Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Grey posted:

It got a bunch of people who don't normally pay attention to AEW to pay attention to it for five minutes.

And then copyright strike a bunch of the loudest and dumbest blue checkmarks. A masterstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

kimbo305 posted:

Every so often I think of this ad that was for the Hustle promotion and I can never find it.
It had Naoya Ogawa walking toward the camera on a street, singing a song, with some lyric like "Hassuru, hassuru, minja na de"

If anyone can link me to it, thanks a million.

https://youtu.be/sDS8Uvr42z0?si=vq22qXdNZqm5mjxB

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Posting on the Vincent Kennedy McMahon page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXhMSOLJKM

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Did JR know Vince was going to be the higher power? His “aw son of a BITCH” always sounded so authentically annoyed.

Related, what do you think this all would have been like if the higher power had been revealed to be any of the other rumored names like Jake Roberts?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've said this a few times but I watched the Greater Power episode (they insisted on calling it the Greater Power) recently and it's unbelievably bad. It opens with a video package about the Corporate Ministry, and then Vince comes out and cuts a promo about the Greater Power and Shane is on the titantron all while JR and Lawler are speculating on the Greater Power being Jake Roberts, and then it cuts to commercial and when it comes back Shane and the Corporate Ministry enter again, and then the Greater Power reveal happens. The first match happens like 45 minutes in and it's the Acolytes vs. The NAO and it ends in a DQ after two minutes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I've said this a few times but I watched the Greater Power episode (they insisted on calling it the Greater Power) recently and it's unbelievably bad. It opens with a video package about the Corporate Ministry, and then Vince comes out and cuts a promo about the Greater Power and Shane is on the titantron all while JR and Lawler are speculating on the Greater Power being Jake Roberts, and then it cuts to commercial and when it comes back Shane and the Corporate Ministry enter again, and then the Greater Power reveal happens. The first match happens like 45 minutes in and it's the Acolytes vs. The NAO and it ends in a DQ after two minutes.

Cinema!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gotta love the attitude era

quote:

WWF World Tag Team Title Match
The Acolytes (Bradshaw & Faarooq) (c) defeat The Brood (Edge & Gangrel) (w/Christian) (3:22)

Two On One Handicap Match
Kane & X-Pac vs. Shane McMahon - No Contest (2:00)

Cast Match
The Rock defeats Triple H (w/Chyna) by DQ (1:23)

Singles Match
The Godfather (w/Hos) defeats Mr. rear end (3:14)

WWF Hardcore Title Match
Al Snow (c) defeats Droz (w/Prince Albert) (3:01)

Lion's Den Match
Vince McMahon defeats Ken Shamrock (0:07)

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match
The Undertaker (w/Paul Bearer) (c) vs. The Big Show - No Contest (6:51)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kennel posted:

god we are living in a golden age right now if you actually like wrestling

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

As a kid who started watching during the Attitude Era, the first time I realized matches could go 20, 30 minutes my mind was absolutely blown.

I was flipping channels one Friday afternoon and caught an episode of ECW on tnn where they were showing RVD vs Jerry Lynn from Hardcore Heaven and it literally changed my life. Probably not for the better but :shrug:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sandman from ECW posted:

As a kid who started watching during the Attitude Era, the first time I realized matches could go 20, 30 minutes my mind was absolutely blown.

I was flipping channels one Friday afternoon and caught an episode of ECW on tnn where they were showing RVD vs Jerry Lynn from Hardcore Heaven and it literally changed my life. Probably not for the better but :shrug:

I watched that match before RVD last AEW appearance and it still loving rocks. Except for Bill Alfonso's... enthusiastic whistling.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

god we are living in a golden age right now if you actually like wrestling

We really are. There's never been this many talented wrestlers all over the world and now we have internet infrastructure and bandwidth such that we can watch wrestling from anywhere in the world with relative ease and minimal cost

It's the best and I'm so glad that I came back to wrestling during the pandemic

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did the people watching during the attitude era realize they where watching a giant boom period? Like the hottest wrestling had eber been from a cultural standpoint? I didnt because I was a stupid kid, but older dudes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Related, what do you think this all would have been like if the higher power had been revealed to be any of the other rumored names like Jake Roberts?
I don't remember all the plot twists and turns leading up to the reveal, but I believe the whole angle would've made a lot more sense if it was some outsider loving with everybody. Like, besides letting Undertaker go after Stephanie like Bowser kidnapping Princess Peach, didn't Vince's machinations involve sending goons to kick his own rear end?

Defenestrategy posted:

Did the people watching during the attitude era realize they where watching a giant boom period? Like the hottest wrestling had eber been from a cultural standpoint? I didnt because I was a stupid kid, but older dudes.
As a teenager I understood that wrestling had been a big deal when I was a little kid, got stale because it was stuck in the early 80s as time moved on, and had finally become edgy and cool again. But as for a "boom," I don't remember having any idea whether it was going to keep getting more popular, or crash, or wind down, let alone when or why or how that would happen.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 16, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Absolutely. During the Monday Night Wars my friends and I were all recent college graduates and we were all over the newsletters reading about weekly ratings and blah blah blah. We remember all the highest rating matches and promos and stuff and wrestling shows have never even gotten close to those numbers since then

I realize that a lot has changed in 25 years and Nielsen ratings aren't the best way to measure success anymore but I don't think wrestling is as popular now as it was back then. It's definitely in another boom period but we haven't seen Monday Night Wars numbers yet

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I remember watching it as a kid and all I cared about was watching Austin beat up Vince, watching Kane wreck dudes, or Watching Booker T and DDP. I just assumed wrestling had always been really fun and exciting up to that point, and then...I learned about the new generation

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I remember when a little child in an Austin t-shirt threatened to stomp a mudhole in my rear end and walk it dry. You knew it was a boom because you saw wrestlers doing commercials, ads for wrestling toys, and random people aged 6-60 wearing wrestling merch in public.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I learned a lot of wrestling history through reading wrestlecrap.com back then. I feel like that influenced me on a deeper level than I realize

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

I knew just because the crowds were huge and loud and you saw wrestling shirts out in public, at least in the South where I grew up. How could it not feel like a boom period? Seeing all the signs in the crowd and how quickly people's catchphrases caught on and the insane crowd roars for even midcard guys, how could it not feel like a boom? Wrestling was cooler and more integrated into pop culture than it is now, and the shows felt wilder and less predictable. Also lots of kids watched wrestling and talked about it, but since there was no social media yet it was still fun to be a fan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was born in the early eighties so I was around for the initial boom that lasted until '92 and then the mid-nineties when nobody was talking about wrestling in school anymore. So it was really obvious when suddenly everyone had either nWo or Austin 3:16 shirts no matter where you went.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Elephant Ambush posted:

I realize that a lot has changed in 25 years and Nielsen ratings aren't the best way to measure success anymore but I don't think wrestling is as popular now as it was back then. It's definitely in another boom period but we haven't seen Monday Night Wars numbers yet
I sometimes imagine that the total number of hours a week people spend watching wrestling now could easily be as high or higher than it was in the late 1990s though

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah seriously, what the hell happened there. I assume it was some sort of angle but loving hell.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Stone Cold became the GM and made Vince and Shamrock fight in a Lion's Den Match which they hyped up all night and then that happened. I don't actually remember the finish.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
found the match, before clicking try and guess who interferes on Vince's behalf

(unprotected chairshot in the video in case anybody doesn't want to see that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1kEoSgVmk&t=164s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
gently caress you for reminding me that that person exists

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Kennel posted:

The Greater Power RAW was a Historic poo poo-Show, but can't compare to "The RAW That The Nexus Debuted" :

-

Dark Two On One Handicap Match
Chris Masters defeats The Dudebusters (Caylen Croft & Trent Barreta)

Bodyslam Challenge Match
The Big Show defeats Chris Jericho (2:55)

Non Title Tag Team Match
The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith & Tyson Kidd) (w/Natalya) defeat Hornswoggle & The Great Khali (1:17)

12 Man Battle Royal
Maryse defeats Alicia Fox and Brie Bella and Eve Torres and Gail Kim and Jillian and Kelly Kelly and Layla and Michelle McCool and Nikki Bella and Rosa Mendes and Tiffany (3:50)

Singles Match
Kane defeats Sheamus by Count Out (7:30)

Tag Team Match
The Miz & Zack Ryder defeat John Morrison & R-Truth (3:20)

Edge's Arm Tied Behind His Back Match
Randy Orton defeats Edge by DQ (1:40)

Singles Match
Matt Hardy defeats Drew McIntyre (1:25)

Non Title Match
CM Punk vs. John Cena - No Contest, 8 Guys Run In And Destroy The Set (10:00)

