Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

This is a really good thread! I am going to read every single post to try to tap into the zeitgeist. Until then, here are my top 10.

1. Chris Jericho
I've been following his career and life since I was a teen, and he's almost never disappointed me. Considering how many of my all-time favorites have died or retired early, and Dr. J is still here is a testament to his incredible ability to adapt.

2. Zack Sabre Jr.
I'll admit, I wasn't too into him for most of his career. Once he joined Suzuki Gun and leaned into being a massive dickhead, I was completely on board. He's probably the best technical wrestler ever, and letting that ego shine while putting a little hurt on has totally won me over.

3. El Phantasmo
This is partially because he's from Vancouver, partially because he doesn't seem capable of having bad matches, and largely because he flips off babies.

4. Maki Itoh
Outside of her amazing twitter game, I get a pure sense of joy from watching her grow from getting beaten up on the regular and then getting angry about it. I think Maki and Hiromu are perfect examples on how you can connect with an audience that doesn't speak your language.

5. Orange Cassidy
His gimmick is pretty high level for pro wrestling, but despite that he has an amazing ability to connect with his audience, and anyone who can do a billion high spots while their hands are in their pants has to be god-tier on wrestling skills.

6. Brody King
Woke Flippy Giant. What's not to love?

7. Miyu Yamashita
The Tanahashi of Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. I love watching her effortlessly wreck fools, even though there's a few moments here and there were you can see she can't really cover up botches. And I seriously need an MP3 of here theme music.

8. Xavier Woods
I'm not totally ranking him on his wrestling ability alone. He's not bad, but why I love him is more because of his gaming channels and his talent for yelling the most entertaining things during matches. I still think about him talking up Big E's tricep meat.

9. Tony Baroni
Local big fish in a small pond! I'm somewhat proud that BC has had ECCW as a local promotion for god knows how long, and I have an inherent love for sleazy jerks. Enter the man who calls himself Uncle Daddy. His entire gimmick is being an amoral scumbag. As an example, he had a feud with Cat Power for the ECCW women's championship. He goaded Power into this by going full-on misogynist. Later on, with one of the strippers he had accompany him to the ring, he admitted he's a feminist and was just being a dick to get Cat to put up her belt. A more recent promo example (He's the bald guy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omhwTh0tC4U

10. Kenny Omega
Much like Orange Cassidy, I see him as more of a post-modern wrestler. He's considered the best on the planet by many because of what art he can do in his chosen landscape. I don't feel the same kind of childlike joy with Omega as I do everyone else on the list, but I always get emotionally invested when he wrestles.

ALTERNATE NUMBER 3 IF HIS VERTEBRAE LET HIM FIGHT IN SEPTEMBER
3. Hiromu Takahashi
I'm including him on the active list because I still have hope. It's amazing how someone without a ton of English skills is able to connect with pretty much the entire western world. He's a priceless treasure and I only hope he treats his spinal cord with the same reverence that I give to him.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Jerusalem posted:

Unless he makes a return before the end of September (:pray:) I won't count him, so I'd be simply shunting everybody else on your list up and giving them the appropriate points. Would you like to add an "11th" spot I can count as your 10th or just leave it as is and hope for some beautiful shock to prove your faith right? Either way is fine. :)

I want your thread to have a good time within its confines, so I've adjusted my list accordingly.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Defiance Industries posted:

Any time this guy does a show for 3-2-1 Battle in Seattle it's a required trip up for me.

:hf:

I was actually a little surprised when I found out how many BC indy folks wrestle in Washington. Nicole Matthews, sure, she's been everywhere. But Randy Myers? Really?

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I said this was a great thread idea when I first posted, and I stand by that. J-ru, you just mathematically solved the art of getting over. Now we just wait for the moment someone takes advantage of all this free data.