Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:siren: SUBMISSIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED, RESULTS AT THIS LINK :siren:

12 years ago (!) I made a thread in which Rowdy Ringsports (then called Wrestlehut 2000) chose their top ten favorite wrestlers of all time. I thought it might be fun to do a similar thread again, but as we are on the cusp of what looks like it could be another wrestling war I thought this time we'd stick with active wrestlers. While it would be neat to see how a current all-time Top Ten compared to 12 years ago, I think there is more value in seeing how the forum as a whole considers the current wrestling scene ahead of an explosion of wrestling content on television.

So I figured, why not take the opportunity to have everybody write up a top ten list of their current favorites, assign points for places and then find out who we as a forum truly loves the most.

So here is how it is going to work - think about all the wrestlers currently working in major promotions, the indies, in Japan and Britain and Australia and anywhere else in the world. Write up who you are your current favorites, rank them from one to ten and then post them here in the thread. Feel free to go into as much or as little detail as you want as to why you've chosen who you've chosen, or to argue the case for any one (or more) particular wrestler you want to.

I'll accept lists posted up till midnight EST on the 30th of September, just ahead of the debut of AEW's television show. Points will be assigned to each of the selected wrestlers and we'll see how each wrestler ranks - who the forum's overall favorite is and how other wrestlers rank beside them. Points will work based on individual rankings, with 10 points for a 1st place rank and 1 point for a 10th place rank. So for example:

Poster A posted:

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Adam Cole
4. Chris Jericho
5. BRAUN!
6. PCO
7. Cody
8. Becky Lynch
9. Toru Yano
10. Momo Watanabe

Poster B posted:

1. PCO
2. Chris Jericho
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Momo Watanabe
5. Kauchika Okada
6. Becky Lynch
7. Adam Cole
8. BRAUN!
9. Toru Yano
10. Cody

Would result in:

Daniel Bryan = 18
Chris Jericho = 16
Kazuchika Okada = 15
PCO = 15
Adam Cole = 12
BRAUN! = 9
Becky Lynch = 8
Momo Watanabe = 8
Cody = 5
Toru Yano = 4

Since for the sake of my sanity I'll be doing a running tally of points, all votes as made are final - so no editing your post after the fact or posting 27 posts later,"Change my vote for Kagetsu to a vote for Yuka Sakazaki!" - think VERY CAREFULLY before making your selection! Also, please consider:

- You can enter a tag team on your list if you want, but I'll count them as two entries in alphabetical order which may drop others off your list.
- If you don't rank your list, I'll assume whoever is at the top is #1 and whoever is at the bottom is at #10.
- You must choose an ACTIVE wrestler. That means they have had at least one match in the last year AND they have not retired. So for example, Jushin Liger would still be considered active but at the moment Hiromu Takahashi is not.
- In the event that a wrestlers' points total equals that of another, they'll be listed in alphabetical order.
- Do NOT denigrate the choices of anybody else, these lists are subjective and will provide a generalized consensus but not a definitive one.
- You can note any honorable mentions as well, if you are really struggling to remove people from your top choices. They won't count for points, but if you truly feel deep within your heart that Big Daddy Yum Yum needs some kind of recognition, he'll get it from your post.

And now, to kick things off - my "top ten"

