Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo! :cawg:

So, any updates on the appeal after Vic's brief? Or is this whole thing on hold?

Next up are the responsive briefs from all of the Defendants I believe (and this isn't even factoring in extensions). I dunno if the Texas appellate courts do it, but the Plaintiff can do reply briefs within a shorter window if they choose to in other states.

And then it's up to the clerks to comb through all of this mess in a way that doesn't have their judges throwing poo poo in their faces at least the first go around, and then the Judges need to decide if they actually want to grant oral argument for this poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

'how dare you he ate a jellybean'

'the absolute nerve he just stroked somebody's hair'

'one time i turned into a dog and vic helped me thank you'

The fact that there people on Team Vic who just openly advocate for even feeling on a coworker’s hair unsolicited will never not be simultaneously hilarious and stupefying

Like, these people do have jobs with minimally competent HR departments right? Or were taught personal space and boundaries right?

Don’t answer any of that, I’m still just like “ where in the gently caress did they find these people” whenever I look at 99% or Vic supporters

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

It depends on how long they can study because only a literal prodigy is going to pass with the typical Bar Review two month period with no real exposure to law school. Plus, the time constraints take some true discipline.

Plus, even said prodigy is going to be turbo hosed because most examiners are looking for how you apply the law to the facts rather than rote memorization, and you might be dealing with an exam one term that wants to do something goofy like “I wonder how much they know about property law when buying wetlands, or how much they stayed awake during the commercial paper section of the review.”

Pretty much everyone in my group was taken completely off guard by how many mortgage questions were on our exam, we still remember that poo poo to this day despite show we took it over half a decade ago

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 2, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I would bet that Ty’s hellfiling is going to be notorious in the legal world; it’s pretty much a perfect example of what to show 1L’s in legal writing what not to do when writing a brief

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Lawyers love to pass around 'oh my god look at what this guy did' just as much as any other profession. At the very least so they can remember not to do it themselves.

I definitely did this to a law school friend that now primarily does Federal court diversity jurisdiction cases these days. She was in complete disbelief that this can even happen in civil practice these days.

But at least in my experience, law school was never too keen on exposing a "bad" example of a real life something for obvious reasons; but this though...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

At this point Team Vic’s only hope is that they are in an appellate court that prefers to decide on the merits despite obvious briefing procedural gently caress ups.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Should invite Johnny Yong Bosch just to really stick the knife in.

To be a fly on the wall if Vic ever saw “Johnny Yong Bosch - Voice of BROLY“

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Nick will probably start a GFM for this, and the Vic fans wont even ask questions when absolutely nothing happens and the funds get funneled to Ty Beard’s bank account for “ongoing legal negotiation fees”

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I mean, Nick has got to realize that even, if by the grace of God, the Appeals courts punts it back down to the District Court to decide the sole issue raised in his brief on the worth of the 2nd Amended Petition, he... has to realize that he even admitted the Amended Petition has no new information to consider really.

So cool, you sent it back down to the lower court just so Chupp can render the exact same judgment as before and probably have a good reason for quadrupling the fees and penalties Vic is on the hook for to get him the gently caress out of court with this nonsense

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Self reflection is not a vaunted quality in the conservative sphere. Self reflection = weakness. It is possible that he has never been forced to actually examine his actions and their potential consequences because he has never faced consequences. Toxic masculinity is a motherfucker.

I dunno why I'm reeling from this particular form of legal incompetence given that I see it frequently with much bigger ramifications for their clients on a daily basis, but this is just... fascinating to me that he's even doing any of this.

Like, notwithstanding the damage he does to himself by filing this brief at all (last I checked, pro hac vic is something that requires a process in every state simply so the Bar can actually be able to keep tabs on you and hold you accountable if you put the client in a worse situation, and Nick has not done any of this, and this is a legit ethical problem across two State bars and something that should have been drilled into him for his MPREs, and Nick saying he's a Texas LLC is essentially submitting to personal jurisdiction in loving Texas for no reason), it is pretty loving depressing that he hasn't even thought through the damage that this would do to the person he's trying to protect even if he's successful (him being successful in his argument doesn't magically make the proceedings skip a step; it bunts it back down to the lower court to consider the arguments he says the district court Judge missed in the 2nd petition; it's not going to suddenly revive all of Vic's causes of action, and I know if this does get reversed on a technicality that a superfluous petition should have been explicitly considered, that Judge is going to be pissed).

The grift-urge is just too powerful

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 1, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

We have not reached the bottom yet

Nick is going to have Ty file the brief

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

You know, I’m wondering how Vic’s dynamic legal duo, Nick and Ty are doing these days

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Changed his mind after "prayer and thought"

loving lmao

what are the odds that a bunch of vic stans and chuds are suddenly going to attend this church service thinking this is just a lateral move from his convention appearances

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

It is funny how many of the crowd that defended Vic will also say 'subs > dubs' or something.

