Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I remember absolutely knowing it was a boom period. Everyone knew who SCSA and Goldberg were, even non-fans. I also remember being surprised when it ended so quickly. I seem to recall ratings starting to crater well before WCW folded and it just never even came close to those highs even with a lot of the same stars on TV. The beginning of the end came way before the actual TV shows became as bad as they did.

I am also certain we are in a boom period again now because I am actually watching wrestling for the first time in 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think it’s surprising the boom period ended quickly because that’s how big cultural media fads go. One minute X is the hottest thing in the world and then it’s over and everyone moves on to something else.

Wrestling definitely isn’t in some kind of equal boom period. There’s no where remotely near the level of mainstream popularity. But also the dynamics have all changed. But also they had all changed back then too. Point is the Monday Night Wars was a legitimate peak for wrestling and it’s unlikely they’ll recapture that moment. Not impossible but unlikely.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't think any television product can reach the highs of television products from that era ever again, due to fundamental changes in technology

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

big black turnout posted:

I don't think any television product can reach the highs of television products from that era ever again, due to fundamental changes in technology

Women's college basketball seems to do the trick.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t think it’s surprising the boom period ended quickly because that’s how big cultural media fads go. One minute X is the hottest thing in the world and then it’s over and everyone moves on to something else.

Wrestling definitely isn’t in some kind of equal boom period. There’s no where remotely near the level of mainstream popularity. But also the dynamics have all changed. But also they had all changed back then too. Point is the Monday Night Wars was a legitimate peak for wrestling and it’s unlikely they’ll recapture that moment. Not impossible but unlikely.

it was a perfect moment in time. It was the embodiment of all the late 90s edge that was so hot at the time and seems so cringe now. The only way wrestling becomes that big again is if it can perfectly capture the feeling of a decade which let's be honest can not be predicted.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It’s not surprising in retrospect, certainly, but I remember Wrestlemania X-7 in particular being a hot show by any standard, possibly the hottest Wrestlemania ever. But even by then the “boom” had already ended if you look back.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Integrated Houston posted:

It’s not surprising in retrospect, certainly, but I remember Wrestlemania X-7 in particular being a hot show by any standard, possibly the hottest Wrestlemania ever. But even by then the “boom” had already ended if you look back.

Yeah my understanding is the wave peaked for WWF in 2000, 2001 it was starting to cool but X7 was still Vince’s “I am a Golden God” moment

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Integrated Houston posted:

It could have continued on, but the two events of WCW/ECW ending and their fanbases not making the transition, combined with turnig Austin heel to a crowd that wasn't ready to boo him, followed by the panic booking of the Invasion, really did a number on the boom. It's not that wrestling would have remained the cultural zeitgeist forever without those two events, but they mark an identifiable point in time that the good times had ended.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The boom didn't end until 9-11. InVasion was a huge success. Then 9-11, then, Survivor Series flops. Dave Meltzer doesn't want you to think about that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Building 7 held all the good booking ideas.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the boom was still going till they fully punted the WCW invasion and killed that. And even than it still had some legs with Mania 18 doing decent business but Austin/Rock were no longer full time and WWE didn't have any big stars so whelp

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah the boom was still going till they fully punted the WCW invasion and killed that. And even than it still had some legs with Mania 18 doing decent business but Austin/Rock were no longer full time and WWE didn't have any big stars so whelp

Again, look what people call it "the boom"

What happened on 9-11?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bob Dylan released “Love and Theft”

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I shouldn’t have said that the boom had ended by X-7. What I mean is that it had already crested. I did some Googling and there is some suggestion that it was the renaming, not the Invasion, that the Fed never truly came back from. The bloom came off the PPV rose first following X-7, but TV ratings sank below 4.0 after the renaming and stayed there.

There were still some high points with the Triple H return, Flair, and NWO coming in that kept hope alive they could turn it back around. But by the time Austin walked out in 2002 everyone had to admit they were spiraling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

“The boom” isn’t the same as a creative peak of whatever. I’m 2001 I remember watching wrestling in the background with roommates and friends but it definitely felt like the overall interest and buzz was dying off. That has nothing to do with how good the particular stuff was. Just how much casual viewers were interested.

It’s why I think you have so many AEW fans who get caught up in the ratings and wondering why the ratings don’t increase after a good show or sometimes go down. When really it has more to do with what else is on or what season it is or what could possibly interest a random tv viewer to turn on wrestling this week. As I said I don’t think it’s impossible that wrestling could get that back but as someone else said the Monday Night Wars was a perfect storm of conditions and the way the media landscape has changed makes it way harder for anything to catch a buzz. On the other hand if I had told you three years ago womens basketball would have a major ratings buzz going you would have called me crazy. So who knows?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

What happened on 9-11?

Adam Cole Bay Bay

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The boom is when you light the fuse

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

What happened on 9-11?

Lots of people were killed and then lots of lovely people spent the next couple of decades using it for their agendas or just to amuse themselves.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

What happened on 9-11?

The conclusion to the Battle of Teutoburg Forest

The Battle of Stirling Bridge

The Battle of Malplaquet

The conclusion to the Siege of Barcelona

Augusto Pinochet seized power in Chile in a US-backed coup d'état overthrowing the democratically elected leftist government headed by Salvador Allende

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Y'all are so bad at wordplay. :sigh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Moldy Peaches released their self-titled album which included the song “NYC’s Like a Graveyard”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Australia beat Italy at North Harbour Stadium in Albany, Ireland beat the USA at Yarrow Stadium and the Springboks beat Wales at the Caketin in Wellington at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The All Blacks beat the Wallabies 23 to 22 in Sydney to be the first and only team to sweep the 6-match format of the annual Tri-Nations Series, having beaten the Springboks three times and the Wallabies twice already.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jay Z released "The Blueprint" featuring the diss track "Takeover" which reminded fans that WWE had a one good show every ten year average.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRafTer posted:

What happened on 9-11?

Ben Folds released Rockin The Suburbs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They Might Be Giants released Mink Car

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I kept watching but most of my friends had stopped watching way before WCW folded. When we reminisce I've brought up Kurt Angle before and most of them don't even remember him because they'd stopped watching by then.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

STAC Goat posted:

“The boom” isn’t the same as a creative peak of whatever. I’m 2001 I remember watching wrestling in the background with roommates and friends but it definitely felt like the overall interest and buzz was dying off. That has nothing to do with how good the particular stuff was. Just how much casual viewers were interested.
Once something gets really hot in a mainstream way, its business momentum can carrying on strong for a long while after "interest" starts waning. Most viewers are in the habit of watching their weekly wrasslin show or two and aren't going cold turkey because (in retrospect) the show or the fad had peaked. You have ahead of the curve people leaving but you also have behind the times people finally deciding to give the show a chance.

Particularly with younger folks online that didn't live through this period, it is obvious when they only gets their info from WWE programming or other summaries. Things get flattened out and muddled making it hard to extract any specific facts, and that is before WWE spins things to tell whatever narrative they want to tell at the time. It's funny when people take a vague sentiment but make it a specific, concrete thing. Did you guys know that the first hour of Nitro was all Cruiserweight matches?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Nickelback release Silver Side Up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Women's college basketball seems to do the trick.

That's due to an actual once-in-a-generational talent. Now, for the sake of equality in sports, I hope it does result in the tide rising going forward, but I don't think you can judge Clark's last season playing with an overall sea change.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree with those saying the 90s boom didn't have to pass as quickly as it did; both major companies made bad decisions that they didn't have to make.

