Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Congrats to everyone on the new thread!

Can someone invite Chris Roberts? And unban Derek Smart? :smuggo:

rePool posted:

Here's to another decade of showing tojal how to be more positive.

:5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Nice! Reminds me of the robots in Screamers 2.

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, seeing how this thread has some inside knowledge, is there any consensus whether this was a scam from the start, or if they only turned it into one once they realized they had tapped into an endless money fountain?

I mean, I don't think the current state of SC can be explained with simple incompetence anymore. It's now laser-focused to string along backers and get them to pay a nice four figure sum every year, until the end of time.

Consensus is it didn't start out as a scam. But when crobo realized how much money he could raise, he switched to scamming marks.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

gently caress me sideways, they made screamers 2?

Also does star citizens have toilets on your ships?

It's all right. Not as good as the original.

As an alternative to shitposting about crobo having sexy time with sexy bears, check out the livestream of the Chandrayaan-2 moon landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZiJMW5AdHY

It should start in 30 min.

As per wikipedia, the cost for the project was "approximately US$141 million." Imagine that! You can build an actual lunar lander for 60% of the cost it took to develop crobo's lovely tech demo.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

trucutru posted:

The reactions to the commercial

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d0imqe/origin_890_jump_ship_commercial/

Lol, funding for this game is never going to stop.

I enjoy Star Citizen drama. I would even argue it provides more entertainment than many (most?) professionally produced entertainment projects - all for free!

But there are times when the citizens really make me lose faith in humanity. :saddowns:

Hasn't salvage been slipping every quarter for the past 10 quarters? :cheeky:

And still no real progress on SQ42 for months now.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Secret parallel build incoming! Any day now!

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 7, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Mr Fronts posted:

Here's a walk down memory lane - an original genuine RSI forum [Concern] thread from 2013...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14892/concern-game-complexity-detail-vs-alpha-release-nov-2014

:five:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Yeah but cutt88 (I am assuming that's the dude from oneangrygamer) is not representative of the wider SC fanboy population. In general, oneangrygamer is trash; it's not something any normal person ("gamer" or a person who plays video games) would approach seriously. SC fanboys care about "fidelity," crobo's word salad and other BS, not the ethnostate.

Alt-righters don't talk about pipelines and "the BDSSE." They are not into to some nerdy video game BS.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, there's always been a certain libertarian slant to the "space trader" genre- fundamentally it's looking at the wonders of an endless universe to which you have access, and thinking "man I could make a killing off of trading tungsten futures." Like, it's the easiest way to game-ify space exploration- have resources which you gather and use to trade for fuel, weapons, better ships, etc.- but there are times the genre really leans into "this is your job, get to working." This is enhanced by the hilariously bland Sharper Image aesthetic SC aims for- a bunch of fancy space yachts clearly targeting people with more money than taste.

Plus I get the feeling SC is specifically targeting the kind of independently wealthy types who spend lots of money on model trains, and the overlap between "affluent Boomers" and "Trump voters" is very large indeed.

I see where you are coming from, but IMO real "libertarians" don't deal with video games in general, or space sims specifically. They bribe governments to enable criminality, fund propaganda and so on.

Pick one of ~500 US billionaires; they are real libertarians. Fanboys of star citizen/crobo are at best wannabes.

Edit: taxxe:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 8, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

There is nothing to be gained from a no true scotsman argument about "real libertarians" comeon

this is literally a fallacy

Maybe you're right. Idk, I don't treat libertarianism as a real-life philosophy. IMO it's a PR strategy for well-connected criminals.

A similar example would be Russian oligarchs. Most Russians who support the government are not oligarchs; yet their actions and beliefs functionally reflect oligarchs values.

I am just saying that most star citizen fanboys (i.e. ones on spectrum + r/sc) are not into "the ethno-state" and other super weird poo poo. Most of them are into dumb video gaming BS. They are nostalgic for 90s/early 2000s gaming culture and they've taken this nostalgia to the nth degree. But they are not weird, hosed racists; at least not the majority of them.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

From the refunds subreddit:

https://www.newsweek.com/star-citizen-890-jump-release-design-price-super-yacht-1457621

newsweek.com posted:

Star Citizen, at its core, is a game about luxury. From its sometimes costly ships to its sprawling persistent cities, it's envisioned as a rich experience. The game's $300 million budget is funded by well over 1 million high-paying backers, so it's clear many members of this passionate community have no problem shelling out a few extra bucks to experience the finer side of life.
For those elite folks foday [sic] is a very special day, because the 890 Jump has finally made its way to Star Citizen's Persistent Universe. You'll have to pay a steep price to fly this Capital Ship yourself, but it remains a huge piece of the narrative behind Chris Roberts' evolving solar system.
"Like real-world super yachts this is a status thing. Nobody in their right mind would buy a super yacht as a practical boat to travel around in. It's completely impractical because of the size of it, but it does say 'I'm an affluent businessman and this is the status of my wealth and a reflection of how I've led my life.'
"Whilst we don't have the full breadth of multi-crew gameplay going with it, [the 890] brings a lot of choices people haven't had to make...I spend that time going to get it and going places, but I can tank all that pesky damage. If a little, annoying Hornet comes along and starts shooting at me, I don't care...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Purr Objectives posted:

Is this a game yet?

Nope, it's a buggy digital asset viewer.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

eonwe posted:

whats this game about

https://i.imgur.com/qo1zGn2.gifv

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Just went on CIG's website. They have massively overhauled the overall UX. Maybe just 12 months ago it was an unusable piece of poo poo. You couldn't even navigate to the main action point (give $$$ to crobo). They had that 3 pane thing with Star Citizen, SQ42 and some other poo poo.

