Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zadda posted:

It's been asked already I guess as to why bother with CitCon anymore. The only way it would make sense was if they'd do stuff that could attract new people, but that point has long been gone.

Only thing I remember from the opening is that I think the crobear mentioned that about 330 people are currently working in their UK studio? Still nothing to show for it though.

Not having Citcon would be tantamount to admitting they have literally nothing to show, and the people still invested enough to go to citcon will accept literally anything, so it doesn’t really matter who shits on the stream because the whales are all physically present.

DigitalPenny posted:

350 million and 8 years well spent. :five:

This person deserves the most lofty goon valor that can be bestowed on a goon. Some thing equivalent to getting the Victoria Cross and medal of honour at the same time. Maybe also a secret service star.

I guarantee that’s a thing of forums avatars some intern whipped up and they didn’t bother with :effort: digging for anything “bad”. Wonder if Stimperor dude has an avatar in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mu77ley posted:

Just as a reminder, Frontier Developments used Excel as a visualisation tool when developing their ground breaking galaxy simulation tool for Elite: Dangerous, the Stellar Forge.

Clearly a bunch of useless hacks who know nothing about game developement...

Word on the street is the BGS was actually contracted out because nobody at Frontier actually expected it to matter, then when their playerbase started straddling the thing as “the only method to meaningfully interact with the game in a persistent fashion” they were left scrambling because nobody there actually knew how it worked :ssh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

One of you has to be good enough with photoshop to put crobbler's dumb face in the comms window with Slippy begging for help.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

He said it would speed things up.
I love everything about this game, I desperately want it to release and watch the meltdowns as 4/10 after 4/10 review comes in.
That'll be the real pay off to me, when the Angry Joes and Jim Sterlings and all the other unwashed twats of the internet have open season on the thing,

jokes on you, when it relases in 2035 it’ll be heralded as a welcome and note-perfect love letter to the retro FPS game style of 2013, like shovel knight

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
double comedy option is that it’s delayed so long that it’s release would be a welcome return to the years-dead FPS genre but it gets delayed again and beaten by a duke nukem kickstarter

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Not quite, they technically did but in a really sketchy underhanded way. Another employee started up a new company which they then sold to that person.

quote:

In October 2019, the assets and rights to Shroud of the Avatar were sold to Catnip Games, a company owned by Portalarium CEO Chris Spears.

lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blue On Blue posted:

Saying they want you to delete all copies outside their database for GDPR reasons is total bullshit

And yes that is exactly the definition of a data breach Zyloh... otherwise you wouldn't be asking people to delete it you dunce

AND WHY IS SOMETHING THAT IS SENSITIVE ENOUGH (name and email address is enough) THAT GDPR WOULD ASK YOU TO REMOVE IT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE YOU ABSOLUTE TROGLODYTES

lol we don't show people their own emails anymore, it's all a*****@g****.com so that their compromised passwords might not immediately get used to crack their signup email that used the same one

i wonder if any salty ex backers would like to dispute what a "data breach" is according to the GDPR/CCPA :allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

So Star Citizen is not going to succeed, glad the supporters can finally admit this much!

Elite Dangerous, and No Man's Sky have literally already done these things.

everyone knows that system warps in both those games are just hidden load screens therefore they're cheating

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

G0RF posted:

Man, now they’re nostalgic for the halcyon days when strangers dunked on their dream game... An act which, at the time, reliably infuriated.

Dark days indeed.

as the saying goes (went?) from the wow complaining thread, you don't worry when there's people complaining about your game-- it means they're invested enough to follow/complain and you still might be able to fish them back in

you worry when there isn't, because that means they're well and truly gone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
we're working on greasing the pipelines for mirificus 3.0, should have a roadmap any day now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

Living in tier 3 here, full lockdown pretty much...
Father in law and mother in law have covid.
Nephew and his Mum have it too, we've just been phoned by the NHS track and trace to let us know we have all been exposed.
Wife working from home in isolation, son off school in isolation, his year have all been sent home as some kids have covid.
To say the walls are closing in is an understatement.
Buy a fuckin Idris

burma shave

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jarlywarly posted:

The problem is what is X

X is the unknown stuff you discover right?

In real world exploration X is a lifeform/landscape/process/human created thing that nature/people created over billions/thousands of years of complex interactive processes, a new species of hummingbird, a sunken ship/lost city a stunning waterfall or crystal formation etc

In games like Subnautica, all this stuff is basically hand made and hand placed (with some randomisation of location for new playthroughs) and this is possible because the game has a start and an end and is set in a few cubic km.

In and endless space game you can't really do this the space is too vast, even one planet or moon, and you end up with procgen stuff that is ultimately dull the second after you've seen it, there can be no real discovery because the procgen is just not capable of making stuff you can't anticipate. So you end up with No Mans Sky etc.

I mean that's also the trick, is that people who say they want "a game with exploration" are using a term so nebulous that it's effectively meaningless. Some people are at one end of a scale of "exploration" where games like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous really are what they want-- it's not about it being exciting per se, it's literally exploration for it's own sake and the only thing that matters is the volume of the sandbox, and those people are still actively playing those games, and would be regardless of a continual trickle of non-exploration content updates (like NMS) or a lack thereof (like Elite Dangerous)

And on the other side of the definitional scale, linear corridor shooters like Doom or Dead Space get praised for "excellent exploration" because sometimes when you hit the use key on a wall it's a door. That is still exploration too, but you can't just say your game "has exploration" without someone who wanted a different flavor of it being disappointed.

All that applies to exploration but also "stuff to do" in general for the space genre, but that's the usual weakness of combining "open world" with any genre, really. A lot of people who claim to want "an open world sandbox" really just want a dungeon master to hand curate A Bespoke Experience Like That Movie I Liked without visible rails, and also make sure it's interesting, and make sure I get cast as the Han Solo character, and also make sure I win and everyone else has to talk about how cool I am.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

smoobles posted:

Starfield looks like poo poo and "if you like other Bethesda games you'll like Starfield" is unequivocally a bad review and an indictment of Bethesda for failing to innovate in 20 years while other AAA companies are doing new, cool poo poo.

It's also objectively incorrect, so

in the context of Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim at the very least, the most fleshed out character is the map, and for a lot of people the enjoyment came from finishing the tutorial and turning left instead of right-- exploring the handcrafted map and getting distracted from what you meant to by something that looks interesting instead a dozen times in succession.

Bethesda has made a lot of people I know who enjoyed those earlier games either "disillusioned with" or "just drop outright" Starfield because instead of getting distracted by something interesting on the way, the game seems to have said "well, people just fast travelled anyways, make the fast travel the required method of getting around" and put in 1,000 procgen planets full of nothing worth being distracted by.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

How different would that be from any of the existing fun cooking coop games that are actually cool and good?

you know that actually makes me wonder, there's a "co-op with a cooking theme" stuff like overcooked, and there's the "actually what you do in a kitchen" focused stuff like cooking simulator, but does the latter actually have co-op stuff going on? I always figured those "(Blah) Simulator" games were nearly universally singleplayer focused

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sandweed posted:

One of the main features of the game is that you can just walk away from any conversation and the Npcs will react dynamically to it. So there has to be some mess hall scenes where you chat with sandys character.

Bethesda games have unkillable quest-necessary NPCs, so in a similar vein, walking away from a plot-critical dialogue in SQ42 will just make this pop up before the game ends

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
it's still the early days, these sorts of growing pains are expected for a startup that's only been around for a dozen dozen months

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pixelate posted:

What if this is Chris's accidental genius though?

He ends up releasing a retro game to captivate the olds, dressed up in many shiny new jackets...

quote:

Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare
Developer- Infinity Ward
Publisher- Activision
Released- Nov 3, 2016

REVIEWS
Mixed (58% of 13,696) ALL TIME

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly curious what volume of new money coming in vs existing players treating it like a subscription are

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Saros posted:

I'm more impressed that they manage to do so little with the headcount they apparently have. There are seemingly hundreds and hundreds of staff churning away and achieving.... What exactly?

Having more people just means the responsibility haze has diffused to the point that nobody is individually "responsible for" the lack of progress, so no progress continues to be made

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DarkDobe posted:

This second half is something that games like Elite Dangerous never did and it's idiotic beyond measure.

Boy do I have fun news about weekly carrier fees for you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i need someone with archival knowledge of 14 years of funny videos to help find something rq

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

correct, although I'm now having flashbacks to old Star Citizen bugs where person control/ship control got mixed up in ways that made parts of your human body pitch/roll/yaw and now I really can't wait for The Stories about how this all works in the CK under the hood

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blue On Blue posted:

i just did a little look and honestly there is so much garbage that comes up when searching for bug videos, it's not even worth it for me

Yeah I did a search before remembering that SC encourages people to upload their own bug videos for bug reports and it's Citizens so that's....a lot of bug reports to look through, so my only hope is someone remembers that they themselves posted a funny video 5 years ago ITT and dig it out of their own post history

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
social latter

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

This is a legit theory in my opinion because often times he is talking about stuff that doesn't exist. His posts feel AI generated.

it'd be reassurring to know that there's as much time wasted writing them as there is time wasted reading them

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

It blows me the gently caress away how not once did anybody ever ask themselves, "is this toy fun to play with?"

every once in awhile I'll click on a "one new post" button and have to take a moment to orient myself on whether I'm in the star citizen thread or the starfield thread

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean my vague recollection of The Early Years was stories about croberts micromanaging with a demand of It Had To Be Real, no game designer shortcuts like "designating livable areas based on geometry, there has to be real gas simulation" so the best engine for the job was never going to save them anyways

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

The only things that actually baffle me about it are outside of the game. People fast travel, hit a load screen like every other game, and this is somehow a new problem.

Starfield is "weird" in that regard because it's meeting in the uncanny valley of fast travel that makes it glaringly apparent how little there is going on, and makes that worse by adhering to the old bethesda standard of "being able to fast travel to anywhere from anywhere" because that's the House Style that's inherently incompatible with what they're doing.

Take the other games in the "same space" as Starfield, No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous.

E:D doesn't have fast travel, straight up. You spend at minimum 30-60 seconds in a system reorienting yourself to your next target, fueling your non-infinite fuel drive up, balancing heat against how impatient you are to jump, possibly dealing with interdictions or hyperdictions if you're unlucky, for every system on the jump; and then actually getting to your destination and landing without blowing yourself up on a high-G planet is another several minute commitment of interacting with the game (especially now with the added heat/damage/speed question of overcharged supercruise). "How compelling that is" is a completely different question, but that friction of time spent has been a core concept of the game for forever and the requirement of that friction is why people spending weeks or months circumnavigating the universe is/was notable enough to comment on when people did it.

Elite Dangerous is also a niche title that only a specific subset of players really likes, because of the type of friction it gives you.

No Mans Sky has teleporters everywhere that are easily accessed, but not instantly, and within that never let you just TP straight to an end destination-- again there's the nominal friction of manually piloting from space to specific spots on a planet, with the implicit "opportunity to be distracted by something else en route", and then filled their procgen list with "weird poo poo" a la 1950s pulp
scifi to be distracted by, if you're someone who resonates with the vibe they're going for.

No Mans Sky is also a niche title that only a specific subset of players really likes, because of the type of friction it gives you.

Starfield, on the other hand, is what you get if you took Skyrim and said "every PoI is open on the map the instant you start the game up, but you can only click on PoIs to move from location to location". The managed to laser-target the One Thing that their house style games had going for them and removed it with a scalpel-- the entertainment value in getting lost, getting distracted, finding an interesting-looking point C while wandering from point A to point B and going over there to see what's going on with it; and they managed to excise that aspect with such scalpel-like accuracy that if you were in Bethesda with a mission to secretly sabotage their next game, it'd be hard to imagine what you could to do kill it more dead.

Starfield was also trying to appeal to "everyone who liked any Bethesda game ever" and removed any sort of friction that may have been "not fun enough" and in doing so, removed any appeal for most people-- and it did so in ways where you can't even add the friction back if you want it. It's bland, unmemorable, and did it in ways that are fundamentally incompatible with being "patched better" later because in trying to be everything to everyone, its parts work actively against it so that it's less than the sum of those parts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

That was my assumption as to why it didn't hit with the Skyrim crowd. That isn't my crowd, but I figured the appeal was wandering off somewhere and "discovering" curated content. No one said that and the running commentary of the time was just "it needs to be more... about space". I assumed it was people expecting No Man's Skyrim and not able to articulate what they wanted without it sounding like a weird expectation.

I've played a lot of E:D and NMS and enjoyed both for what they offered, but the backlash felt a lot like what'd happen if citizens were more rational.

To be sort-of-fair to Starfield, it caught a lot of flack on launch from directions of people who didn't care about Bethesda games previously either. Like, people heard the marketing about "build your own ship" and "explore planets", said "I don't like Skyrim but this sounds right up my alley", came in expecting NMS at a minimum and got subpar "realistic" planets with little meaningful variation, an inability to fly space-to-surface and a truly, indescribably bad space combat experience

So yeah Starfield managed to pull in even more criticism than it would have otherwise by trying to be something it could never be, engine-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sad state of affairs...thread on page 5, a couple days between posts.

Invictus week coming up. More grifting.

CIG was ahead of the curve on being a poorly-run video game company, everyone else is racing to catch up so we're talking about them instead