Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Awakening's story and setting are bad in the sense that most of it is just performative wallpaper, window dressing basically, made to gussy up the interlude between each rote classic FE chapter, scenario, and 1 dimensional character archetype that the devs wheel out. I doubt even they particularly cared about making anyone feel anything for like Virion's home country or the Samurai lady plot or how egregiously the game switches tracks between Plegia and Walmart and how often the vn time travel plot gets relegated to the background. Fates is a bad story told incompetently in a generic world but through sheer exhaustive 60+ chapter detail so through pure blunt trauma I eventually got the sense that there was some genuine earnest feelings in the terrible story that they came up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
On the one hand you have someone feeling sad about killing the foxes that were trying to murder them and on the other hand you have "hey brah your plan to immoladrown the entire enemy fleet worked perfectly! The threads of fate that bind our friendship are like totally unbreakable dude! High five broseph!!! *Chrom and Robin chest bump over the screams of tens of thousands of conscripted Valm soldiers*"

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CmdrKing posted:

- The peasantry are forbidden to be taught literacy because the Church deemed it wasteful

When is this stated?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The added after the fact DLC books are in the church's garbage bin and probably don't correlate 1:1 to modern Fodlan, given the thousand years of history. Plus the game is terrified to even comment one way or the other on their legitimacy given Lindhart's comments

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I particularly like the book that has church agents centuries ago refer to those who slither in the dark when that is literally a term Hubert made up

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Dimitri's beliefs are not complicated, he doesn't want normal, ordinary people being killed over petty noble bullshit and he believes in the intrinsic good of humanity. If he wasn't bugfuck crazy and unga strong from his crest he'd probably be the worst wartime king imaginable but a great one otherwise

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 19, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

He seems to believe that nobody in Fodlan was calling for change at the scale Edelgard is imposing, without understanding that the church has engineered society such that the masses lack the tools to properly identify and combat the ills in society

The Empire splitting into 3 distinct countries with vastly different cultures was also part of their long term con to strengthen their iron grip too I'm sure

The sheeple just don't know that they're suffering, luckily my yass slay queen is there to set them straight

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 19, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

ungulateman posted:

aren't there in-game documents explicitly stating that the church supported faerghus splitting away from the adrestian empire lmao

No, they mediated the peace after the fact. They did not arm Loog or support him in any way. The trashy DLC library has a report with Hubert's Slither euphemism on it that says something else too, though if anything's fake in there it's probably that one

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The AM bromances pretty much wipe out half the noble lines every time I try to match make, there's your revolution

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

This seems like a really obviously bad take. Let's just assume that the DLC books don't exist.

We know that under the Crest system as encouraged by the church, entire families of children are tortured to death in crest experiments to take advantage of the situation. (Lysithea)

*literal evil molemen who are responsible for crests existing as a concept continue their insidious experiments*

This is the church's fault!!!!! lmao

-church teachings state that nobles abused their power and caused the goddess to leave
-they literally have Hanneman on their payroll
-crest blood has become heavily diluted and even minor crests tend to skip generations, major crests are insanely rare
-many noble houses particularly in the Alliance and Empire have no explicitly stated crest heritage

Here, facts based on the actual game in bulletpoint that are not based on mismemory and deranged headcanon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Leeroh_Zenon posted:

I really don't mean to be this way, but isn't the point of three houses that there isn't a golden path? That all the different routes have their own positives and negatives, that represent different aspects of the conflict? There's no absolutely good or absolutely bad path, it's all a stew of greys that's basically guaranteed to make you uncomfortable at some point. I just... I really don't understand the crazy amount of absolutism that gets applied to this game.

Originally the game was just Silver Snow, who knows how that would've worked. Grey may have been the intent at some point for the multiple routes but pretty much every one ends with rainbows and sunshine and everyone loving each other for no reason when there should be an immense amount of bad blood, which feels like cowardice on the writer's part. Afraid to step on the player's power fantasy or say anything interesting. Personally I just think they botched a lot of execution that makes certain sides seem extremely silly and causes a lot of straw grasping.