1. Kazuchika Okada - I'm only half joking when I call Okada a living God. He's essentially perfect. He's got the look, the talent, the charisma, the poise, the sense of timing and body language etc to be the top star and carry a promotion and he's only 31. At such a young age you'd be forgiven for fearing early burnout or an inability to sustain, but Okada has already been carrying New Japan as its top star for over half a decade! He is essentially flawless, as close to the ideal professional wrestler as it is possible to get.
2. Daniel Bryan - We thought his career was over, but he came back and the world rejoiced... and he promptly got stuck in a feud with Big Cass. But Daniel Bryan is the master of figuring out how to spin gold from straw, and he did the seemingly impossible when he successfully managed to turn heel and become a deranged eco-warrior rubbing everybody's nose in the fact he was better than them. Every week he is a highlight of WWE shows no matter how little he might appear, helped in part by the fact he knows WWE fears his departure more than they desire bringing him into line.
3. Chris Jericho - The master of reinvention, every single time Jericho seems like he might be getting a little past it or his gimmicks might be wearing thin, he manages to relight the fire and once again firmly entrench himself into high profile positions, not just in WWE but in New Japan and now AEW as he has become their first ever Champion and turned the theft (or loss) of his belt into a wildly entertaining saga generating merch sales, mainstream interest and the delight of fans.
4. Tomohiro Ishii - This fire hydrant of a man consistently has the best and most exciting matches no matter who is opponents are. His sense of timing is exquisite, he always knows just when to sell (and more importantly, when NOT to) and just when you think you've figured out the basic structure of his matches he makes you realize that he's tricked you into biting on every single false finish he delivers.
5. Minoru Suzuki - He's over 50 years old but he moves with the speed of a 30-year-old, it's insane. An angry, hateful character but apparently a tremendous human being, Suzuki continually surprises with the quality of his matches and his wonderful character work as the man with the worst personality in the world. Plus he has one of the best theme songs of all time.
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi - GO ACE!
7. Jon Moxley - I liked him as Dean Ambrose, but I absolutely LOVE him as Jon Moxley. Since his departure from WWE, Moxley has lit up the wrestling world with his revitalized character, great matches, hilarious but also serious promos, and the wonderful, seemingly spur-of-the-moment decision to kidnap/mentor up and coming young Japanese wrestler Shota Umino. His feud with Kenny Omega, his stalking of Juice Robinson, his breakdown after his defeat by Toru Yano etc. He has been one of the best things about wrestling in 2019.
8. Kota Ibushi - As stupid as he is beautiful (and he is very beautiful), Ibushi is a prodigy who seemingly could only exist and thrive in a bizarre industry like professional wrestling. A genius of wrestling, a master at evoking emotional responses, and his ability to produce spectacular match after spectacular match is only matched by a troubling lack of regard for his own well-being.
9. Juice Robinson - Living proof that WWE's development system is lacking something, Juice went from the utterly unremarkable CJ Parker in NXT to the beloved midcard (and sometimes higher) sensation Juice Robinson in New Japan. He has developed a character, improved as a wrestler, become an incredible promo and dived headfirst into Japanese culture to show his appreciation for the belief they showed in him. Juice rules.
10. Samoa Joe - After years slumming it as a big fish in the small pond of TNA/Impact, Joe came to NXT and then finally the WWE main roster. There he has shown a remarkable ability to take even the shittiest angle or stupidest pre-written promo and make it believable or entertaining. He's so good at retaining his badass aura that he's eaten loss after loss after loss in close to every feud he has been in and.... it doesn't matter, he still comes across like a giant badass. It's almost unbelievable, but here he is, doing it!

The long and short of it:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Daniel Bryan
3. Chris Jericho
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Minoru Suzuki
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi
7. Jon Moxley
8. Kota Ibushi
9. Juice Robinson
10. Samoa Joe

So that's my top ten as at this present time. I'm sure it will change over time, but for now it is a relatively accurate representation of who I generally enjoy the most. As you can see, I have a heavy New Japan bias with a bit of WWE and AEW sneaking in. There were more wrestlers who I considered of course - such as Toru Yano, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Adam Cole, AJ Styles, Becky Lynch etc, but I'm sure all of them (and more) will see consideration when you post your lists. I'll be very interested to see who comes out on top.

Edit: ADDITIONAL FUN!

El Generico repurposed a game comparison script and grabbed the top 128 wrestlers listed to date (20 September) so you can run through and see if selecting a series of match-offs ends up ranking a list close to your original.

