Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I devoured all of the paths and ended up with...about 190-200 hours, I wanna say? This game activates my optimization instincts something fierce, so I imagine I'm probably quite a bit lower in total playtime than most people.

It's a big project, but luckily for all of us, I'm too stubborn to give up on an idea once it enters my head, and this was a perfect chance to act on the "do a Fire Emblem LP" idea that's been buzzing in my head for six years. By extension, I'm also too stubborn to give up. :v:

At least you'll still be playing it when all the DLC comes out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

Especially with the weirdness where it feels like they ran out of time on modeling or something, because there's a bunch of natural progressions that just... stop for each gender.

This seems to be the case for at least War Master, there's proof in game that it wasn't meant to be gender locked at all, so it may have happened because they couldn't get all the models in time.

Other classes are less clear, Gremory feels like it was always meant to be female only, Pegasus Knight is Pegasus Knight, but then you have Hero which usually isn't gender locked.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Apparently the gauntlets have issues with not being aligned correctly on female models so the fist classes being gender-locked may be a result of that as well.

It still extremely sucks, though, and I would rather that they cut the fist weapons entirely if it meant that they then had the dev time to make other classes not gender locked.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Ah, lovely! Nice to see a screenshot LP of this getting kicked off. Will be following with great enjoyment.

I'm of the mindset of "the classes may be jerks on some fronts, but hopefully we'll get DLC improving the situation, and also I will make girls punch as much as I want to and the game can't stop me with optimization nonsense."

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jadecore posted:

Ah, lovely! Nice to see a screenshot LP of this getting kicked off. Will be following with great enjoyment.

I'm of the mindset of "the classes may be jerks on some fronts, but hopefully we'll get DLC improving the situation, and also I will make girls punch as much as I want to and the game can't stop me with optimization nonsense."

If turning characters with 15% STR growth into melee monsters is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Gauntlets are arguably the most broken weapon type in the game once you get past the early game and I look forward to abusing the poo poo out of them.

Which makes me extra sad that women can't use War Master, because look at this:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Do your bare hands have durability (and if not, can they use arts)?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
They do not have durability. I don't have an easy way to check right now, but I would assume they can't use Arts.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You assume correctly. Not having a durability score means you have no resource to feed your arts with. Still nice to not have to spend uses to punch people, though!

As for the subject of gauntlets on girls, i find gloves are so powerful it doesn't really matter if you get fistfaire or not. It doesn't show up until level 20+ anyway, and anyone who was doing well with them for the first 20 levels probably doesn't need the boost to horribly overkill most enemies. This will maybe change once higher difficulties drop, but for now, you can follow your dreams and punch everything! War master's mastery abilities are cool, but unless you grind for them, that's strictly endgame stuff if you get it at all, so it doesn't really play in.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Fair. Having Crit +20 would've been nice. though. :(

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I can kinda let gender-locked classes slide, because the class (and weapon) system is so free outside of it that at least in terms of gameplay mechanics, it makes units a little less homogeneous.

At least, in theory, if Wyverns don't exist.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, is this a game everyone's been on about in the Twitter circles? And most other places too? Well, my budget does not support a switch at the moment, so I might as well see what the hullabaloo is about.

Abby, I suppose. No idea about mechanics, but girls can use more representation in games, so...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yes! I was hoping someone would do this game so I could see it. Joe (American voice actor for Claude) has been a friend of mine for years as it was great to see him get a big role like this.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'm gonna go for Adan for the first run.

Also, I'd ask if the updates can be posted on the thread instead of the Preview test site? It is kind of awkward having to go to a different page every update.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Siegkrow posted:

Also, I'd ask if the updates can be posted on the thread instead of the Preview test site? It is kind of awkward having to go to a different page every update.

Ehh...

I kinda don't want to do that since I consider rhematic the "definitive" version of the updates, since I have way more control over how things are laid out over there. Posting updates in the thread will make readers probably ignore the rhematic versions, and I kind of have a natural impulse to guide people to the definitive version, y'know?