The rest of the 3 hour show was devoted to a plot in which the characters from The A Team travel to WWE Raw, to sovle The Mystery of Jerry Lawler's Missing Crown. After confronting the Evil Bad Guy Team of IRS, Virgil and Ted Dibiase Jr, the heels lure The A Team into a room full of Sleeping Gas, and kidnap Rampage Jackson. In the ring, the evil mastermind is revealed to be Roddy Piper, who kayfabe believes Mr T and Rampage Jackson are the same person, and stole Lawler's crown in order to lure The A Team to WWE Raw, so that he can enact his revenge from Wrestlemania 2. The day is saved when Dusty Rhodes and Gene Okerlund storm the ring in a golf cart, allowing Rampage Jackson to break free of his plastic handcuffs, and potato Virgil so badly that everyone just rolls out of the ring, rather than taking any more bumps. Dusty Rhodes dances to the A Team theme song.

10 minutes later Bryan Danielson debuts on WWE RAW, and everyone forgets that he last 3 hours happened.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Nexus debut was partially so good because it was a historically awful Raw until that point. Like, it was the worst. It broke the ardent fans on the forum I was on until that moment. It's almost funny. Three hours of torture until an incredible ending.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I remember schoolyard rumours that the Higher Power was 100% definitely going to be Brian Pillman.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Nexus debut was partially so good because it was a historically awful Raw until that point. Like, it was the worst. It broke the ardent fans on the forum I was on until that moment. It's almost funny. Three hours of torture until an incredible ending.

I remember a very similar feeling when this card happened.

Singles Match
Kane defeats CM Punk by Count Out (4:18)

No Count Out Match
Sin Cara defeats Evan Bourne (4:50)

Non Title Match
Kofi Kingston defeats Dolph Ziggler (7:35)

Steel Cage Match
Alberto Del Rio defeats The Big Show (5:19)

Non Title Submission Match
Kelly Kelly defeats Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella) (1:21)

Tornado Tag Team Match
Alex Riley & Rey Mysterio defeat Jack Swagger & The Miz (11:43)

Non Title Tables Match
R-Truth defeats John Cena (5:14)

The show was saved at the very end with Truth winning and CM Punk cutting the best promo of his life and possibly the best WWE produced promo in years

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 16, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

10 minutes later Bryan Danielson debuts on WWE RAW, and everyone forgets that he last 3 hours happened.

And then he got fired.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Here's the thread for those who want to check
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3313832&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55
(archives needed)

quote:

gently caress YES! I don't know what's happening but there's the future of the WWE in the ring.

well....

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This is such a treat to read :allears:

I was modding another wrestling forum at the time (how does this keep happening to me) and had to stay up 'til like 2AM herding the discussion because the hype was so real.

Also prize for the most unintentionally hilarious post in the thread:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I remember schoolyard rumours that the Higher Power was 100% definitely going to be Brian Pillman.
Jake Roberts would at least have made sense, since it’s well established that he likes loving with people more than winning. Jake was prevented from doing this, by demons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

so many old friends

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Defenestrategy posted:

I remember a very similar feeling when this card happened.

Singles Match
Kane defeats CM Punk by Count Out (4:18)

No Count Out Match
Sin Cara defeats Evan Bourne (4:50)

Non Title Match
Kofi Kingston defeats Dolph Ziggler (7:35)

Steel Cage Match
Alberto Del Rio defeats The Big Show (5:19)

Non Title Submission Match
Kelly Kelly defeats Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella) (1:21)

Tornado Tag Team Match
Alex Riley & Rey Mysterio defeat Jack Swagger & The Miz (11:43)

Non Title Tables Match
R-Truth defeats John Cena (5:14)

The show was saved at the very end with Truth winning and CM Punk cutting the best promo of his life and possibly the best WWE produced promo in years

Vince was cooking

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Seams posted:

Vince was cooking

cooking meth

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kofi vs Sydal was probably good? Maybe?

Edit: Misread those matches

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 17, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

We are so blessed that we're actually getting good Mistico vs. Sydal matches now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Kofi vs Sydal was probably good? Maybe?

Edit: Misread those matches

it was pretty good by 2011 raw standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlVpv-DQsAs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Were gym owners mad that Hulk Hogan would come in and start knocking over weight machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Re: “did people know it was a boom period” I absolutely think we knew. Wrestling was popular at a level it wasn’t during the Rock and Wrestling period. But I think the rub is that a lot of people felt it was a natural cycle of interest and when wrestling cooled off a lot of people were convinced it was just a matter of time before it hit an even higher peak.