I think you could make a bigger-picture argument that it was inevitable they wouldn't take full advantage of their success for as long as they could, because they were riding a tiger. Booking the kind of wrestling fans dream about requires you to both manage a tour of sporting events, and write a weekly TV show (or two or three) set at those events. And you have to deal with the problems and limitations of both (e.g. injuries derailing angles). It's not like you can just hire from a big pool of people who all know how to do this, and it seems like people in the TV industry looked down on wrestling while the old guys in WCW/WWE had contempt for anyone from outside telling them how to do things.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just saw the Buff Bagwell Vs Booker T match on raw and it...didn't seem that bad? I wouldn't say it was a barn burner but it was fine for the amount of time they had. From what id heard about over the years I thought it'd be the complete shits.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just saw the Buff Bagwell Vs Booker T match on raw and it...didn't seem that bad? I wouldn't say it was a barn burner but it was fine for the amount of time they had. From what id heard about over the years I thought it'd be the complete shits.

A lot of history is filled with lies, especially when it involves WWF

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
LIKE THE TIME WE DROVE A TANK

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

LIKE THE TIME WE DROVE A TANK

Yes, but not like the time we flew a jet aircraft

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How do spots get called in the ring specifically? I assume certain moves are very generic where if you call suplex it doesnt really matter if you do a butterfly, belly to belly, whatever the guy taking the move knows to jump for it and tuck their head, or stuff might be iconic where if you call cutter people will know and its probably trained to take pretty universally, but stuff like made in japan, poison rana, and some other stuff are probably not universal. Do they just call what direction the guy needs to bump and just trust the guy has instinct? Do they just workout before hand and say " i'm gonna do x, y, and z moves do you know how to take them?"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Defenestrategy posted:

How do spots get called in the ring specifically? Do they just workout before hand and say " i'm gonna do x, y, and z moves do you know how to take them?"

This is how lots of wrestling works. It's lil talk beforehand. Some folks like to work out every single move, other times you just work out the opening and the finish n make up the middle. There are also instances where you don't get to talk before hand at all and you have to do it on the fly.

But even if you work it out before you still talk in the ring. "Duck one watch the spin kick" ect

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Beer_Suitcase posted:

This is how lots of wrestling works. It's lil talk beforehand. Some folks like to work out every single move, other times you just work out the opening and the finish n make up the middle. There are also instances where you don't get to talk before hand at all and you have to do it on the fly.

But even if you work it out before you still talk in the ring. "Duck one watch the spin kick" ect

One of the best matches of the 2010s, Shinsuke Nakamura's debut in NXT against Sami Zayn, was apparently entirely called in the ring, no rehearsals or pre-planning. They had never even wrestled against one another before, either.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wait until you see Kronik vs. Undertaker and Kane and realize Undertaker and Kane were just as bad as Kronik

Buff Bagwell said somewhere that, you know, his whole gimmick is being egotistical and looking at himself in the cameras and stuff, and the moment before he went out for that match against Booker T someone like Bruce Prichard told him "don't ever look at the camera"

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Defenestrategy posted:

How do spots get called in the ring specifically? I assume certain moves are very generic where if you call suplex it doesnt really matter if you do a butterfly, belly to belly, whatever the guy taking the move knows to jump for it and tuck their head, or stuff might be iconic where if you call cutter people will know and its probably trained to take pretty universally, but stuff like made in japan, poison rana, and some other stuff are probably not universal. Do they just call what direction the guy needs to bump and just trust the guy has instinct? Do they just workout before hand and say " i'm gonna do x, y, and z moves do you know how to take them?"

Some wrestlers like to plan matches down to every single move (DDP and Macho Man were known for this), some wrestlers like to have a start and end planned and wing the middle. Sometimes, there isn't an opportunity to plan at all, and the whole thing is just done on the fly, with some things being called out or communicated when the opportunity arises (like during rest holds), and then it comes down to trust.

Also some moves really are just kind of universal, or can be communicated one way or another so that everyone understands. Nyla Rose has told the story before about her time in Japan where she used to have trouble laying out matches with some joshi because of the language barrier, so she bought some action figures to use to demonstrate what she wanted to happen, and then she didn't have trouble laying out matches anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Nyla Rose has told the story before about her time in Japan where she used to have trouble laying out matches with some joshi because of the language barrier, so she bought some action figures to use to demonstrate what she wanted to happen, and then she didn't have trouble laying out matches anymore.

:3: