Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I still think That 70s Guy was cool as an aesthetic. They just went too hard into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I still think about the time Mike Awesome powerbombed an insane clown on his 70’s bus and then the insane clown slowly slid off the side and might have even died. Mike tried to save him :shrug:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Are there any good places to buy old UK wrestling magazines online? Specifically Power Slam and Fighting Spirit. eBay has a lot but the specific issues I'm looking for aren't there. Facebook marketplace has some but they're complete collections that the seller isn't willing to sell individually.

I'm wondering if there are any places I've missed.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

looks like toudoukan has a few

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Sandman from ECW posted:

I still think about the time Mike Awesome powerbombed an insane clown on his 70’s bus and then the insane clown slowly slid off the side and might have even died. Mike tried to save him :shrug:

he died

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

much like the ultimate warrior, there have been multiple Shaggy 2 Dopes

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
turn me on, dead Shag

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I wonder what happened to the 70s bus. Stuck in a storage unit next to the smackdown fist

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

The original Ultimate Warrior was extremely woke. They killed him for that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Alaois posted:

we're actually now on shaggy 7 dope

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sandman from ECW posted:

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Does Dan Callis put makeup on his forehead scar to make it look worse?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Sandman from ECW posted:

LOL, I don't think I've seen this before.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gRRa1-VH3L4?si=E9g0byq6Qyi4m0D2

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Grey posted:

yes

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

what a worker

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Grey posted:

I think the second time he appeared after the actual injury he didn’t juice it and there was a noticeable difference

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
are there any submission moves that are considered to be heel-coded? (A more generalized question like this has been asked before, the chop block is a heel move, etc.) Let's discount low-hanging fruit like working a wrestler's injured body part, or illegal holds that get a ref count.

when Okada debuted the Rainmaker gimmick in New Japan he was using a hold called DID (Deep In Debt) and I thought it looked nasty, but eventually he stopped using it? I wonder if it's because he slowly turned face (it might have looked too nasty) or because of other reasons? He used to have a lot of fun lucha-based submissions back then.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

the octopus requires the ropes, anything like that is sort of heel coded by nature

and small limb manipulation

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

are there any submission moves that are considered to be heel-coded? (A more generalized question like this has been asked before, the chop block is a heel move, etc.) Let's discount low-hanging fruit like working a wrestler's injured body part, or illegal holds that get a ref count.

camel clutch, nerve hold, indian deathlock, liontamer

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

STING 64 posted:

camel clutch, nerve hold, indian deathlock, liontamer

yeah the Liontamer checks out. Very oppressive and mean. I've seen Masa Kitamiya work the Indian Deathlock and it's a cool spot for him, but I can see heels using it to taunt their opponent face to face. Trying to find a common theme with these though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

yeah the Liontamer checks out. Very oppressive and mean. I've seen Masa Kitamiya work the Indian Deathlock and it's a cool spot for him, but I can see heels using it to taunt their opponent face to face. Trying to find a common theme with these though.

they all leave the babyface's face free to sell and emote to the camera and audience

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Choom Gangster posted:

the octopus requires the ropes, anything like that is sort of heel coded by nature

and small limb manipulation

thats the tarantula, the octopus is what the manjigatame is called in america to avoid Discomfort

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Alaois posted:

thats the tarantula, the octopus is what the manjigatame is called in america to avoid Discomfort

yeah, that's what i meant

also how is the liontamer heel coded?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Choom Gangster posted:

yeah, that's what i meant

also how is the liontamer heel coded?

its a boston crab with additional pressure applied to hurt for no reason and is typically done to display a bigger wrestler punishing a smaller wrestler which is normal heel psychology

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

but every submission is painful for the same reason, to get your opponent to quit, no? seems more like pragmatism than heelery, but heard chef

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The figure four leglock is primarily a heel move. The babyface struggling to turn it over or get to the ropes, etc.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen a bigger wrestler use a liontamer on a smaller wrestler. Fat Jericho excluded.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I feel like the bearhug has got to be one. What's more heelish than a giant villain squeezing the life out of a little wrestling man? Plus it turns the comforting and peaceful act of hugging into an act of violence

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The world famous Money Clip is a heel move against your audience.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does the Human Torture Rack count or is it redeemed entirely by Lex

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

I find that the kimura is generally a pretty heelish hold, especially with the regularity it's used for arm break angles.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does the Human Torture Rack count or is it redeemed entirely by Lex

Everyone pops for the torture rack

As for heel coded submissions can't go past rings of Saturn and variants it's just so mean

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Abdominal Stretch because it's primary purpose is to generate heat by having partners/outside interference help the heel apply illegal leverage.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i feel like i never really see babyfaces do piledrivers i feel like, unless you count babyfaces like Taker where they have a spooky/evil gimmick

I dont watch a lot of Japanese wrestling tho, mostly US and Lucha, so it could be different there

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sting did a tombstone even as the surfer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sting did a tombstone even as the surfer.

Oh right I forgot about that, it was a little different iirc his opponents legs were kinda wrapped around his head almost?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I feel like the bearhug has got to be one. What's more heelish than a giant villain squeezing the life out of a little wrestling man? Plus it turns the comforting and peaceful act of hugging into an act of violence

Bruno Sammartino used the bear hug as his finisher back in the day, and he was a face for most, if not all of his career.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Okada also has done the tombstone for years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Half of Chuck Taylor's moveset is piledriver variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I'm gonna have to second the Camel Clutch as a very heel hold, not because it's particularly "mean" but it's mostly been done by heels, often racist caricature heels. Did the Steiners often do the Recliner when they were faces?