Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Randalor posted:

Wait, Shroud of the Avatar was actually released? Am I understanding that correctly? I remember hearing about the initial kickstarter, then it just kinda fell out of the news. I figured it just kinda died with a whimper.

Release date of like 5 years ago on Steam! I don't know if it was free-to-play then but it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Unrealistic in that it's very high quality and has had a frankly ridiculous (in this day and age) amount of time to polish and work on everything because Larian does not have whip-cracking shareholder masters pushing everything to make Number Go Up in the short-term, while still having the resources of a sizable, established company. So they're in a pretty golden spot for BG3's quality to be realistic for them, that a lot of others are not. But people don't think in those terms, be it consumers or shareholders, so a lot of devs outside of Larian are not unreasonably worried about it setting even more unattainable standards that tend to lead to even more burnout and rushed failures.

CIG doesn't have a loving excuse to say anything either way, though. I'm talking about actual game devs and not whatever the hell these guys even are anymore.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fil5000 posted:

How do any of you read his posts without your eyes unfocusing and your brain sliding out of your ears

My brain can't decide which ear to slide out of, unfortunately.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I need to rewatch the WC movie. I saw it on the big screen when it came out, but the only things I remember are:
1) the bulldozer scene, mostly due to memes
2) the Kilrathi looking more like hairless cats instead of big cool lion dudes, but with a neat touch that their subtitles started with their lines showing up in what was meant to be their writing before being overlaid by English

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Timby posted:

I can assure you that you most certainly do not.

I remember going on a first date to Wing Commander when it came out in March 1999.

There was not a second date.

I've been on a terrible movie kick. Either this will feed me, or maybe it'll break me of the habit. Win/win!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Much like everything else with Star Citizen, the fanfiction is whatever you wish to imagine in it. With even less pesky "canon" to appeal to than normal fanfic has to go through!

This is why even SC fanfiction is doomed to be a stale empty pile of crap, of course.

edit: Only occasionally leavened with clumps of disturbing psychosis, of course.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Randalor posted:

Count Dooku

If SC could reach the lofty heights of Star Wars naming, it might be worth something.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

At least it's a very basic symbol that doesn't look too bad on its own. If SC didn't exist it'd look Okay and people would probably assume it's a Star Trek or maybe a BSG thing. It'd be way sadder if it was less generic and thus more obviously tied to a dumb grift.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah the design itself isn’t bad honestly.

I’m not into tattoos myself but the idea of inking a corporate brand on your body strikes me as sad.

That is a major thing that keeps me from ever getting a tattoo. (Aside from the cost, which I would always want to put toward crap like books and video games first.) Almost any symbol or image I can think of, I can't guarantee I'll feel enough passion for in five years to want to mark it on my body permanently now. Especially if it's an image strongly associated with a company or IP because woo imagine making a permanent mark of brand loyalty.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That's not really just a Citizen affliction, unfortunately. I regularly run into people who bemoan "AAA gaming" but whatever they actually like that's in that space has an excuse for why it doesn't count.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There have been a bunch from the minor to the more serious, from surface save DCs not scaling properly to the caster, to character affection spiking oddly (hence "desperately horny Gale"), some spells and abilities not quite working right, and a general increasing roughness and lack of polish after act 1. They also did a bunch of tweaking and optimization post-release to help it run better. Patch notes obviously get into more issues.

Not really much on the "camera stuck in the toilet" tier that SC had a little while ago, though.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's an actual word, from rugby and more general British use, about basically a messy group, usually with some kind of purpose. Like in rugby it's when both teams are trying to claim the ball. So it's like saying that work goes on in a messy situation but a result arises that can be made sense of, and then corpo buzzword idiots try to systematize it. Or get paid to pretend to.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

dialhforhero posted:

You are all gonna laugh when we start referring to time as BSC and then SC because it will usher in a new epoch.

Early days are a very delicate time. Know then, that it is the year 4242. The known universe is ruled by the Citizen Emperor Croberts the Fourth, my father. In this time, the most precious possession in the universe are starship JPEGs. The JPEGs extend fundraising. The JPEGs are an investment. The JPEGs are vital to space travel. CIG and their developers, who the JPEGs have uplifted for over 4000 years, use server meshing which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the universe without loading screens. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you - the JPEGs exist in only one game in the entire universe, a feature complete early alpha game with vast star systems. Hidden away within the stations of these systems are a people known as the Backers, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom.

The game is Star Citizen, also known as :gary:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

As a latecomer to this thread I was really, really hoping the Deep Lore about his nickname here was a reference back to the old "Cat Piss Man" variety of gross turbonerd.

Of course, of course it's not the humorously bad reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fidelitious posted:

I loved Death Stranding but does anyone actually understand what happened in that game's storyline?

I just ignored all that stuff and chose to be excited about running around with boxes on my back, scaling mountains for no good reason at all.

It gets thoroughly explained if you don't deliberately skip all the stuff that explains it.