Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I remember reading Vic Stories from con staff here on SA in an Ask/Tell thread about anime conventions years ago, and that definitely wasn’t the last time I heard about his behavior. I thought it was fairly common knowledge so when this whole debacle started I was a bit baffled that suddenly the popular narrative was that Rial et al was making that poo poo up to frame him for (insert reason here). But thinking about it, it’s no wonder that it caught on in the current social climate, just as it’s no wonder that the accusations blew up on Twitter.

I remember Vic stories when Livejournal was a going concern.

What's funny is he went after Marchi and Rial when it from the way he talks about them and how Chuck Huber's affidavit (which has now been recalled after Nick touted it as a magic bullet) went on about them he really should have gone after Sabat and Schemmel, but they're men so.

Another fun fact is Beard was not Vic's first stop lawyer shopping. At least two other firms who have litigated defamation cases before told him 'thanks but nah.'

Also for funsies, here's a thread looking at stuff that Nick "Blackface Lawyer" Rekieta has said about the ongoing process:

https://twitter.com/Halfcockedlaw/status/1169925330456522752

(At least one sidenote, 'Mars girl' is MarzGurl, YouTuber and former Channel Awesome contributor who started the #KickVic hashtag which has gotten her as much crap as you think it has.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

things then get stranger as a new lawyer appears on Vic's side. theories abound: are they there to defend the firm from Beard? strange their background is guns and family law, not defamation or anything to do with a conflict counsel.

The prevailing theory is apparently he's there to minimize damages... to Beard's law firm, which makes it doubly hilarious that Vic stans assume he's been brought in as some sort of hired gun to bust the case wide open.

Edit: In case folks wonder who Grisby is, she's a reporter who wrote an article that didn't condem Vic but instead laid out all the facts and those condemned Vic instead so the Vic stans swarmed her and the paper to protest in their own inimitable fashion.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 6, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Vic stans think Phoenix Wright is a documentary

It is extremely shocking to see how many of them think that Vic is the defendant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ty's tried nothing and he's all out if ideas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It would be nice if this tanked Rekieta's rep and sent him scurrying back to his hole.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flytrap posted:

From what a bunch of lawyers in the threads are saying, this kind of Judge savagery is actually pretty common once they're convinced they're dealing with an unmitigated dumpster fire.

I've heard one key to any court case is never waste the judge's time. Like, ever. Even slightly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fritz posted:

Did Rekieta have any non-chud rep?

Sure, but as we've seen they love to eat their own and that would be the icing on the cake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/YellowFlashGuy/status/1170031558478258181?s=20

Check out the smoothbrains in the replies. These people are amazing.

Oh, it's better than I could have imagined.

"t was all to clear why they couldn’t be bother to practice their hearing have a secret weapon they know and paid off this judge it’s all to clear boys and girls and I hoped it wasn’t this but it is Ron Paid that judge"

"I don't even know anymore, it feels like due process is dead."

"#WHERESTHEPROOF"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

From what I understood, doesn't Vic have like a kickstarter/patreon for his legal funds or something?

Nick started a GoFundMe page for 'legal fees' but how much of that Vic gets is unknown. He only seemed barely aware of it.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1170049315450097664

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

As a lawyer, it was hilarious reading the thread about the case while waiting for my turn in chambers. Ty hosed it up ten ways until Sunday, as I thought he would.

I'm 100% convinced that vic's lawyers are stupid enough to appeal when he loses.

Also gotta start damage control

https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/1170045166536790016

Just wait 'til it goes to appeal is something we're gonna hear a lot, huh? What is there to appeal that you would legitimately want to waste an even bigger judge's time with?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On very rare days even the light breaks through the fog of the Farms.

https://twitter.com/DonPolanco/status/1170108708216627200

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

There actually are people with various degrees of opinion with regards to vic, the case as a whole, and the larger cultural movement, some of which are rather nuanced.

But 99% of what you see by volume are either chuds using this as a proxy war for gamergate/comicsgate/anti-sjw/anti-metoo bullcrap or gullible suckers who got lured into watching all the youtube grifters videos on the subject and have no idea that they've gotten suckered into a conspiracy themselves. Also the disengenuous arguments followed by gaslighting is extremely tiring to deal with.

There's also a segment who are just Vic fans but have foolishly conflated Vic with Ed Elric or what's-his-face from Ouran Host Club but yeah, it's mostly outrage tourism from folks like Jeremy "The Quartering" Hambly who caught on thanks to the Rekieta connection.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1170118818598981633

It's almost like it's not so much a court case at all and instead an excuse to bilk GoFundMe money from idiots who think they're owning the libs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Like I know the whole "A man representing himself has a fool for a client" thing is what you're going for, which fair enough, seems like the normal course of action, but didn't Mignogna tried to actually search two legit law firms to represent him and in both cases the firms went "Nope!" as quickly as possible, so he basically got saddled with Beard because Mignogna is legal poison?

