Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Can someone TL;DR this for me?

Why is this Vic Mignogia guy suing others (Aside from the hope for an easy payoff)? Like, what's his rationale behinds the cases? Is he trying to deflect attention from poo poo or what? I'm having a slightly tough time from the links provided getting a clear picture here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Following the lawspeak and unfamiliar names as a non-law-person is very difficult, so to make sure I understand this totally :

1) Vic is a creepy molester guy at cons and at work.
2) He finally gets called out on it by people, and gets blacklisted from doing VA work.
3) He files lawsuits against the people who called him out and Funimation who blacklisted him.
4) A youtube guy who's a friend of Vic starts up a gofundme to cover legal fees, gets over $200k from easily duped people.
5) He tries to get a lawyer to represent him but all the smart ones say "gently caress NO". Instead of a smart lawyer he hires an all-talk lawyer, Ty Beard. Beard proceeds to say how even an idiot could win Vic's lawsuits.
6) The case goes to court, Ty is hilariously incompetent. Like, cartoonishly bad. Makes Futurama and Simpsons lawyers look competent in comparison.
7) Most of the charges are dismissed and everyone makes fun of how ridiculously poo poo Ty Beard is at his job. An idiot did not win that day.
8) We'll find out if any of the other charges will be dismissed or not within 30 days.
9) Because the lawsuits were meant to shut up the people calling him a molester, which is against a law called 'SLAPP', Vic is most likely(Or is it confirmed yet?) going to have to pay his accusers for trying to intimidate them into silence via lawsuits. Very likely to be the $200+k from the gofundme and more.

Did I get those details right?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Excellent. After reading that io9 article that talked about how creepy he was I'm glad to see that things are really going well for the defendants and that creepy-rear end molester guy is about to be creepy-rear end molester guy with significantly less money and no job prospects on the horizon.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Vicstans have found the judge's Facebook page and are bombarding it. This will surely help Vic win his case.

Every post in this thread just gets better, doesn't it?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I didn't know what kiwi farms is so I went there, and holy poo poo. These people are amazing.

They keep saying this ruling is the 'end of anime' - because let's face it guys, Anime is all about the english dub VA's. ANIME IS DEAD! Wrap it up, close down ADTRW, because one VA losing a court case has shut down the whole shebang.

They keep worrying that 'Anime is being taken over by the SJW's'. Like, I honestly don't know if they understand that it's all made elsewhere and the VA's have absolutely no say in the art direction, style, story, or anything else that makes it good?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Covok posted:

It would blow their minds to find out that Japan has vastly different views on homosexuality and trans genderism and that conservatism means something different there entirely.

I wonder if they realize that the VAST majority of japanese anime fans don't have a clue who the hell Vic even is. They make it sound like he's this tremendous figure in Anime when in reality he's a complete nobody in Japan.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Endorph posted:

He's a complete nobody even in America. Besides his legacy roles like Ed and Broly the last role of literally any significance he had was Rohan in JoJo's, and before that you have to go back to him being Rin in Free. For the past decade he's had a semi-important voice role every like, 3-4 years. The most significant ongoing role he had at the time of this all going down was Qrow in RWBY, which isn't even an anime.

He's one of the bigger name dub VAs and he has a fan following but he has barely any cultural significance outside of people that both watch anime and care enough to look up who the VAs are. Casual anime fans have never heard of the guy, and frankly a lot of younger people probably haven't either, even if they actually watch a decent amount of anime.

I honestly didn't know who he was until this thread right here. But then, I don't really watch dubs at all.

My impression of him when I first saw this thread and read about him on io9 was 'creepy-rear end predator'. My impression of him now is 'creepy-rear end predator with an unimaginably lovely lawyer'.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 8, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Namtab posted:

We lost this battle, badly. We have no soldiers left and only one gun. But we learned a lot about the enemy and in future engagement we'll know we should bring weapons

Ty Beard seems like the sort of person to show up to a fight against 100 enemy soldiers with 1 soldier that has 1000 weapons.

"We have ten times the amount of weapons they have, there's no possible way we can lose this battle!"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know lawyer speak. I don't WANT to know lawyer speak. Anything beyond an episode of Law & Order or a Phoenix Wright game is so far above my head I voluntarily drown rather than try to surface.

That said, this was such a complete and total cock-up on Ty Beard's part that I can't help but want to read the Transcript.

I mean, how the hell does an actual paid-for legitimate passed-the-bar lawyer tell a judge he wasn't listening?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Someone brought up Harlan Ellison, and one of his better known works involves a sexual predator named 'Vic'.

Obviously this is no mere coincidence.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't understand lawspeak and what goes on in a courtroom would probably give me a migraine, but I know enough about law and court to know that the system gets abused constantly. I despise that. I despise the fact that patent trolls take advantage of the system to gain a buck and hamper innovation. I despise the fact that people use the courts to shut others up. I hate the fact that a system designed to protect people is twisted and abused into a way to hurt people, and that it's done so with an alarming regularity.

So I just gotta say, this whole goddamn circus is amazing and makes me feel so good watching Vic's lovely suit get completely and utterly wrecked. I smile and chuckle to myself with glee when more and more tales of Ty Beard's utterly inept courtroom antics get mentioned. I have no horse in this race, I don't really like dubbed stuff (just my personal preference), and honestly I had never heard of any of the VA's in question before I found this thread but all the same I find myself rooting for the defendants to get the whole shebang dismissed and then get some hefty punitive fines added on just to drive home how bad an idea this 'sue 'em to shut 'em up' suit really was.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Soooooo.

I was playing Borderlands 3, and I like the Lorelei character. I looked up the VA, and was surprised to see Jamie Marchi was the VA.

Made me smile, because she not only got a VERY satisfying win in court but she ALSO managed to do an extremely good job voicing a fun character.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

She doesn't voice Lorelei but Ellie and has done since Borderlands 2, she's cool.

Google told me she voices Lorelei. Ellie is cool too, but if Marchi isn't Lorelei then who is lorelei's VA?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jesus christ this trainwreck is just amazing I cannot look away from it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I haven't caught up in the past 10 or so pages. After the judge said the lawsuit is moronic and Beard appealed, did anything else happen?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Well no, he's paying about $500k in attorney's fees. The actual sanctions, the awarded purely to dissuade Vic from trying this poo poo again, amount to $15k. Which seems pretty drat low considering how much was crowdfunded to start this whole thing in the first place.

A bit low for what I had hoped for. I was hoping for all attorney's fees, the entirety of the GFM, and then sanctions on top of that... but hey, at least this means that the defendants didn't have to spend anything out of pocket?

I'd count that as a win if not for the fact that Vic managed to make them go through this whole loving circus and spend months and months of their lives on what has to be an emotionally draining ordeal.

Makes me think of John Oliver's episode on SLAPP, where he talks about how draining the suit was and how much time and energy was spent fighting it. Also makes me wish that some of that $500k could go towards a big musical number telling Vic to eat poo poo, but that's because I'm a spiteful rear end in a top hat and John Oliver's success against Murray set an unrealistically high standard of retaliation against SLAPP fuckery.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 26, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm not a legal guy, why is it signed '/s/Ty Beard' at the bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1213231085129289738

Someone's been watching too much Law & Order