Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Grey posted:

That part that I never understood... What's the problem with the Smackdown booker listening in on a Raw booking meeting?

Vince genuinely had the two shows competing with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vandar posted:

And if anybody thinks that that's a cartoonishly loving stupid thing to do, remember that a hyper capitalistic drive towards getting your business to compete with itself is pretty much exactly what poleaxed Sears America.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vandar posted:

If you have to compete with yourself, you're a monopoly and need to be broken up.

I attribute this to all things: corporations, schools, team scrimmages, the whole deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Every so often I think of this ad that was for the Hustle promotion and I can never find it.
It had Naoya Ogawa walking toward the camera on a street, singing a song, with some lyric like "Hassuru, hassuru, minja na de"

If anyone can link me to it, thanks a million.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's like the grocery industry where like 5 companies own everything but there's a million different sub-brands "competing" with each other. That was more or less Paul's original plan for expanding NXT globally.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is that why stuff like ICW getting pete dunne or noam dar etc hapoened?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Is that why stuff like ICW getting pete dunne or noam dar etc hapoened?

No that was part of WWE’s highly successful strategy of wrapping their tendrils around the britwres scene and then snuffing it the gently caress out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

How many world championships have been won by shoot brothers?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STING 64 posted:

How many world championships have been won by shoot brothers?

Matt & Jeff Hardy both held the TNA World title.
Kevin & Kerry Von Erich both held the WCWA World Heavyweight in World Class. Mike & Fritz both held it before it was made a World title in '86 (if Wikipedia is right)
Obviously Dory Jr & Terry Funk both held the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Title.
WWC Universal Heavyweight title in Puerto Rico was held by both Carly & Eddie Colon, plus by their father Carlos & their cousin Orlando
Jay & Mark Briscoe have both held the ROH World Title
Justice Pain & Nick Gage both held the CZW World Heavyweight Title.
I'm sure there's a lot in Mexico, Mil Mascaras & Dos Caras both held the WWA World Heavyweight Title. I'm assuming at least 2 of Los Hermanos Dinamita held world titles at some point but haven't checked.

Obviously there's not so many in the US in the territorial days because there weren't many World titles. And I can't think of many Japanese wrestling siblings off the top of my head. There's the Brahman Brothers & Saito Brothers, & there's Io & Mio Shirai, but don't think any of them have held the top title anywhere. And Stardom has the 3 sisters Hanan, Hina & Rina but they are all too young to be near the top belt there.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 6, 2024

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If you count the USWA "world" title as a world title, Doug and Eddie Gilbert were both multi-time champions down there.
Penta and Fenix both won the top belt in Lucha Underground, which was an underground championship, not a world one.
Mario Mario and Luigi Mario have won (i.e. become champions) in Super Mario World, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Golf World Tour and many other regional games.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I would guess the answer is DDT, but has there ever been a wrestling match outside at a ski resort? The weather would be less than ideal for the usual wrestling gear, but it was something I thought about yesterday snowboarding. If it was just a match in the snow then I imagine involving Sledding would be easier, and no psychos would try to do a move off the chair lift.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I looked it up, and there's an org called Shinshu Pro Wrestling that does matches every year(?) at the Sakae Club. It's a fun event with kids in mind; they don't sell tickets.

https://x.com/shidahikaru/status/1106857208434745344

https://x.com/MrMidSouth1984/status/1631926032080031747

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Incredible, and probably painful

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Smart of Super Delfin to fully cover himself.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hahaha Shida vacated the belt so she could take a crate of tomato juice home instead.

We need more wrestlers who contemplate vacating belts in exchange for food and drink. Like “I could remain champion, but my adversary has just offered me a Reuben sandwich with a soda and a pickle. Oh my lord, they’re toasting it too.”

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

I can't find it right now but I'm positive Sasuke did a similar spot down the stairs on a bike in DDT or M-Pro

E: I'm a page late - referring to the bike spots question

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
YouTube is overflowing with 1 hour homemade documentaries these days, but is there any particularly standout one about the beginnings of AEW, the (short lived?) ratings war, etc? Tumblr posts or whatever in text form would work as well.

It dawned on me that a lot of my disconnect with PSP/THH is how everybody has seemingly turned on WWE for alternatives for reasons, where I still sort of mentally exist in a WWE only bubble where alterantives don't exist. Outside of watching CM Punk's return match I have never really bothered with AEW, and that's because I completely fell out of wrestling in 2018. I've been trying to figure out where, and I think it was when WWE started doing publicity work for the Saudi government that I decided the habit I picked up in 1999 was over.

