Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dawgstar posted:

For the type of anime fan who inhabits the Farms, Funimation exists in this weird area of simultaneously being the most important and least important component of the anime industry. Some of them genuinely, honestly believed that Toei would be super angry over a dub actor being removed from the role. I even had randos fly onto my timeline and inform me that, um, yes the Japanese are VERY VERY CONCERNED INDEED about those outtakes that Nick released a while ago and the reasons cited were Studio Khara angry over the 3.33 dub (which were them getting a story wrong and had nothing to do with outtakes) and a Japanese voice actress apparently not getting the humor in the outtakes in When They Cry which was made by... not Funimation. So.

Yes, Toei is notoriously picky about their English dubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Losing my case hilariously so next time I know what to expect. A tactic only the greatest lawyers are capable of employing.

Edit:
I think I may actually read that Twitter novel, because basically every tweet in it is insane.

https://twitter.com/WhippleMarc/status/1170913120233119744?s=19

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 9, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Flytrap posted:

Can't find the post, but I remember someone in one of the threads said something about to even GO to appeals you have to put up enough cash up front, and that amount is based on how much you're worth. Vic would apparently have to pay about a million bucks to even begin trying to appeal.

I true then I can see him not bothering, since he already wasn't willing to pony up the cash to do this in the first place.

You just pay your lawyer to keep working on your case. It's not a bond hearing or something.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there was a small update yesterday, mediation should be wednesday

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1177306555391328259

Isn't the deadline that the judge gave October 4th? Unless everyone is expecting things to be a quick meeting of Go gently caress Yourself/No, You Go gently caress Yourself, I would think an actual mediation and creating of proper legal documents would take more time than that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

A successful mediation means no possiblity of appeals, right? That's the main reason I would agree to something less than a massive check if I was a defendant.

Yeah, it's about the only real thing that would push the defendants to settle instead of telling Vic and the crew to gently caress off.

The biggest hurdles are probably Vic being too big a poo poo to offer even a lawyer written and vetted apology, his lawyers being too stupid to realize they're on the short end of the stick here, and both of them being too idiotic to even manage to come to a reasonable agreement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait for Vic to also get a bible reading from the judge and a promise of a study bible for prison.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm kind of hopping Vic and the brain trust are dumb and incompetent enough to appeal this all the way to the Supreme Court. It'll take longer but the reward of seeing them fines and sanctions will be sweeter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gripweed posted:

please please don't wish for that to happen, the world is dumb enough that it could, and there's at least two rapists on the Supreme Court who would side with Vic

It'll just be months of appealing to a higher court, who tells them to gently caress off, followed by appealing to the next highest court until they hit the final wall.

There aren't 4 votes on the Supreme Court to grant cert, so it's just increasing the penalties and cost for Vic and the crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

value-brand cereal posted:

Ah yes, the Salem Witch Trials, where mostly women were tortured and horrifically murdered for the crimes of potentially being a witch. That's definitely similar to the #metoo movement in which men are oppressed and abused.

So is the #metoo Giles Corey a very inappropriate chubby chaser?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Julias posted:

It seems the theme of being unable to count or do basic math among Vic supporters still persists, calling 250-300k 'near a million dollars'.

Pretty appropriate though considering the frequency of speed subs and scanelators to gently caress up numbers by nearly or exceeding orders of magnitude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I love the idea that every day Kirby would kill exactly four nazis. Some days he'd be done by Breakfast and some he'd be out until midnight, but he always got his four.

Julias posted:

It's basically just gamergate for the western comic book industry yeah, hating on things like Marvel and DC trying to appeal to minorities and any criticism of right wing politics/support of left wing politics.

If I remember, the main focus was on the blasphemy of using the tradition of legacy characters to let someone who wasn't a straight white guy be somebody.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It turns out that the Judiciary is a subs only entity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeether posted:

Jesus christ.

Update on the con poo poo, he was at a booth near Collective Con in Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago and was posing for pictures with fans without a mask on because that was an option.

Anyone going to a con in Florida right now is already loving around at a level beyond what wearing a mask is going to mitigate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wark Say posted:

I legit wonder if they scheduled the event before checking what was really up with him and once they did their checkup, they went "gently caress EVERY SECOND OF THAT"

Yeah, there's minimum standards to qualify for "Only moral abortion is my abortion" hypocritical chaff status. A "WHO?" voice actor that isn't even doing something that would actually "own the libs" is well short of that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RubberLuffy posted:

and now I guess the church thing is back on

what a rollercoaster

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1380903913553977344

Another successful case of internet bullying.

I wonder if the blue hairs and the others not in the know are going to get treated to a conversation about how the Devil worked through Funimation and some :females: to try and snuff out his valiant Christian Soul.

Ethel, Agnes, and their gossip girl crew are going to react real well to finding out he's been spreading Alchemy to the children through cartoons.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wark Say posted:

lmfao, jesus. The fallout between Mignogna and his lawyers after this whole thing wraps up is probably gonna be loving hilarious. It still sucks that Mignogna basically got away with sexually harassing/assaulting people/grooming underage girls for so long, though.

I think you'll find that, actually, not voicing Broly anymore is an outrageous punishment that may even violate the 8th Amendment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Munin posted:

The deposition where he mimes grabbing the hair of one of the people who accused him of abusing her is very :stonk:

This is all so stupid. Let me show you the completely non-abusive and totally work appropriate way I grabbed her hair.

Why is everyone holding their head in their hands?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When you give the masses money it's bad and makes them lazy. When you give the rich money it's good and makes them industrious.

Which is why unemployment benefits are bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wark Say posted:

At this point I'm legit wondering if he even benefits from con-going all that much given that he's apparently still doing well enough to not loving bother and he hasn't even worked in any shows/games/etc. for 2 going into 3 years now.

Without the cons how does he get his fix of in person adulation though?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gninjagnome posted:

I mean who would want to spend three days in a mall in NJ?

Sounds right up Kevin Smith's alley.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Hellsing Ultimate just got way edgier than I remember.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ah, so Laura Ingraham was actually just a huge Hetalia fan at the wrong convention.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Theoretically, there should be a situation where a fruitful discussion about the importance of carefully delineating between a pedo and an ephebo can be had. Unfortunately no one has ever been able to create conditions for such a discussion without someone involved being oddly interested in explaining how it's not that weird to find 14 year olds hot as poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Endorph posted:

technically speaking 'ephebophile' includes 18 and 19 year olds so there is that distinction, but, somehow the people who are very insistent about that distinction arent the guys who are just into college girls.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the creeps super excited about 18th birthdays are actually any better than the creeps arguing over how it's actually ephebophilia.

It kind of even makes it creepier if you took the time to look up all the relevant legalities and loopholes on age of consent in order to justify why it's ok for you to lust after [child in question] in 3 months 5 days 12 hours and 32 minutes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is kind of unusual how Vic managed to try out so many different predator friendly fields and then fell into anime web-addicts as his Greek Chorus. I mean, if you looked at the history, he must have really hosed up his Fundamentalist Christianity via Liberty University trial run. You've got near infinite get out of jail free through the grace and power of god cards on that one. I remember that the pastor of my childhood church took decades to go too far, when he showed his dick to one of the old timers who wasn't having any of that "gay" stuff. I really found it funny that of all the stuff I found out he did in passing, it was the pulling his dick out to a guy that was the bridge too far. Jesus can forgive any sin other than making a 70+ year old guy look at a dick that isn't his own.

At least after all the years Vic finally managed to step on the one true trap, and blasphemed Capitalism by trying suing a multinational.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

Though it's worth noting that his problem wasn't just doing one or two incredibly hosed-up things that he could wait for everyone to forget about, but constantly being a horrible rear end in a top hat to everyone over the entire course of his career. Unlike a number of other MeToo cases, this scandal was directly connected to his inability to chill.

His true greatest sin, in regards to employment, remains suing a big boy company.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I know a lot of people (myself included) who found the entire thing so horrifying they just retreated back into their own little circles instead of trying to join larger fandom, especially in the early days where the internet was only kinda an option.

I'll never forget my first comic convention where a like 10 year old me was forced to listen to some guy talk about She-Hulk's breasts for twenty minutes while waiting in line because someone was VERY CONVINCED I cared about She-Hulk's breasts.

You never know, your knowledge of gamma ray titties may save your life one day. It's not likely, but What If?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
We are talking about an industry where fridging women was an issue. An issue that had to be argued it existed despite the nominative fridging of a woman, and fans/creators still aren't 100% on board with being an issue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Nice! posted:

100% true. Criminal records in this state are public. You can go grab the mugshots of the day from any local newspaper, pull up the clerk website for the relevant county, and download all the case files (at this point usually just the Probable Cause Affidavit).

People are people. Florida man exists everywhere. There is nothing unique about FL that makes the people fundamentally different - but sunshine laws have a biiiiig impact on how much that news gets out.

To be fair, Florida is one of very few places in the world where it's possible to use alligators as a tool for crimes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TenementFunster posted:

it is to hold the accused out to public ridicule and reputational harm in anticipation of trial, op.

it’s the reason it’s done predominantly in Shithole States like florida

Actually it's an uncorrected and intentional side effect of Florida's broad public access to government records laws. A peanut butter in my chocolate accident.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

secretly best girl posted:

This did show up in a chat earlier, can't confirm the where of it being THAT SPECIFIC parking lot, but...

When you show up to an empty parking lot, does your brain fall down an internal rabbit hole of past mistake examination, or is your brain simply incapable of such introspection? Do you spend the whole ride there and back not in the throws of despair but rather thinking that this is another good day?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Interesting play to get the police to help you prove that you conspired to murder someone. Does being in Vic's presence just naturally destroy your brain?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Also by stepping forward with evidence, she could potentially get a plea bargain for a reduced sentence

While true, until she came forward nobody was even looking for a dumb as gently caress murder plot. Surely Vic has done other completely moronic and embarrassing/illegal things within her documentational power that don't also find her lawyer shopping.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lying about being on MTV Cribs is one of the saddest lies I've ever heard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FilthyImp posted:

So his daughter was the one posting Chudshit and crying about people being too sensitive?

What

My understanding is that social media run by the famous person themselves is rare, most often it's part of their business management people's purview.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I imagine every day for a multimillionaire 90 year old is basically the same as shown in the Denny Crane documentary he did with James Spader.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also his blacklisting from the industry is almost entirely because he felt it was a good idea to sue Funimation in addition to the other people for defamation. An incredibly stupid move that made it impossible for him to weather a temporary storm of sex pestery and come back like most creeps do.

I mean, who looks at their legal team of an Estate Lawyer and an online troll and thinks that it's time to take on Sony's corporate team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Turns out it's surprisingly hard to win a defamation lawsuit over someone saying you did a thing you agree you did. Even if you hire a legal genius so brilliant all of law twitter comes together to laugh at his work.