Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
New thread physics v2 are looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Their ship commercials are so embarrassing, it's honestly hard to watch them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
drat I can't wait to host huge parties in space where all the other plebes will come aboard MY ship and talk about how cool and great me and my ship are instead of everyone just flying their own ships they paid way too much money for in the hopes someone else attends their party.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
CIG is at least aware enough of how broken their game is right now that insurance doesn't actually matter cause you can just respawn your ship an unlimited number of times. But in the future once everything is working they'll switch insurance on and you better have it then or you'll be sorry!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Price and performance do not correlate in Star Citizen. Price and existence do not correlate.

Please see the collected ship reviews from the past thread for details:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056564

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056566

Everyone read Sarsapariller's write ups because they are insane enough to have actually attempted (multiple times!) to play this game and it really is a trip how broken everything is. The pricing on ships alone is horrendous but you have to keep in mind that most of them aren't in game and what is in game doesn't work.

SC from an outsider perspective is a lot like watching wrestling fans talk about WWE. They describe it in excrutiating details and talk about the big dramatic happenings and unexpected reveals. All along you're thinking to yourself "You know it's all fake right? It's scripted, do they not know this?". The difference is wrestling fans know this but they enjoy immersing themselves into it, SC fans have fully come to believe that it's all real.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

I'm so confused. This was announced in 2012, meaning it is halfway to duke nukem forever levels of development hell.

Yet people are still paying thousands of dollars for spaceship jpgs? They are still announcing these jpgs? I just sort of assumed star citizen quietly folded up and went bankrupt around 2015. You are telling me this is still a thing?

I feel like I need to go lay down.

Development didn't really start until just a few years ago, it takes awhile to build up 500+ employee studios across multiple countrys you know! The pipelines are now in place, it'll all start coming together now that they're doing staggered development.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

I don't get why they use this example to brag about how amazing the game is. I mean it sounds like an extremely small zone with very limited interaction.

Cause there isn't anything better to brag about.

SCs whole gimmick is pretending like there is a lot more going on than there actually is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
just lol if CIG is trying to brand instruction cache in commercial CPUs as a feature. What next they're going to "invent" dcache?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I decided to watch some Twitch game play of SC because I really don't know what it actually plays like since there are so few actual game play videos on YouTube (It's all just discussion/ship reviews).

The stream I watched was a group of players all following around someone else in an 890j and they were on a planet just sort of floating around and comparing the 890j size to other ships/objects. I will admit one player was flying around shooting their guns and they blew something up on the ground and the particle effects looked pretty good. But eventually the streamer decided to go back to a station or whatever and they warped off planet only to be immediately interdicted by an asteroid where they then had to restart their warp drive after navigating around the asteroid and continuing on their way. I got bored at this point and that's my story of trying to figure out what the game play actually is in SC.

So the asteroid interdiction, are individual asteroid positions tracked all the time in SC? Like if you took that same flight path again would you get "interdicted" by the same asteroid? Or are interdiction's just random events one of them being that there is an asteroid in the way?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the player leaves that interdiction does the asteroid disappear though? Is the asteroid only spawned once an interdiction is randomly generated?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that is incredibly dumb that you can be interdicted by a random asteroid. This game is seriously all about wasting your time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why are there contrails in space?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why are they building a procedural caves system for a space simulator? How is that a priority right now?

Your dumb game can't even host more than 50 people yet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Caves (Rocky)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

If the 100k rumour was real, they would have just told us what it was for instead of alluding to it.

Sometimes people in this thread treat every rumor the same way Star Citizens treat the babbling of Chris Roberts as outright fact.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's the point of hand mining rocks in a cave in a game were you can effectively mine entire asteroids in space? It makes no sense.

It makes at least some sense in NMS where you are a stranded solo survivor making their way thru the galaxy scraping together fuel but it also doesn't bill itself as a high fidelity space sim either.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yes MMOs and their notorious instant gratification game play loops

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You scan rocks and harvest flora as well, someone bought NMS on sale recently I see.

Also lol you break apart a rock and it scatters into individual "gems" which you have to painstakingly pick up one by one and stow into your inventory.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was excited about Infinity Battlescape but those quotes are putting me off.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That known issues list is hilarious and really speaks to how fundamentally busted this game is. They have all these completely bonkers issues with systems that were put in the game years ago and still problem crop up constantly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Over under on number of server resets during that time set at 1.5

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh the thread is getting into this weird Reddit drama again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol that surely will not be used to endlessly grief.

The concept of balance or fun is entirely non-existent in SC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The idea that SCs servers will be able to handle a few of these bubbles in relation to ships flying around and determine when a ship is "snared" will be fun to see.

I imagine the first time more than 1 of these on a server is up and running it'll crash the server.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

:laffo:

Imagine having to clarify, with specific terminology, that what you just advertised and sold in your game for hundreds of dollars per piece is actually going to be usable in any capacity whatsoever by the people who bought it in any specific time frame. Imagine one of your highlights, part of the sizzle, is being able to implement the mechanic which that object is for when it ends up in the game.

I can only imagine EA and Ubisoft and Activision execs looking on in sick envy.

Then imagine all the people who bought hundreds of dollars worth of ships years ago who have had no update since.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I've said it for years. Stay out of Reddit, point at the "game," all the humor is in the "game." The occasional Bunnyman post is funny, or the CPAP Commando, for a little variety. Otherwise the show here is the game and the people making the game. Every Reddit post here is like pulling the camera off a sitcom and pointing it to people in the audience and pointing and laughing at them instead.

:same:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they do make interdiction a module that other ships can install than it just nullifies this ship since it can't do anything else effectively.

The problem with SC is that to fix and balance the game would upset their whales too much because it invalidates the unseemly amounts of money they spent to be special and above everyone else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

What is the ship buying stuff supposed to look like, supposedly, when this game...ahem..."launches"? Like, if a ship costs $800 of real world dollars, but another player can earn it in the same time an Elite player can earn, say, an Anaconda, won't the $800 dollar poorer person be both poorer and mad? And if the $800 ship is a totally awesome ship worth the price...somehow....isn't that the absolute worst form of pay to win? I'm not sure I understand the intent.

That's always been the dilemma, if they balance this game so that a regular player could reasonably earn the expensive ships then they will piss off their whales (which is basically all that's left). There is no reasonable way to "balance" ships that you're charging hundreds of dollars for, someone is going to get screwed over.

Either they balance it to the point that no one would ever pay real money for the ships and their cash flow drys up, or they make it impossible to earn ships in game and no one bothers playing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Presume CIG is doing this because they either have realised that jpg purchases are not sensitive to rental prices and have thrown the towel or precisely because they want to test how sensitive they are when citizens can get most ships without paying.

Yeah this has to be a test by CIG to see how the whales respond to "plebes" having access to their $800 JPEGs. CIG likely understands that in order for this game to ever have mainstream success they can't rely on overpriced ship sales and players will expect to reasonably be able to earn ships in game so they have to essential under-cut the whales and hope they don't get too upset.

I'm actually pretty curious what the response will be, I'm sure a lot of angry backers feeling betrayed but eventually they'll say "I was only funding development!".

This has been a reckoning a long time coming.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Awwww drat I missed out on the 890j, it's out of stock!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
CIG hanging around conventions and passing it off like they're attending as a Dev company is still probably my favourite part of this whole thing, it's just so sad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Better yet, just don't post on Reddit!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In solidarity I too will post very poorly.

You will not notice any difference.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some you get way too into this personal poo poo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
"It would be a shame if it these accounts were wasted"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine trying to explain to someone why their inheritance is a Banu Merchantman and what that is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This Reddit stuff is getting out of hand, like this thread is almost as bad as the people you're making fun of.

Getting way to close touching the poop here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This Mantis release is going to be a disaster, they've clearly done zero balance testing on this thing and it's rife with griefing opportunities.

Can you even select a target to interdict? Does interdiction give the interdicted ship a license to kill you even if you don't attack first?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That door is going to cause server crashes non-stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Considering how easy it is to suffer a heart attack by doing a couple squats in this game I'd say their EKG readings are actually probably quite accurate since apparently everyone in SC universe has terrible heart conditions.