Also, I kinda don't like posting updates in the thread since it can cause slow or even just momentarily-bad internet connections to choke for a while.

Also also longer updates will require splitting into multiple posts and that always felt kinda clunky and bad when I had to do it for my first LP.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yes! I was hoping someone would do this game so I could see it. Joe (American voice actor for Claude) has been a friend of mine for years as it was great to see him get a big role like this.

Aww! If the topic ever comes up, tell him that some random internet lady who bothered to do a screenshot let's play of 3H really enjoyed his performance.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I've seen a few FE LPs that tend to divide the updates in a pre-battle Lore->battle->Post-battle lore way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Keep posting on your site because the Awful app is terrible and loads whatever images it feels like, but also, refer to it exclusively as Rhea-matic while the LP's ongoing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Keep posting on your site because the Awful app is terrible and loads whatever images it feels like, but also, refer to it exclusively as Rhea-matic while the LP's ongoing.

God that reminds me of when Rhea was first unveiled and the early reports romanized her name as "Rea." That would've been...strange.

(For those not in the know, I go by "Rea" on places other than SA.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I don't even know the guy and it was fun to see him get it. Dude hamming it up in celebration on twitter after the nda lifted was great.

e: yeah with a project this big the offsite is kind of handy for me as a frequent mobile reader. The game is long enough that it'll get pretty easy to hit a point where discussion slows enough for multiple updates on a page and that causes things to explode.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 6, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Ohhh it is your personal website. I thought it was a different forum.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Fair. Having Crit +20 would've been nice. though. :(

Yeah, I'm not going to claim a female unit will be as good at punching as a male one, I just want to underscore that you very much can make women punch things and they can still be very good at it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This might be asking a bit much, but is there any chance of you linking to the game's music tracks at the appropriate places? This game's music is really quite good at conveying the appropriate mood, and it would be a shame for blind readers to miss out on it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

This might be asking a bit much, but is there any chance of you linking to the game's music tracks at the appropriate places? This game's music is really quite good at conveying the appropriate mood, and it would be a shame for blind readers to miss out on it.

I've been pretty meh on most FE music but I agree with this. A lot of good tracks on this soundtrack, and I really like the way the songs have multiple, uh, mixes, so they can transition between scenes.

I don't think I've liked an FE game since Sacred Stones, and I found this one to be pretty good. I have a laundry list of issues with it but I'm probably going to start my second New Game Plus run this weekend so I guess they're pretty minor. Maybe I'll hold off until I can see what route the LP is going.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Oh man, am I excited for this. I was debating doing this as my next LP to compare with Ash of Gods but you beat me to it.

Looking forward to how this plays out!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The decision not to link music wasn't an oversight, it's a deliberate choice. Nintendo was on the warpath issuing copyright strikes for people uploading the soundtrack to YouTube, and I don't trust any uploads of the soundtrack anywhere to stay up for as long as I'd like. Even uploading to a burner account would likely result in the uploads being taken down not long after.

I suppose I could upload to Clyp, but then the issue becomes "how do I know Nintendo won't get pissy about it there too."

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

vilkacis posted:

You assume correctly. Not having a durability score means you have no resource to feed your arts with. Still nice to not have to spend uses to punch people, though!

As for the subject of gauntlets on girls, i find gloves are so powerful it doesn't really matter if you get fistfaire or not. It doesn't show up until level 20+ anyway, and anyone who was doing well with them for the first 20 levels probably doesn't need the boost to horribly overkill most enemies. This will maybe change once higher difficulties drop, but for now, you can follow your dreams and punch everything! War master's mastery abilities are cool, but unless you grind for them, that's strictly endgame stuff if you get it at all, so it doesn't really play in.

This is cool to hear! When I eventually get the game, that’s probably what I’m going to do for the first run. Optimizing can always come later with the higher difficulties.

