Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Have any of you tried playing star citizen recently?

It's kind of a fun videogame now.

Buggy as hell, but I don't normally like space combat games and I'm really enjoying it.

Since you all hold such strong opinions about the game I should mention that I never backed it, I'm trying it for the first time as of the past month, and I used to mock people buying starship jpgs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think the only reason for anyone to buy the 12 pack is to use them as lifetime insurance tokens to upgrade into other ships. My understanding is you can only spawn 3 ships at a time, so it's not like you could ever use all 12 at once even if you had friends to fly them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

From what I've seen there is actually a use for a tank in SC, but only if they add more pvp content that supports it. The basilisk as a ground based anti-air missle platform is quite potent since it has a 15-30km range and ships won't detect it until they're within a couple km. If a ground location is being defended by centurions the best way to deal with them is either bombing them with an A2 or deploying tanks to take them out on the ground. That said there isn't much content in the game currently which would prompt that level of large scale organized ground defense.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

given that you can take big ships into atmo you can probably just bully the SAM trucks anyway, no tank required. There's a definite scale issue there, a SAM truck balanced against a small ship is hard to balance against a big ship. The game Empyrion had similar issues.

Ofc in a sane game the SAM trucks would be NPC only and not $200 citizen chariots.

I mean the size 7 torps can threaten big ships, and with 8 of the size 5s even they can do some damage. I think the size 7s can one shot anything short of a hammerhead or retaliator.

As for the real money prices of the ground vehicles, they're insane. They're at most 20% of the price of a ship in in-game currency so you'd be nuts to spent real money on them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Popete posted:

Roadmap is out regarding what's coming in the next update and it's a bunch of maps and changes for Arena Commander the arena dog fighting mode that almost nobody plays.

This is one thing I don't get. They've already got more on their plate than they can handle, why not ditch arena commander and star marine? The only use for arena commander is fixing character issues and maybe a bit of dogfighting practice. I can't think of any use for star marine.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ok. I gotta ask, what is deskeletonization day?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I guess it's just a space game thing?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'll preface this by saying that I picked up SC about a year ago and I've been playing off and on since and actually enjoy it. Feel free to disregard my opinion accordingly if you like.

1) I think the server meshing demo is real. Obviously it worked as well as it did in the demo because they had extremely limited loads on each server so it was nice and smooth. The "real world" testing of it shown at the end of the video was in a much rougher state and will probably continue to be so for at least a year as they attempt to scale it and put it live.

2) I don't know if this is actually in any way revolutionary. I would be surprised if something like this hasn't been done before in other games, though perhaps not on the scale they intend for SC. I say intend because there's a big difference between making it work in a tech demo and making it work across dozens of servers hosting hundreds (or thousands?) of players.

3) I don't think this will, or is intended to, solve the EVE online problem of hundreds of people in the same location. Even if it enables breaking up a visible range region of space into different chunks to be handled by different servers everything in visible range still needs to be replicated on all of the servers that can "see" it. Notice how in the demo the server transition points are blocked from each other by a corner so server 1 can't see server 3. Server 1 is still covering all of the areas of server 2 that it can see, as is server 3. To me this implies that putting 200 ships in one area will still break poo poo because server meshing won't help. If anything the duplicated areas will mean more processing power dedicated to the same task.

The advantage would seem to be allowing thousands of players in the same instance of the world, while dynamically adjusting how much space is assigned to each server depending on how many players are present, but limited by view distances and line of sight.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Agreed, the game is a tech demo. It doesn't have the required content and progression to be a game by modern standards. I just happen to like the tech they're demoing and hope (however unreasonably) that they will eventually turn it into a game.

I also think either their development process is ludicrously inefficient, or squadron 42 had better be the second coming for the amount of money they must have pumped into it, because I sure don't see close to a billion dollars in the PU.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 11, 2024

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I really don't think that's the case. I know this thread is all in on SC being a scam but I think Crobberts is genuinely trying to make what he thinks is the greatest space game ever. Is he skimming more off pledges for boats and mansions than he should be? Probably, but I don't think his intention is to run a grift. I also don't think he has anyone who is willing to tell him he's wrong, so he has the same problem as George Lucas with the prequels or Elon Musk where his bad decisions don't get push back.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did they seriously promise all of that? lol

I hadn't been following the project outside of occasionally seeing funny poo poo about the latest boondoggle up until I first tried playing during a free fly a year ago. Since then I've been more interested but I did not know half of what you mentioned had been promised.

My most optimistic hopes for SC would be:
1) SQ42 releases by Christmas 2025, is at least decent, and the money from it goes back into finishing SC.
2) SC releases 1.0 within 4-6 years.
3) 1.0 includes 3-5 complete systems.
4) the systems are populated with in depth story and quest content.
5) the mechanics currently in game plus exploration, base building and crafting are fully implemented and fleshed out.
6) the game continues to be supported with new content for at least 5 years.

That's best case scenario as far as I'm concerned. It's probably wildly optimistic but I would be very pleased with that level of completion. I think anything beyond that is incredibly unrealistic, and even what I've listed is unlikely.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Are we going to get pet cats in the game? If not this is clearly a scam.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

At first I assumed the outposts in starfield were actually procedurally generated because they were so generic and boring. Then I started encountering duplicates. I couldn't believe they had to hand craft outposts of that level of "quality".

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The latest patch (in testing) has some interesting things in it. A sorely needed complete UI rework for one. Also a complete ship and weapons rebalance along with "master modes", which is essentially a system that restricts you to either combat or high speed travel with the goal of making fights closer and more visually interesting. I think it works pretty well, and the rebalancing seems to be making larger ships more effective in pvp which was sorely needed.

The big thing they're touting is a new POI type they call distribution centers. Big rear end surface facilities with room for a variety of missions, none of which are implemented yet of course.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

It's 4 years old, but somehow I just found it now:

:perfect:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

3.23 is pretty good. Master modes makes pvp combat more viable for larger ships and people who haven't spent 10 years mastering dodging every shot. Ship weapon changes give options based on whether you want to fight smaller or larger ships, or try something in the middle. Distribution centers are interesting but there's a lot of room for more missions they claim are coming in 3.23.x with the cargo updates. Interface changes aren't perfect but are way better than the old interface. NPC ships fly smarter and are much more dangerous now. I'm having fun.

Servers are running surprisingly well for a popular patch, but I'm sure that will change once free-fly, Invictus and xenothreat kick off.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Summit1g has been streaming SC 12+ hours a day for almost 2 weeks for some reason.