Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so i had checked the hearing calendar for the courthouse to get an idea of how long this could go on: https://www.tarrantcounty.com/content/dam/main/civil-courts/DistrictCourts/Dockets/141st-CDC-Dockets/141hearc.htm

but rumour is it'll be the only case today now, so prepare yourselves

https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1169982752600612868

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean not for the reasons they think it is
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169989789506035714
i'm hoping papers for a federal case are served immediately

and no objections to the press being there, very common for a private figure in a pre-trial hearing

:same:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170007799373422592?s=19

:yeshaha:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170009407884804096?s=19

:drat:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ImpAtom posted:

Lionel Hutz would have done a better job

Also had a better voice actor too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Skwirl posted:

So, assuming everything is dismissed like it sounds like, what's the next step for the defendants and their lawyers to file an anti-SLAPP suit? Would that come up today or would it be a separate filing?

To be clear, claims being dismissed outright *during the hearing* is extremely rare-after the hearing the Judge has up to a month to decide on which claims to dismiss or not. Afterwards there would need to be another hearing to decide how much the sanctions (read $$$) against the plaintiff should be to deter future SLAPPs. If by some miracle any of the claims don't get dismissed, then the defense will move to summary judgement to get the claims dismissed (and they would win on this front due to lack of evidence, etc). Also plaintiff is still on the hook for cases already dismissed since they were jointly filed *cough* Jamie *cough*

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pigbuster posted:

lol at all the talk of an appeal in the replies. Can you imagine a higher court going over this sham of a case? Can you imagine Vic deciding to throw even more money into the garbage can?

The best part is, if he appeals, not only would he lose and have to pay the lawyers fees on those, but he'd have to pay for a whole new round of sanctions on each claim appealed :lol:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maera Sior posted:

Oh hey, it got a writeup in The Dallas Morning News.

Yeah, the writer, Sharon Grigsby, is kind of a big deal. She did a previous write up on this case like a month ago, with the prosecutors not responding to her for comment, and then a bunch of Vic stans started harassing her and insinuating a bunch of conspiracy gibberish. She also personally went to the court hearing today, so she got a first hand view of the shitshow.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

i dont want
to be fair

And this is why you will never be ADTRW mod.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Generally believe all Vic Stans believe he did nothing wrong which is very much scary on multiple levels

There actually are people with various degrees of opinion with regards to vic, the case as a whole, and the larger cultural movement, some of which are rather nuanced.

But 99% of what you see by volume are either chuds using this as a proxy war for gamergate/comicsgate/anti-sjw/anti-metoo bullcrap or gullible suckers who got lured into watching all the youtube grifters videos on the subject and have no idea that they've gotten suckered into a conspiracy themselves. Also the disengenuous arguments followed by gaslighting is extremely tiring to deal with.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anora posted:

What did he miss the court for today, didn't he have a subpoena to go to it?

He probably wasn't originally planning to go to it, since he had some event in California that he was at today, and he literally got the subpoena last night, so it would have been kind of unreasonable to get him back on short notice, though his inept lawyer, instead of arguing that in his motion to quash the subpoena, basically made up a bunch of flimsy excuses that boiled down to him trying to cover his own rear end so vic doesn't testify and expose him for fraud with regards to the false affidavits he notarized.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Reading the comments in that tweet and it's half people dunking on them and half saying "hey you should appeal!"

The ironic thing is the people saying he should appeal are playing the long con of hurting the dude more :mmmhmm:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flytrap posted:

Rekita is the kind of scumfucking shitbag who tells a woman "Uh huh, sure, being molested reminded of your rape, YEARS later." Because the idea that someone can be traumatized for LIFE is beyond his mental capacity.

I can't find the tweet featuring the audio clip anymore, but he also believes silence=consent and that affirmative consent is bs. The weasel face would probably rape a woman if he ever got the chance.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anora posted:

So if Vic does/can sue Beard or BFL for mishandling the case, do you think they'll represent themselves?

