Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Am I reading this correctly? Vic’s lawyer tried to submit a Facebook ‘like’ of a post as evidence — in fact failed to submit anything of substance — and the Farmers and Vic fans thought this was enough to hang their hats on?

And it looks like this was all done at the behest of a Youtube lawyer who used this case as a way to practice some fine old nepotism...wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Julias posted:

Yeah, the writer, Sharon Grigsby, is kind of a big deal. She did a previous write up on this case like a month ago, with the prosecutors not responding to her for comment, and then a bunch of Vic stans started harassing her and insinuating a bunch of conspiracy gibberish. She also personally went to the court hearing today, so she got a first hand view of the shitshow.

why is everything a conspiracy to these people

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Ranzear posted:

It's all about validating the idea that mysterious powers and inexplicable forces are why they themselves are abject failures. It's a way to manufacture a scenario in which they have as little agency as minorities or women and that lack of agency is why they suck. It's about pretending to be oppressed because all they perceive is oppressed people actually making progress in the world while they don't.

Its an insanely egotistical and roundabout way to pull oneself down in the world as an excuse to be a lovely person.

"Nothing is my fault" writ large

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It is a good point to remember the legal battle isn't over, not everything was dismissed and there's still the 30 days to mull through. Don't count your chickens before they hatch or...something. :shrug: We'll know soon enough, it's not done until the full dust is settled.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Interesting going through the twitter comments. One thing I missed throughout the drama was that Vic now owes the defense six figures in fees etc because of the dismissals. Considering that money, will there even be an appeal? He probably can't afford it and I bet the fees go way over the go fund me that Rekieieieieieta put up.

I almost feel sorry for Vic Mignona. He suffered accusations (some of which he actually copped to and span back years -- dude knew he was a creep but couldn't stop himself I guess) and his career blew up, and then he was found and exploited by the alt right/chud crowd on Youtube, the same people who participate in Internet gossip shows where neo-nazis slapfight each other. The problem is, this audience isn't sincere, they're just looking for entertainment and they exploit anyone they can find. I don't know if Rekiita is part of that crowd but I do know he shares a significant chunk of that audience. (Please don't judge me for knowing this, I had to live with my mentally ill cousin for almost a year while he fell in with all that stuff. I had to smile and nod a lot while he explained all of these idiot niche interests.)

So what did they do? They caught wind of this case where Ess Jay Double-Us went after a white straight Christian male and they immediately realized they had the chance to exploit his perilous situation for entertainment. I don't think Vic is well versed in law -- most lay people are not -- so he didn't know enough to turn them down when the grifters showed up, setting up a go fund me for his legal expenses. Of course the other problem is that they also dragged this case all over Youtube and from what I'm reading here there is a lot of frankly ridiculous behavior that is now on the internet, forever, that could affect the case. It didn't even occur to me until I read some of these over. Mildly edited because twitter formatting.

quote:

Alan Rawls
@LoveMyTN

Vic himself. He’s on the hook. The GFM won’t help him because (1) Percy likely already billed all of it and (2) the GFM “war chest” will be factored into the sanctions determination.

The GFM was a terrible idea.

kcr
@nomoreASA

gently caress! This is kind of like what popehat et al said about maddox, though- just how liable can the client be for a faulty suit?? Isn’t it ultimately the lawyer’s fault if they go forward with a bad suit the client was told is winnable??

Alan Rawls
@LoveMyTN

You’re correct that the lawyer bears significant responsibility for something like this. And consider these dismaying observations:

1/

The TCPA is aimed at preventing litigious persons from filing frivolous suits. To effect this policy, the statute provides for sanctions. How much? Whatever the judge determines is sufficient to deter the plaintiff from repeating his blunder.

2/

(1) Nick set up the GFM and it’s currently over $200,000. So not only did Vic not pay out of pocket for this case, but he got $200K worth of representation for free. The sanctions award, then, will likely be *at least* $200,000.

3/

(2) Nick is on video, and on the record, as saying that the foremost reason for creating the GFM is he wanted to ground the defendants into dust. Vic associated himself with this person, gave the GFM his blessing, and accepted Nick’s help. Yikes.

4/

(3) Percy leaked deposition videos to Nick for the “Lawsplaining” show. Some time ago, I called Nick shortsighted for airing those depos. This is why. If I were Lemoine, I’d argue the “shock jock,” & Vic by association, started this lawsuit for amusement & YT.

