Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

lol Elite Dangerous is getting in on that Star Citizen money and is letting players buy ships with real money now.

Also early access to a new ship which will otherwise be purchasable in game in 3 months time. I hope for them that they make a poo poo ton of money from this because the outlook of it is an absolute disaster and can't be dismissed with the usual "but it's only cosmetiiiiics". (of course, the fans already switched to " :actually: it's not P2W because there's nothing to win")

edit: Elite catte is not impressed

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
as an elite dangerous fan my mentality is idgaf if its pay 2 win or if fdev makes money from it

i think atp people just want to emote at poo poo on the internet frankly, but elite is almost 10 years old and has been an actual game for that entire time.

id rather people spend irl money on poo poo taht takes 40 minutes to do and keep the lights on. i dont even see how its a problem frankly, because the alternative was 100% the continued decline of the game outside of them occasionally releasing skin packs which you also have to buy for real money, which is actually worse imo

E: sorry i guess technically you could save up your 400 arx cap a week for like a year and buy a neat skin for xmas

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 24, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As a bitter vet who was sold an offline mode (haha), I think it's inconsequential but a lovely outlook and a dire portent for the direction of future development (if any). ED has long looked like Frontier's unloved cash cow that they reluctantly go back to when yet another franchise deal fails, this time it looks a bit more desperate than usual. It's also yet another sign of how normalised that poo poo has become.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Is it just paying your way around the standings grind, or have they done anything else to keep ships away from players? It was ages ago since I last played Elite, but money was basically free. The standings (and occasional rare materials for upgrades) on the other hand…

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It seems to me we should just get a new Elite sequel at this point. The game engine its on is really old and feels like its held together by duct tape and glue.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tippis posted:

Is it just paying your way around the standings grind, or have they done anything else to keep ships away from players? It was ages ago since I last played Elite, but money was basically free. The standings (and occasional rare materials for upgrades) on the other hand…

It's a timed exclusive, as posted upthread. Real money for the first 3(?) months, credits after

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

It seems to me we should just get a new Elite sequel at this point. The game engine its on is really old and feels like its held together by duct tape and glue.

Still waiting for Elite 4 here. World of Braben was an ok distraction, but it's getting old.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Xakura posted:

It's a timed exclusive, as posted upthread. Real money for the first 3(?) months, credits after

i think the bigger thing is that you can get pre engineered ships for ARX soon if i understand what i read in the elite thread

that is what i was speaking to anyway, i care even less about people getting python 2 early

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Worf posted:

i think the bigger thing is that you can get pre engineered ships for ARX soon if i understand what i read in the elite thread

that is what i was speaking to anyway, i care even less about people getting python 2 early

That makes a bit more sense in terms of “I had to walk uphill in snow both ways” outrage.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
There's talks of cash shop ships having no rebuy. If that's true, then that's Braben-flavoured LTI. :lmao:

(yes, I played ED and yes, I know rebuy is basically irrelevant apart from new players who don't yet know better and are the most likely to buy those ships)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FishMcCool posted:

There's talks of cash shop ships having no rebuy. If that's true, then that's Braben-flavoured LTI. :lmao:

i hope thats not true

i wouldnt be surprised tho i guess. buy a $50 cutter then instantly lose it because youre obviously too stupid to have 110m for a rebuy

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'd definitely plough more Asps and Pythons into Sgr A* if that were the case. :hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Worf posted:

i hope thats not true

i wouldnt be surprised tho i guess. buy a $50 cutter then instantly lose it because youre obviously too stupid to have 110m for a rebuy

You could fix that by just allowing debt

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

i hope thats not true

Yeah, the people the most likely to buy those ships are the most likely to lack the credits to replace them. LTI is a noob move though, I'd have redirected the player to the cash shop page of the same ship with a big animated -50% DISCOUNT voucher.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

lol Elite Dangerous is getting in on that Star Citizen money and is letting players buy ships with real money now.

It's so funny that elite dangerous is so old now that it probably makes sense to switch business models if that's what they're doing

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I never thought I’d see Elite sell ships for real money, but I guess they’re entering late-life MMO territory and just trying milk the handful of people still playing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ED is a decade old dead game, and IIRC was impaired to £nil value in their accounts. Translation - the provable future cash flows are virtually nothing.

They're just squeezing some cash from people like me who still get wistful for what the game could have been

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

FishMcCool posted:

" :actually: it's not P2W because there's nothing to win"[/i])

More like it's not P2W because if you are playing Elite you have already lost :v:

(that reminds me i need to see if I need to do more CZs tonight)

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
At citcon 2023 cig announced two features coming before 2024, one never came and is nowhere to be found.

Patch 3.23 was due in April but PTU servers are unplayable and they’ve removed over half the features that were originally in, all related to gameplay.

They’re holding a five phase event in game for a fomo upgrade token on a $170 ship, but since missions in game don’t work nobody can complete it.
So they said they’ve dedicated a team to investigate and fix the mission in the upcoming patch.
Backers were worried and contacted support to get their mission status directly since unlike a normal game they don’t have it in the actual game.
Support told users they hadn’t completed the missions.
Turns out the scripts support uses to get completion status on players for missions is also bugged but CIG isn’t sure.

There’s always more it’s always worse.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Fidelitious posted:

To clarify, I did dig through Ben's twitter fairly recently to definitively answer this question and he has had no link to Star Citizen for close to 2 years. He even updated his LinkedIn and there's an end date on his CIG job title.
So he does not work there which is why he only posts about Wing Commander. He has no actual job.

Oh ok. Well thats some clarification. I wonder what happened to that guy who always had a money hat.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fidelitious posted:

He has no actual job.

Did he ever, really

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kesper North posted:

Did he ever, really

he is what ppl mean when they talk about the dick suckin factory

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

I hope for them that they make a poo poo ton of money from this

That looks like a solid no. Just seen the new ships they offer for money. They are basically crap, basic gear with perhaps 1 engineered module at best. Preconfigured ships, interesting for starting player perhaps. Anybody that thinks this is pay2win is deluding himself.

I mean, if you are going to go SC, then go full SC. Sell full geared up Corvettes or Anacondas. This half way crap is typical Frontier shite. Halfway crap.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 25, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MedicineHut posted:

That looks like a solid no. Just seen the new ships they offer for money. They are basically crap, basic gear with perhaps 1 engineered module at best. Preconfigured ships, interesting for starting player perhaps. Anybody that thinks this is pay2win is deluding himself.

I mean, if you are going to go SC, then go full SC. Sell full geared up Corvettes or Anacondas. This half way crap is typical Frontier shite. Halfway crap.

lmao ofc fdev even managed to gently caress this up

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MedicineHut posted:

They should just sell no-maintenance-fee Fleet Carriers.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

chadbear posted:

just a bit

lmao

Wow, that's a hit from the past isn't it? Are people still clamoring for their Banu Merchantmen? Given that it's been promised now for 7 years lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Wow, that's a hit from the past isn't it? Are people still clamoring for their Banu Merchantmen? Given that it's been promised now for 7 years lol.

incredible to think i bought my wife one of those for christmas in like 2013 lmao

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Beet Wagon posted:

incredible to think i bought my wife one of those for christmas in like 2013 lmao

:wtc:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Fidelitious posted:

I doubt they have even decided which side is the front/rear of the ship yet.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Beet Wagon posted:

Wow, what did she think of that?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I think they admitted BMM wouldn't be around anytime soon, which means it's canned for good

Backers raged, got a small discount to migrate to other ships and went back to the usual selves

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Which is a bummer, look at all the possibilities when you can establish your shop anywhere:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
where were u

when they came for banu

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JugbandDude posted:

Which is a bummer, look at all the possibilities when you can establish your shop anywhere:

Did they ever do a space food truck?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did they ever do a space food truck?

i hope so, ive got 700 tons of deskeletonized nonbelievers on the barbie

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Wow, what did she think of that?

she was fine lol, it wasn't her only present and we were both still excited abt the game in 2013 :shrug: iirc she got me a Retaliator lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

shrach posted:

Early days!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
can i enslave a player that spent less than me yet

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
IRL yes, but not in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

shrach posted:

Is that the one with the rear end to mouth pilots?