Lol no. Any good lawyer will tell you you should never represent yourself if you can help it, and to always go for a professional with expertise in the field that applies to the specific case you are handling.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

fritz posted:

Uh ....

They are the most tremendous lawyers. Believe me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

Following the lawspeak and unfamiliar names as a non-law-person is very difficult, so to make sure I understand this totally :

1) Vic is a creepy molester guy at cons and at work.
2) He finally gets called out on it by people, and gets blacklisted from doing VA work.
3) He files lawsuits against the people who called him out and Funimation who blacklisted him.
4) A youtube guy who's a friend of Vic starts up a gofundme to cover legal fees, gets over $200k from easily duped people.
5) He tries to get a lawyer to represent him but all the smart ones say "gently caress NO". Instead of a smart lawyer he hires an all-talk lawyer, Ty Beard. Beard proceeds to say how even an idiot could win Vic's lawsuits.
6) The case goes to court, Ty is hilariously incompetent. Like, cartoonishly bad. Makes Futurama and Simpsons lawyers look competent in comparison.
7) Most of the charges are dismissed and everyone makes fun of how ridiculously poo poo Ty Beard is at his job. An idiot did not win that day.
8) We'll find out if any of the other charges will be dismissed or not within 30 days.
9) Because the lawsuits were meant to shut up the people calling him a molester, which is against a law called 'SLAPP', Vic is most likely(Or is it confirmed yet?) going to have to pay his accusers for trying to intimidate them into silence via lawsuits. Very likely to be the $200+k from the gofundme and more.

Did I get those details right?

Somewhat, though the order is a bit jumbled up. For point 2, Roosterteeth decides to drop Vic and Funimation drops him after doing an internal investigation. It's the impending legal lawsuit that he filed against his former employer Funination, his coworkers, combined with the accusations that more or less ensure that Vic is now defacto blacklisted from most major dubbing studios (too much risk involved with hiring him).

Point 5 comes before point 4-we don't know the truth as to who reached out to who first or what negotiations took place regarding the GoFundMe, but Vic agreed to taking it and retaining Ty Beard (a family friend of Nick, the guy who ran the gofundme).

And as to point 9, SLAPP stands for 'Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation', which is a lawsuit that has no merit and is used as an intimidation tactic to silence people's right to free speech, free press, etc. Vic's lawsuit is a clear as day SLAPP, and many states have 'anti-slapp' provisions in their court systems to deal with SLAPPs-Texas has the TCPA (Texas Citizens Participation Act) which is designed to strike down SLAPP lawsuits and deter future SLAPPs by making plaintiffs pay all the defendants legal fees PLUS sanctions deemed necessary on how deep the pockets of the plaintiff go.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Somewhere in all of this didn’t a related party release those inappropriate “outtakes” from Funimation as a form of retaliation?

Yeah, Nick obtained them from an undisclosed source (probably a former funimation employee) and was trying to cause a shitstorm over it to get the #cancel crowd to attack Funimation, the VAs, and try to get Toei Animation mad at Sony and Funimation. (As well as to cover the the abysmal response to the TCPAs Ty wrote that was due the very next day :ssh: ) As you can imagine, none of that really panned out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dawgstar posted:

There was also allegations leveled at Chris Sabat for running a casting couch-style audition process for women at FUNi and his own studio, but as far as I know the only place that's come up was in Chuck Huber's affidavit (which was entered by Beard, but later withdrawn). Sabat flatly denied it in a statement and as far as I know nobody's come forward to support the claims.

What's more, the bulk of that was based on the assumption that this was why Stephanie Nadolny lost the role of Gohan.

Anine News Network actually released an article concisely addressed a lot of this stuff that Chuck claimed in his affidavit.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-04/updated-law-and-disorder-mignogna-counsel-files-rescinds-affidavits-in-3-days/.150613

And ooops:

quote:

In an audio interview with Jason of Maven Collectibles published in February 2019, Stephanie Nadolny said that in approximately December 2010 a female friend told her that she was being replaced in the Dragon Ball franchise. Nadolny states that she does not know why she was replaced.
"The director made a decision to make some changes and there's nothing I can do about it," Nadolny said. She stated that her last audition was with voice actor Mike McFarland in 2009 and it was the last time she heard from anyone at Funimation.
"I'm still very hurt by it," Nadolny said. "I was blindsided. No one explained anything to me." Nadolny goes on to say that she suspected her dismissal might have been in part due to a break-up with a man she was dating from 2003 to 2009.
"When we split, he absolutely, completely freaked out and his ego was affected, like 'I'm going to ruin your career.' He called all my employers and aired my business," Nadolny said. "I think that's what kind of led to me not being able to reprise my character." Nadolny described the situation as pushing her out of the "clique" within Funimation. She described the fall-out from the break-up as abusive and threatening.
In the interview, Nadolny stated she had at least three witnesses to her ex's behavior as well as e-mail evidence.

The audio interview is on YouTube here, and can confirm the statements match with the quote. https://youtu.be/b8Ry6ssUjAg

So all the rumors about stephanie and the casting couch, were 100% debunked. :razz:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I hope you guys enjoy future dramatic readings of the hearing transcript by famous dub voice actors

https://twitter.com/visoredavenger/status/1170448024771944449?s=19

https://twitter.com/sadogre/status/1170455447377260544?s=19

https://twitter.com/MrDCDouglas/status/1170574507083325440?s=19

https://twitter.com/apark2453/status/1170569270041800704?s=19

https://twitter.com/JoshMartinVoice/status/1170687411724140544?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Covok posted:

For a second, I misread Josh Martin's profile:
"One, only, and Original American voice actor for Dragonball Z's Majin Buu. Father. Husband. Vocalist for Rhymin' N Stealin'."

And, now, I can only imagine Majin Buu either being Hercule's son or husband.

It's pretty much canon that Buu is Hercules adopted son though :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was there ever any more news about the accusation against Todd Haberkorn? That seemed like it was a part of this at first, but it got overshadowed by how terrible Vic is.

Not really- Haberkorn admitted to date-raping Jessie Pridemore, and has basically kept quiet since. Supposedly he was retaining the same lawyer as Vic in case if he decided to sue her, but considering how this case is going, I'm sure he has 'noped' the gently caress out of there if he hasn't already.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Freakazoid_ posted:

Can't fault him on this logic, it's the same argument US banks used 10 years ago when mortgage notes went missing.

Fun fact, Nick Rekieta used to be a bank teller before he went into law school. There have been unsourced accusations on twitter that the reason for the sudden career change had to do with somebody getting caught with their hand in the till, so to speak. Considering that Nick is a trust fund baby, this very well might have been true.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Phobophilia posted:

What does Nick even make youtubes about im not clicking that poo poo

Nowadays it's 99% vic stuff, but he's always been an anti-sjw/comicsgate style bullshitter/conspiracy peddler.

RottenK posted:

i thought vic's lawyer was just some grifter taking an idiot chud and his manchild fans for a ride, i had no idea he apparently actually believes in his bullshit

So to be clear, there are two lawyers involved- Percy Tyrone 'Ty' Beard, who is Vic's actual lawyer (and lazy and incompetent).

And Nick Rekieta, who is a "lawyer" who mostly just bullshits around on youtube doing livestreams and such talking about anti-sjw bullcrap while pretending to know the law. He set up the GoFundMe for Vic as a way of 'punishing' the defendants who sought to go after "an innocent man" and somehow vic and him ended up talking and Nick introduced Vic to Ty, as Ty is a friend of Nick's family.

You know what they say, misery enjoys company.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Speaking of that and one thing I'm curious: Is it normal for a transcript to be made available this soon? Like I'm guessing that's part of the reason it was sponsored and stuff, but still.

Transcripts of hearings have to be paid for so that they are transcribed-they charge a lot to do this since they know once someone has a copy they will just copy it and spread it around. Usually people wouldn't really have a need for a transcript for a basic hearing procedure, but obviously this clown show was very entertaining. Also if the hearing was on a Monday instead of a Friday (because court is closed on the weekend) it probably would have been available even sooner.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Isn't he more into estate law which usually doesn't have a lot of judge trials (At least here in BC when I had to deal with Estate stuff it was with Court clerics)

Yes. This is his first defamation case. Ty literally doesn't know what he's doing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rest in piss

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Realistically speaking, yeah, Vic's still going to be making whatever con appearances he can, as well as possibly dubbing for small indie projects/studios.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1172650306464669697?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alan Smithee posted:

Ty Beard is actually sympathetic to the victims. He’s into legal humiliation and figured he’d impose his kink on Vic nonconsentually to give him a taste of his own medicine

Nah, Vic accidentally killed Ty's dog like 10 years ago, and this whole charade is just a huge dish of revenge served ice cold.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

divabot posted:

So, lawyers - is this Hsu guy another foolish person like Beard, or did he come across as a normally-competent lawyer who's been handed an absolute shitshow to do his best to recover from?

After Bead falsely notarized the affidavits in his response to the TCPAs, he got other lawyers in his firm to sign off on it, which would open up the possibility for them to get sanctioned too. What likely happened is that the firm saw the writing on the wall and hired Hsu to course correct this flaming, sinking ship the best that they could manage, while possibly offering a way to defend the firm from sanctions as a result of Ty's improper conduct.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There really is no bottom of the barrel for these guys, is there?

https://twitter.com/TheChrissel/status/1172901800694943744?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Considering how little his lawyer is willing to tall with Vic about the case (he didn't even know how much they were suing for during his deposition), I wouldn't even be surprised if nobody disclosed to him how much this could potentially cost him if he loses his claims. I have to wonder if anybody has broken the news to him yet...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1173053174845980672?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The extreme irony of this is that this could be 100% considered defamation, meeting the requirements of actual malice :ironicat:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1174057292729323526?s=19

quote:

On Sept. 17, 11 days after the hearing, Chupp called attorneys for both sides to his courtroom and ordered them to mediate by Oct. 3.  If mediation is not successful, he told the lawyers, he would rule on all outstanding orders the following day.

Chupp also handed out some of the threats of violence against him and others that were referred to him by the Fort Worth Police Department after his Sept. 6 hearing.

One email read: Hello, I just wanted to let you know that judge Chupp is a braindead moron and I sincerely hope someone accuses him of rape. You are the cause of school shootings ... suicides ... hate and violence. Judge Chupp just let a group of open criminals go free, shame on your kangaroo court. When people start uprising I hope your court is the first thing targeted.

One series of tweets included: "Disillusioned -- the strong reminder that justice only leaves the barrel of a gun." and "When the state fails to defend its citizens, it's only natural that the citizens take care of themselves. It would be a justified kill, and the person doing it can even get annulled for the act of killing and found not guilty for murder."

Chupp called on both sets of attorneys to refrain from inciting their supporters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Sorry in advance if I misunderstand things here, it's been a couple of hectic few days and all, but now the judge is giving Vic an out? Like I'm guessing he still has to pay legal fees and junk for everyone involved, but is the gist of it that if Vic and his clowns opt to retract the 5 remaining claims, he basically gets off "light"?

It's more like the judge going "Hey, instead of dragging this out with appeals/continuing on any surviving claims to only lose in summary judgment, why don't all sides just settle things off the record and bury the hatchet, so that this is resolved quicker, so that they may be less damages to the plaintiff, and so that way Vic can be made fully aware of the consequences of going forward".

The defendants can totally say "gently caress no, pay me $$$$", etc. I also suspect that this

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they have to reach an agreement with the other parties. read it as more "sort this out before i do it for you" and relies on ty being aware this is a lifeline and not a win

Considering they took the TCPA response extension as a win and did gently caress all with it, I sincerely doubt ty will be self-aware enough to plead with defense for leniency-the only way anything occurs is if ty fears enough for the risk of sanctions or if Vic becomes self-aware enough to try to end this himself.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To give you an idea of the level of "brain-genius"/gaslighting these people are operating on:
https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/1174105581986164737?s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1174119940640649216?s=19

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012