Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The devs have been talking a fair bit about argon tracking, yeah.

Scruffpuff posted:

:agreed:

The Reddit reposts are the only posts I skip. The posts from the people here are almost always fun to read. Reddit posts are never, ever good. Reddit reposts are like turds floating in an otherwise enjoyable swimming pool.

If you don't like the turds in the pool, Chris is willing to sell you an 890 Jump so you can have your own pool :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The fidelity was so great that it failed to be much of a simulator at all, essentially just replicating the same kind of arcade gameplay that was the core of Wing Commander (unsurprisingly since SC was just WC-with-fighter-jets). Again, Falcon 3.0 was the actual F-16 simulator of its time and featured a level of simulation that required a maths co-processor to run its high-fidelity flight model mode.

And of course, there's the whole nonsense about how Chris was shaping the industry that he waffled about in the manual, when all his boasting really did was reveal how deeply ignorant he was of computer hardware, software, and games in general at the time. My rant can still be read in the old thread. Particularly fine gems include his misunderstanding how ratios work; his difficulty in predicting whether computers would become more powerful (1993 was the year of the Pentium); and as mentioned, his missing the ball by 2 years in his failed attempts to create a simulator. Oh, and of course his thinking that being inept and ignorant makes him pretty much the same as Francis Ford Coppola.

:suicide:

Chris did help shape the industry to a degree, though. The Wing Commander series was one of the early examples of pushing production values over everything else, so if you see a game that's all graphics and very little memorable gameplay you can sort of thank Chris for that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Ms. Management

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

If you thought infidelity ruined marriages and other relationships, just wait until you see what this crowdfunded fidelity™ can do.

Zaphod42 posted:

In this case Star Citizen may have saved that woman from her husband before they tied the knot.

Hard to say given that the original post was deleted and the account never responded to any of the comments, but we can hope.

Oh wow :eyepop:
It's almost like someone should start a support group for the spouses who end up victims of the Citizens and their JPEG dreams :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

reverend crabhands posted:

I have no idea if that was intentional, but the resemblance it is uncanny. :monocle:

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post467914548]

I don't know that I would compare Stacey with a dog, but the two situations do have certain similarities.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

The most transparent development ever.

Admittedly, a void is pretty easy to see through.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I've said this before but I'll repeat it for the new thread. The Cultists project wildly and very precisely onto Elite Dangerous. They always have. With Derek quiet now, Elite is back to being Cult Satan. In the cultists' minds, ED and Star Citizen are locked into a zero-sum deathmatch with every own or point scored over ED somehow making SC better.

It dates back to the days when refunds were common and people would post that they were quitting SC for an actual game that had been released. The cult utterly hated that, and always will.

You can tell, with incredible precision, exactly what the cult is worried about in Star Citizen because they start blaming Elite Dangerous for it. Every time. The cult is worried about CIG's finances and broken promises? Well, here's an in-depth study of how Elite Dangerous totally did those things really.

I maintain that if you tried hard enough, you could show a die-hard cultist footage of Star Citizen's most broken sections and have them claim you're really showing them ED.

FailureToReport did make one video where he was playing Elite Dangerous while talking as though it was an updated version of Star Citizen. It was kind of amusing :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, this is good. But you have to hand it to Roberts, at least his product has a roadmap.

On the other hand, Tesla has actual cameras, not just promises of future cameras.

Scruffpuff posted:

Gaming press: "They're crashing to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just clipped through the cockpit of another ship! This is terrible! ... Oh, the humanity! The ships are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! The commandos are running for their lives!"

Star Citizen backers: "As God as my witness, I thought JPEGs could fly."

Wasn't there an actual SC backer who was found dead from suffocation in his own spaceship themed pleasure basement or something like that? :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

just lol if CIG is trying to brand instruction cache in commercial CPUs as a feature. What next they're going to "invent" dcache?

In the most hilarious of worlds, CIG would claim to be researching new CPU and GPU architectures optimized for Star Citizen. From scratch.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Chris should take a page from the original Police Quest and force commandos to do a 360 degree visual inspection of their chariots before take-off or risk blowing up even more often.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of space games, this is pretty cool, like someone made a cross of Kenshi and Escape Velocity, or something :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
With the way that ship was humping the bigger ship, you would think the backers were all humpback whales.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

gently caress you!

Knight rider! Airwolf! Automan! Manimal! Blue Thunder! The Highwayman! Sledgehammer! Magmun loving PI! The A-Team! Miami Vice! Moonlighting! MacGyver!

Case dismissed!

I don't know about the other ones, but surely MacGyver was mid-to-late 80s, not early 80s?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ecavalli posted:

Nah, that expired in 2015: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires

As to why no one else does loading screen minigames, at this point it's kind of a mystery.

Hyrule Warriors allows you to play ocarina notes during certain Free Mode loading screens, at least on the Switch. That's the only one I can think of.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

* They're interviewing the german devs in front of what is clearly a green screen, with a picture of their development office plastered on it. What the gently caress? Did they lose the office?
It wasn't just a picture, but it did look rather weird.

Sarsapariller posted:

* gently caress this show, gently caress Star Citizen, gently caress you for reading this. I'm out.

R u ok, commando? :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, very much so. Instead of flying combat ships the focus will be on the forklift drivers who move goods around the warehouse and occasionally push crashed ships off the deck.

Chris Roberts' Space Bulldozer Simulator 2025

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Baxta posted:

I might be controlling it. Borderlands 3 plays like it should have been a DLC. The funny is gone. I am disappoint.

So, worth waiting until it's $10 or so on a Steam sale in a few years?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm downloading things at the same time as I'm trying to see what that taxxe JPEG is and it's appearing line by line like in the 28.8k modem era. It's very nostalgic. :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Not sure how trusts work in some the US, so I could be wrong here but the nature of trusts means It can not have any debt. Maybe ortwin has some next level finance wizardry going on but in theory there is no mortgage on said house.

Yes it does add a very strong layer of protection, but there are some ways around it.

Usually people at a high risk of being sued use em, doctors, lawyers, accountants & The very rich.

Guess I did not know game dev was a highly paid and risky profession...

Who said anything about Chris still being a game dev?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oh. I see how that might be confusing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RescueFreak posted:

Thanks to the goon who recommended Starsector.

I spent all weekend playing it.

It's pretty great, isn't it? Oh, be careful around neutron stars, assuming your galaxy map has any. I think mostly everything except the core worlds is randomized each time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

And on and on. There's too much. There's always more.

This reminds me of the between chapters photo from that ninja game, Ronin.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Sell the customer database to other scammers.

I'd contract a team of 30 people to make SC, give them complete control to poo poo something out and fire everyone else, but pretend I still have 600 people working for me, and desperately needed they money to finish the project. Pay myself the rest.

The rest of my time would be dedicated to selling out the company and hiding all this will never ending shell company's.

Chris had a dozen shell companies? We shall have... 42!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Space Court isn't entirely boring. My favorite part was when the cult theorycrafted whether or not the judge would compromise her work ethic because her dad something something space, therefore she'd see the incredible things CIG was trying to do. The arrogance was staggering - the fact that they equate Chris Roberts's brain-fart with some kind of monumental advancement in our understanding and appreciation of space exploration - and that their failed-model viewer is so incredible that a US judge would literally sacrifice her job to defend it.

I would think the judge would have been more likely to order a psychological evaluation of Chris Roberts and his weird handwaving, assuming he ever showed up in court, rather than compromise her legal neutrality because a has-been who doesn't understand space is trying to make a terrible space game and selling JPEGs in advance.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zeond posted:

Yakuza 0 is incredibly good but the final two dance battle substories are nearly impossible and Miracle's second substory is even harder. I somehow managed to beat Isobe by 60 points but resorted to cheat engine after twenty attempts at beating Ogita. Thankfully beating Miracle is not necessary to complete the substory and Kiryu accepted that he'd never beat the king of pop.

As I recall, it's easiest to do those dance battles on medium difficulty, as it's easier for the player than hard but the NPC opponent also does less well than on easy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Man, if I'm spending $100k on a costume it better be a fully functional battlemech or something
Or the goon-sized version of this?
https://i.imgur.com/zdMZd5q.gifv

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I finished watching the dead stranding video and if I didn't know that it is a Kojima game I would be sure it is some sort of prank.

Like, SC has toilets and so on, but can you weaponize your turds? can you throw bloody pee grenades to get rid of the Vanduul? I dont think so

"The bloody urine is a particularly powerful weapon" :omarcomin:

I can't really blame the Giant Bomb crew for looking confused, bored and occasionally disgusted. That thing looked extremely weird, like someone removed all the people who kept Kojima somewhat in check and things have just gotten too weird for most people.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 20, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me a bit of those Neighbours from Hell games where you had to annoy your neighbour as much as possible for some reality show.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

You could have a system where all marketing is subject to the same standards as corporate financial reports (with similar penalties for lying). There is no reason to treat one set of stakeholders (consumers, public) different from another set of stakeholders (shareholders).

Consider a company like Apple. I've heard a lot of people talk about how they believe that Apple is interested in digital privacy. But if you read their annual reports there is no mention of privacy as a key component of their business. On the contrary, all references to privacy are under the "Risks" section. Same with their privacy policy. And Tim Cook knows this. So you could argue that Cook is deliberately spreading false information about Apple products for personal gain.

It might be a bit more difficult to get influencers to stop engaging in fraud, but I am sure if there is a desire we can come up with something. E.g. mandatory requirement for revealing financial or other significant benefits around a given promotion.

So, a bit like the FTC Endorsement Guides but with more teeth?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

You don't have to shut down people's opinions or work. But I do believe influencers should be required to reveal conflicts of interests (direct or indirect). If say 90% of your revenue via Twitch/YT (or what have you) is tied to content around a given business entity; this should be revealed to consumers of your content in a prominent way. Something like a note saying "This streamer/channel has a significant financial dependency on [entity X]." Youtube already does this with some government run channels:

If you're posting random stuff as a fan, this would have no impact. But if $$$ is involved it has to disclosed. No one is saying you can't spread "hype" even if there is a conflict of interest. However, influencers should be required to disclose this conflict of interest.

I have zero trust in US regulatory authorities. I would even go as far as saying that the "gaps" in regulatory enforcement are by design. There are countless examples of this in the past 20-30 years. Companies routinely handle regulatory penalties as a "cost of business." Until there are real consequences (e.g. full asset seizure and mandatory ~3 year community service at minimum wage levels for all involved executive decision makers), the FTC might as well be considered a regulatory/PR/legal arm of corporate interests. An outsourced regulatory department if you will. :keke:

I just meant that maybe stuff like this already exists but needs more teeth. I don't really know how well enforcing rules works in the US (or the whole Federal vs. State vs. Local business) so I'll mostly defer to US goons for that. :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

I was looking for his posts as well and surprised he wasn't there. I thought that was the most remarkable about the article.

Maybe a check bounced

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

~ METZEN ~

I am seriously still angry (if you can't tell from my last post) about the SC2 campaign.

SC's world and atmosphere were really good. It was a proper war drama. All the factions did bad poo poo, all the factions had flaws and villains, people loving died, and it was exciting and believable.

Then SC2 is just like a goddamn high school soap opera plot.

The SC2 campaign was so cringe worthy outside of the occassional fun set piece. Sure, Raynor thought Kerrigan was hot in the first game and was angry when she got abandoned, but we really did not need some weird redemption love story arc taking up half the campaign in the sequel.

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

Making the player a character in a big SC1 universe where the Protoss are going around glassing planets that the Zerg invaded was definitely a good move and the whole SC2 experience being focused on boring characters is just so uninteresting by comparison.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Sssshhhhhh, we must remain silent while the Kilrathi carrier flies over us in case they hear us in the vacuum of space and attack.

That bit might have actually broken my brain a bit when I watched it, once.

I think the original series of Star Trek also had an episode where both sides in a battle went to minimal power and just kept listening on passive sensors like submarines. Finally, someone knocked an object off of a console and the sound from it hitting the floor somehow alerted the enemy kilometers away in space, causing both sides to go full power and fire again. It only hit me in hindsight just how dumb that is.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Simulation videogames are not a subset of all videogames.
SC is good.

Star Citizen isn't bad
The sky isn't blue
Grass isn't green
And Chris works for you

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

some fan did a comic called 'anchor' a while back that was way cooler than just having one ship in the whol' galaxy that can do it.

Ship is designed to be useless by itself. Your engines are crippled so people will just fly away from you and jump out. Though its not like you could kill them in the first place, since your weapons and shields are crippled too.

For piracy you have to have some idiot to volunteer to fly the Mantis. They get to be useless in a fight while being the #1 target.

Meanwhile, Tie Fighter did interesting interdictor gameplay missions in what, 1994?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

In the first 20 second or so, I felt a tinge of nostalgia; I was thinking maybe I should play the campaign or watch all the cutscenes on YT. Figure out what happened since SC/BW. Then I finished watching the vid. I have zero desire to find out more about SC2 story.

That was terrible.

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story. SC/BW was decent, still not as good as C&C or even Red Alert 1.

I would say D1 barely had a story and D2's story was simple enough for the kind of game it was. As I recall, the cutscenes between acts in D2 were made by regular Blizzard without Blizzard North even being involved.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

So, being that Chris Roberts is such a game design God, what games do people (well, goons, none of you are real people) think he is currently playing?

My guess is that if it's not on the in flight entertainment system of first class, he has not yet played it.

I think it would be beneficial for him to play prison architect. So that he understands what's going on in his future.

(In fact, I'm sure when I played it in early access, it had a prisoner call Chris Roberts)

Should he not play The Escapists instead? It seems more relevant to put him in jail and also remind him of the Escapist article that prompted his supposed 8 hour rant on the SC website. :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

We lost the stupid console thread and I don’t know where to pop this.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/atari_retro_console/

Out of the half dozen or so companies that have sold things under the name Atari, how many have not had these major screwups? It's becoming a sign to stay away at this point.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh btw GOG is giving away free copies of Freespace 2 right now, in case any of y'all are nostalgic for that game

Thanks for the info :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Reminder that Amazon invited Lethality to their games studio so he could give input on their weird colonial MMO where the natives are zombies instead of natives.

I think we all know where the Amazon game studios are heading by now :D