Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Vic stans think Phoenix Wright is a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how the judge is like "why the gently caress am I hearing any of this?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I'm not following this too closely, but did Vic hire Lionel Hutz?

Lionel Hutz would have done a better job

Also had a better voice actor too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

hosed up that the court found that a massive sex creep is a massive sex creep

It isn't fair the man who voiced tiny alchemist and loud goku didn't get to do whatever he wants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SoftNum posted:

LOL @ "It is the law that is wrong" haha. No KF, it's OK to call a man who has a loving 30 year history of attempting to molest underage girls a pedophile. You guys really picked a loving winner to stan here. Maybe next time pick someone without a storied history of what you say they didn't do.

For those following along at home, the vicstans are claiming that all 30 years of Vic's documented molestation are a conspiracy because <reason missing> even before he was Ed.

Because he is a white male christian, the most persecuted minority of all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There was also allegations leveled at Chris Sabat for running a casting couch-style audition process for women at FUNi and his own studio, but as far as I know the only place that's come up was in Chuck Huber's affidavit (which was entered by Beard, but later withdrawn). Sabat flatly denied it in a statement and as far as I know nobody's come forward to support the claims.

Yeah, that was pretty bluntly an attempt by the Vicstans to muddy the waters and start rumors. It started being *all* they asked about super quick until an article came out pretty thoroughly debunking it and pointing out the complete lack of any evidence or prior claims.

Unlike Viccy-poo who has been facing these allegations for longer than some people able to vote have been alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

One of Huber's things was he heard Sabat and others disparaging Vic's faith, and I'm wondering if that wasn't so much 'hur hur Vic's a Christian' but instead 'wow Vic's really bad at it.'

I mean to be 100% honest I can absolutely believe a bunch of 30+ nerds would be exactly the kind of people to be making fun of religion or at least making comments a religious guy would find uncomfortable. It's something I'm always kind of mildly aware of because there's a part of my brain that goes "that's blasphemous" when someone talks about Sonic the HedgehogxJesus yaoi fanfiction even though I'm far from a believer in any shape or form now. It's the kind of offhand joke I don't think most people pay attention to because their circle doesn't really contain people who would get strongly upset by it.

Vic's still a terrible example of his faith, natch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keltar posted:

You got to wonder about the mindset of these people. It's likely they are some scrawny loser but always a chance someone really is that deluded and could act.

It's worth remembering a not insignificant amount of recent mass shooters can be comfortably described as 'scrawny loser'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, that's not vic

that was richard hayworth, aka my man, kenshin himura :colbert:

Wasn't Kenshin created by a pedophile? Sounds like a role Vic would have excelled at.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

pretty much the only way it would make it is if they stuff the jury full of Fullmetal Alchemist and Broly fans

Statistically you'd probably have at least a couple who think dubbing anime is a sin and Vic is the world's greatest criminal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mallratcal posted:

I'm really hoping that this happens, maybe that will finally get them to wise up and realize that they have been lied to.

If they have gotten *this far* and haven't realized they're being lied to, they won't ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallorn posted:

One of the most toxic things I have heard from people as rumor was the number of cons over the years who had heard he was a scummy guy but also made sure he was a guest because he was one of the reason the con would break even. This is all hearsay but hearing it from people who this fact was depressing for was a WTF moment.

I mean if you're willing to put someone in a position to abuse children just so your anime con can happen you probably shouldn't be running an anime con.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

I think y'all are maybe putting your hopes too high? The defendants probably want this case to be over. They might just be fine with them paying the legal fees and calling it a day. Unless Vic's lawyers are stu...oh yeah. I'm not even joking here, by the way. I legitimately saw people fantasizing how this can all explode and though "no, that's too silly: its going to be more mundane than that; don't get your hopes up." But, as I was typing the sentence, it dawned one me that it could go down that way easily.