5/

Other aspects of all this should give pause for concern. It’s hard to predict how much Judge Chupp will assess in sanctions. But considering Nick’s antics and Ty’s pitiful, wretched performance today, suffice it to say that Chupp will not be leaning toward lenience.

6/

TL;DR Ty and Nick have screwed Vic over so hard that it’s nigh incalculable right now.

There are a handful of users recommending that Ty notify his malpractice carrier. Not a bad idea. All of the Vic stans want to go forward with an appeal but it simply may not be financially feasible at this point. And holy poo poo, the plaintiff leaking deposition videos? Incredibly unprofessional behavior, and it was all done at the behest of appeasing the modern Jerry Springer Youtube audience.

I guess I'm repeating stuff a lot of people already knew but this is all new to me -- I stayed away from this because I didn't want to get too deeply into it but now its starting to come to a close and it's just terrible. A total poo poo show from start to finish. Man, why did it have to be this why? Why do childhood heroes end up being lovely? And then the leeches come out to sponge off that shittiness and they just contribute more poo poo to the world...

Talk about depressing.

e: the biggest take away for me is that Vic should have been told he has a severe problem with regards to respecting the boundaries of his fans and that he should have gotten help for it before it went too far. Who knows, maybe its hard for a VA to say "no" when you have a bunch of teenagers who themselves don't understand boundaries yet asking for your hugs and physical affection and then it snowballed from there. He would have been better off removing himself from that situation completely though and educating himself on how to set firm physical boundaries to protect his fans and himself. Now we've got this poo poo where he confesses to harassment and has a series of incidents from multiple people that span across years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

on fees there's a rough extreme lowball put together by dunford:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1170161391338176513
the replies by other lawyers mentioning the hourly rate could be double is not a promising sign

drat.

Nessus posted:

I mean, you're presuming he would have wanted help. I assume he instead wanted minors.

Yeah, that’s the awful bit. He could have pulled up and stopped himself but instead he went after minors because...well idk why these people operate the way they do.

Just super sucks. Why did you do it Vic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

why the gently caress are you stanning so hard for Mignogna. Were you part of his fan club at one point or something because goddamn does the post make you look almost as dumb as Vic's lawyers. You say Vic is being exploited which implies he's somehow a victim in all of this when it's fairly obvious that his initial response of barely copping to anything in his long and sordid history of being a lovely person at conventions (to put it lightly) shows that he thinks that he's not in the wrong outside of getting caught. He's all in with the assholes who support him and willingly accepts their help rather than trying to engage in contrition and getting help in how to not be a lovely person and to not take advantage of any fan that comes up to him and fawns over him.

I doubt he's never been told not to do the things he did with fans unless you think he's lived in a bubble his entire life where he's told he can do whatever he likes as long as his version of God says it's okay. Remember that his bullshit has been an open secret for almost a decade so to assume that he was never, at any point, told that some of the poo poo he was doing might've not been a good idea is idiotic at best. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt after it's gone on for so long without actual repercussions.

Endorph posted:

jesus christ, dude

dude was molesting kids well before he was a VA. and even if he wasn't you're literally saying 'it's hard for a VA to say 'no' when you have a bunch of teenagers...'

Dude literally raped kids. Somehow, hundreds if not thousands of other VAs manage to be around kids who want hugs without raping them.

I never said it was acceptable that he raped kids, and I’m not stanning for him no matter what you think. What I am doing is wishing he wasn’t a bad person who is a sexual predator and that he had the will to recognize what he was doing early on so he could change. Stans want to pretend he did nothing or try to justify it, which is not remotely close to what I said. I was trying to understand how he got to this point and how he justified attacking people for so long. It is also astounded me how quickly the lawyers descended on this case for a pay day but you’re right, it doesn’t matter. At this point it feels like karma, Vic will have to pay out significant chunks of money because he chose bad counsel to defend superfluous charges. Those only came about because he’s a piece of poo poo. That’s a consequence of his behavior, and he’ll have to live with it.

I’ll nip this derail in the bud by making this the last post on this particular subject, but holy poo poo, saying “I wish Vic was a better person” and trying to understand why he sexually assaulted people does not mean I am stanning for someone. For gently caress’s sake, I’ve been raped myself, I know how bad that loving is, so I’m not trying to say he did nothing wrong. He clearly did plenty wrong. PM me if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It’s a combo of “stalker” and “fan.” Over the top intense creepy fan, that kind of thing.