he loses.

Also gotta start damage control

https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/1170045166536790016

Just wait 'til it goes to appeal is something we're gonna hear a lot, huh? What is there to appeal that you would legitimately want to waste an even bigger judge's time with?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Just wait 'til it goes to appeal is something we're gonna hear a lot, huh? What is there to appeal that you would legitimately want to waste an even bigger judge's time with?

"We need more money to win! Send more $$$!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

E the Shaggy posted:

"We need more money to win! Send more $$$!"

Gotta wonder if they'll crowdfund to play off the new legal/court fees (if he gets stuck with them)

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Gotta wonder if they'll crowdfund to play off the new legal/court fees (if he gets stuck with them)

Oh he's already stuck with them. Vic has to pay all attorney fees for the stuff that got dismissed today. On top of whatever his own lawyer charges him (bills the GFM).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On very rare days even the light breaks through the fog of the Farms.

https://twitter.com/DonPolanco/status/1170108708216627200

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Covok posted:

The legal concept you're thinking of is called maintenance, and it seems that some places in the US have tried to make it illegal but that's run up against some pretty significant First Amendment issues. So the answer is "kinda, sorta, maybe, sometimes".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What gets me is that Law Twitter only started caring about this case because Ty Beard was so lovely at his job that they were aghast, then stuck around Vic's weird stans started going after them.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Oh hey, it got a writeup in The Dallas Morning News.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, the writer, Sharon Grigsby, is kind of a big deal. She did a previous write up on this case like a month ago, with the prosecutors not responding to her for comment, and then a bunch of Vic stans started harassing her and insinuating a bunch of conspiracy gibberish. She also personally went to the court hearing today, so she got a first hand view of the shitshow.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Good God.

Dallas News posted:

At one point in Beard’s arguments against Marchi, Chupp said, “I don’t think you have any evidence and that’s your problem.”

Beard later reacted with surprise when Chupp indicated he had dropped all the claims against March: “Wait, defamation was dismissed as well?”

“Yes, I said that a long time ago,” Chupp had to point out.

In another exchange, a slightly exasperated Chupp said, “Am I not being clear?” Beard responded, “No, your honor, it’s that I’m not listening“ -- to which the judge said, “It would help if you would.”

I need these transcripts!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Julias posted:

Yeah, the writer, Sharon Grigsby, is kind of a big deal. She did a previous write up on this case like a month ago, with the prosecutors not responding to her for comment, and then a bunch of Vic stans started harassing her and insinuating a bunch of conspiracy gibberish. She also personally went to the court hearing today, so she got a first hand view of the shitshow.

why is everything a conspiracy to these people

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HIJK posted:

Its either that there is a conspiracy by women to falsely accuse men or else admit to having a toxic worldview

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

HIJK posted:

Some people look at a pattern of occurrences and see that there's probably some give and take between different factors in the universe that make that pattern likely to re-occur

Some people look at it and think a feminist is responsible

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^ e: Beaten like a pointless bonus stage! :negative: ^^^^^^

Forget the toxic worldview: I think most of these "stans" (and from the looks of it, according to what Mallratcal shared, same goes for the loving lawyer, even) barely have enough cognitive and adaptive skills to live day by day.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 7, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kick my Vic you fuckman!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

HIJK posted:

It's all about validating the idea that mysterious powers and inexplicable forces are why they themselves are abject failures. It's a way to manufacture a scenario in which they have as little agency as minorities or women and that lack of agency is why they suck. It's about pretending to be oppressed because all they perceive is oppressed people actually making progress in the world while they don't.

Its an insanely egotistical and roundabout way to pull oneself down in the world as an excuse to be a lovely person.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namtab posted:

hosed up that the court found that a massive sex creep is a massive sex creep

To be fair, that's not what this particular case is about. It's about whether these people conspired to get him fired from Funimation and banished from conventions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

To be fair, that's not what this particular case is about. It's about whether these people conspired to get him fired from Funimation and banished from conventions.

i dont want
to be fair

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

i dont want
to be fair

And this is why you will never be ADTRW mod.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Generally believe all Vic Stans believe he did nothing wrong which is very much scary on multiple levels

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Generally believe all Vic Stans believe he did nothing wrong which is very much scary on multiple levels

There actually are people with various degrees of opinion with regards to vic, the case as a whole, and the larger cultural movement, some of which are rather nuanced.

But 99% of what you see by volume are either chuds using this as a proxy war for gamergate/comicsgate/anti-sjw/anti-metoo bullcrap or gullible suckers who got lured into watching all the youtube grifters videos on the subject and have no idea that they've gotten suckered into a conspiracy themselves. Also the disengenuous arguments followed by gaslighting is extremely tiring to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

And this is why you will never be ADTRW mod.
Namtab will now proceed to engage in a smear campaign from the likes we'll never see again! We called him mad! But we'll see!

:byodood: WE WILL ALL SEE