I don't know if this was something you recalled from memory or you read one of the comments in MarzGurl's thread there, but still lol if the latter, those folks are nuts, big lol if the former because that legit happened in those comments and it confused the gently caress out of me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Maaaan I saw like, one youtube video related to... just Persona I think and Youtube filled my entire recommendations list with Yellowflash poo poo. My god that dude is a piece of work, but it absolutely does not surprise me that Nick/Screech is onboard with him

Edit: Oh it was on "censorship" in Tokyo Mirage Sessions when it got the Switch release, that's right

Also, also, I think Nick is a "lawyer" in the sense that he got his bar license in a state that doesn't require the bar exam, and has never actually done litigation on behalf of any client, so he just lawyers into the youtube void

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Given that Ty did probate matters, he would 100% be in filing hell and I highly, highly doubt he ever had a probate case that was contested enough to go to any kind of trial setting. At the very least, Ty has never actually done a defamation suit ever, which he only brought actual attorneys versed in defamation law maybe at the appeals phase or at the tail end of the lower court stuff, can't remember.

The more that I think about this, the more I am remembering that nah, Nick hasn't done poo poo besides get excessively hammered on stream

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Is that his actual testimony??

No but he did legit admit to cheating on his fiancé for the entirety of their relationship

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I thought that was a handout to his lawyers, not him.

A lot of Vic stans seemed to think this went straight to him at first until Nick said something to the effect of “well, it’s for his legal fees...” and people put two and two together and tried to tell his fans that the money was going straight to Beard for his “representation.” They didn’t want to hear that though or didn’t care.

I forget if this is before or after Vic won negative-$250k in his lolsuit

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ukraine: We need manpower and weaponry
America: Look the best we can do for reinforcements is sending in the English voice actor of Broly

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

It doesn’t help that the record in this case is an actual dumpster fire thanks to Ty Beard, wouldn’t be surprised if this case floated across several law clerks over the months all of whom ended up shoving it to a corner of their desk to focus on literally anything else

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 25, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Anime Matsuri did that, yes.

Though I wonder what kind of VA Director can, you know, direct without people going "wait aren't you that molester guy that's blacklisted?"

It’s just Vic but with a voice changer like what he did for Broly and that battle aura dude in Yu Yu Hakusho’s Dark Tournament and his face is always hidden

Well, probably not but I absolutely wouldn’t put it past him

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I need to see what Drip Jesus actually will wear to this panel

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Last I checked that group still referred to Vic as “The Fuhrer” too

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah if there's one point the vic stans have its that the industry has plenty of guys like vic, vic just pissed off the wrong people at the wrong time and thats why he got booted, not because what he did was uniquely terrible or that they were somehow unaware of it before it became a big public to-do

But in typical Vic stan fashion, instead of hitting people like Haberkorn or DC Douglas where their issues were caught on 4K or they admitted to it, they instead go hook line and sinker for the “Christopher Sabat has actually been running a Casting Couch for decades and that’s the only reason a lot of these (women} VAs have their jobs” variety of absolute loving fever dreams

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

I won't hear you slander the good names of All Might and Major Armstrong like that

Blame Chuck Hubert for taking that particular swing, and mostly miss because no VA had an earthly clue what the gently caress he was talking about (in which Hubert in the same breath kinda substantiated Vic as a sex pest too despite how he was trying to come to Vic’s defense, so lol)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I guess, but it seems like a lateral move because this stuff only came up because it is Vic adjacent (and the direct consequences of his dumbass suit), plus VA specific issues usually just get brought up in the threads for the anime they were involved in.

Plus, this case likely died under a mountain of paperwork on some judge clerk’s desk and we won’t be getting an update there for awhile (highly likely the judgment will be affirmed and Vic is out $300k while Ty Beard pretends this phase of his legal career never happened)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ty Beard is lucky as gently caress that the Bar Association didn't knock on his door about that notary fraud issue too lmao, he can go back to trusts and estate planning or some poo poo and pretend that this never, ever happened

I wonder if Rekeita is going to push Vic to appeal it to the Texas Supreme Court to continue the grift

Also, is this the first time the phrase "Broly from Dragon Ball Z" has ever appeared in an appellate brief

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 19, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I skipped around the Nick and Ty Power Hour/Postmortem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMv6_-0x-sk&t=3s

Three main impressions here (and no, I do not recommend watching the whole thing)

1. Rekieta is going to die from liver failure by the age of 40, holy poo poo he looks like an absolute wreck and drinks cheap whisky like he has crippling alcoholism
2. His audience lives in a completely different plane of existence from reality as we know it, holy gently caress. A lot of "well if you read the decision, it is actually very close!"
3. I would hate to be Ty's malpractice carrier watching him admit on the internet poo poo like "well I might have made a couple of mistakes, and I might have "over-pled" the case, but those were just technicalities! I also should have had Vic testify at the hearing! And for anyone that says I'm a bad lawyer, Vic is a better person than any of you and any of the defendants!!"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

