Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

:agreed:

The Reddit reposts are the only posts I skip. The posts from the people here are almost always fun to read. Reddit posts are never, ever good. Reddit reposts are like turds floating in an otherwise enjoyable swimming pool.

Look, would you really rather see Spectrum reposts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

'use of Gatsby references'

aka literally just reading off gatsby

also is it just me or does that commercial imply the guy wants to bang the ship

Ed., P.s.:

* Opera singer not included
* Ship crew not included
* Friends not included
* Gas money not included
* Animations for doing parties barely included
* Gameplay not included
* Lifestyle not included

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 7, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

*:females: not included

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Oh god the food and water thing. What's the drat point?

Imagine how much time they could have saved if they just didn't model the bathrooms.

Jesus christ

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mr Fronts posted:

Here's a walk down memory lane - an original genuine RSI forum [Concern] thread from 2013...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14892/concern-game-complexity-detail-vs-alpha-release-nov-2014

"Also as stated in previous threads with concerns to the deadline and how much work they are doing, they ARENT building the game from the ground up. They arent making a game engine from scratch and most of the assets and components are already in place. So far weve just seen a few ship designs, but that doesnt take into account what ELSE is already going on in the background."

:shrug:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

In two years, I think, we will have the shitposting pipeline complete. Then we can think about starting a threat that would make page 6666.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Shoulda called it then.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What the gently caress does define your legacy even mean

Does it mean you will your children a useless spaceship jpeg instead of money?

In that case way ahead of you Crobber, each and every Steam sale purchase is defining my legacy

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think the problem is server side? They can't do a new system without xX~SSOCS~Xx because they need to be able to shift you to another server.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You could fly the yacht for 'free' on the second degree test server if you paid your fan club dues

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

"Enhanced Ship Modularity – So you have the ship of your dreams, but really wish that it could be customized to suit your needs a bit more than the off-the-shelf models? This new goal, a massive undertaking, is going to be of interest. We are looking to overhaul any suitable ships (including the Cutlass, Avenger, Retaliator and Redeemer) to allow many modular components to be available as swap-outs. (...) Manufacturers will still be offering pre-configured variants, but should you be looking to adapt a hull to suit a certain task then your ship has come in (and is now ready for modification!)"

(Let's pretend CI didn't forget about this 65M goal as well)
Thanks for this. I never looked at any of the kickstarter stuff.

anyone remember the Battlefield Upgrade Kits?

They just took a bog standard mechanic that, apparently, they had already promised to put in the game and sold it as a special feature of the Vanguard and iirc just the vanguard.

Oh except you had to pay real money to get them.

Then, later, they realized this was incredibly stupid and deprecated the whole idea of having a special pony BUK mechanic just for one ship, and that resulted in endless discussion and angst and 'clarifications'.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 16, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, that's what the medical ship does? Man, they really are trying to build a space sim and Planetside at the same time. I wonder how exactly they expect that to work with the sparsity of the population all over the universe, even if they eventually do decent numbers on release. They haven't thought about it and will never release.

Most of their 'medical ships' (and medical bays in larger ships) dont operate as respawn points, they just cure 'level 1 and level 2' injuries. Basically, limb crits and knockouts. You have to file a beacon and pay someone a missions worth of credits to fly out to you and heal your broken arm, a process that will probably take 15 minutes at a minimum. For a limb crit. In a game with really fast TTKs so odds are you will either win uninjured or die immediately.

People have this vision of swooping into battles and loading up injured players to heal them and it is just insane. Like people are going to wait there on the ground, just lying there for someone to come and medical them. Even in loving ArmA noone sits around for that unless they are on voice with a medic that is trying to get to them in the next few minutes.

The best part is that the initial medical ship, the cutlass..red? got deprecated into being bad so they could add a whizbang new dedicated medical ship the Apollo. Which cures limbcrits *twice* as good! But still isn't a respawn point.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

soon warframe will have both better ship combat and better cave mining than star citizen

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They will just make the krait, except right side up. Unlike ED which got it wrong.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm gobsmacked at this 'pick up individual apples and select STOW' mechanic. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? 99.9% of harvesting pickups are going to be so you can sell them..not roll them on the ground or inspect them or whatever. This is the unholy brainchild of a design doc that insists they use innerthought for everything and ~FIDELITY~.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Annnnd the :reddit: Citizen reaction is, THEY LOVE IT! Because the subreddit populated by the people who really want this to be Space Second Life + Everything Else In The World.

