Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hi, for all of the new people in this thread, I'd like to state for the record that Star Citizen is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Citizens call this hacked together Cryengine Mod the best looking PC game ever.

Here's the highest fidelity pizza stand in all the 'verse.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:five:

I was just playing the remastered version of Bioshock and thinking about Chris Roberts, but I don't have any Photoshop skills.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The question is how can someone that insane have that much money to throw around on a toy?!?!?! I would love to know... drat If I had 50k to spare I would have dropped out of work and taken months to travel the world and stay in the most luxurious intercontinental hotels and enjoy the high life and amazing scenery and 5 star food etc.... !!!! I would have spoilt myself like a king with that money!

Clifford has some decent engineering job and probably makes low six figures, but he’s lived in a series of hovels and spends all his money on video game spaceships, weeb poo poo, and exploitively overpriced PC gaming crap designed to fleece nerds. Sadly he’s not even the biggest whale, rumors abound of people into this mess for well over 100k.

The prime demographic of Star Citizen whales are 40 something upper middle class men with some decent tech industry job, who still feel that they haven’t achieved the power and success they deserve. They’ll pretend that the money they're spending is pocket change, but really it’s money they need to be saving and investing.

But they’ve been sold on the fantasy that Star Citizen will be a simulation of unprecedented depth and detail in which they will be important and powerful spacemen. Hence you have something like the giant space yacht that serves no gameplay function nor has gameplay designed for it. It’s a glorified digital penis.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 7, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is he also the bunny ears cosplay guy?

No, our boy Ciff roleplays a big tiddy anime school girl on VR Chat and streams it all to a bizarre community of weebs.

I'd say more, because it gets much worse from there, but I'd need to be certified psychiatrist to properly deconstruct it.

Star Citizen is like a parody of modern nerd culture gone off the loving rails in every way imaginable, but it's all real and all much worse than any comedy writer could possibly imagine.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 7, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

Kinda weird so many notice the big tiddys and ignore the tentacles-for-legs. I mean, let me tell you what Cliff's priorities are...

You know, I think I just don't want to see it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The hand on the tiller has been really evident this last week:

* The biggest of the big whales were mollified by their literal actual 300 dollar microwaved-potato dinner with Chris. The dumb minelayer ship opened up a new "Tactical" conversation among the idiots who still think this game has an actual design document, and a new big thing to buy if you want to P2W.

* The big "Come to Jesus" conversation video where the developers admitted (indirectly) that they suck at everything, and they need to change the roadmap yet again, scrapping virtually every milestone and goal they had set for themselves through the end of next year. This was extremely cathartic for the angry citizens who want to believe- look, the company can be honest with us, even though their honesty reveals their total incompetence at every aspect of development! It was also the final straw for a bunch of fence sitters, who are now just gone. Another wave of customers driven off and yet their funding never drops.

* The 3.6.1.7 or whatever patch was released from the PTU to the PU, which means virtually nothing because the only thing that was in it was a ship that costs 1000 actual dollars. Every other feature including in-game ship rentals was cut, but the excitement of having a new thing you can buy will overwhelm the remaining Citizens for a couple of days.

* The hype for the big ship was turned up to eleven. Ironically you are going to see a lot fewer organic posts about it now, because on the PTU everyone who logged in could try it, and from now on it will be restricted to buyers, and nobody who plays the game bought one of these loving things because it's a gold plated turd. But that doesn't matter on the subreddit- what matters is the level of hype and testimonials and "Architect reviews" and RP firefight re-enactments and video after video after video about how many spaceships your strained and red-rimmed ship hangar can possibly have crammed into it. Then they hit them with a commercial- amazing! Wow! Never been done before!

I don't think this momentary high is going to last. It's the thrill of dropping a bajillion dollars on a big purchase, but regret is going to set in faster and faster. This thing is useless, you can't even fly it in-game without racking up unbelievable expenses. The game itself has made zero progress in the last 9 months except new spaceships, and they just turned around and promised that it won't make any progress in the next 9 months, either. Citizens always lose their minds over new spaceships but I think they're building up a tolerance- small poo poo like the rocket truck doesn't phase them anymore. The minelayer was met with a big wave of derision at first. They had to do a one-two punch of the biggest ship they've released so far, and the annual apology tour video, and I still think we'll be back to anger before Citizencon in November.

It’s pretty hilarious that they finally disavowed all of the design documents for ships/professions that they’ve had sitting on their website for years. The ones that promise whole entire games worth of mechanics and content for things like passenger transport. Of course I haven’t seen a single Citizen bat their eyes over it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

monkeytek posted:

I don't get why they use this example to brag about how amazing the game is. I mean it sounds like an extremely small zone with very limited interaction.

There was a a lot of disappointment among the Citizenry when it launched. They had dreamed for years that CIG's amazing procedural planet tech would generate limitless playable areas with millions of life-like NPCs generating endless amounts of game play content. They would spend hours on Reddit arguing about which planet would be their video game forever home.

Hurston and ArcCorp launched to a pretty big thud and much of what's left of the community is still wallowing in that disappointment. But the Cultists will still shout them down and claim that everything in still "early days" and "tier-o" and all their dreams will come true in current year plus two.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Like you can twist yourself in knots trying to say development REALLY started in current year minus three, but that just makes the project look even worse. It means they blew through 100+ million dollars "building a company" and "refactoring" with almost nothing to show for it.

Of course the reall answer is that Chris went wild right of the gate blowing millions on mocaping A-list actors and outsourced most of the development to third party studios; and most of the work had to be thrown out due to poor oversight. He didn't spend four years picking out office furniture at IKEA.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 12, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

eonwe posted:

is there a goon guild for this game yet

Yes, just mail $3,000.00 in cash to an address in the Cayman Islands that I will PM you, and you’re in commando!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sad I missed out on the closure. Not sad that I can get in at the ground floor again. How does a $4k for cyber sound?

Also, anyone else looking forward to Q1/Q2 of 2020? I am.

I'm really excited for the annual CitCon apology and expectation management tour brought to us by CIG's angel investors and new partial owners the Calders.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

There has been so much sleaze and broken promises pouring out of CIG over the years, that I fear even Bootcha’s upcoming 7 volume tome of Star Citizen history won’t be able to fully account for it all.

I didn’t even know that monthly videos featuring Chris were an explicit stretch goal.
:lol:

But of course all good Citizens know that we have always been at war with East Asia.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Who told them about our top secret anti-Star Citizen Discord?!

Looks like we need another round of purges. I'll convene the Central Committee at once!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

They had good experinced experienced people, comming to work on this exciting new project, who tell Chris that something he was asking for can't be done or they needed to focus on something full like sever architecture and Chris would wave his hands and tell them he could do it, make the pixel green. shortly after they were fired or moved on.

Some of them did whole packages of work that were impressive, sound systems, physics models ect they were just never incorporated into a game.

So many pro's just don't understand game development.

The Citizens always block those early days out of their mind with the mantra of “Chris was just building a company, development really didn’t start until 3 years ago.” They will never admit that a lot of work was being done by Chris’ early team of industry pros and even more was being outsourced to third party studios; most of which was never used. All the while millions of dollars were being blown.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Space Court isn't entirely boring. My favorite part was when the cult theorycrafted whether or not the judge would compromise her work ethic because her dad something something space, therefore she'd see the incredible things CIG was trying to do. The arrogance was staggering - the fact that they equate Chris Roberts's brain-fart with some kind of monumental advancement in our understanding and appreciation of space exploration - and that their failed-model viewer is so incredible that a US judge would literally sacrifice her job to defend it.

Peak Space Court was the group of Citizens writing letters to the Judge about how amazing Chris’ vision is and imploring her to dismiss the case.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Paladinus posted:

A question. Is the game going to be 3D?

Star Citizen is a 2D scrolling multiplayer text-based adventure forum and social media simulator of unprecedented fidelity. You’re playing it right now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SecretDevBuild.txt

Yes, through all of the waves of spectacular failures and backer attrition, CIG has chosen to hide the fact that they have dozens of highly detailed Star Systems already completed.