I think it's worth noting that the defendants wanting the case to be over probably doesn't go hand-in-hand with anything that gives Vic a plausible deniability because they still have to deal with what comes after.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I bring you all a present:

So what you're saying is that this case is going to cost Vic an arm and a leg?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patware posted:

has any chud ever accused someone of doing a thing they were not themselves doing

ever

"They just want women to rule the world and step on men" isn't something they are doing, just their personal fetish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

As someone who doesn’t watch dubs cuz it’s for trash people why are they so attached to Vic? Did he invent the yugioh abridged “SETO KAIBA” Voice and he was their missing dad during their formative years

It's because he voiced Edward Elric. That's it. That's the entire reason. People liked FMA and associate him with the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anora posted:

Click on the three dots on the side of the video thumbnail and tell it you're "not interested."

Also, just a weird aside, do you think half of these chuds know FMA was written by a woman?

I have seen them argue "the manga sucked the original anime is where the good writing is."

Mysteriously the original anime has much more rape, killing of female characters, and no Olivier Armstrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I'm sure a smart high school kid could pass the Bar exam, assuming they studied for it about as much as anyone else needs to.

It's entirely possible but it isn't like "Oh well it'll be easy." I took practice exams when I was in high school while applying to colleges and even as an easier 'practice' thing they required me to study my rear end off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

My assumption—when not looking at people on the Internet who may just be right-wing eugenics assholes—would be that any talk of “curing” autism is less about changing the brains of people living with it, and more about figuring out root cause(s) to reduce the incidence.

I can certainly see opinions being divided on whether this is a good idea, see also “eugenics.”

I mean that is still saying "You are a defect and if we had our way you would never have been born." It's a problem of lot of people who otherwise have good intentions run into because if you're going to approach from the perspective of "You really shouldn't have been born, how sad" you start going awful place awful quickly.

Would you approach someone saying "We're divided on if curing homosexuality is a good idea"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

You'd still exist, life would presumably just be easier for you. And if not for you, definitely for those whose autism IS a major obstacle and brings nothing but hindrance and hardship. Like to the point where they can't get out of bed or function at all in the outside world. Don't they deserve a chance at a better life? I work in child care, and one of the kids we had over the summer for day camps was full-on autistic to the point where he had no friends or any social skills, couldn't play with the other kids without melting down, and ALWAYS had to be holding his Thomas the Tank Engine toys and had to be bribed with Thomas print-outs just to co-operate with anything. And at age 9, that could be how the rest of his life will go. Doesn't Marco deserve a choice and chance to not be stuck like that for life?

It's very tempting to reply with to this with just "gently caress off" but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

No. It doesn't work that way. You are effectively saying "Wouldn't it be better if you were an entirely different individual because that individual would have an 'easier' life." What you don't seem to get is that you are saying, straight up, "You are defective and you should want to be the way I say you should be." And that is the exact loving viewpoint that is used to claim that 'normality' is the state everyone should try to achieve where that normality is conveniently something that carefully boxes anyone who doesn't fit your specific definition of normal in a 'defective' box.

Like the child you are talking about. You're not wishing an easier life on him. You're wishing he was a different person. Your view of 'a cure' is 'I don't think people like this should exist" and you seem to be of the viewpoint that anyone who falls into that category should hate themselves and wish they hadn't been born like that, instead of acknowledging that they were born the person they were and allow themselves to be happy, even if it isn't the life you personally view as ideal. Maybe their life would be "easier" if they had been born more neurotypical but you have no fuckin' idea about that. Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time helping special needs kids they are not 'broken' or 'defective.' They're different. They can still lead perfectly happy lives and pointing at a small child and going "He gets upset without things he finds comfortable! His entire life is ruined" is pretty lovely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress my identity. My identity loving sucks. I don't give a gently caress if I come out the other end a "different person". Hell I HOPE I come out a different person. It's still my body and my brain and my soul at the end of the day, they just think different than before. "Identity" is loving overrated.

I don't mean for this to sound offensive so I hope it doesn't come across that way but if you really genuinely feel this way you should talk to someone. That level of self-loathing and depression is not a good place to be. If you're worried about cost or anything there are a lot of free options especially for people with autism where you can at least discuss things. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for how you feel about yourself but I really hope you at least don't have to come at it from a place of thinking that you suck for how you were born.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

People have the right to bodily self determination, and i imagine there are a number of people with autism or other neurodivergant conditions who wish there were a tablet or a therapy or something that could make them neurotypical. This is no less valid than the people who think that their differences are a gift and wouldn't take said "cure", and its kinda bad that both sides seem to be telling the other that theyre wrong and bad.

This isn't really the case. The idea of a magic pill that fixes all your problems is a fantasy and always will be a fantasy. The world doesn't work that way. It is never actually going to be a thing. You shouldn't be telling people that it is okay to hate themselves and hate who they are. This isn't limited to autism and the same viewpoint is used to extremely harmful effect for other non-standard people. It isn't one people are willing to sit by and accept because it begins and ends at the view of "There is something wrong with you that needs to be fixed" and that viewpoint always leads to abuse in the long run.

It's absolutely 100% okay to wish that your life was easier because everyone does. But if someone is in a position where they hate themselves that isn't the same thing and it's a genuinely dangerous viewpoint to go "Well it's okay to hate yourself."

Namtab posted:

Also i will say that telling the guy who says he doesn't like being autistic to stop hating himself and seek therapy comes off as more condescending than you think.

Literally anyone saying anything but "sucks dude" comes off as condescending if someone wants to read it that way. People should not hate themselves and if that's a condescending thing to say then so be it.

dungeon cousin posted:

So another Texas VA is revealed to be a shithead. If this keeps up sooner or later we'll be left with Sabat voicing everyone again.

You mean he doesn't already?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1515534100790083590

The most predictable thing in the world happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It still makes my head hurt that Vic is 60 years old. All of this weird poo poo revolves an actual senior citizen who desperately clings to popularity over voicing anime teenagers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look, I don't want to gently caress children, I just want to gently caress children, it's completely different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they'll redub Junpei for the Persona 3 Portable release. That would be a case office guy actually getting paid and would suck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I heard stories about Vic being creepy to teens literally decades ago. Like I remember it coming up when I was playing Persona 3 for the first time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

he got called out for it very quickly (see it being known even before he was cast as ed as mentioned earlier in the thread) but if theres any community that loving hates women and wont listen to them at all, its western anime fandom, especially 2003-2016 anime fandom. you could see the downplaying start almost as soon as he was called out for it. 'lol theyre just mad he doesnt like yaoi' was a big one.

Yeah I know a lot of people (myself included) who found the entire thing so horrifying they just retreated back into their own little circles instead of trying to join larger fandom, especially in the early days where the internet was only kinda an option.

I'll never forget my first comic convention where a like 10 year old me was forced to listen to some guy talk about She-Hulk's breasts for twenty minutes while waiting in line because someone was VERY CONVINCED I cared about She-Hulk's breasts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He's the patron saint of assholes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The five or so NFL fans who are also into anime will find this extra amusing.

Man if there is one thing I know about NFL fans, it is that a whole fuckin' lot of them like DBZ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

He could still salvage a career by just laying low for like two years before apologising

He is also 60 years old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

Interesting play to get the police to help you prove that you conspired to murder someone. Does being in Vic's presence just naturally destroy your brain?

I mean even if they both go to jail one of them is far more likely to die miserable and alone in his prison cell than another just based on age alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

While true, until she came forward nobody was even looking for a dumb as gently caress murder plot. Surely Vic has done other completely moronic and embarrassing/illegal things within her documentational power that don't also find her lawyer shopping.

It is entirely possible that once freed from his cult of influence she feels genuine regret and wants to make a threat known before someone actually does get hurt.