Well, except for one person that pointed out they just copied NMS, but they downvoted him into oblivion.

NMS is hardly the originator of lovely mining gameplay.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

It doesn't need to be. It's the one with the recent patch that got their attention, therefore became the template for their own worse version of it. Except as someone in the thread already pointed out, mining in a cave makes sense for a game where you're stranded on a planet with hostile conditions and you have to synthesize fuel and other things while taking shelter from the elements.

In Star Citizen, you mine in a cave so CIG can take shelter from the fact that they can't get a single loving core element of their so-called "space game" working, so they run away at top speed while continuing to steal money and throw meaningless art and pointless micro-mechanics over their shoulders as a distraction.

Fair point; what's Warframes excuse? ;p

I fear K8.0 may be literally correct and if you are thrown in Cave Prison you have to cave mine to fulfill your sentence.

quote:

"You misunderstand the sentiment. Server OCS is not where we will see major performance gains, it will come from server meshing, which requires server streaming to work. Server OCS may have some nice side effects on performance, but that is not the main motivation. Also many engineers on the team including myself have worked on other MMOs :)"

I feel this is all but total confirmation that meshing is now the codeword for instancing. Cool guy dynamic amazing wow meshing is ded.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nicholas posted:

Adding brand new features to your roadmap 2 weeks before launch does not seem like good project management.

At what point did some people, start working on a new FPS map for star marine? A game mode that no one plays and is not connected at all to the deliverable items? How many artists, programmers, designers, testers dedicated time to it? Who decided it was a priority and why?

I guess they could use the map as a training module for squadron 42.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's one thing for that OP to miss the point of 'noclip flying' complaints, but its 63% upvoted. :sigh:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Initially, people don't give a poo poo about the characters. Without a good plot or context the characters and series will fall flat, and you will never get to the late phase. But if you do, years later, the audience is invested in the characters; they make a situation more interesting just by being in them. So you can poo poo out anything and it will sort of work.

e: like none of us cared about chris roberts years ago but now look at us

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

some fan did a comic called 'anchor' a while back that was way cooler than just having one ship in the whol' galaxy that can do it.

quote:

This is especially true given that, as Tome described, using the Mantis' Quantum Enforcement Device is a huge drain on the vehicle's power to defend. "Because the activation and tethering of the Quantum Enforcement Device will require a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, you'll have to turn down other systems. That's the way we're going to balance it so that you won't have full shields, full thrusters and full weapons." If there's any solace in that at all, it's that others in your party will be informed of every ship you've captured.

Ship is designed to be useless by itself. Your engines are crippled so people will just fly away from you and jump out. Though its not like you could kill them in the first place, since your weapons and shields are crippled too.

For piracy you have to have some idiot to volunteer to fly the Mantis. They get to be useless in a fight while being the #1 target.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Making every gameplay system exclusive to single ships is such a weird design choice. I mean, I know why they're doing it - to sell ships - but it would make much more sense, from a lore and gameplay perspective, for these things to be attachable modules and such for other ships. Why would you get a bunch of these little interdiction ships instead of just putting that functionality on a bigger ship that can actually, you know, fight? The only practical application of this is piracy, after all.

It would make sense for it to be a variant of or a replacement for the EMP devices in various bounty hunter-type ships.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it operates continuously once it goes

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SoftNum posted:

I mean, whatever else is going on here. these are shitizens and this is CR. of _fucking_ course they are going to buy this.

I'm not sure they will. The whales may not be very piratey.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

This is so wildly unlike CIG that I can only assume it is either a mistake or they are desperately trying to get server populations up or something.

I mean I guess it could be that rentals don't really impact their sales but it's hard to see how.

Wild thrashing about sounds like another C.R. special.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I watched a video of the Dual Universe devs talking about their latest alpha. They reworked the flight model and controls to make them easier to use, more fun, and more engaging, particularly for low level flight and hovercraft. This includes making it more apparent how it interacts with the ships you are building yourself, like lift from wings and thruster position. Then they talked about their 'first implementation' of their environmental audio system which seemed fairly complete to this viewer. If only they understood game development more they would have added in mandatory Auto-Hover from ArmA and a 'tier zero' implementation of environmental audio which was just a proof of concept with manually tuned sound files on a single ship.