This and the fever swamp dream that CIG is making AI of unprecedented complexity that is decades out of reach of even tech giants like Google, are my favorite parts of the Star Citizen Catechism.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I prefer to take auteur theory to its logical conclusion and believe that the greatest art is the inane, unfocused, and enenjoyable bullshit that creators get up to when they're surrounded by yes men.

For every Stanley Kubrick there are a dozen George Lucases. Everyone wants to believe that great art springs fully formed from the minds of singular geniuses, but like most of modern society, video games and film are huge collaborative projects involving hundreds of people. A good creator usually provides the initial creative energy and direction, and then brings onboard and manages a team of professionals who flesh it all out. The original Star Wars had the input of Coppola, Spielberg, Marcia Lucas and many others who salvaged it from being a complete dumpster fire many times over.

I don’t have much experience with Kojima’s games outside of the PC version of MGS5, which I really enjoyed. From what I’ve seen of him and the DS promo material, he seems like the Stephen King of video games, fully of interesting and weird ideas, but somewhat lacking in the skill and discipline to fully pull them off in a satisfying way.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

Renting the mining ship for 7 days costs 865k UEC:

That's half the price of outright buying the ship in-game, at 1.6m UEC.

Better than spending $140 though :shrug:

But renting is in! And you FUDsters can’t say SC is pay to win anymore, eventhough every good ship is locked behind an impossible grind unless you donate more money to the Crobbler.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The only person who cares about the Valkyrie is the guy they paid last year to relentlessly shill it on stream.

It is a dropship in a game without troops, without sites to drop onto, without any mechanics related to the idea of combat landings and hot zones. It has door guns- there is not a single NPC in the game that you might ever shoot with one. It has turrets- to my knowledge no human being has ever achieved a kill in one of them. It has a big ramp and a loading bay for getting in formation while a twitch streamer shouts at you in RP milspeak, and that alone seems to be the only thing that keeps it going for Rexzilla.

I for one have been tirelessly searching for a game in which I can stand at parade rest in the cargo bay of a space Chinook, and have some gamer bro hyped up on Red Bull shout mil-sim nonsense to me for 25 minutes. It's the cornerstone of any good modern space-sim.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Crobberts new ship is flying pretty close to the sun:

As always the Citizenry celebrates CIG's complete lack of creativity and artistic integrity.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s funny to see at what points Citizens will draw the line at and finally get angry at CIG. This registers at about a 1 on the Crobbler Scale of Sleaze.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Culinary spaceship coming soon. Got to feed all of those hungry commandos after that 1000 player battle. Only $750, pledge now!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I can't wait for Tom to take me to Space Court over the bad things I've said about the failed tech demo he bought thousands of dollars worth of imaginary spaceships for. Being down-voted and losing your fake internet points for going on unhinged rants defending the company that is scamming you is definitely a horrible injustice and the most vile form of slander.

Do any of you know a good lawyer who accepts payment in Reddit Karma?

After that, I just need to try to get the trial moved to a district where the judge isn't a huge Star Citizen fan like the one in the CryRekt case.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 3, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the problem with starship troopers is that you cant just make a straight up propaganda flick, right down to the peaceniks deservedly dying, and expect that the target audience of teenage boys understand that its a satire or parody at all. Like the only way Starship Troopers is a satire is if you go into it with both a clear intellectual understanding of nazi propaganda and contempt for it. To the extent most people understood the satire, it was only at the level of the kids smashing the bugs being over the top. Even though that wasn't over the top it was literal portrayal of a mobilized fascist society.

and thats how we get star citizens

The movie probably plays it a bit too straight for most people, compared to RoboCop which is more of an over the top dark comedy. I never really got it until I watched it again as an adult. The satirical elements are all there, but the tone is inconsistent and the plot mainly devolves into generic sci-fi action.

So now you have idiots like Chris who straight up love the movie and idolize the sort of mobilized soft-fascist/state-capitalist society it portrays. Human society in Star Citizen is basically a dystopia run by an exploitative fascist oligarchy, but it’s bizarrely played off as being this cool and good thing, and everyone just loves being lorded over by gigantic monopolistic corporations; because Chris has the political consciousness of a 12 year old.

