Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

reverend crabhands posted:

In that letter from the Chairman

They have 640 employees now, how the gently caress do they deliver so little?

And this bit :

I know it's already been said that this just isn't true, but I'm thinking it might be correct?

By inserting the caveat words "commercial" and "engine" around "game", "no other commercial game engine has" you exclude for example Elite Dangerous since the Cobra engine it uses is not actually commercially available.

Nevermind of course that the SC engine isn't commercially available either, but that's fine because in CIG land comparing apples to oranges to show your have the better green fruit is perfectly acceptable.

I like the implication that typing 'double' instead of 'float' in their source code is equivalent to the Apollo programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dynastocles posted:

I'm working on starting my own business and the process of figuring out the logistics, supply chain, working out costs and pricing, and talking to suppliers has become an ongoing nightmarish chore. And these people want to do all that, not for actual real money, but in a space game where they could be flying around shooting lasers and having space adventures.

To be fair all of this stuff literally exists in EVE, an actual game.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

trucutru posted:

You can find them in army surplus stores and gun shows. They succkkkk (an exception are the EU ones that are just a bunch of off-the-shelf cans with stuff that people actually voluntarily pay for), not as much as SC of course, but it ain't a good experience unless you're like my cousin who once remarked that dried dog food "was ok".

And it wasn't even expensive dog food.

I tried dried cat food when I was a little kid and I actually recall it being pretty good. Savoury. :yum:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I still think it's funny that apparently tanks got their name from the WW1 effort to conceal what they were before they were known, making it seem like they were shipping water tanks or something else around. What else should we have called them? Iron shooty bois? Actually, sounds too Orkish for my taste.

I mean, the German for tank is Panzerkampfwagen, which means 'armoured fighting vehicle'. Seems reasonable. (And AFV is now the English language term for 'tank-like things' including also e.g. APCs).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NumptyScrub posted:

The desktop and icons are all fully rendered by GPU (12+GB VRAM required)

I mean. Modern Windows does this.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Popete posted:

I've worked on projects that have dragged on much longer than initially expected and it is not fun for anyone involved. On our side as the company delivering software/hardware because it got very tedious to work on the same project for so many years and still not be done and of course our customer did not enjoy missing their deadlines and having to keep people on the project longer than expected. Ultimately it wasn't one sides fault as it involved changing requirements (sound familiar??) but neither side enjoyed it.

People like to work on something to completion, it can get disorienting and unsatisfying to work on something for so long and still not complete it. There may be people at CIG who have worked their entire careers 5+ years without ever having completed a single game and I can't imagine that feels great.

Its also pretty lovely for your resume. Employers like to see stuff that shipped.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dwesa posted:

Oops, don't look here

White citizen's card?! If you don't pre-back do you get to be a second class Coloured Citizen instead a la apartheid?

Um. Someone really did not think through the optics here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

of the Red, Green and Blue scale as well as the greyscale.

Anyone who can say this has no business talking about graphics.

(It's not /as well as/, you get grey by mixing equal levels of RGB. This is computer graphics or even web design 101)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

That's strange, he speaks so authoritatively, and yet my ISP and speed tests show that my upload and download have the exact same bandwidth.

But he said ALL consumer network connections are asymmetric?

Who is right and who is wrong?

Most are, certainly in the UK - thats the A in ADSL. His argument is still nonsense ofc.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

it has been said in interviews before with Chris that if a server is needed, it will just SPIN UP like they have an entire server farm sitting idle waiting eagerly for the command to instantly activate for Star Citizen

If they're running in AWS or something (so, Amazon's server farm) this is actually possible, large websites do it all the time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

surprised Chris hasn't announced yet that he is building his own gamer specific OS, for gamers JUST LIKE YOU who hate being held back by corporate exec's driving their fancy new porsches everywhere making money off the backs of hard working gamers like you when buying the latest Windows!

So SteamOS :shobon: which is a real thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cutedge posted:

but honestly I think a lot of people went to play it and didn't like flying a spaceship in first person.

A bunch of people played and still play Tie Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance so I'm not sure that's the problem. More that it was just the same couple of fights over and over.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Ohhh wait so that's what a standup is?

We were doing them daily for the last ~6 months on a particular client. They took about an hour each time and I got chastised for obviously working through them.

We missed every deadline and possibly lost our biggest client lmao

We were behind on schedule at one previous job so genius manager decided it would improve things if we moved from daily to twice daily standups. It did not help.

Don't think I've ever worked anywhere that even tried to enforce a literal 1 minute rule though. With a team of half a dozen it'll take about 15-20 minutes, usually, assuming you don't have the one guy who doesn't know when to shut up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Death Stranding lets you weaponize poop, pee, and blood. Checkmate CIG.

Postal 2 with pee, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mailer posted:

Eve specifically I can't comment on, but the general MMO social interaction still happens. It just happens outside of the game in fragmented Discord channels. There's something to be said for the tedium in old games driving the social aspect to stave off boredom, but this is the wrong thread if you're into glorifying tedium.

For Goonswarm, it was their forums back in the day (which look a lot like these, there was even a SpaceGBS) then people moved to Jabber. Plus you're on third party voice comms on actual ops. So yeah you're not really chatting in-game.