Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

I said come in! posted:

Ideally the game big time encourages the use of flight joysticks, and leans more on the realism side, while pretty much only taking place in space. Elite Dangerous is my favorite space sim, so something like that.

Have you heard of Star Citizen, made by THE Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame?!

It's still in early alpha, but even now it has more gameplay and content than Skyrim V!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Worf posted:

Reported

If it goes to the same place as any other bug or harassment reports CIG get im not worried lol

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got interested in autonomous driving whilst bored at work a few weeks back and I've done a fair amount of browsing on the topic since.

It is incredible how similar the Tesla FSD online enthusiast/investor crowd are to the Star Shitizen crowd. Even down to the 'two weeks!' meme which is present in both communities. Each new iteration of the software, the fans jump up and down begging to be the next one to get the released rolled out to them. A week or so after, the whole thing falls apart as they realise the fantastic new release is just the same buggy garbage. It is kind of surreal. Someone should do a psychological study of these groups to understand the phenomenon.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

redwalrus posted:

This guy still works there and is on payroll.
He still posts on twitter nonstop about wing commander script translations.
I remember when he told everyone hauling people would earn so much money in the ‘verse that they had to price the Genesis Starliner higher than other ships at $400.
Then TonyZ wrote a huge article about mixing drinks with the mixmaster.

The ship isn’t in the game.
The gameplay doesn’t exist.
Nobody knows what either of them do at the company.

To clarify, I did dig through Ben's twitter fairly recently to definitively answer this question and he has had no link to Star Citizen for close to 2 years. He even updated his LinkedIn and there's an end date on his CIG job title.
So he does not work there which is why he only posts about Wing Commander. He has no actual job.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

El Grillo posted:

Got interested in autonomous driving whilst bored at work a few weeks back and I've done a fair amount of browsing on the topic since.

It is incredible how similar the Tesla FSD online enthusiast/investor crowd are to the Star Shitizen crowd. Even down to the 'two weeks!' meme which is present in both communities. Each new iteration of the software, the fans jump up and down begging to be the next one to get the released rolled out to them. A week or so after, the whole thing falls apart as they realise the fantastic new release is just the same buggy garbage. It is kind of surreal. Someone should do a psychological study of these groups to understand the phenomenon.

Well, yeah, cults are cults.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I guess that's it yeah.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FishMcCool posted:

Well, yeah, cults are cults.

i see no evidence that suggests this

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The latest patch (in testing) has some interesting things in it. A sorely needed complete UI rework for one. Also a complete ship and weapons rebalance along with "master modes", which is essentially a system that restricts you to either combat or high speed travel with the goal of making fights closer and more visually interesting. I think it works pretty well, and the rebalancing seems to be making larger ships more effective in pvp which was sorely needed.

The big thing they're touting is a new POI type they call distribution centers. Big rear end surface facilities with room for a variety of missions, none of which are implemented yet of course.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

i see no evidence that suggests this

I was trying to be concise, but here is the fully detailed technical explanation:

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The latest patch (in testing) has some interesting things in it. A sorely needed complete UI rework for one. Also a complete ship and weapons rebalance along with "master modes", which is essentially a system that restricts you to either combat or high speed travel with the goal of making fights closer and more visually interesting. I think it works pretty well, and the rebalancing seems to be making larger ships more effective in pvp which was sorely needed.

The big thing they're touting is a new POI type they call distribution centers. Big rear end surface facilities with room for a variety of missions, none of which are implemented yet of course.

they put a big amazon warehouse on a planet and forgot to move the box collection mission giver over there?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/a4xq...787268f1744#t=0

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The UEC price hikes were aimed at making the universe feel more realistic. As they always planned.

And I can tell you, whatever they raise to will still not be enough.

You should not be entitled to buy any ship you want, alone, just by "saving up".

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

And don’t forget finally giving you your personal hangar space that you can commit suicide in!

They actually advertised that last part wholesale in their preview video.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mirificus posted:

You should not be entitled to buy any ship you want, alone, just by "saving up".

fuckin lmao

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
6AM, I'm tired but my alarm clock is ringing. Put on a suit and tie, adjust my FoIP camera, log into star citizen. Get out of my pod, down to the space subway. It's packed and there's some kind of delay, late to work again, final warning. I sneak in a quick energy bar irl while I eat a hotdog to keep my energy levels up while the software loads up. It's going to be a long day, but I don't have much choice, I'm already in arrears on my spaceship loan...

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

sebmojo posted:

i actually pre-bought starfield, and played about thirty minutes before uninstalling it. it's the only pre-buy I've ever regretted. just so, so bland. I'll fire it up again with mods one day so i can at least play through it.