It gets better, too. The firms who dropped him did so because - guess what - defamation cases are extremely hard to win. Especially when you're a public figure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

khy posted:

Following the lawspeak and unfamiliar names as a non-law-person is very difficult, so to make sure I understand this totally :

1) Vic is a creepy molester guy at cons and at work.
2) He finally gets called out on it by people, and gets blacklisted from doing VA work.
3) He files lawsuits against the people who called him out and Funimation who blacklisted him.
4) A youtube guy who's a friend of Vic starts up a gofundme to cover legal fees, gets over $200k from easily duped people.
5) He tries to get a lawyer to represent him but all the smart ones say "gently caress NO". Instead of a smart lawyer he hires an all-talk lawyer, Ty Beard. Beard proceeds to say how even an idiot could win Vic's lawsuits.
6) The case goes to court, Ty is hilariously incompetent. Like, cartoonishly bad. Makes Futurama and Simpsons lawyers look competent in comparison.
7) Most of the charges are dismissed and everyone makes fun of how ridiculously poo poo Ty Beard is at his job. An idiot did not win that day.
8) We'll find out if any of the other charges will be dismissed or not within 30 days.
9) Because the lawsuits were meant to shut up the people calling him a molester, which is against a law called 'SLAPP', Vic is most likely(Or is it confirmed yet?) going to have to pay his accusers for trying to intimidate them into silence via lawsuits. Very likely to be the $200+k from the gofundme and more.

Did I get those details right?

Pretty much. It's not that Vic is most likely going to have to pay the defendants' legal fees, it's just how much is the tab going to be. (Again, he's got money and his family has more, so it's no big deal for him despite protestations.)

One thing I've never been clear on myself is why he didn't go after Rooster Teeth, who also fired him and even did it first.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

do they realise vic's not the defendant yet

THEY NEVER HAVE.

It shocking how little of them seem to get that Vic is putting people on trial and not vice versa.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 7, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

Yeah, Nick obtained them from an undisclosed source (probably a former funimation employee) and was trying to cause a shitstorm over it to get the #cancel crowd to attack Funimation, the VAs, and try to get Toei Animation mad at Sony and Funimation. (As well as to cover the the abysmal response to the TCPAs Ty wrote that was due the very next day :ssh: ) As you can imagine, none of that really panned out.

There was also allegations leveled at Chris Sabat for running a casting couch-style audition process for women at FUNi and his own studio, but as far as I know the only place that's come up was in Chuck Huber's affidavit (which was entered by Beard, but later withdrawn). Sabat flatly denied it in a statement and as far as I know nobody's come forward to support the claims.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of Huber's things was he heard Sabat and others disparaging Vic's faith, and I'm wondering if that wasn't so much 'hur hur Vic's a Christian' but instead 'wow Vic's really bad at it.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mallratcal posted:

The kiwis have started a thread to make fun of the vicstans. I guess that's to be expected though.

Kiwi Farms loves nothing more than to eat their own, so it's not shocking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Props to folks going after Nick and asking why he's not streaming about the catastrophic failure. (He claims he was "at an event.")

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1170761979939540992

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For the type of anime fan who inhabits the Farms, Funimation exists in this weird area of simultaneously being the most important and least important component of the anime industry. Some of them genuinely, honestly believed that Toei would be super angry over a dub actor being removed from the role. I even had randos fly onto my timeline and inform me that, um, yes the Japanese are VERY VERY CONCERNED INDEED about those outtakes that Nick released a while ago and the reasons cited were Studio Khara angry over the 3.33 dub (which were them getting a story wrong and had nothing to do with outtakes) and a Japanese voice actress apparently not getting the humor in the outtakes in When They Cry which was made by... not Funimation. So.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fritz posted:

(from a "best" of collection: https://imgur.com/a/pY1bQ2d)

What gets me about that one is not just the racism, but they also seem to think that anime is being dubbed horribly (and they can, I don't care) so... why care about a middling voice actor who as noted above is mostly coasting on the strength of Edward Elric and the dude from Ouran Host Club?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Has there been any response from Star Trek fans about Vic? (He starred as Kirk in the Star Trek Continues fan series, which as far as I can see, were somewhat well received).

Not beyond them roundly laughing at Vic when he claimed 'to have been taught to be Kirk by Kirk' which according to Shatner amounted to 'I met him at a convention.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His actual fandom had been dwindling as dubs stopped being the only lens your average person saw anime (due to streaming services like crunchy existing). The vast majority of these Vic stans probably never heard of him or just vaguely knew of him until this case. They joined in just because it's a 'war against men' thing.

Yeah, and his stock had been going down in the dub industry for a long time. He made the 'Texodus' out to California and has not set the world on fire (examples of people who came from Funimation to do big things are Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham) and doesn't get cast in Funimation stuff anymore (or Sentai Filmworks - he's actually from Houston, not Dallas-Fort Worth) because it's expensive to fly a dude in to voice Japanese cartoon characters on the reg. Oh! And also because he is, quote, 'difficult to work with' being one of those people who thinks he knows better than the director which take is best.

That's the least of his sins, literally, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoyed Nick saying that Marchi's case was dismissed entirely because everything else was SO STRONG YOU GUYS REALLY the Judge wanted to focus on Rial and Toye's stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

Fun fact, Nick Rekieta used to be a bank teller before he went into law school. There have been unsourced accusations on twitter that the reason for the sudden career change had to do with somebody getting caught with their hand in the till, so to speak. Considering that Nick is a trust fund baby, this very well might have been true.

And I'm guessing he didn't exactly go to Harvard?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

And Nick Rekieta, who is a "lawyer" who mostly just bullshits around on youtube doing livestreams and such talking about anti-sjw bullcrap while pretending to know the law. He set up the GoFundMe for Vic as a way of 'punishing' the defendants who sought to go after "an innocent man" and somehow vic and him ended up talking and Nick introduced Vic to Ty, as Ty is a friend of Nick's family.

There is considerable debate how many cases Rekieta has even litigated. Like, folks are mostly sure he's passed the Bar and that's it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm sure when the site comes back up and they reflect on the pain and humiliation of having one's personal information being exposed they will have a genuine come to Jesus moment and wonder aloud to each other, "...are we the baddies?"

Oh, wait. No. That won't happen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1171545763719110658

And I was thinking of going, too. Yikes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In happier, or at least more amusing news, Funimation announced they're doing a theatrical release for One Piece: Stampede so they and Toei still seem to be doing okay despite dark ruminations that Toei would send the Yakuza to avenge Vic's honor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a better than average chance he could be set up next to the world's loneliest wrestler.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As somebody on Twitter put it: "Here, give me your money to fund a legal campaign in Vic's name... Oh, and the lawyer we hire will have zero defamation specialization because he is the estate lawyer in charge of writing me my trust fund checks."

No wonder Beard was so bad at it. If that's his main practice, he goes to the courthouse but never goes to court.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was probably telling in hindsight that Vic's first dubbing role was Vega from Street Fighter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the Threadnought law dudes is going over it, if you have time and patience.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1172642897566609409

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1172663688207245312

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

I'm gonna say that getting in front of a judge and thinking on your feet is really loving hard and I've been tripped up before with a judge asking a hard question. If you found my transcription I'd sound pretty dumb! but jesus christ this is bad.

Yeah. No lawyer is going to sound like Perry Mason in front of the judge (or Phoenix Wright to use somebody Kick Vic has heard of), but stumbling over words is one thing and the issue is Beard really didn't have any answers in the first place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

So you can appeal any ruling. Appeals, however, must reference errors in law (not errors in fact). Basically you have to prove that the judge misapplied a law or precedent inside of the case. You can't bring new evidence, or change evidence, or simply argue that you don't agree with a finding of fact (i.e. you can't just disagree with if they believe a witness or not).

"With prejudice" just means that the dismissal is on the merits of the case. A Judge can dismiss due to some procedural thing or another "without prejudice" which means the plaintiff is welcome to present the case to the court again with procedural errors repaired.

It's interesting (and typical) this is not the story Nick spins to the faithful. He makes it sound like you just go to higher judge for a do-over.

What makes this whole thing so maddening is it's very hard to determine how much of this stuff Nick spews is him just telling tales to keep in good graces of ISWV, ComicsGate and assorted morons and the other just being really bad at being a lawyer. Like somebody once said, even the worst lawyer who graduated law school is still a lawyer.

More fun with "Ty holds Nick's financial leash!"

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1172624066756235265

The case for conflict of interest would seem to grow larger by the day.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 15, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a bold flex for Vic to insinuate other people don't have jobs, families, relationships for covering his awful attempt at a lawsuit when his only and current gig seems to be going to bottom-tier cons held in... uh... a converted warehouse, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1173582796612349953

"I've got to get it, you know."