Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lysithea: and I get no pairings with any of them except Byleth why?

I like that Lorenz's ending with her results in her having a normal human lifespan despite not curing her Crests. She doesn't live in good health, but Lorenz makes the remarkably insightful point that Lysithea isn't taking care of herself because she took the Agarthans at their word that she was going to die young. Lorenz says gently caress that, gently caress them. If Lysithea stops gorging on sweets and not exercising, and starts eating healthy and taking care of her body, who's to say she's sure to die young? The best revenge is living well, and to hell with whatever those Agarthans thought would happen.

And if you pair them, he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leeroh_Zenon
Mar 31, 2016
I really don't mean to be this way, but isn't the point of three houses that there isn't a golden path? That all the different routes have their own positives and negatives, that represent different aspects of the conflict? There's no absolutely good or absolutely bad path, it's all a stew of greys that's basically guaranteed to make you uncomfortable at some point. I just... I really don't understand the crazy amount of absolutism that gets applied to this game.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Leeroh_Zenon posted:

I really don't mean to be this way, but isn't the point of three houses that there isn't a golden path? That all the different routes have their own positives and negatives, that represent different aspects of the conflict? There's no absolutely good or absolutely bad path, it's all a stew of greys that's basically guaranteed to make you uncomfortable at some point. I just... I really don't understand the crazy amount of absolutism that gets applied to this game.

Originally the game was just Silver Snow, who knows how that would've worked. Grey may have been the intent at some point for the multiple routes but pretty much every one ends with rainbows and sunshine and everyone loving each other for no reason when there should be an immense amount of bad blood, which feels like cowardice on the writer's part. Afraid to step on the player's power fantasy or say anything interesting. Personally I just think they botched a lot of execution that makes certain sides seem extremely silly and causes a lot of straw grasping.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Leeroh_Zenon posted:

From my perspective, it's because we have this muddied perspective that you get into camps like this. People are going to have opinions on what the better ending looks like, who the better characters are etc and are going to want to discuss them. And because of the muddied text of the game, disagreements around what the literal and implied text means results in views that differ vastly. This is to the extent that I'm told that I'm deranged for stuff that I think is in the explicit text of the game.

I hate AM. I played it through as my last route on Maddening and it's only because I fundamentally love Maddening as a difficulty and because I wanted a cool bonus you get for doing New Game maddening that I powered through it. I despise it because I think Dimitri is fundamentally unfit to be a protagonist at the point that he threatens to torture someone to death and I hate how the entire cast kowtows to this to the point that Aiden murders a captured prisoner.

I think the portrayal, especially of Dedue and Duscur is racist at an incredibly basic level from everything I've seen in this game and it makes me genuinely angry to think about, especially given how well Claude is portrayed in contrast.

All of this is true to me and yet we've seen other people argue in this thread that threatening torture is okay given the society that the characters live in. And I don't think people see the same issues of race in this game that I see around Dedue and Duscur.

Things that are fundamentally abhorrent to me do not impact other people in the same way. In the same way we'll see when we get to CF that there are aspects of Edelgard and her story that I think are fine that I'm sure others will state are abhorrent to them.

And given that level of difference in opinion, is it really that surprising that people will be so vehement in their defense?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 20, 2021

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Perfect Potato posted:

but pretty much every one ends with rainbows and sunshine and everyone loving each other for no reason

three of the routes end with the theocracy being upheld and the only uplifting part being "we'll do better because dude, just trust me" and while we haven't seen cf yet it has its own share of. things.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Perfect Potato posted:

Originally the game was just Silver Snow, who knows how that would've worked. Grey may have been the intent at some point for the multiple routes but pretty much every one ends with rainbows and sunshine and everyone loving each other for no reason when there should be an immense amount of bad blood, which feels like cowardice on the writer's part. Afraid to step on the player's power fantasy or say anything interesting. Personally I just think they botched a lot of execution that makes certain sides seem extremely silly and causes a lot of straw grasping.

So, you've been told by OP to can it with this kind of post but have chosen to continue less than an hour later. This isn't great!

Speaking with the mod hat on now: Stop with this reductive nonsense. Feel free to post about the game's handling, or mishandling, of conflicts and issues without this mocking tone, but if you can't manage that, then just don't post.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I like that Lorenz's ending with her results in her having a normal human lifespan despite not curing her Crests. She doesn't live in good health, but Lorenz makes the remarkably insightful point that Lysithea isn't taking care of herself because she took the Agarthans at their word that she was going to die young. Lorenz says gently caress that, gently caress them. If Lysithea stops gorging on sweets and not exercising, and starts eating healthy and taking care of her body, who's to say she's sure to die young? The best revenge is living well, and to hell with whatever those Agarthans thought would happen.

And if you pair them, he's right.

I haven't seen that one, that's a great down-to-earth, humble little ending

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I posted a bit about how there really isn't any input from the common subsistence farmer (I should not have used the "no stakes" terminology and got dunked on by people pointing out that there were a lot of things going on like banditry on the rise) but another thing the game doesn't really address is any sort of politics and power consolidation. Dmitri's support base is people like Gilbert who basically lead him around by the nose and tell him the people love him, but there's very little in the way of uniting the kingdom nobles because they all kind of just fall behind the bloodline king and don't try to squeeze out more privileges. Claude can just whistle up Almyran military units - sure, he's a prince, but he's a prince currently studying in a foreign country who as far as I can tell doesn't have anything to offer the Almyran military besides his services as a physical fighter. Edelgard is written as the most politically savvy of the three, but aside from her conflict with the Agarthans (who seem willing to fight to the death for no reason except hatred) we don't actually see a lot of maneuvering for her to gain control of the army, and the actual commanders we run into are heroic figures like Caspar's uncle who martyr themselves to save their men. A lot of people point out that there are various Dmitri endings where he sets up a parliament for the commons, but it's hard for me to reconcile that with the kingdom being run as it is with all of the armies being provided by the nobility with no possibility for advancement. There's really no reason for any of the entrenched nobles to tolerate this abrogation of their privileges, at all. At best you get something like Charlemagne, where the king roams the land telling the counts they have to respect the rights of the peasants and the counts smile and nod and then when the king is gone go right back to beating peasants.

So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance over the brutal war game where Edelgard is literally crying and asking you to martyr her and then you get the fairy tale ending where, say, Claude disappeared forever but the characters fixed all the problems and the fate of the nobility that caused most of these problems like banditry, famine, and other nonsense is left unresolved despite these people probably being unfortunately necessary to the winning coalition. The closest you can come is with Edelgard letting non nobles into positions formerly held by nobles she can count on a fair bit of support from them - but she also has to give them their privileges, which will probably upset the dream of egalitarianism a fair deal. Remember, the church infrastructure is left in place on Verdant Wind and Azure Moon, so this is not like Soviet Russia where they took all the nobles and royals and shot or exiled them, ultimately these guys are still working in some variant of the same system that the game explicitly tells us is breaking down. People are rebelling and it's serious enough they have to send cadets in to put it down. Bandits are everywhere and the Kingdom is ridden with famine. The nobility is corrupt and mostly exists to retain its own power, and even the church has breakaway sects launching armed revolts, but the endings we're given are that the system that caused all of this mess just needed some minor reforms and that future feudalism and slightly less theocracy made all the bandits quit robbing and go get real jobs.

I can't really blame people for having strong opinions over the endings, because they all require a lot of mind caulk to make work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captainicus posted:

I haven't seen that one, that's a great down-to-earth, humble little ending

Their final support is also one of the very few times you'll hear Lorenz get genuinely angry at someone. Lysithea finally explains the deal with her Crests and expected lifespan, and Lorenz gets downright furious with her for giving in to mindless gluttony and hedonism because she's given up on her life. Say what you will about Lorenz, but the guy sincerely believes that everyone has inherent worth and dignity, and seeing someone with so much to offer the world partying like there's no tomorrow, because some asshat with a spooky voice told her there wouldn't be a tomorrow, instead of trying to proving that asshat wrong genuinely upsets him.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 117.
(SSLP Test Poster version here.)

Don't get too excited, this is mostly fast forwarding through a bunch of level ups and battles, as I do stream-of-consciousness rambling. There's a few supports in here, though!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Imagine how short this update would be without any level up noting. I get that it's what the masses want to see, but holy hell

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hanneman and Hubert are both good eggs.

Very different eggs, and I am not a fan of their shared support, but good eggs nonetheless.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Hubert trying to help out Bernie is cute.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hubert has some kindness in him - Playing CF as your first route really leaves you with a different impression of him.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I somehow missed ever getting the Hubert/Hanneman supports. I knew Hubert and his dad's relationship was piss poor by game start, but I wasn't expecting him to be so open about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hey, everyone. Just wanted to leave a quick note so people aren't left in the dark.

I came to the realization yesterday that I've burned out on doing LPs after six years of heavily data-oriented LPs, all of which before Three Houses required lots of writing, too. I wasn't having fun any more.

So, I decided to stop. I don't know if I'll ever finish this. Sorry.