Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Burns posted:

We already have an SC thread in GBS.

Yeah, it does not have the same fidelity and ambition though. Does that thread punch about its weight yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Forget about 3.7 or any other 3.X,

4.0 is officially the new Jesus patch!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477651964?t=42m06s

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

7 minutes 51 seconds

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

poo poo, posts are trippling every second.

fake e: Was than an Oxford comma or a poo poo comma?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

:lol:
Ah, the "design documents" -- actually it's Lando's air quotation marks, not mine, that he gestures when the question is first asked.

Were those the insane(ly long) ramblings that detailed mining and such, and promised ~dreams~ and clearly unfeasible stuff both in terms of complexity and in tediousness that they would result when translated to gameplay?

Those are apparently gone now, never to return. And also, apparently they now have way shorter documents about tier-0 implementation of their mechanics. Which of course they won't even discuss about releasing in public, because reasons I guess, in the most open development project ever.

Don't let the rubes know how much you dialed back the insanity and hurt their dream, as these particular crowd does not react well to that. No, leave it vague (which is why "tier-4" is casually mentioned, when their "tier-0"(!) is not even a thing for most of their mechanics and features).

Hold on, all those design documents were intextricably linked to a specific ship or high profile sale item. Mining ships, e-war ships, farming ships, etc Are the moneys CIG got also never to return to the backers who pledge them due to these design documents hype? Is CIG offering refunds for those? No? I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 7, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bayonnefrog posted:

Posting in this new Scam Citizen thread for posterity. I'll be here when the trial starts. ETA?

2 weeks

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

They sold that last year, it was the Kraken.

So what, they´ll now bring the carrier of carriers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Way back then when all this SC stuff was starting the topic of it killing EVE was a fun thread and banter maker. 8 years later, with SC still being poo poo, it is just cute and sad at the same time.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/tell-me-why

“Tell me WHY ???
Dear developers, I've absolutely no clue why is it so difficult to fix one simple bug - "Boxes falling through a ship", why I can't make a simple delivery because of that ? I've spent last 2,5 hours jumping from server to server, from region to region trying to find a working server-solution where I can start my courier missions, everytime I load to any server and try to put a box inside my Aurora it falls through the ship into the abyss, seriously?!?!?!?!, guys, please, tell me, WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED ?????????”

Response top pick:
“Having objects phase through other solid objects is an integral part of the Star Citizen experience. Imagine how boring the game would be if you weren't suddenly ejected from your ship while walking around!”

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Chris is too busy though, he's busy coding SSOCS late into the night. This was confirmed by people who talked to him at the exclusive dinner thingy.

Chris is the best coder ever, and always has been since he was a little girl.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

So new space court action on pacer? Basically pushing court back another 3 months?

90 days tops

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

Joint STIPULATION to Continue Trial and Related Dates from March 24, 2020 to June 16, 2020 filed by Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp., Roberts Space Industries Corp.(Goldman, Jeremy)
https://docdro.id/wFyO34L

Proposed Order
https://docdro.id/z8dM5PP

tl;dr: we need more time for discovery and code review because we did all these dumb motions and stuff.

:ohdear:

Joint stipulation filed only by defendant? Maybe signed by both?

e: nevermind

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 12, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Chris Roberts can do anything better than other game developers can!

e:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheDarkFlame posted:

The best part is the insistence on comparing the games by their scale alone, saying Skyrim would fit in a crater on a single moon and dumb poo poo like that. It fundamentally misunderstands what makes a game.
Skyrim is so big and broad that it's easy to lose direction and abandon what you were doing (the main quest chain, the civil war) so you can galavant around doing more interesting stuff (collecting godly artefacts, becoming a werewolf or an assassin, learning dragon shouts, building a house, basically the entire rest of the game). If you haven't explored enough the game will also routinely generate ambient quests directing you to places you haven't discovered to make you go there and find the real quest waiting in that area.
The setting has dozens of small points of interest like its villages, ruins, caves, most of which have some kind of sidequest or objective, an interesting feature, a purpose for the place to be there and a reason for the player to stop and interact with things. Each village has a handful of NPCs who will have some story and want you to do some minor thing for them, and the towns each have a number of places to investigate and characters to interact with, which will lead to bigger quests and unique rewards. So every area has some kind of content for the player to interact with (mostly through murder).
Any one of those villages has more actual playable content than Star Citizen's ten billion square miles of loving nothing.

That is all poo poo. Nowhere near the fidelity and ambition levels of Star Citizen. gently caress you.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

People will keep yelling that Chris messed it up, that a lot of the early work was just dumped for no good reason. They have no evidence for this, and it seems highly unlikely.

So SC development start 2010 then?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 15, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

You are wrong fucker. No Man´s Sky just proved it can be done. Sean Murray lies poo poo bag extraordinaire just pushed the VR button and voila.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Someone who reads this thread every day once tried to strangle (allegedly) Chris Roberts.

Surely that person does not have a platinum account then.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

Obviously untrue.
However, if it is true I reserve the right to later adjust my position as follows: This is actually good for Star Citizen and is a shrewd bargain because Sandi always looks like a million bucks.