El Generico posted:

Alright, here's the Adversarial/Tournament System for Determining your Favourite Wrestlers script: https://serene-noyce-4b38c8.netlify.com

If you do this and post your results, make it clear that it's not your official answer to the poll, so Jerusalem doesn't accidentally count you double. I meant for mine to be my real answer to the poll, I think it's accurate to my real feelings, but you obviously don't have to.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Final Rankings:

#63 - #51
#50 - #41
#40 - #31
#30 - #21
#20 - #15
#14 - #11
#10 - #6

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 3, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some statistics/lists/minor analysis here and here

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 13, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Swoon posted:

3. Hiromu Takahashi
I'm including him on the active list because I still have hope. It's amazing how someone without a ton of English skills is able to connect with pretty much the entire western world. He's a priceless treasure and I only hope he treats his spinal cord with the same reverence that I give to him.

Unless he makes a return before the end of September (:pray:) I won't count him, so I'd be simply shunting everybody else on your list up and giving them the appropriate points. Would you like to add an "11th" spot I can count as your 10th or just leave it as is and hope for some beautiful shock to prove your faith right? Either way is fine. :)

Mr. Swoon posted:

and Dr. J is still here is a testament to his incredible ability to adapt.

Just the fact people have started using "Dr. J" is another example of just how incredible he is at getting stuff over, it's amazing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Swoon posted:

I want your thread to have a good time within its confines, so I've adjusted my list accordingly.

Thanks buddy, and I too hold out hope for Hiromu, who would be high on my list if he was active for sure :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Punch McLightning posted:

How are we handling tag teams/trios? Just listing them separately?

Jerusalem posted:

- You can enter a tag team on your list if you want, but I'll count them as two entries in alphabetical order which may drop others off your list.

Last time I did this I didn't consider people would put in tag teams, and when they did I listed them as a unit which was a mistake, as it diluted the potential voting amounts for particular wrestlers. This time around if somebody listed The Lucha Brothers as their #1 pick for instance, I'd count Fenix as their Number 1, Pentagon as their #2 and whoever their #10 was would drop off the list. It's the fairest way I can think to do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

This is a rad thread and also unbelievably hard thing to do.

It killed me to not include Pentagon on my list, I think I wrote up something like 16 potential people to put into my top ten and culling some of them was really drat tough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

what happen if someone becomes decidedly inactive during this? do not alter my list

If they were active at any point from when the contest started to when it ends, they're a valid addition to the list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have added up all points through to super macho dude's post, so any changes or edits made to any posts before that will have no affect on the results tallied to this point.

A few neat little things from the first day:
  • There are 94 individual wrestlers listed so far.
  • Only one wrestler has broken 100 points, but they do NOT have the most #1 picks.
  • The wrestler with the most #1 picks so far is currently in 2nd place.
  • Daniel Bryan and Chris Jericho have been constantly switching places as the voting has progressed.
  • 7 of the current Top 10 are from New Japan, 2 are from AEW, 1 is from WWE.
  • Nobody has given the top spot vote to Kenny, Kota, Moxley, Pentagon, PAC, SANADA, Shingo or Jay White but they've all made it into top 20 regardless. Four of them are in the top 10!
  • The highest points for the least amount of votes goes to Taichi and Chuck Taylor respectively. Despite only receiving two votes, Taichi in the Top 20!
  • Using the alphabet as a secondary sorter, the lowest ranked person on the list so far is YOSHI-HASHI. Before you laugh, remember he is the least favorite of Rowdy Ringsports' FAVORITE pro-wrestlers.
  • NOT ASUKA has more points than Asuka.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even though he appears to still be classified as retired he's had three matches this year including one only a month ago so I'm gonna count Necro as still active for the purposes of this thread.

RealFoxy posted:

If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend looking up her "Light Tube Death Match" with Akito in DDT Pro

This match was incredible and I also highly recommend people watch it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've updated the standings through to Low Desert Punk's list. There are now 128 individual wrestlers listed, and the "least favorite" of our favorites taking alphabetical order into account is no longer YOSHI-HASHI but Utami Hayashishita!

Defiance Industries posted:

5. Chris Jericho - An all-time great who can get anything over, no matter how dumb. He's got a Bowie-like talent for reinventing himself and I respect the hell out of that. Also I think he's the last of the WCW wrestlers to be an active wrestler for a major company?