Now the question becomes whether if we’ll see this specifically in the LP or not. Guessing probably not, though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I tend to trend towards optimal strats, but given that we have four separate runs to do, and there'll inevitably be some units that show up multiple times, I'm not opposed to doing stuff that's less optimal but way cooler.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The decision not to link music wasn't an oversight, it's a deliberate choice. Nintendo was on the warpath issuing copyright strikes for people uploading the soundtrack to YouTube, and I don't trust any uploads of the soundtrack anywhere to stay up for as long as I'd like. Even uploading to a burner account would likely result in the uploads being taken down not long after.

I suppose I could upload to Clyp, but then the issue becomes "how do I know Nintendo won't get pissy about it there too."

It's awful but it also means people upload videos saying this isn't "Three Houses track 15" and use a video of a dancing bat in the background which is hilarious.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You could always upload the BGMs to lpix; it's what I did for my LPs. I'm pretty sure it's way too under the radar for Nintendo to sniff it out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cuntellectual posted:

Hero: As a series first as far as I know, male only.

It's.... complicated. There aren't any female Heroes in FE1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or Echoes. For 2 and Echoes, it's simply because there isn't the promoted merc class as we understand it, because they go to Demon Fighter. In 7 and 8, it's because all the swordswomen are Myrmidons who promote to Swordmaster. In 9 and 10, it's because you play as Ike of the Greil Mercenaries and the Mercenary class is basically absent.

In 1 and 3, the Mercenaries and Heroes are all men, and in 11 and 12, their remakes, Mercenary isn't part of the female reclass set, Myrmidon is.

Fire Emblem 4 has Creidne, Larcei's substitute, who promotes to Hero like the male swordfighters, but that class is just worse than Swordmaster for no good reason in that game. FE5 has Machyua, who starts as Myrmidon but promotes to Hero like the male Fighters instead of Swordmaster like Mareeta, the other female Myrmidon. FE6 has Echidna, a prepromote female Hero.

Awakening and Fates have anyone who can be in Fighter or Mercenary promote to Hero and that includes several women. What's weird for 3H is for it to decide Hero is male-only.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I'm loving the production values and your commentary. I'll be following this even though I'm 225 hours into my own playthroughs.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Is it wrong that I want to make my character the next Black Knight, so to speak? Probably wouldn't be that effective without Swordfaire, and he'd be slow as molasses due to being a Fortress Knight, but god dang would it be fun to shrug off hits and proceed to slice the idiot who thought it would be a good idea to approach you.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So basically Ike?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Probably already decided but I say name her Buné, to keep with the Ars Goetia theme. It's even appropriate! :v:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That's cool, I watched him stream a bunch of this.

He named his Byleth Claudia, and married Claude. :v:

Ragnar Homsar posted:

God that reminds me of when Rhea was first unveiled and the early reports romanized her name as "Rea." That would've been...strange.

(For those not in the know, I go by "Rea" on places other than SA.)

I decided to name my Byleth "Regan", like in King Lear.

I uh, did not know there were quite so many King Lear references in this game. :v:

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You can just post the track names if you know them offhand, so people can look them up.

Nondevor posted:

This is cool to hear! When I eventually get the game, that’s probably what I’m going to do for the first run. Optimizing can always come later with the higher difficulties.

Now the question becomes whether if we’ll see this specifically in the LP or not. Guessing probably not, though.

FWIW this is NOT a game that needs optimal strats. It's very, very easy, especially if you're familiar with the series.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's.... complicated. There aren't any female Heroes in FE1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or Echoes. For 2 and Echoes, it's simply because there isn't the promoted merc class as we understand it, because they go to Demon Fighter. In 7 and 8, it's because all the swordswomen are Myrmidons who promote to Swordmaster. In 9 and 10, it's because you play as Ike of the Greil Mercenaries and the Mercenary class is basically absent.

In 1 and 3, the Mercenaries and Heroes are all men, and in 11 and 12, their remakes, Mercenary isn't part of the female reclass set, Myrmidon is.

