Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
star citizen is exploring brave new frontiers in ponzi schemes as a service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHG7FMcP1aY&t=1023s

maybe this has been posted already as it's quite old but I found it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Time_pants posted:

Oh no. No, that's not funny. I do not like that these people are explaining how they're figuring out how to brainwash people into giving them money in exchange for fueling a delusion. That's really dark.

exploiting humans for profit is a time honored tradition, and now thanks to chris roberts we're exploring the brave new frontier of finding out you don't even have to give them a functional product, just let them feel something great is coming. Agree that it is terrible but what else can I do but laugh at seeing a business person going on to explain why this is actually novel and more businesses should do it. I've already refunded my idris.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
wrong thred, getting my scams mixed up

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

:asoiaf:

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
ma'am you may have enjoyed a beverage at a nightclub but i each night enjoy the spaceship jpgs: who is really extracting more value on a dollar cost per unregretted minute

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Politics:
• Election
• Mayor
• Gov
• Hate

intensity over time (potatoes, satellite, gas/bush, etc.!

swamp thong fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 13, 2024

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
pisscat only plays the very special edition of skyrim hence skyrim V

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
im not familiar with the corporate structuring you raise but it seems that they deem "early access" as the product that players are buying, this aligns with what their lawyers say when someone tries to sue them also. Do they sell SQ42 as a standalone product still? If so they should definitely have that in their unearned income but from memory they scrubbed that from the store. I didn't look much at their balance sheet, but their revenues for the year appear to be from the sales of early access to star citizen and associated products under this set of assumptions. I want to be the auditor who has to check if idris has been delivered. lol at the qualified opinion being that they dont appropriately recognise or have a valuation for a liability that would, if exercised, bankrupt the company and thus it can't be exercised. CIGs view appears to be that there's basically no chance they will ever be able to satisfy that liability thus it doesn't really exist. That's peak performance imo

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

MedicineHut posted:

Can´t see this discussed in Spectrum yet. Are they just playing na, na, na didn´t hear, or something?

Sempai Smart would be proud of this ELE.

this might be simplifying things but i would be surprised if anyone that spends money on spaceship jpgs and is also still invested in this game has any idea how to quantify equity structuring let alone understand capitalism. realistically none of it matters because cig will never unfuck themselves from this, but christ roberts and his friends have all done very well.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
thank you pisscat for keeping the dream alive.

i too wish to spend a lot of time doing normal things, like standing in line at the space dmv, giving me a chance to think about jasper's wife's fully realised and detailed relationship system as she goes about her daily tasks on a server far away. I want to follow jasper around town as his he does runs his errands and maybe hinder him in some way, by putting a coffee cup in the parking space i know he likes, a few days beforehand. I don't simply want to play a video game, I want to live in this fully persistent universe, realised down to the most intricate details, where a side quest to capture a heinous terrorist involves me going and having an in-depth noire-esque conversation with a bartender as we cat-and-mouse dance around the whereabouts of my target. I want to be able to go offscript and surprise the bartender with my witty banter and also my caring nature that makes him feel safe enough to reveal the details. afterwards i want to drink a cup of coffee and watch the lighting engine for a bit. Then I'll do some grocery shopping and mosey back to my apartment where i will sleep the requisite 8 hours in my wank pod before logging in again

thank you chris for delivering this in full

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the roberts silenced bootcha but we're unable to enjoy the drama because bootcha is a coward and wont leak the legal threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The latest patch (in testing) has some interesting things in it. A sorely needed complete UI rework for one. Also a complete ship and weapons rebalance along with "master modes", which is essentially a system that restricts you to either combat or high speed travel with the goal of making fights closer and more visually interesting. I think it works pretty well, and the rebalancing seems to be making larger ships more effective in pvp which was sorely needed.

The big thing they're touting is a new POI type they call distribution centers. Big rear end surface facilities with room for a variety of missions, none of which are implemented yet of course.

they put a big amazon warehouse on a planet and forgot to move the box collection mission giver over there?