I guess technically you could say that Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles are too but I don't know if they really count.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

super macho dude posted:

Would love to see everyone's Top 10 all time list.

Would be interesting to see if Ric Flair would still win that. I do think it's neat that Chris Jericho made the top ten of that list 12 years ago and Daniel Bryan was in 15th place, and today they're still ranking very near the top of the CURRENT favorite wrestlers list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated through to Kevino07's list.

A few notable things:

- There are now 145 individual wrestlers listed.
- 2 wrestlers in the top 10 have not received any #1 picks
- 8 wrestlers in the top 20 have not received any #1 picks
- As has been the case through the entire thread so far, the current #1 wrestler does not have the most #1 picks
- The takeaway from the above three is that a wrestler's ranking is heavily influenced by the weight of their position on your Top 10 lists.
- The #2 spot is currently tied between two wrestlers with a third extremely close to their points total.
- 9 of the wrestlers in the top 10 are from New Japan, 2 are from AEW and 1 is from WWE. 2 of the New Japan wrestlers are also signed with AEW.
- The top female wrestler so far is currently ranked at #21, though only due to draws in the top 20 being sorted alphabetically. In terms of points alone, she would be ranked 19th equal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

it's sort of interesting that Gargano has only been on two lists. i feel like having the Ciampa/Gargano feud drag out for so long might have cooled him off a lot more than I realized. if it was this time last year, I think he would be a good bit higher in the rankings.

Gargano really suffered from his call-up to the main roster clashing so obviously with the year-long storyline that had been going on in NXT, compounded by Ciampa's injury derailing it entirely. The feud with Cole was cool but also went on a little too long, and while I still think Johnny is great, his no-man-land status between obviously being done with NXT but not really having anything waiting for him on the main roster has hurt him a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nick Gage has only been put onto 5 lists but has ranked extremely high on three of them, which has put him right up on the edge of the Top 20. Maki Itoh is our top ranked female wrestler so far and has only appeared on four lists, but ranked high enough that she's right there with Nick Gage.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 10, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Luke Harper is still an active wrestler, he's wrestled this year and his current absence is purely down to WWE being dicks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

10 Shota Umino - Tell em Shooter

Shota Umino posted:

:stare:

Jon Moxley. Is going to win. Favorite Active Wrestler. :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Points have been calculated through to Lead Pipe Cinch's list

Notable things:

- 1st place's spot, seemingly unassailable at one point, is slowly being clawed back.
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th place have become a logjam with the wrestlers involved frequently switching places.
- The first wrestler to be ranked at every single spot on a Top 10 list is Jon Moxley after the latest roundup of points. Zack Sabre Jr, Pentagon Jr and Chris Jericho are all one spot away.
- Two surprisingly late new additions to the overall list are Rey Mysterio and Sasha Banks.
- Asuka has slipped by Maki Itoh to become the new favorite female wrestler so far, though she is still outside of the top 20.
- 157 individual wrestlers have appeared in the lists so far.
- Utami Hayashishita remains the least favorite favorite (but still a favorite!) thanks to alphabetical sorting.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 13, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving A, 2019 wrestling is absurdly talented.

Seriously, it's loving crazy and we are blessed to have such an enormous amount of talent regularly putting together some of the best matches in history on a fairly regular basis, helped hugely by the ease of access we now have to so many promotions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Notes from the latest count (through to remusclaw):

- Pentagon Jr has joined Jon Moxley as the only wrestlers to get voted into every single spot on a Top Ten at least once.
- Daniel Bryan joins Zack Sabre Jr as only one spot away from having every spot filled on the Top Ten at least once.
- The top four wrestlers have steadily pulled away from the next six in the top 10. #2 remains close enough to #1 to be a real threat, with #3 and #4 not far off.
- Maki Itoh has just managed to edge into the Top 20 after retaking her spot as the top female favorite on the list. Aja Kong has really pushed up to take 2nd-equal spot with Asuka as top female.
- Maki Itoh also has the highest amount of points with the least amount of individual votes
- 167 individual wrestlers have now made the list.
- Seth Rollins and Shinsuke Nakamura are surprisingly late additions to the list.
- Thomas Santell is now alphabetically the least favorite favorite on the list, after Utami Hayashishita rose up in points.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A bump to catch us up to chirico cuvie's list, as well as keep us on the front page.

Things of note:

- Utami Hayashishita, who for much of the poll was in last place as least favorite favorite.... is now in the Top 60!
- There are now 171 individual wrestlers on the list.
- Thomas Santell remains the least favorite favorite.
- While the top 4 remain largely in the vanguard, spots 5-10 are frequently changing with even the most minor addition of points.
- 12 wrestlers are over the 100 points mark, with a 13th right on the cusp. The top four all have over 200 points.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Generico posted:

Well, I took a look at the code, and sure enough, it was pretty simple to replace the games in there with all the names of the wrestlers that I think might make my top 10. I tested it and it worked for me (although you'd be galled by who's missing in mine). So if anyone else is interested in doing that, I could make up a version with all of the names listed in this thread.

That sounds really interesting and would be a neat thing to see, especially for those who have already written up lists to see if this system would generate the same list for them when they're not actively ranking the wrestlers themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In addition to the above (thanks El Generico, it's cool as hell!) I've also updated through to mary had a little clam.

- There are now 173 individual wrestlers on the list.
- I am a dumb idiot who counted two Hazuki picks as separate entries, which El Generico picked up on and made me aware of.
- Shockingly late additions to the list are Bayley and EVIL (!)
- Number 1 is edging closer to the 300 point mark. #2 has fallen back slightly but remains within reach of the top spot, while #3 and #4 are constantly flipping places.
- Only 18 points separates #5 from #10
- Chuck Taylor has accidentally buttressed the patriarchy by knocking Maki Itoh out of the Top 20 thanks to alphabetical listing.
- 75 Goons have posted lists so far. remusclaw was the 69th.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

I will remove this if it's confusing to the point of the thread.

The way you framed it makes perfect sense and I hope others follow suit, thank you.

Cavauro posted:

Surprised I love Naito more than I think, but that's kind of his thing

:hai:

No votes to count in this post

Jerusalem posted:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Daniel Bryan
3. Chris Jericho
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Minoru Suzuki
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi
7. Jon Moxley
8. Kota Ibushi
9. Juice Robinson
10. Samoa Joe

Original post above vs Script below

quote:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Tomohiro Ishii
3, Kota Ibushi
4. Daniel Bryan
5. Chris Jericho
6. Tetsuya Naito
7. Jon Moxley
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi
9. Kenny Omega
10. Minoru Suzuki

It seems I rate Ishii and Ibushi higher than I thought. Naito and Omega didn't make my original list while Samoa Joe and Juice Robinson disappear entirely (they're actually down around 20 and 22 on the full list, which really surprises me.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping and updating through to Jaragoh, with a reminder that you have till the 30th of September to get your list in, so basically just under a week left.

Things of note:

- There are now 174 wrestlers on the list, with 79 goons having put in their favorites.
- The #1 spot has passed the 300 mark, but #2 is not far behind. #3 & #4 are in the mid 200s, with the rest of the top 10 all in the mid-high 100s.
- There are 39 women wrestlers on the list.
- The latest shockingly late addition to the list is Jushin Liger (what the hell he wasn't on before this? :stare:).
- Speaking of which, the oldest wrestler on the list is Jushin Liger at 54.
- The youngest wrestler on the list is Mikoto Shindo at 18.
- That said, there were a handful of wrestlers I couldn't find ages for. If anybody can help with Alex Kellar, Jimmy Lloyd, Kris Statlander, Lulupencil, Misao, Nyla Rose, Session Moth Martina, The Butcher Andy Williams, Toni Baroni, Tony Deppen, Viktor Tykki and Yuka Sakazaki it would be a big help.
- Finally, muscle memory made me put down the wrong Hashimoto, meaning the list contained a dead wrestler for awhile :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 24, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

she's a full time games writer with wrestling being a side thing

I figure that still counts as an active wrestler personally v:shobon:v

Sticky Nate posted:

Jimmy Lloyd just turned 21

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That sounds neat, it would be pretty cool to compare world champions throughout time against each other like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Currently updated through to BodyMassageMachine

- There are now 176 wrestlers on the list, with submissions by 83 goons
- #1's lead is starting to increase, though #2 remains within reach of them
- Daniel Bryan has joined Jon Moxley and Pentagon Jr as wrestlers who have been listed on every spot of a Top Ten so far, with Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega still one away from that
- Asuka has retaken her spot as Rowdy Ringsports' favorite female pro-wrestler thanks to the alphabet putting her above Maki Itoh despite having the same points.
- I still need ages for Josh Briggs, Kris Statlander, Lulupencil, Misao, Nyla Rose, The Butcher Andy Williams, Tony Baroni, Tony Deppen, Yuka Sakazaki and now Gentlemen Jervis as well if possible.
- :siren: I'LL STOP COUNTING SUBMISSIONS AT MIDNIGHT EST ON SEPTEMBER 30TH! :siren:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, kind of a weird website I agree but I haven't seen anything else that offers an age so I'll take this as accurate unless I hear otherwise.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank you, I'm actually surprised he is that "young".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God they had such a good thing with Finn and they blew it.

I mean, they had such a good thing with <x> and they blew it, but loving up Finn is particularly galling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated through to Netsky

- #1 and #2 sit on over 300 points each
- Kenny Omega, Kota Ibushi, Will Ospreay & Zack Sabre Jr join Daniel Bryan, Jon Moxley & Pentagon Jr as wrestlers who have been picked at least once in every spot on a list. Chris Jericho, Cody, Shingo Takagi, & Tetsuya Naito are now all one away from doing so.
- There are now 197 individual wrestlers on lists provided by 105 goons. 154 are male wrestlers, 43 are female wrestlers.
- Bandido, Charlotte Flair, Christopher Daniels, Ember Moon, Lacey Evans, Marty Scurll, Matt Riddle and Roman Reigns are the latest additions to the list.
- Asuka has managed to break away from Maki Itoh to be the top favorite Woman wrestler. However she remains tantalizingly just outside of the Top 20, as every time she gets in, those around her also jump up and edge her out.
- Kenny Omega has made a big late push up the rankings into the Top 10 after languishing for awhile.
- The Top 10 are now all over 200 points. Spots 3-7 are all very close and frequently switch around.
- I am still looking for ages for Allie Kat, Danhausen, Gentleman Jervis, Kris Statlander, Lulupencil, Marq Quen, Misao, Tony Baroni & Yuka Sakazaki

stab posted:

2. Matt martel
3. Chase Parker

Can I just confirm the Matt Martel you've listed is the 35-year-old former Shane Matthews in NXT teaming with Chase Parker, and not the 45 year old Indy wrestler?

Big Dave posted:

Does G-Raver count?

My understanding is that while he requires surgery on his arm and is out for the foreseeable future, he hasn't retired or announced he is done with wrestling so I'm happy to count him as still active.

:siren: REMEMBER, ENTRIES CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT EST ON SEPTEMBER 30TH! :siren:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated through to TV Zombie.

- Kairi Sane and Momo Watanabe finally made the list, and somebody finally basked in Keith Lee's glory
- The two top wrestlers are now over 400 points each, while #3 hasn't quite hit 300 yet.
- Asuka's curse continues, as she got a boost in points but so did everybody else around her, causing her to still be just one spot outside the Top 20.
- :siren: THERE IS NOW LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GET IN YOUR LIST! :siren:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

So I have until 11:59 tonight to do this, right?

Correct.

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

I"m going to level with you J-Ru, I've attempted 5 times now to make a list and I just can't decide.

I'm sorry. Looking forward to the results though.

It may be a heartless machine that churns through wrestlers like interchangeable props (wait sorry I got distracted thinking about WWE) but El Generico's thing might help you, even if the data is now a little out of date from when they asked me to provide the then current top 128 listed.