EminusSleepus posted:

I backed this one in kickstarter with the lowest pledge. so no beta/alpha for me, I am waiting for it to go live.

I think even the lowest tier backers are getting Steam keys for the early access launch this weekend.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

git Goon Uncertainty and Doubt

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jason Sextro posted:

Star Citizen is good, confirm/deny?

Abort/Fail

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

WTF? I thought the parasite helmet was a photoshop when it was posted earlier.

I think it does matter if you break your games aesthetic. There's a limit to what most games will make available, even games with user-submitted content like planetside or warframe.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

sentrybot seems unclear on the actual meaning of troll, or at least immune to the hypocrisy

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Had to laugh at the bit where Sandi wanted to do an 'in universe' show. I think the best implementation that i've ever seen was Max Payne 1 and 2, and all it took was some voice actors and a handful of sprites. I ran the entire game a second time just to watch these shows to completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJrK751zi8

But Sandi wanted to do full on news cast FMV, probably some drama shows...

Yknow, slapping together some 'in universe' media content would be a relatively easy task for a few talented artists and great for shoveling at the fans.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Goons want free griefing, not $400 griefing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Not sure about heavies. Anyone in a faster ship will just BOOST BOOST BOOST away just like in Elite Dangerous.

i mean i guess you could just use a torpedo bomber to one shot people, cig is GoOd At BaLaNcE

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Inacio posted:

it's even aggravated by their design decisions - bigger ships (where you can, you know, at least get up and do something with other people to reduce some of the boredom) go faster. why? what the gently caress is the point? is it just to appease the whales who spent more money?
it serves absolutely no point in the game. it's just a loading screen - except it's not even loading anything.
i'm honestly just shocked right now. those guys in chat were actually loving defending this. how? for what purpose? is it just an advanced form of stockholm syndrome?

i wasn't even hating the game so much until now (despite other things such as being unable to do most missions because i have The Wrong Ship - should've spent a few thousands on the game, loser!)

e: Your inconvenience is my immersion

There's an argument to be made. Fast travel does have an impact on how big a gamespace feels. Time-distance adds significance to geography, to placement of assets, and so on and so forth.

But CiG's approach is just insane. The majority of SC community is apparently all in on big ones go faster for no god drat reason other than maybe it makes their dicks hard for their big ships to be better than everyone else. The times to get to anything useful and therefore accomplish anything in game are totally bonkers. You can't even go make some tea while in quantum space because of interdictions and random equipment failures.

The notion that small ships should just be sticking to one planet for their game-space is asinine in a game that wasn't even going to have planets as anything but a single landing zone. Flying in Quantum doesn't even look fun. It coulda been though.... *waves at Infinity Battlespace*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 3, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Especially since this corporate society gave rise to a tyrannical empire and was also apparently instrumental in ending it. Although it's still an empire. Don't question it.

the 'star citizens' (players) are explicitly the wealth creators of human society, the top 0.1% that are smart enough, suave enough, and rich enough to make their own way and are beholden to noone.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the problem with starship troopers is that you cant just make a straight up propaganda flick, right down to the peaceniks deservedly dying, and expect that the target audience of teenage boys understand that its a satire or parody at all. Like the only way Starship Troopers is a satire is if you go into it with both a clear intellectual understanding of nazi propaganda and contempt for it. To the extent most people understood the satire, it was only at the level of the kids smashing the bugs being over the top. Even though that wasn't over the top it was literal portrayal of a mobilized fascist society.

and thats how we get star citizens

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 4, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

House of the Dying Sun ... doesnt *really* have a plot, but its a connected series of singleplayer scenarios.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Exciting news for Reclaimer pilots!? Maybe Salvaging is in at last??

Oh.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

elite dangerous has grind and content issues, but the basic gameplay of flying & fighting is Pretty Good™

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Don't a lot of games deliberately build delays into inputs to make netcode smoother? Maybe negative latency exploits that gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i guarantee the pitch for stadia was 'Spotify for Minecraft!'