Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Work the chinlock brother we need to slow it down.

You can kinda see it sometimes when they lock up, the wrestler "on top" will lean down and hide their face in their opponent's neck or shoulder or whatever and they're probably saying "I'm gonna throw you to the corner, let's do that reversal spot we worked out earlier" or "I'm gonna powerbomb the poo poo outta you, tuck your chin, player"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

apophenium posted:

You can kinda see it sometimes when they lock up, the wrestler "on top" will lean down and hide their face in their opponent's neck or shoulder or whatever and they're probably saying "I'm gonna throw you to the corner, let's do that reversal spot we worked out earlier" or "I'm gonna powerbomb the poo poo outta you, tuck your chin, player"

I was more curious of when the wrestler catches a chin lock, leans down, and goes

"I'm gonna do the 450 mollywhop driver" and you're just standing there like "what the gently caress is a mollywhop driver."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I was more curious of when the wrestler catches a chin lock, leans down, and goes

"I'm gonna do the 450 mollywhop driver" and you're just standing there like "what the gently caress is a mollywhop driver."

Chris Jericho told a now-famous story where the first time WWE did one of those gimmick PPVs where matches were decided by fan vote it was actually a shoot and they genuinely didn't know what matches were gonna happen, and his match ended up being against Shelton Benjamin who he'd never wrestled before. So they're calling the match in the ring, and Jericho asks Shelton what his finisher is. Shelton says "T-Bone Suplex" but because they're in the middle of a match in a loud arena, Jericho can't hear him clearly so he hears "Beeboo Crawshanks" and thinks to himself "I have no idea how to set up or take the Beeboo Crawshanks"

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Lmao "go up for the Beeboo Crawshanks, brother, it's a flat back bump"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Why does nobody do hair pull spots any more? Seems like easy, fast and consistent heeling?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Also some moves really are just kind of universal, or can be communicated one way or another so that everyone understands. Nyla Rose has told the story before about her time in Japan where she used to have trouble laying out matches with some joshi because of the language barrier, so she bought some action figures to use to demonstrate what she wanted to happen, and then she didn't have trouble laying out matches anymore.

there's a documentary about the young bucks and they laid out a match with two japanese wrestlers using a mix of simple english and pantomime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhORGbwxLUQ&t=170s

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Why does nobody do hair pull spots any more? Seems like easy, fast and consistent heeling?

Might be because its coded towards divas wrestling these days?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pulling the hair also pulls on the brain and causes it to impact against the skull which we have learned is the leading cause of concussions. ever since 2009 we know the true danger of concussions and hair pulling is unofficially outlawed. you only see it at shows that take place outside on wet fairgrounds with soft wet ground and so on. they're "illegal" shows so to speak, though they are legal in a technical sense. they're morally illegal.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

little munchkin posted:

there's a documentary about the young bucks and they laid out a match with two japanese wrestlers using a mix of simple english and pantomime

lol I was actually trying to find that video to make reference to it in my response because I remembered it existed but not exactly what it was, and gave up when I couldn't find it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cavauro posted:

pulling the hair also pulls on the brain and causes it to impact against the skull which we have learned is the leading cause of concussions. ever since 2009 we know the true danger of concussions and hair pulling is unofficially outlawed. you only see it at shows that take place outside on wet fairgrounds with soft wet ground and so on. they're "illegal" shows so to speak, though they are legal in a technical sense. they're morally illegal.

lmao what

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

little munchkin posted:

july 2017 :prepop:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Considering it's Naito and Bushi they might've had more luck laying out the entire match in Spanish

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alaois posted:

Chris Jericho told a now-famous story where the first time WWE did one of those gimmick PPVs where matches were decided by fan vote it was actually a shoot and they genuinely didn't know what matches were gonna happen, and his match ended up being against Shelton Benjamin who he'd never wrestled before. So they're calling the match in the ring, and Jericho asks Shelton what his finisher is. Shelton says "T-Bone Suplex" but because they're in the middle of a match in a loud arena, Jericho can't hear him clearly so he hears "Beeboo Crawshanks" and thinks to himself "I have no idea how to set up or take the Beeboo Crawshanks"

IIrc it ended with him going to the top rope for a flying nothing, which was fine because Shelton could hit the T-Bone from pretty much any position.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Might be because its coded towards divas wrestling these days?

That funking sucks, I'm watching old Rockers matches and hair pulling is such a frustrating act by a heel

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Also some moves really are just kind of universal, or can be communicated one way or another so that everyone understands. Nyla Rose has told the story before about her time in Japan where she used to have trouble laying out matches with some joshi because of the language barrier, so she bought some action figures to use to demonstrate what she wanted to happen, and then she didn't have trouble laying out matches anymore.