This person if/since they were Percy Ty Beard, esq.:“How dare the trial judge not consider my attempt to sandbag defense counsel by backdooring in an entirely different responsive motion through a brand new petition after Labor Day because I hosed up and missed the deadline I agreed to, complete with my three fraudulently notarized affidavits”

“Pls don’t look at how I accidentally established my defendant as a public figure in this defamation suit, and pls really don’t look at how my client admitted under oath and demonstrated on video that he likes to get real close and grab the hairs of some of his coworkers”

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 23, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tbh Risembool Ranger Fuhrer Vic Mignogna isn't going to outweigh the many, many other non-sex pests who do fantastic work in the FMA dubs personally, but I understand the concern

Namtab posted:

Just seperate art from artist and enjoy things

doing that with FMA is easy, doing that with someone like JonTron, not so much, so good thing Vic isn't a one man show on anything worthwhile

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 26, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

He only ever really seemed to have two voices anyhow: his regular voice (Ed, Spirit, Rohan, Qrow), and “I just had rusty nails and broken glass for breakfast” (Broly, Bui)

I think he had a voice changer for Bui, and I want to say that Sabat or someone said a lot of his Broly screams were also computer assisted

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Didn't Vic get forced out of being a cop or a catholic elementary school teacher for an unspecified incident?

Or was it both?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Man, Ty Beard continues to impress on how he can always pick the dumbest solution in a problem.

He could have just said "I need more time to write the motion" and they probably would have rubberstamped it. Hell, if the problem is on his client's end, he still could have said that he needs to a short extension so his client fully understands his options given the length and complexity of the judgment (a nice Judge would probably grant this, a mean Judge would be like "that's your client's problem bro" but still).

But saying "I need more time to actually read and understand this" and give mostly conflict dates after the deadline is pretty lol. Not saying this will happen, and the court would probably still grant some extension, but the magic might happen if one of the defense attorneys files a motion in opposition essentially saying "but your honor he was on chucklefuck Nick's livestream talking about the judgment in length and he didn't seem to have a problem then"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 31, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge's don't want anyone loving with their vacation, and unless a lawyer has made them mad, they extend the same courtesy.

I’ve seen some judges deny some continuance or extension requests surprisingly at times (one judge gave an opposing counsel a 3 day continuance just over a weekend once), but those were situations where there was a non-zero chance the judge may swing on that attorney if given a reason, the history was that bad

Beard likely isn’t at that level yet so I am betting they will just grant his request, especially with these appellate judges, but they probably do get exasperated just reading his poo poo I’d bet

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 31, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lmao the only thing rehearing would accomplish is, if granted, the case would be stuck in appellate hell for another year before the entire appellate bench dunks on Ty and Vic. Again.

But it’s one of those things that attorneys file as a matter of course (unless the client told them to abandon the appeal).

I’m more surprised that Ty hasn’t filed an application for transfer to the Texas Supreme Court yet (or maybe appellate procedure is just different in Texas, dunno)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Then I guess my state is the outlier because here, we can file Rehearing and/or application for Transfers as joint motions (and usually the COA says no to both, and then you can apply for transfer to the state SC directly as your last shot)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 21, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I've seen photos of the guy, he also has a punchable face.

Given his general demeanor on Nick's stream, Ty just... kind of seems like an rear end in a top hat in general

And a walking heart attack for an unsuspecting malpractice insurance agent

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

As an aside, it is hilarious to me that the first time i spot tsob outside of the Gundam thread, it’s a lore dump about marvel comics canonically being very weird about she-hulk’s breasts

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Namtab posted:

A real lawyer would probably have taken the case, but would also have done their job properly.

Nah, even that wasn't the case. Even if it would have made it past the Anti-SLAPP part of the litigation, I'm betting the defamation attorneys Vic went to told him that he would likely lose on a Summary Judgment motion because these facts are not that great. But Vic probably didn't like that, started huffing his own supply of "I want to be proven innocent!!!" and alas, he's in the loving out-of-his-depth embrace of Ty Beard.

And it's hilarious that never at one point did Vic actually ever question Ty's competence at defamation proceedings (hell, Vic could file a complaint about Ty with the Texas Bar Association tomorrow and they'd probably look into this even now, because he only sought help from outside counsel well past the point where he already made multiple hosed up filings).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

the only way any attorney can get in actual trouble with the bar association is if they mishandle client trust accounts

Commingling or misappropriating client funds is the easiest way to get the bar association on your rear end, but to say that this is the only way is absolutely not true at all.

Hell, the attorney I replaced when I first started practicing got the hammer dropped on him years later for lack of communication and competence alone (although, what would have been a probation or admonishment for anyone else turned into a flat out disbarment because he was loving up child custody cases for lack of responsiveness or just not knowing what he was doing for at least 4 clients).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 28, 2022