One funny thing is that it reminds me a little bit of the UI in Deus Ex:

Here is their frontpage for comparison:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Don''t remember seeing this one at the end of the previous thread

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

3.5 years

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Some real groundbreaking research and not CIG bullshit:

Water found on most habitable known world beyond solar system

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Leaks about this year's CitizenCon based on some images from the SC Leaks discord.

Plz share the JPEGs.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I didn't save them, they were just screencaps of a file unpack that had a bunch of waypoints and scripts with revealing names.

Meanwhile in other dev shops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28MzVADeeI

Ah, I was hoping for a video of leaked build with Crobo singing "Dancing Queen" in the background.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Will we able to lock up crobo and strangli in one of their fancy cave-prisons?

Does the star citizen law system support crowdfunding fraud?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Anyone know why exactly Lesnik was removed from the public facing aspects of the project? Did he try and eat Strangli?

Answer the call: 2016!

A Dreamer sees the truth in the midst of his dream:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

CIG realized that this was a bad look, even if their backers didn't. Of course, they couldn't openly shitcan him for sharing his website full of racist, pedophile, stalker poo poo lest they alienate all the racists, pedos, and stalkers among their backers, so now he "works remotely" on a farm upstate

IMHO running a $200+ M scam is way worse than some degen website. But I can see how CIG thought this wasn't a "good look" purely from PR/agit-prop basis.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 14, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Indie dev 8 Circuit Studios spank Crobo on the rear end with a better spacesim/FPS hybrid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSffNRJaWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s049EopUbMY

In a pre-alpha state they seem to have a similar (if not better) level of gameplay to what CIG "achieved" in 8 years and $200+ M wasted.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Even by star citizen standards, that's some batshit insane word salad. SQ42 will definitely be "massive" - a massive disappointment (at best).

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Anyone want to help me develop a new game called Scam Crowdfunder Tycoon (also know as SC Tycoon).

It will be a business sim where the main challenge will be to keep maintaining crowdfunding revenue for an indefinite period.

Something like "Mad Games Tycoon" or "Game Dev Tycoon" but instead of real games you make fake demos, 3D assets and some other BS. There will also be a "send money to Swiss Bank" game mechanic like in the original Tropico.

Prawned posted:

Hello my fellow fart shitizens, are they still making squadron 42 or did they give up on that?

They are "making" it.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Hav posted:

Space bike?

https://imgur.com/0zShdnj

Lordy, i hope it’s not the cosplay - https://youtu.be/BWLVI_mnn2I

That's awesome! Check out the weird laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWLVI_mnn2I&t=143s

Bonus:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 17, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

r/spaceshipinstagram :yarg:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WTF was that? Does S1rmunchalot understand what he writes? Or is he one of those prose writing bots?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

It's hilarious that the cultists approach purchases of pre-release DLC/jpegs almost as a hobby. They don't even know what CIG will announce:

Note: they are talking about this ship/jpeg ad:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

This is the kind of stuff that makes me believe we need a marxist-leninist revolution where private enterprise is only allowed on a case by case basis. Why the gently caress do people buy into low-effort marketing/agit-prop? It remind me of the USSR. It's like modern variant of 80s hyper-normalization; we all deep down know this is all BS, yet we continue to buy into things to not go crazy.

And this is not unique to CIG, this applies to pretty much all major companies. Just the other day, on another resource, someone mentioned how they think that Tim Cook is one of the most ethical CEOs of our times. WTF? He doesn't give a poo poo about anything except $$$ and stroking his own ego. If Apple could get away with it, they would happily sell a Nokia 3310 variant (with bill of materials of $25) for $3000. They don't give gently caress about innovation, design, UI or UX; they only care about ROI.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Lladre posted:

I missed something, what's all this about costumes? did they make cosplay costumes for their staff?

CIG is doing a pivot towards collectible digital costumes.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Crobo just poo poo out a ISC video about FPS minin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTvAUuHJrg

It's hilarious how low level all this stuff is. The original Witcher had a more sophisticated "collectibles" system. Hell, Underrail, a Fallout 2 style RPGs, does way more with collectibles than SC.

EDIT: taxxe

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 19, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Popete posted:

Also lol you break apart a rock and it scatters into individual "gems" which you have to painstakingly pick up one by one and stow into your inventory.

I couldn't believe this part. It's almost as if Crobo and Strangli don't play video games and have no idea what gaming is about. :mmmhmm:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Yellow and black RP session. I believe this "content" is subscriber only. Even BoredGamer, a committed CIG shill/propgandist mentioned this particular "coincidence."

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Grubby Hobo posted:

Those were sort of easy, but Best Lie will be really hard.

This is sort of related to best imaginary feature, but maybe Crobo's statement about 10K users (or whatever it was) in a single instance would work. Or even the whole server meshing BS. None of that stuff (as presented by CIG) is even conceptually possible with current tech.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

SabinBlitz posted:

Jesus Christ it’s actually on there. I thought you made that poo poo up.

God drat. I also didn't realize this was actually on there.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Quavers posted:

What Sandi feared the most from her staff not shaving: crabs have infested the project! :ohdear:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I know everything about this game sucks poo poo but seriously what the gently caress is up with this interface, it gets worse with every iteration. I just... I have zero idea what it is you're supposed to be controlling for with these sliders.

It's almost like they are trying too hard to make a "modern," pseudo-minimalist design.