Have I mentioned recently that Nyla is the best? Because Nyla's the best.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

lmao what

he's right, you know

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Seems like telling your opponent every move you’re going to do in advance is a bad strategy if you want to win the match

I’m not so sure about this pro wrestling thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cavauro posted:

Eliminating hair pull spots not only saves lives, it erases about 80% of Moolah’s legacy as a wrestler and trainer. So that’s good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wait until you see Kronik vs. Undertaker and Kane and realize Undertaker and Kane were just as bad as Kronik
From what I remember, Undertaker was the worst worker in that match, followed by Brian Adams. Kane and Bryan Clark at least put in some effort.

The match itself was much less awful than I expected. It's not good by any means but I've seen far worse. To be fair, I've heard the worst parts of this match were cut from the Network/Peacock version of the show, but I don't know if that's true or not. If it is, the cuts are pretty seamless.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Does anyone here watch WOW Wrestling? Who is the target audience for it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There actually is someone who has posted about it in the Women's Wrestling thread a couple of times I think

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

Have I mentioned recently that Nyla is the best? Because Nyla's the best.

Sherri Martel told a story about being with The Midnight Rockers in the AWA, and seeing the two young guys playing with action figures, and thinking how weird they were. And then when she watched them closer, she saw that they would invent moves in the back with the action figures, then go out and do the moves in an actual match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Sherri Martel told a story about being with The Midnight Rockers in the AWA, and seeing the two young guys playing with action figures, and thinking how weird they were. And then when she watched them closer, she saw that they would invent moves in the back with the action figures, then go out and do the moves in an actual match.

This is one of those things where it's hard to divorce yourself from your current knowledge, because I can't think of anything especially mindblowing Michaels and Janetty did back in the day, they were just doing the same stuff a dozen other RnR Express ripoffs were doing, just they did it better than almost anyone but Morton and Gibson.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I wonder what kind of figures they were using. GI Joes would have worked the best but I kinda hope they were He-Man’s

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

apophenium posted:

I got back into wrestling recently and was watching some CM Punk matches (and promos) to see what all the fuss was about, and maybe it was because I was seeing too much of his work all at once, but it felt glaringly obvious when he was pushing his face into his opponent's head to call spots.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You should see him blade, doesn’t even try to hide it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I got back into wrestling recently and was watching some CM Punk matches (and promos) to see what all the fuss was about, and maybe it was because I was seeing too much of his work all at once, but it felt glaringly obvious when he was pushing his face into his opponent's head to call spots.
Remember how SCSA would lay guys out, then trash-talk them 2 inches from their face while they were lying there? Punk's not calling spots, it's just part of his gimmick as a guy who can't ever shut the gently caress up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Austin is the best to ever do that spot

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sandman from ECW posted:

I wonder what kind of figures they were using. GI Joes would have worked the best but I kinda hope they were He-Man’s

They were using WWE Zombies figures, which raised even more questions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Barbies to ensure they accurately accounted for how their fabulous 80s hair would help sell the motion

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It would be funny if a wrestler had a gimmick of calling spots as in character trash talking.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

big black turnout posted:

It would be funny if a wrestler had a gimmick of calling spots as in character trash talking.

Seriously, loudly yelling at them on the mat about exactly what you're going to do to them, and then actually do it as a cocky-heel "you can't stop me" sort of thing. Also sets up an instant comeback spot when someone does manage to counter something.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Seriously, loudly yelling at them on the mat about exactly what you're going to do to them, and then actually do it as a cocky-heel "you can't stop me" sort of thing. Also sets up an instant comeback spot when someone does manage to counter something.

MJF called side-headlock takedown, double clothesline, and kangaroo kick

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm gonna gut kick you and DDT you sucker and you BETTER not reverse the DDT into an armbar!!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

At least he did that. Foley just yelled spots in the middle of all his other incoherent yelling.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

At least he did that. Foley just yelled spots in the middle of all his other incoherent yelling.

Never heard that, unless a clothesline is called Aht Daht Chow Chow

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

apophenium posted:

Lmao "go up for the Beeboo Crawshanks, brother, it's a flat back bump"
in all seriousness, mastering the basic back and front bumps will cover like 99% of moves you're likely to take! Looking back on my limited ring time, I think the only sells that really threw me were a CrossRhodes-like maneuver and a mis-timed Pedigree

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Okay but why do people keep tucking their head for the Styles Clash

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay but why do people keep tucking their head for the Styles Clash

Because muscle memory says 'piledriver', which is way more common than the 2 or 3 guys who do the other move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Minidust posted:

in all seriousness, mastering the basic back and front bumps will cover like 99% of moves you're likely to take! Looking back on my limited ring time, I think the only sells that really threw me were a CrossRhodes-like maneuver and a mis-timed Pedigree

One time I misheard MJF telling me to do a basic front bump on a move and I somehow did the only perfect flip bump I will ever do in my life off what I think was supposed to be a snapmare. :allears: