Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Honked posted:

If I hated SC, I wouldn't post about it, because hate is extremely unhealthy. I absolutely love the bizarre hubris and blatant pantomime of the whole thing. It's so, so irretrievably broken, but fans keep huffing Crobbler's farts and throwing money into his pot despite everything. I've derived more entertainment from SC than I have from actual released games that I've paid for, and I've never actually played it, and never will.

this is me too, i mean if it's a good game eventually then I'll buy it! until then: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hav posted:

All the early Gabriel is brilliant. Even Genesis.

Also I stan for the soundtrack to the Last Temptation of Christ - never seen the film, but the Peter Gabriel soundtrack is amazing.

Ha, same!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA9L-ph2p-Y

I was watching this gameplay vid (it looks, idk, ok?) when i noticed that the space smoke coming out of the space guns completely obscures the scanner lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm p confident all the CIG staff are gonna arrive one morning and all the locks have been changed on the offices and chris roberts will be at an undisclosed location in Belize. the backers will be like, oh well dumdedoo, got my monies worth, fun while it lasted

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's some gripping prose writing words right there

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no_recall posted:

So, I bought the DCS Hornet pack earlier this week since its on sale and I'm back with another trip report.

I've always wanted to get into DCS but never bothered due to the entry requirements. But with VR, everything is mostly simplified. I use a really old T-Flight Hotas X, which is still really good btw.

Day1: Mainly trying not gently caress up starting up.
Day2: Same as Day1
Day3: Cold start, into taxi and takeoff.
Day4: Learning the Radar systems.

I can see that Star Citizen tries really hard to follow what DCS has, or to promise what DCS is capable of now. And many many others have bought into the empty promises that Chris Roberts is trying to sell. Like DCS has this insane attention to detail, for their full fidelity airframes (planes that have fully pressable buttons in cockpit) and Star Citizen tries to Archer that to no end. I haven't even flown with my friends yet since we are all still learning the basics and trying to get our planes off the runway in one piece. Combat missions feel ever so far away.

Star Citizen and its fidelitous ships will surely pave the way for next gen DCS in space. Just you wait.

Buy an F8.

I randomly skimmed the DCS thread and noticed they model the way cockpit anti glare coating degrades over time, which is such a Roberts thing to care about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

Except it’s in a game that actually works lol

Exactly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm gong to install it with an open mind and an open heart :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

colonelwest posted:

It’s hard to say goodbye, but I’m glad you found your fidelitous new life in space. I’m sure all of us haters will be forced to join you someday when Star Citizen hits release and brings about the singularity.

and an open wallet...

if it is ever really fun i will buy it, i feel like that's an extremely safe and frugal oath to make

e: aight, downloading - that was basically fine up to then like every single other program on the web - expectations so far: met or exceeded!

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 22, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

huh, the installer closed by itself. oh well, starting it up again!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i just fired it up; after about 15 minutes of loading it hit the main menu, and I got into the character creator, which is fairly cool! I made a character and spawned into an aeroview hangar, which is basically a huge empty box with some crates scattered around it, and went through a door into an antechamber. There was no way out of the antechamber. i went back into the hangar and investigated all the options of my mobiglass (sp?). None of them gave me any hint what I should do next. I was about to look for another door when the game crashed to desktop.

7/10

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok! second time round it loads really fast to the menu, like fifteen seconds! this is exciting. I still have the option of two hangars to visit. I'm going to give it the old college try and see if I can find a spaceship before I crash to desktop. AFAICT there is no way to load into a space port or anywhere that' not a mostly featureless box.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You guys have to choose "spaceport" to get into the multiplayer PU. "Hanger" just takes you to the empty hanger. Last time I tried playing, you had to look at the floor and click on the blue dots on the ground to spawn in a ship.

yeah i did a search and it looks like the spaceports are down, I'll try again later.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it loaded a lot faster the second time around, like a minute or so, but there's currently absolutely no way to do anything but run round inside a big room and go in an out of a much smaller room, because none of the spaceports work

I'm sort of committed to giving this a fair shake now, so I'll continue reporting back.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 23, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I got into the single player mode pirate fight and it was an incomprehensible uncontrollable slideshow, I crashed into a rock and watched a computer players ship disassemble and reassemble itself multiple times while waiting to respawn then got bored of waiting it owned

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rech posted:

Since the universe seemed to consist out of 2 empty hangars, I decided to try the other games modes.

Star Marine promised me intense FPS action so I tried that next. The game had generously gifted me a bunch of weapons and armor I could use to build my loadouts. I picked a LMG and decided it was time for some action!

After sitting in that screen for several minutes I gave up only to find out the cancel button doesnt work. Had to open task manager to kill the game. Restarted the game and tried again only to get the same result. Oh well, didnt feel like playing a FPS shooter anyway.

Maybe Arena Commander will work? Immediately I was presented with the option of renting ships. Maybe this is where new players get to try different ships without having to pay real money for them?

Seems like it. Unfortunately I have 0 credits.

Poked around the menus some more and I found it! Free flight!

Is this finally it? Do I get to fly a ship now?

NOPE! (cancel button doesnt work here either)

Eventually I found the single player mode for Arena Commander and I managed to spawn in a ship. Flew through a glowing beam and exploded. After respawning and flying around a bit I decided to try landing on the planet. I collided with a wall in space and the front of my ship fell off.

Not a great experience for a new player.

I did the same, and spent six minutes waiting for the mode to load in before crashing into an asteroid at 3fps. then I went away for an hour and when I came back it was up to an almost playable 20fps, but when I respawned i got obliterated by missiles in ten seconds and then the game crashed.

I'm honestly wanting to find something fun and playable in here, like it's entertaining to bag on it but I'm all about having a decent space pew pew game. SC is not making it easy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MedicineHut posted:

FFS, been backing since 2013 and something about seeing the Ballista rolling down the Idris to the Lightning' roar out the Javelin brought a lump to the throat.

What a ride its been, really starting to see glimpses of what this game may eventually become.

I like how they have the backer stand in at the end flying his toy ships around making peepew mouth noises and imagining how cool it would be if they existed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hot from the content mines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJCotaRIx1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbRWM7FjO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqUJY70ncU

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 23, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dooguk posted:

2 and 3 are unavailable for me.

should work now!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Btw I've found out that the reason no-one could access a space port is that they've been turned off for freeplay randos until 1300 utc (1.5 hours from now). Why this couldn't have been made clear to users is, itself, unclear. Possibly bc alpha idk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I loaded into the verse after 15 min of loading, walked to a train then left when it got to its destination and fell out into the icy vacuum of space

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think we're there with cheap game making tbh, stuff like gunpoint was made by an amateur with cheap tools and time. Mods are games too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sea Citizen!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Star Citizen combines classic space sim gameplay with boundary-pushing visuals in a massively multiplayer setting with unprecedented fidelity. Live how you want to live: shift from cargo hauler to an outlaw, or an explorer or any other role, whenever you want. Play across multiple planets and moons, including vast cities and underground caverns, all created with a unique combination of procedural planet technology and complementary hand-crafted desig

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Titanic posted:

So I'm talking to myself here, but I think I know exactly what this game is like now... it feels and acts and looks like PlayStation Home except kind of science fiction-y-ish.

https://youtu.be/b9s9PcV9Mh4

Yeah that's a good comparison. Just a weird inhuman void

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solarin posted:

Sure are a lot of new posts here. This video game better have gotten shittier or I'll be really upset

there have been a bunch of people making genuine good faith efforts to engage with the fun and interesting gameplay of star citizen which is similar to making a genuine attempt to eat a cloud

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That is correct. It's extremely postmodern.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inacio posted:

star citizen has a very limited scope so it's fine to add a few things now and then

star citizer can have little a scope creep, as a lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agony Aunt posted:

Hello fellow FUDsters. I'm here to spread FUD by posting a FUD video of my experience playing during the free fly.

None of what you are about to see is real. Its clearly FUD made to generate FUD and not a true representation of the game since backers report that they can play no problem. Its probably all my fault, the game is alpha, and its probably not for me.

Also, spent over an hour in free fly and didn't get to fly once... well, except in a rather unexpected way, as you will see at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_AkB5cRWC0

Lmao, snap, that's exactly what happened to me minus the four dimensional train sex

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's all really well put, titanic. I'm going to keep trying until I manage to get in a ship and fly down to the surface of a planet and walk around, I think. That seems a reasonable goal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok so after spending 20 minutes falling to my death I managed to get a train that would take me to the spaceport without making me fall to my death. when I got there, there were no space ships for me to fly - the vehicle retrieval console was blank.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEhcCibH8A

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j5a8IZy6CY

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0rQwiI3qI

After this I tried to open it and there was no launch button.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sarsapariller posted:

You were at another surface vehicle spawn pad- that's why your ships weren't available. I don't blame you the layout of the spaceports is confusing as hell and there is absolutely nothing to differentiate the surface vehicle spawners from the space spawners.

It really is interesting watching a new person run through the game. The signage and "Tips" are all still designed around Port Olisar where the spawn -> ship console path is a 10 second corridor. As they've tacked on these bigger and bigger cities they've made absolutely no allowance for new people becoming confused and lost in their endless shopping mall labyrinths. It is almost anti-game design, at this point.

Wait, so i might be able to find a spaceship if I go back? Where the gently caress are the spaceship spawners, I thought I'd had a really good look around?

TBQH my jolly tone is only a little bit fake, I genuinely do want to get in a ship and fly to another planet. that's why I sound so defeated at the end lol. Someone described it as Bob Ross getting griefed by one of his own paintings.

Overall the lack of even the most minimal attention to new players is incredible. Not even a text pop up to say 'go here and do this', just bizarrely random, almost Dada, help tips.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 27, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol I'm on a mission here, so I'm going to keep trying. I uninstalled it last night after the 'launch' button on the launcher disappeared for some reason. Incidentially the launcher uninstalls fine but it leaves all 60 gig of game files there, and there was no entry in the uninstall list.

I think I'll put it on my SSD and have another go, now I'm refreshed by the morning sun's regenerative light, Superman style.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martman posted:

From what I've read, it seems like this should read "suicide (press pretty much any button)"

exit train to reach death

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Super-Id posted:

Whelp. I made it to Olisar and the same thing happened. Shooting did nothing and getting close disabled my guns. Just landed on a random pad and got verbal warnings and nothing happened... until my ship disappeared and I spawned in the station. Great, I thought, they must have impounded it. I open up my mobiglass and have no crime stat. Also I was spawned partially in the floor which I then fell through to my death. Then I respawned back on the forestry station.

I've put a good several hours into this game now and it's been frustrating and totally devoid of anything approaching fun the whole time. If there is any gameplay on offer it is hidden away with no evidence of where to find it. The one thing I sought out seems to be oddly out of reach, which is just getting locked up. You think flying my spaceship into a space station at max speed would get me a fine or citation or something. Nope.

lmao I actually like this thread a lot more when we're all just earnestly trying to have any kind of fun with the game and it's thwarting us at every turn like a wu shu master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scruffpuff posted:

It's all fine, nothing to the game but 3D models that clip through each other is something you fix in a few days, nothing about any of that is foundational nor does it speak to the skillset of the people responsible. Pledge more.

there's no point fixing any of the bugs until you've finished making the game, as you would know if you understood making games