I guess it’s one of the reasons that SC attracts so much of the neckbeared paunchy gen X alt-right edgelord crowd.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 4, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hav posted:

Hmmm? I was mowing the lawn, what’s up?

I was just saying how awesome you guys are and that Star Citizen’s lore is right, your kind will control everything in the future.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

tooterfish posted:

So, America?

Pretty much, but without the thin veneer of freedom and all of the withered and vestigial institutions of democracy lying around.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Drunk Theory posted:

I've been watching hot cave action for the last hour.

I really don't understand how anyone can be excited about this.

NMS has caves and is a real game. Star Citizen now has caves and therefore must be a real game. Checkmate FUDsters!

Seriously though it’s one of the things that the Citizenry always asked for, back at the height of their belief that Star Citizen would be some sort of fully fledged sci-fi reality that they could live inside. For the few remaining cultists, it proves in their deranged minds that SC will have all of that depth and detail someday, even though we’re sitting at around 1% of the promised content approaching year 8 of development.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dark Off posted:

:siren: https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/09/shroud-of-the-avatar-changes-hands-as-portalarium-transfers-assets-to-catnip-games/ :siren:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/catnip-games-acquires-shroud-of-the-avatar.159409/

Shroud of avatar's story is over and its kind of hilarious ending. Because it leaves backer investors on dry.

If this is successful approach surely star citizen will follow it as well once funding dries up.

:lol:

I can’t wait for Star Citizen to be bought out someday by Hobo Lando Space Enterprises.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

There have been many peak Star Citizen moments, but for me one of the greatest will be the "let's buy the code and run private instances" attempts and petitions. Bonus points for the fact that once CIG goes tits-up, nobody will "acquire" the code base because it's worthless and broken, so it will just disappear into the air along with the dismantled SAN arrays when the material assets are auctioned off or destroyed. There will be nobody to petition. The humor score will triple every second when backers attempt to contact Crytek for the code base CIG first started on so they can replicate "StarEngine"'s development themselves.

Yeah I said it a lot in the old thread, but I think a lot of the hardcore Citizens will never be able to give up the game fully. There will be mod projects/privately run servers for years, maybe even a kickstarter for some full fledged fan-led revival.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's more like, in Stadia's case, since your local machine doesn't do anything, EVERYTHING is affected by latency. Imagine playing COD and trying to just AIM with input lag, let alone land accurate headshots. The idea they could execute any sort of prediction of what you might do in that scenario is laughable. Will it predict which direction you move the camera? Will it predict when you're going to shoot? Are you just going to fire your gun every time you aim at an enemy? Will the firing animation play, and then "take back" the shot if you didn't actually do it?

I imagine the reason they chose Assassin's Creed for the demo of Stadia is because it's a game that doesn't need precision aiming and already has significant input lag, so a little more wouldn't be noticed. There's actually people that think that Stadia will be viable for VR, which is laughable. Any input lag with VR is vomit city.

I’ve been trying out the Shadow streaming service on my laptop for a few months now. Unlike Stadia you are renting a virtual gaming pc running on a remote server, so you can play any game in your existing library. For the most part it works well, but it’s still basically in an Alpha state and has a lot of kinks.

Latency is definitely an issue in multiplayer FPS games, and I don’t think that can ever be fully resolved. I have a 100 mbps internet connection and Battlefield V is basically unplayable and in Apex Legends it’s very difficult to aim to properly.

Single player games are mostly fine, but there are some graphical issues due to the compression of the stream, like colors being washed out and a general graininess like in YouTube videos.

It’s a fine stopgap for me right now, since I sold my gaming rig, but I can’t say it’s a viable full replacement for your own hardware. Overall I think all of the companies piling on this bandwagon are going to face the exact same technical issues that they faced during the last big streaming gold rush in 2012-2013.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 10, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Chris Roberts is now worth over 30m USD, excluding any shares or valuations of CIG
  • this makes him the richest crowd funded CEO ever, and "the highest paid games CEO that hasn't released a product"
  • Sandi Roberts has invested in or opened her own production studio (couldn't get a biz name so ???)
  • it supposedly aims to "produce and distribute films in touch with modern events, including feminist, LGTBQ and gender issues"
  • Erin Roberts now worth upwards of 10m USD
  • massive payouts to Roberts family and top execs occurred simultaneously with "several large investments" in 2017, 2018 and June 2019
  • Chris recently re-upped contract with close partners and family members (???)
  • "abysmal" working conditions continue, but with no end in sight for the crunch
  • "These are their lives. They are going to spend the majority of their twenties working 60 and 70 hour weeks, just so executives can hit their bonuses. I cannot be more disgusted with how our crunch is handled."
  • turnover continues at a rapid pace: "We need developers loving like rabbits and producing happy, subservient baby developers to keep up with everyone getting the gently caress out."
  • special parties, bonuses or vacations given to certain employees (no reasons given): "It has caused a huge rift; there is an enormous amounts of backstabbing and bus-throwing to get that prize."
  • and well, this: "Shut the gently caress up, Jared. We are unprepared? We are unprofessional? How you've managed to hold on to your job has to be some sort of devil's bargain. The pained groans that come from realising we are scheduled to appear with you are matched only by torture and child birth. PLEASE get the gently caress out and find a job you can handle without trying to gently caress over everyone more competent than you."

Beautiful.

That last bit about Lando is prefect. You can see it happen in real time in their own videos. A talentless and insecure little twerp of a man endlessly inflicting himself on his co-workers in order to massage his own ego.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello part 2 (from someone waaaaay different)
  • internal planet build of Earth has taken thousands of man hours but "worth it"
  • land claims first to debut in the Sol/Home/Domus system: "Stake your claim on Earth, the moon, Mars and beyond."
  • prices for land claims will increase "massively"
  • build fortified bunkers, farms, population towers, player usable banks/stores and planetary defenses
  • "It isn't ready, but it will be ready very quickly after we show it. This groundwork is half a decade in development."
  • player controlled orbiting rest stops, cafes (the gently caress), fueling stations and defense platforms all planned for sale
  • "Chris wanted something never seen before and that's an Earth that is completely open to exploration."
  • "As we strive for realism and fidelity, these parcels of land will eventually be worth much more than their cost."

Oh god I hope this is all true, and is shown off in a flashy demo at CitCon. The Citizenry would go ape poo poo and literally throw their money at the Crobbler’s feet. Spectacular new heights of whale milking is one of my few remaining wishes for this mess.

But I just find it hard to believe that they really have anything in the tank (no matter how unfinished/broken), other than the pathetic “progress” like a new hair pipeline that they’ve been showing in their videos all year. They have been hunkered down in survival/expectation management mode. To come out swinging like this with Chris’ old scope busting swagger would be a massive change in direction.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 11, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The wave function of dreams is collapsing into a well defined particle of poo poo.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

A fun anecdote to contemplate the next time some commando trots out that “they were setting up the new studio for two loving years” bullshit. A boss at my work quit about two months ago to found a tech startup with a partner. It was an idea that they’d been wanting to try and get off the ground for years. In the two months since my boss left they have:

- Secured financing
- Moved into an office space
- Furnished the office, purchased hardware, licensed software, etc.
- Retained legal counsel, and contracted financial and HR specialists
- Started writing their software
- Started hiring

I assume they’re wizards or possibly satanists.

Chris also outsourced a huge amount of work to outside studios in the those early years. Not only did CIG have around 100 employees by the end of the first year, hundreds of other people were working on Star Citizen by then, and most of that work had to be thrown out due to poor planing and the lack of oversight.

Also games often have lengthy pre-production phases in which small teams lay the groundwork while a studio focuses resources on other more mature products. So most of those “10 year long” dev cycles they love to cite, are inflated with years of initial design work being done by a dozen or so people; and since Star Citizen still hasn’t even been designed yet after 7 years, the comparison is doubly ironic.

But yeah, it’s early days commando! Chris is still picking out office furniture at an LA area IKEA as we speak.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 13, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Viscous Soda posted:

:lol: Watch the video in the linked bug report, the bug seems to make you immune to the airlock "kill zone". They just cannot seem to stop naked men from running around in space.

My favorite bug... or uhm emergent gameplay I experienced in the last free fly back in the spring, was when I awoke in my wank pod at Olisar but the game thought I was in space and naked, so my commando immediately died of asphyxiation even though he was wearing a full spacesuit and helmet. His corpse then ceremoniously clipped through the floor into actual space while Scotty played the bagpipes.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pulsarcat posted:

I've been reading the various Star Citizen threads for a few years now, basically just popping in now and then and skimming some posts to see what the latest nonsense is, because trying to follow these threads leads too madness.

And while I've sometimes felt the urge to finally post here I've never done it, until now, this post right here broke me

I couldn't believe it, I thought it had to be some running gag, so I went too Google, typed in "Star Citizen H" and was delighted when it auto completed the word heart attack.
I so a clicked a video, and watched a montage of a streamer dropping dead every time he sprinted a few feet, and I just started laughing.

Who, who thought this was a good idea? Why wasn't a sprint metre or simple stamina system good enough?
This kind of crap would be unacceptable in a survival game, so why add this too a shooter/space game?

I love this game so much.

You have to understand that in the early years when money began pouring into the project, Chris would get on camera at least once a week and fan the flames of backers dreams more and more.

Eventually the pitch for Star Citizen went beyond simply a game to become an all-encompassing simulation of life in space, through which neckbeardes could live out all of their sci-fi fantasies fully and forever. So naturally your spaceman would have all sorts of bodily functions fidelitously modeled in the game, including personal hygiene, eating/drinking and urination/defecation.

The heart attack mechanic is the only one of these that they have managed to put into the game, and it has of course been hilariously broken for years now. But Citizens still fantasize and theorycraft about them, right down to what spaceship has the best bathroom facilities.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sedisp posted:

I am utterly baffled by this. Assuming they can even make meaningful and interesting jobs out of "nurse" and "ship maintenance" which is already theory crafting so nebulous it beggars the most ludicrous of thought experiments how do you make a group of people give a gently caress about this?

Do you get a portion of a mission's credits? Is it entirely up to the captain? How do you stop playing? Do you all have to synchronize logging out? If all these jobs are critical to the working of a ship what happens if someone needs to go on vacation or just takes a week off of playing? Do they still get paid? Won't bots just immediately be a superior option? Even if they don't work as well as people they will literally always be available.

If multi-crew ever makes it into the game, it will be a perfect storm of broken, rudimentary and boring, to the point that no one will ever want to be a crew member. “Press F to keep the engines from overheating” oops the ship spontaneously blew up anyway.

NPC crews still only exist as concept art in year 7 and I don’t think CIG has even mentioned them more than once in the past year; plus CIG can’t even get background characters to walk a scripted path around a room, so I think it’s safe to say that they are not anywhere on horizon.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

Reminds me that I need to choose a new GPU to replace an aging 980 strix in my old rig. I should probably upgrade the old 6600k too, but it seems to still do the job.

Any GPU suggestions anyone?

It depends on the resolution and frame rate you are targeting. Something in the GTX 2060 range (or AMD equivalent) will get you max settings at 1080p and 60fps and is even good for most games at 1440p. A 2070 would be a little more future proof for 1440p. For 4K and/or higher frame rates you’ll need a 2080 or 2080Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen is 100% invisible in the wider world of video games at this point

Yeah the sum total of people who regularly follow this mess, including the cultists and the hundred or so goons laughing at them is in the low five figures.

It’s a subset of a small group of a niche far removed from mainstream gaming. Citizen “influencers” like Montoya with his sub 5000 view videos want to believe that SC is on the tips of gamer’s tongue as they wait for Chris to save the industry, but it’s been almost universally written off as a scam and then forgotten about. The 3.0 debacle killed off almost all of the mainstream interest.