El Generico posted:

Alright, here's the Adversarial/Tournament System for Determining your Favourite Wrestlers script: https://serene-noyce-4b38c8.netlify.com

If you do this and post your results, make it clear that it's not your official answer to the poll, so Jerusalem doesn't accidentally count you double. I meant for mine to be my real answer to the poll, I think it's accurate to my real feelings, but you obviously don't have to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3.5 hours to get your entries in!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Submissions are now closed. Any lists posted after this won't be counted in the final results.

I'll be rechecking my math and will try to have results/stats etc up relatively soon, ideally before AEW Dynamite first airs but that might be a little optimistic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is going to take awhile, but let's start at the bottom and work our way up. With 201 wrestlers listed by 114 Goons, divided into 63 categories, we covered a diverse range of ages, genders, and most importantly wrestling promotions. While some things went as expected, there were a lot of surprises, and now it's time to see where the wrestlers ended up. Since we're counting from #63 down to #1, where wrestlers drew I have assigned them all into one placing in reverse alphabetical order. Any number in parentheses next to a wrestler's name means they were voted at least once as a Goon's personal top favorite active wrestler.

You said who YOUR Top Ten Favorite Active Wrestlers were, now let's find out who Rowdy Ringsports' Consensus Top 201 wrestlers are!

#63 - 1 point

Thomas Santell
Tam Nakano
Solo Darling
Niño Hamburguesa
Michael Nakazawa
Luke Harper
Kofi Kingston
Joe Coffey
Hijo Del Vikingo
Gentleman Jervis
Cedric Alexander
Awesome Kong
Allie Kat
Alex "Worldwide" Kellar
Hangman Adam Page

#62 - 2 points

Zack Gibson
Yujiro Takahashi
Último Guerrero
Tony Baroni
Su Yung
Shinsuke Nakamura
Shayna Baszler
Sha Samuels
Saya Iida
Sakura Hirota
Saki Akai
Robbie Eagles
Nyla Rose
Nick Jackson
Matt Tremont
Marq Quen
Kazuki Hashimoto
Josh Briggs
Erick Stevens
Charlotte Flair
Big Mami
Bandido

#61 - 3 points

Xavier Woods
Viktor Tykki
Tony Deppen
Tessa Blanchard
Mark Briscoe
Konami
Katsuhiko Nakajima
Jordynne Grace
Jimmy Lloyd
Jake Lee
Eric Ryan
Dalton Castle
Chase Owens
Andrade "Cien" Almas

#60 - 4 points

Tetsuya Endo
Shinjiro Ohtani
Session Moth Martina
RUSH
Misao
Mei Suruga
Matt Angel
Marty Scurll
Jay Briscoe
Jack Gallagher
G-Raver
Brock Lesnar

#59 - 5 points

YAMATO
Timothy Thatcher
Tenille Dashwood
PCO
Lacey Evans
Kikutaro
KENTA
Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio
Isami Kodaka
HARASHIMA
Christopher Daniels
The Butcher Andy Williams

#58 - 6 points

Takashi Sugiura
Seth Rollins
Naoya Nomura
Jamie Hayter
Ember Moon
Colt Cabana
Brody King

#57 - 7 points

YOSHI-HASHI
Shun Skywalker
Sasha Banks
Rey Mysterio
Mario Bokara
MAO
Lulupencil
Kylie Rae
Keith Lee
Finn Bálor
Danhausen
Caristico

#56 - 8 points

Shota Umino
Scorpio Sky
Sareee
Roman Reigns
Matt Riddle
Matt Jackson
Lance Archer
Eddie Kingston
Chase Parker
BxB Hulk

#55 - 9 points

Shawn Spears
Ryo Mizunami
Riho
Momo Watanabe
MJF
Mikoto Shindo
Matt Martel
Kzy
Kyle O'Reilly
Hazuki
Fallah Bahh
BIG E
Bayley

#54 - 10 points

Slex (1)
Shelton Benjamin (1)
Sexxxy Eddy (1)
Necro Butcher (1)
Mayu Iwatami
Chad Gable

