Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I've been lurking this thread for years, years before I officially joined. Mostly reading it for lols because the content was just that great. Never felt the need to comment until now. Thing is, I saw some new concept art for space whales in /r and everyone was hyped based on a single cool jpg, when suddenly.... i remembered: long time ago there was a SC video with a huge sandworm that was supposed to be a big deal. Everyone was hyping it. My friend was hyping it, too. Tried to make me a supporter(failed miserably) So, I wanna ask you thread people familiar with CIG lore: What happened to that worm? It has vanished completely from the public consciousness. Where is it? Where is the worm, Chris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Oh yes, this was the stuff I was looking for! Thank you, everyone!

With this info, I am finally ready to buy an Idris

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I can't comprehend the desire to have multiple players to operate one ship. From design-point it's a doomed cause: what do when there are jobs no-one wants to do a la tank/healer because the tasks are repetitive and may feel forced? When you are a lonely gently caress whose social interactions are limited to global chat reactions? In a game where random groupings just can't and won't happen because what is instancing? Ooor, what will happen if one of the people accidentally (but inevitably) desyncs/logs out? What tools are there for the team when one of the players starts griefing? Or the common issue of npc AI being completely useless and unable to perform even the simplest of group-tasks almost in every game ever?

I know the answer to these is by now: CIG has already figured out everything, just you wait, nonbeliever. The kind of wishful game design these people show is just .... just.... why? Have these people who wish these kind of design traps ever played with other people? What is it that they see that I'm missing?

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The Titanic posted:

So what you're missing here is that all this was designed not around being a video game, but around being a movie.

So while your bridge crew is doing a hot battle, your fighter pilots are swapping in and out and taking showers between missions and eating at the fidelity mess hall while the ship rocks from explosions.

In a movie, there's lots of background characters doing stuff. Cleaning rooms, fixing broken stuff, to have that rain of welding sparks shower over a scene where your scrappy pilots are holding a briefing in their room on a TV showing the action as it fizzes in and out.

All of SC has been designed around having "these moments".

The problem here is that players aren't out to make sure you capture those dramatic moments. They're going to shoot until the other player goes boom. They're probably not going to "lose you" because you went behind an asteroid to lick your wounds. They'll just also go around the loving asteroid and continue to shoot you.

So what you have SC doing is trying to build all of these ancillary, pointless things for people to do for dramatic moments that never make sense in an actual video game.

Not to mention they are bad at making these moments in anything but a cinematic prerendered YouTube video.

They want every fight to be Han Solo in the asteroid field evading the Star destroyers and having all that drama.

I kinda get the movie sentiment. I've done roleplaying in mmorpgs where your character was usually a template for your class and race, but then as a player you tried to breathe some life to everything by giving your avatar a backstory (and usually a speech impediment to stand out). You were a thespian and the entire game was your stage. You would play as your character would play and encounter other figures who wanted to treat you as part of their story. It was fun most of the time... However, even there I remember the moments of absolute boredom: not enough other players to interact with your character; the repetition; it was the same five idiots who you were talking to as "random encounters" from a day to next; the artificiality of it all as players clustered to few well known social hubs and stayed there; no spontaneous encounters ever happened anywhere outside those few social hubs. You took what you had and it worked because the game you were playing was fun. however here... Most games get that transitions or traveling are fun only the first time you do it. Heck, movies rarely show traveling anywhere if doesn't belong to the narrative. Chris doesn't seem to realize that there's repetition, there's all the in-between spaces, theres tons and tons of stuff that is part of immersion, but isn't meaningful once you've done it once.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I mean, the movie mentality shows. I remember seeing the squadron 42 tour thingie from ages ago and it was weird. Everything is paced to be slow. The players follow NPC dialogue and never skip any scenery. The scenes are there to be looked atbut nothing feels interactive. Everyone and everything feels busy and nothing seems like you'd be doing anything there. The camera follows the instructions and everything is mind-numbingly boring.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

Not related to gaming, but this part made me think of a pet peeve of mine. You ever see a TV show where the main characters are constantly driving all over the place, one of them has something to tell the other one that's super critical, and the other guy says "no time, we have to get to X" and no more is said about it until they step out of the car some 1500 miles away. You didn't have time to explain during that 24 hour journey you just had?

But that's actually the point. The drive isn't something you want to watch for 24 hours, and they intentionally do this to extend the drama. Star Citizen is a game about only the drive and nothing else.

It's 1971's The Duel but without the truck.

My friend told they like to listen to radio and read books while traveling in SC. Said it "brings a new angle to the entire experience".

...it blew my mind

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

There's an actual game to be played in CP 2077

All the cars are bought with in-game cash

Absolutely shameful

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I'm suggesting we rename the thread - Video Games> Star Citizen: the Starfield thread - to honor all the Citizens for finally having their dream game come true after all the years.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:frogout: don’t you dare touch that title yet

This inclusion of some titles over others is pure politics! Politics in a gaming thread!

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Thing is, the reason MonocleCat keeps producing huge essays full of almost- comprehensible nonsense , is because it is actually an AI coded by Croberts. Fully emergent behavior! Explains why it seems to be doing nothing else: It has no actual life or needs, so of course it is writing non-stop.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

It requires a certain kind of compulsory mind-set to be forced to spend all one's free time typing walls of word salad defending a decade old game that does not exist. Is the kind of brain that def is not having fun and sure as hell can't quit

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The release of Star Citizen shouldn't be confused with your regular game release. It is not a game, it is a tool. What happens next is members begin using that tool to build the games they want. There is no one "the" star citizen, but millions and millions of them, just like players! Of course the world is empty, it is your mission to fill it with your game! A game world containing a million games!! BUY IDRIS

...I think I passed out for a moment. What happened? Who wrote that?

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Ngl, the vid managed to fool me. I think there is some innovation being discovered here. Is it worthy of praise? Time will tell, and we are only one decade in, lol.

What I want next is for actual real game devs who make actual games to steal this tech and make something actually practical with it - instead we got: 700 million spent on buggy doors that can't even kill you 100% of the time. Coming soon! - witness your friend sliding off the face of earth in real time when you press the elevator button! Watch as their mesh-bones take on individual trajectories after being hit by a space-bullet - now without lag. New collision-less adventures await!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Oh I know the answer to this!

Ez, it's like in Star wars: the last jedi where they use the space warp against the First Order dreadnought - except in this case the warping object isn't your ship, it's your game and the dreadnought is your computer.