Yeah, what is 100K for the best marketing person ever since she was a little girl? ROI in no time.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Here's some early staffing / contracting stuff:

STAFF NUMBERS (NOT INCLUDING CONTRACTORS):

CHRIS ON THE FULL NUMBERS:

Aug 2013 - 90 (50 staff, 40~ contractors) [and rising]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbI-tT0Zs-U&feature=youtu.be&t=14m29s

Oct 2013 - 110 (IE at Citcon. Approx 130-140 by this vid in Dec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc2ya7SRA3I#t=478s

June 2014 - 268 (approx half staff, half contract)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lhXDaHcvo&feature=youtu.be&t=5m45s

LIST OF EARLY CONTRACTORS:

Click this link for many more links...

No, you see, that is hosed up. CIG started with only 3 guys including Chris himself coding, so in reality, real development only started in 2018. Those other early contractor companies that worked for CIG in the early years do not loving count. You loving twat.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

That is fake. Where is blobber?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I am still catching up with the thread but that Guiness record does not show Elite, it shows DNF?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ah thanks, it looks like Guiness is wrongly treating the intent, or the statement about intention to start, as the actual start?

https://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zat/frontier.htm

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

So apparently CIG has swung back hard in the opposite direction on rental prices- a 1-day rental will now be 2% of the ship's total price or something like that.

An enterprising Citizen has calculated what that actually means for ship prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F56ZCKsh1JKYfvh6eQrwfyAvNifj2ShrQ7P4PDL2T-Q/edit#gid=0

If this goes live as-is, people will be able to check out any of the starter ships for less than one mission's full payout. Many of the 200+ dollar ships could be picked up with the equivalent of a couple of hours of work. To be honest, if it weren't for the PU resetting every 3 months, this would feel like a very good place for ship rental prices to be. Given how lazy Citizens are, I doubt it would even impact the ship store very much- most of them wouldn't think twice about dropping 500 bucks or whatever to avoid having to actually play the game for any length of time.

Presume CIG is doing this because they either have realised that jpg purchases are not sensitive to rental prices and have thrown the towel or precisely because they want to test how sensitive they are when citizens can get most ships without paying.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Looks like Montoya is branching out to sticky pop.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahaha every time I think I know how bad SC is, they surprise me and they're even worse

Elite is already everything SC could ever hope to be

Counterpoint: Elite sucks ergo SC is good.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

These weekly videos are not only tedious and awful to watch, they're just so pointless.

The point is to maintain the illusion of progress and thereby help whales rationalizing their sunk costs and not feeling too bad for their upcoming purchases. The actual topic or quality of the video is completely accessory.

E:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 27, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I-Novae devs (recently launched Infinity Battlescape) discuss in their Discord about Star Citizen:

:laffo:

Shots fired!

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 28, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

You can tell what the cult are scared of, or worried about, by what they project onto ED. From this we can tell this Cultist is worried that ED is actually released whereas SC is not, that ED is finished and actually playable in a way the game he loves is not, and that he's scared by the eternal alpha. So he retreats to saying no, ED is unfinished, SC is actually released, etc etc.

There is a very simple way to confront that kind of rationalization with reality: Point out that Elite has had full on game critics reviews on launch, the ones that are done to a released product, whereas SC has none.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Hmm.. i don't think its a good thing to have a bash at people simply for their appearances.

I'm pretty sure if we had a rogues gallery of people in this thread, we could take the piss out of their appearances, but it wouldn't be nice.

Its fair enough to take the piss out of people of the things they say and do, but let's not have a go at people for how they look. (unless they dress up as bunny man!). I mean, really, its not that good we take the piss out of Ben for his size, although that depends on how much of it is self-induced and how much of it is a medical condition. Regardless of which it is, he clearly now has a serious medical condition and probably doesn't have long left to live.

U FAT BRO?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hold on, the parasite helmet was not a joke either?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

holy loving poo poo 1 hour

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

What exactly was it that pushed Bootcha from a committed investor to making it his mission to exposing CIG?

Watch the first couple shows in his YouTube series.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beluga Snail posted:

drat, never thought I'd see the day.

I must have missed out, who is this Goemo dude again?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

He's Fandred, a commando that is slowly realizing that the game is a sham. Dude has the uncanny ability of being completely unable to get a point during discussion and, while he doesn't actually argue in bad faith (I think?), his arguments are often pretty much indistinguishable from that because he has actual, real brain issues (Dude like to talk about himself and will self-doxx instantly if you ask while he's not doing that well).

loving lol, it seems I have indeed missed out!

🙏 friend

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Wasnt the majority of the CIG dev staff nowadays based in the UK?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Thanks.

You could have just called me a dumb gently caress and told me i wasn't going to understand it and saved us both time :D

I can sense an avatar text change incoming!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

0/0 = 0⁰ = 1.
Let's fight.

poo poo. That is tucked up if true.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

The monthly report is out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17266-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-September-2019

I liked this part:

They are investigating the details to predefine something to setup what they will need to create the infrastructure to detect edge cases... 8 years in. Early days!

This is beyond parody.

That's it, that's all the gameplay you get, you locusts.

Staggered development yo!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

reverend crabhands posted:

0/0 = (1*0)/(1*0) = 1/1 = 1

Now that is hosed up and also wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

House of the Dying Sun ... doesnt *really* have a plot, but its a connected series of singleplayer scenarios.

Very XWing like.