#53 - 11 points

Miyu Yamashita
Kagetsu
David Starr
Alex Colon

#52 - 12 points

Utami Hayashishita (1)
Kris Statlander
Effy
Chris Dickinson

#51 - 13 points

EVIL
Jimmy Havoc (1)
Kairi Sane
Roderick Strong
Sami Zayn
Takumi Iroha

For me perhaps the most interesting thing is how low the likes of Bayley, BIG E, Brock Lesnar, Finn Bálor, Kofi Kingston, Rey Mysterio, Sami Zayn, Sasha Banks, Shinsuke Nakamura and Xavier Woods did. Sure there were a fair few low ranked members of other promotions (Adam Page and Rush for example), but all of those WWE wrestlers were once solid favorites of Rowdy Ringsports, and now only a couple of them were able to make double-digits in a popularity contest.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 2, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now we're into the Top 50, where a relatively low 14+ points was enough to get you into the upper echelon of Rowdy Ringsports' favor! Remember, the number in parentheses indicates how many times a wrestler was picked as a Goon's absolute top favorite currently active wrestler.

#50 - 14 points

Jun Kasai

#49 - 15 points

Masaaki Mochizuki
Juice Robinson
El Phantasmo
Bárbaro Cavernario

#48 - 16 points

Speedball Mike Bailey
Meiko Satamura (1)
Jungle Boy
Johnny Gargano

#47 - 17 points

Yuka Sakazaki
Ricochet
Chris Brookes

#46 - 18 points

Ryusuke Taguchi
Hana Kimura
ASUKA (DDT)

#45 - 19 points

Jushin Liger
Bray Wyatt (1)

#44 - 21 points

Jungle Kyona
Hirooki Goto

#43 - 22 points

L.A. Park
Dragon Lee

#42 - 23 points

Kento Miyahara
Io Shirai (1)

#41 - 25 points

Pete Dunne

It's interesting to see here a lot of midcarders (or main eventers in smaller promotions) start showing up. NXT seems to have fared somewhat better than WWE in terms of keeping the luster on some of its top guys - that said, Bray Wyatt's ranking feels surprisingly low even after all the bad booking he'd been through over the years. In sadder news, Ryusuke Taguchi failed to get 69 points and is probably softly weeping somewhere in Japan as we speak, you monsters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Through into the 30s now and we're starting to see wrestlers who have had the charisma and talent to still be held in high regards even in the face of bad or malicious booking. Some very talented veterans are also included, the oldest and scariest being Aja Kong, but the once fresh-faced kid AJ Styles is hardly a spring-chicken himself anymore.

#40 - 26 points

Daisuke Sekimoto

#39 - 27 points

Kevin Owens

#38 - 28 points

Aleister Black

#37 - 29 points

Becky Lynch

#36 - 30 points

Masashi Takeda

#35 - 32 points

Joey Janela (2)
AJ Styles

#34 - 34 points

Fénix

#33 - 35 points

Adam Cole

#32 - 36 points

Darby Allin (1)

#31 - 38 points

Aja Kong (1)

♪ God made the devil, just for fun!
But when he wanted the real thing, he made Aja Kong! ♪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This brings us down into the 20s, where the points still haven't quite taken off yet but we're seeing a clear pull away from the rest of the pack, and the ties have basically ended at this point. The write-ups get a little more robust after this and will take a little longer to post.

#30 - 40 points

WALTER (1)

#29 - 41 points

Toru Yano (2)

#28 - 44 points

Velveteen Dream

#27 - 48 points

Luchasaurus (1)

#26 - 51 points

Cesaro (1)

#25 - 52 points

Maki Ito (2)

#24 - 57 points

Samoa Joe

#23 - 62 points

Asuka

#22 - 65 points

Chuck Taylor (3)

#21 - 69 points

Switchblade Jay White

In the end, Asuka managed to hold onto her spot as the top female on the poll. But she was denied again a spot in the Top 20, which she spent so long just hovering on the edge of, sometimes getting in only to be knocked back out by somebody else around her getting in. Plus, of course, Switchblade Jay White made sure to steal getting 69 points just to made Taguchi sad.