Is there even a decent mod community for this game? Iirc i read somewhere that the engine is hosed and it is killing total conversion mods

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mirificus posted:

You should not be entitled to buy any ship at all with ingame cash.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

At this point I think I’m just over the idea of the BIG space game. It’s always going to involve a giant expanse of procedurally generated boredom. Elite is great at what it does, but unless you really just vibe with endless space trucking, it’s horribly boring. I just don’t see where the genre could really go from there. You’ve already simulated the entire Milky Way.

I’d much rather have space combat distilled into discrete missions like SW Squadrons, or a sci-fi RPG experience with a small number of hand crafted areas like Mass Effect. Going for the whole planets approach will inevitably entice developers to chase the same chimera that leads down the path to something like Starfield.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 17, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mirificus posted:

New thread title?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

AutismVaccine posted:

Is there even a decent mod community for this game? Iirc i read somewhere that the engine is hosed and it is killing total conversion mods

I don't think Bethesda has released the modding tools. There are some mods, but they're very hacky and limited in their abilities to alter content.

and with how few updates Starfield has gotten since launch.... I think bethesda just wants everyone to quietly forget it exists.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Shazback posted:

6AM, I'm tired but my alarm clock is ringing. Put on a suit and tie, adjust my FoIP camera, log into star citizen. Get out of my pod, down to the space subway. It's packed and there's some kind of delay, late to work again, final warning. I sneak in a quick energy bar irl while I eat a hotdog to keep my energy levels up while the software loads up. It's going to be a long day, but I don't have much choice, I'm already in arrears on my spaceship loan...

You joke but there are people who want this unironically.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

redwalrus posted:

Then TonyZ wrote a huge article about mixing drinks with the mixmaster.

o7 commando

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

queef anxiety posted:

Sounds like you need a dose of the 'verse commando! o7

gently caress; you stole my punchline

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

pretend I am absolutely floored by this yearsworth of progress

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

pretend I am absolutely floored by this yearsworth of progress

prtend i got so excited my nipple jets careened me off into space and i was never seen again

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

El Grillo posted:

I have been saying that the closest comparison to Chris Roberts is Elon Musk, and I stand by it.

E: the psychological phenomenon is they're cults

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea but a tesla is cheaper

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Worf posted:

yea but a tesla is cheaper

With as many glitches, so its a win. At least until it drives you backwards into a dam...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Experimental Skin posted:

With as many glitches, so its a win. At least until it drives you backwards into a dam...

better that than falling out of your toilet into space, hmm?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So 3.23, which was heralded as the largest and most impactful update for a long time has just been stripped off its most awaited features (Freight elevators, cargo missions, instanced hangars etc) and instead it will be just about graphics/UI improvements and the crappy animals we have just seen, and the crappy new flight model basically everyone is melting down about in spectrum. Well done CIG.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Which was the last patch that wasn't stripped down of it's core features, it must have been years at this point.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MedicineHut posted:

(Freight elevators, cargo missions, instanced hangars etc)

Are they instancing the hangars? What kind of fake game tricks are these, has anyone notified the crobber? :trustme:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Awww yis birdwatching patch

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Xakura posted:

Are they instancing the hangars? What kind of fake game tricks are these, has anyone notified the crobber? :trustme:

No, they removed instanced hangars from the patch. :trustme: has clearly spotted the attempted fakery and cracked the whip. No cheating here, hand-painted physicalised hangars only.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trilobite posted:

Is the Lore Team still there? I've always figured we'll know CIG has fallen rear end-backwards into some kind of fiscal responsibility when they finally realize nothing those guys have produced is ever going to matter.

Let's be honest, the Lore Team are the first people getting replaced by ChadGPT.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What if we could lend processing power to the verse posted:

With server meshing starting to become a thing I had a wild thought recently.

Imagine if we could spool-up small servers on our machines to help process off-screen NPCs behaviours (or other) around the verse while we’re not playing. A little bit like project SETI@home used to do in the past. The technology is not the same but the concept could be interesting.

Security concerns aside (I’m not sure this could be done without any risk of hacking), would you be willing to lend your processing power to CIG while AFK ? And do you think it would be technically doable ? With fiber connections starting to become more popular I’m wondering if latency would be an issue.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I would love to exchange my electricity for proper computation of OFF SCREEN NPC BEHAVIOUR ARE YOU PEOPLE loving INSANE HOW DO THEY KEEP GETTING DUMBER

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
And honestly, would it really be so bad to let cig mine some bitcoin on your machine, they're doing so much for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

HOW DO THEY KEEP GETTING DUMBER