Fire Emblem 4 has Creidne, Larcei's substitute, who promotes to Hero like the male swordfighters, but that class is just worse than Swordmaster for no good reason in that game. FE5 has Machyua, who starts as Myrmidon but promotes to Hero like the male Fighters instead of Swordmaster like Mareeta, the other female Myrmidon. FE6 has Echidna, a prepromote female Hero.

Awakening and Fates have anyone who can be in Fighter or Mercenary promote to Hero and that includes several women. What's weird for 3H is for it to decide Hero is male-only.

I actually completely forgot that Marisa was a Myrmidon in Sacred Stones, not a Mercenary. I didn't count 2/echoes/9/10 because there are no "heroes" in the traditional Fire Emblem sense. :v:

1,3,7, 11 and 12, you got me though.

FoolyCharged posted:

Women also get the good mage infantry at end tier, but yeah gender locked classes suck.

Especially with the weirdness where it feels like they ran out of time on modeling or something, because there's a bunch of natural progressions that just... stop for each gender.

I definitely didnt try and make an axe woman only to find out at the end game that no, the game wouldn't let me finish through on that.

I 100% believe this, especially due to a few other oddities. Like two routes share a cutscene that doesn't quite make sense in one of the two it's used, or one character isn't recruitable on one route for... No particular reason other than possibly having a similar paralogue to another character??

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 7, 2019

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm loving this game. But it's far from challenging. I've said it elsewhere, but this is a Fire Emblem where nothing is broken because everything is.

Female brawlers lose out on 2 abilities, a combat art and free Fist Faire. In my 100+ hours I've yet to master a Master Class and hard mode is as easy as Awakening easy mode. You're not really missing anything by making a female brawler; certain arts and skills ranks make up for many of the missing pieces.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This is a slight exaggeration, but you should embrace the Thracia-Bern supremacy.

[pic removed for spoilers. it was a good point, though. -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 7, 2019

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I got so deep into the optimization hole on this one that my first run took me 100 hours. What an excellent game.

Also voting for Abby for this first run.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

golden bubble posted:

This is a slight exaggeration, but you should embrace the Thracia-Bern supremacy.

snipped

I hate that I can't exactly dispute this

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 7, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

golden bubble posted:

I mean, I could do that. But that wouldn't be very fun to play or watch. Also, please edit that image out. It contains Adan/Abby's post-timeskip appearance, which I asked you all to not post about or show.

Speaking of watching...

Update 1.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Before we continue on! There's an important round of voting that must be held.

So, we won't be introduced to it as a mechanic until after the next battle, but in Three Houses, you can recruit students from other houses besides your own into your house. Each student has their own strengths, weaknesses, and general usefulness in combat.

I have a chart of how I'll be handling recruitment for each of the runs. Each run will contain students who are already in the house, students I'll be recruiting, students I will not be recruiting, and students that the thread and my server can vote on recruiting or not recruiting. Half of these "free" students can be recruited, while the other half will be left unrecruited, determined by votes in the thread and the server. How fun!

With that in mind, let me list the units I'll be recruiting on this run:
  • Sylvain
  • Mercedes
  • Ingrid
  • Marianne
  • Catherine (Knight of Seiros, have not seen yet)
  • Cyril (semi-faculty, have not seen yet)
Lysithea will also always be recruited on every run. I allowed myself one global recruitment spot, and chose her for it.
The units I will not be recruiting this run:
  • Ashe
  • Raphael
  • Leonie
And the free units that you all will be voting on:
  • Felix
  • Annette
  • Lorenz
  • Ignatz
  • Hilda
  • Hanneman
  • Manuela
  • Alois
  • Shamir (Knight of Seiros, have not seen yet)
Each person in the thread is allowed three votes. You can only vote once for any given character, so no voting for, say, Felix three times.

I'm a bit unhappy with holding the vote so early, but unfortunately it will end up significantly shaping how I explore monastery free time, so I need to do it as soon as possible.