Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Star Citizen: It's probably easier than you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
So they're putting in a bunch of FPS stuff because that's what the engine they're using was actually built to do, right? Even though the FPS gameplay doesn't look particularly... dynamic.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's because they chose the wrong engine to begin with with the effect that making nice doors and guns is much easier than making space flight and combat feel good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"Mark, any comment on Squadron 42?"

"Oh yeah, that game - didn't that come out a couple of years ago?"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
they don't call him derek dumb, now do they? :useyournoggin:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

Is the first gameplay system the boob slider?

first, last, and only

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
talk about a cargo cult

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
FIDELITY OVERWHELMING

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

they are incompetent. It has nothing to do with their chosen engine or that it is supposed to be a MMO.

no, that's an overly reductionist and simple response. most of these weird bugs are due to the engine choice, which was decision that came from the incompetency of a single person

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"Dad, I got into Harvard Law! I'm gonna be a lawyer!"

"No! I got you that Star Citizen account 10 years ago so you would be a CITIZEN, dammit! Now get your butt back in that gamer chair and keep mining!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Is that a corg-huahua?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Wild guess but I imagine that Rockstar didn't begin development of RDR2 by choosing an engine that required them to rescale everything to a minute fraction of the original size in order to produce a world of the required size, thus throwing off all physics calculations as small floating point issues become exponentially more problematic.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
code:
You stand before the Star Atlas.
Do you:
a) Read page 1 (Stars A-F)
b) Read page 2 (Stars G-W)
c) Read page 3 (Stars X-Z)
d) Read Star Appendix (Glossary and Terms)
e) Close Star Atlas
>_

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
HOIP springs eternal

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I haven't played computer games in 20 years but when I heard about Star Citizen I couldn't wait to pay thousands of dollars to continue not playing games.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

"barring any unforeseen technical complications"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man, remember when Lowtax was funny?

Me neither.

I mean... yes? That's the whole reason this place exists at all, is that people found Jeff K and Leonard Crabs funny.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's very ambitious to try to develop and release Squadron 42 before they've finished figuring out how spaceships should work.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's ok, they just need to dedicate a server per mine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

[*]SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
[*]These issues include mostly gameplay
[*]Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future
[/list]

Gee

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Edit: meant to put this in the GBS thread :sweatdrop:

Mozi fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 14, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

The Titanic posted:

Here's a better quiz:

How many posts has the official Twitter account made to imply the game is in a state that it is not currently in?

So far this post brings you to at least 1. Be sure to find them all!

I'm not certain humanity has made contact with any intelligent life, including ourselves.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Wouldn't it be more effective to simply lower a trawling net from my killer spaceship and dredge the rivers clean?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Once river tech is fully implemented, pee tech will be but a short extension thereof.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I wish they would make another Morrowind (or at least something in that spirit of being risky and weird) but Skyrim was an undeniable massive blockbuster so for whatever faults it has you can't blame them for going with what works. I haven't been able to see what it's actually like to play Starfield so who knows, not hyped but am open to being pleasantly surpised.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

Is the five jackets guy still in the game? I still remember a few years ago CIG making a lot of noise about a new latina quest giver and I think she never materialized and that was it for that branch of their subsumption? AI.

They're still working on fleshing out the initial deliverable for the jacket pipeline but as soon as that is complete...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Imagine five speculative, pie-in-the-sky game system concepts on the edge of a cliff. As one falls over, it gets replaced by a new one. Star Citizen works the same way.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I think he lost most of his money in speculative investments at some point so this is all trying to get back to where he used to be.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, I agree that that age is and should be over with. Like you said there was that weird period where it was a thing to put the "auteur's" name on the game and marketing: Sid Meier, American McGee, Peter Molyneux, John Romero, and so forth. And it was always a lie, even in the 90s and 2000s these games had big teams of people.
It went to the heads of some of these guys for sure and they started to think they actually were the geniuses that the marketing portrayed them as. And now a huge number of them have degraded into complete failures. It's kind of incredible what the failure rate is on these modern ventures by old names.

At least Sid is still sane (and retired, hopefully.)

There's definitely truth in what you're saying in that these people didn't program the entire games themselves but for Sid at least having played most if not all of his stuff there's a definite through-line of a basic sense of fun gameplay that I really think he helped create.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

The Titanic posted:

I wish I saw the vision other people see in how they think this is some day going to be like Ready Player One and it will be full of realistic physics and be like living in another real universe.

The amount of work to make this be less jank filled and crumby is astronomical. And that's not even trying to make it this huge mmo either. Just getting the arena part of the game working is an impossible task. :(

I guess it would be fun to see stuff like this after 10 years of development and not think it's anything short of a complete disaster where every ounce of money just went into the graphics budget (at least what wasn't syphoned off to other things anyhow).

It looks good- but the code and engine and performance. Those are some huge show stopping red flags. :sigh:

It's OK, now that river tech is fully pipelined and they've moved onto realistic AI bedsheets soon they'll be able to continue development on the basic flight model.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

I'll give you a real-world parallel I've been dealing with personally for the past few weeks. We have a horrifically inefficient application that's written so poorly it winds up DOSing all of its endpoints. We tasked a developer to fix it, with my assistance, the only rule being "we don't have time to rewrite it." (Any senior developers know, already, where this is going.)

Once we cracked into the code, the labyrinthine arrangement and nonsensical logic, filled with mishandled classes that nevertheless penetrated every corner of the code, incorrectly scoped variables, random use of multiple third-party tools, the usual mess you find when code is on its fifth repair attempt.

In the end, we were able to reduce the outbound connection problems significantly, so from the outside it "looks" fixed. But what we did - what we had to do - to make it work - it is the stuff of developer nightmares. But we had no choice. It's a miracle it works at all, so you compile and release, drink heavily that night, and dread the next special project.

That was a simple application that management didn't have the balls to order a rewrite on. It will eventually go down and sink its dependent apps, and whoever picks up that ball is probably going to put in their notice about 10 minutes after checking in the code.

No matter how good an idea any dev at CIG has, no matter what their experience level, and no matter how dedicated they are, it can't and won't stand against the code base they're getting thrown against. And they can't do the correct thing and rewrite, because funding will end. So they use the word "refactor" liberally (and incorrectly) and work within the adamantite boundaries they're now stuck with.

I want to guess - you wrapped all outbound calls with something like 'generate random number between 0 and 1, abort if < 0.8'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

My initial backing on Kickstarter of Star Citizen has already been worth it just from all these cute GIFs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
We're making great progress on the pipeline for the checkerboards and once we manage to get them to stop exploding it should be a matter of just a few years before the complete game of checkers is playable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Star Citizen: Move Slowly and Break Things

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Pushing a stretcher is still one of the best things you can do in SC.
Don't miss the bonus floating NPC towards the end, that poo poo straight reminds me of Control.

https://v.redd.it/5dwrd2uvmf691/DASH_1080.mp4

Typical, people just can't resist tying themselves in knots looking for reasons to criticize Star Citizen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Buying another Idris to fight against this scurrilous skullduggery.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Ah, but you're forgetting that now that the bedsheet pipeline is in place server meshing will be right around the corner!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Hmm that's a good cobra pose but can he do downward dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, PES!