And that makes a lot of sense, because apparently AEW started about a year after that. So I figure starting with it's beginnings is a good way to catch up on what I've missed.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

YouTube is overflowing with 1 hour homemade documentaries these days, but is there any particularly standout one about the beginnings of AEW, the (short lived?) ratings war, etc? Tumblr posts or whatever in text form would work as well.

It dawned on me that a lot of my disconnect with PSP/THH is how everybody has seemingly turned on WWE for alternatives for reasons, where I still sort of mentally exist in a WWE only bubble where alterantives don't exist. Outside of watching CM Punk's return match I have never really bothered with AEW, and that's because I completely fell out of wrestling in 2018. I've been trying to figure out where, and I think it was when WWE started doing publicity work for the Saudi government that I decided the habit I picked up in 1999 was over.

And that makes a lot of sense, because apparently AEW started about a year after that. So I figure starting with it's beginnings is a good way to catch up on what I've missed.

the doc on CM Punk/MJF feud is excellent. The feud itself is mid and forgotten to history but the documentary is really impressive and worth watching if you like docs at all:
https://youtu.be/7CbZQpmacJI?si=__wsZ7rGic9Wp_On

I wish the guy who made it would make more its a really amazing piece of work and this is coming from a guy whose a Punk hater and pretty neutral on MJF

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

YouTube is overflowing with 1 hour homemade documentaries these days, but is there any particularly standout one about the beginnings of AEW, the (short lived?) ratings war, etc?

if you want a really well made documentary about a long term storyline that spanned the founding of AEW and beyond (and don't care about spoiling past major stories), this one is hard to beat

it does about as good a job as you could hope for with a story that spanned years and was told through a lot of slow burn TV and Vlog content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YJgm6Auz8

e; double recommends for the same channel, lol

too bad that person seemed to have been totally derailed after their Cody documentary premise didn't work out, even the teaser/opening they'd made for it was impressive

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 9, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So alright; we call the WWE Performance Center the torn ACL factory right? How many ACLs has it destroyed to date?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kvlt! posted:

the doc on CM Punk/MJF feud is excellent. The feud itself is mid and forgotten to history but the documentary is really impressive and worth watching if you like docs at all:
https://youtu.be/7CbZQpmacJI?si=__wsZ7rGic9Wp_On

I wish the guy who made it would make more its a really amazing piece of work and this is coming from a guy whose a Punk hater and pretty neutral on MJF

This was really cool, thanks. It actually kind of starts off with the show I watched and I kind of wondered where things went. I know someone else did a two-parter on Punk's AEW run but it's almost three hours long. Although lol at using "you stopped being on TV and that made me sad" as feud material. Even as someone who liked Punk for a while in the 2010s he quickly went from must-watch segments to being saddled with an assortment of people when it was clear they were not going to let him have a Stone Cold like run against the people at the top of the organization.

What I was particularly interested in was how Cody went from being apparently something of a founder of AEW to being in the opposing promotion again. When I stopped watching, he was gone with occasional tweets alternating between "I don't want to go back there" and "they don't want me back, I asked" (the latter being a Rumble cameo.)

The other doc suggests that while AEW has always been a mix of guys who topped cards in WWE and guys I've never heard of before, they're clearly more known by more people than I ever knew of. Kind of like before the current NXT brand, when WWE development was untelevised so Floridians always seemed to know way more about new people than everyone else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 9, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I know someone else did a two-parter on Punk's AEW run but it's almost three hours long.

That's Dropmick Wrestling, they've also done a few good ones on AEW storylines

including Dustin vs. Cody the match that made AEW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suYDY1fxk4

Brodie Lee's run in AEW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTzRX57FSk

Here's one on why Will Ospreay and Kenny Omega matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlyXLdtaaPY

3 hours on Cm Punk? how about 4 hours on STING!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_mmFSPZYY

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

We have a really in depth thread right in this forum about learning about aew

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056169

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Craptacular! posted:

What I was particularly interested in was how Cody went from being apparently something of a founder of AEW to being in the opposing promotion again. When I stopped watching, he was gone with occasional tweets alternating between "I don't want to go back there" and "they don't want me back, I asked" (the latter being a Rumble cameo.)

There's a great YouTube channel called Wrestling with Wregret where the host Brian Zane occasionally does a 20 minute dive into a specific wrestler/company run like Roddy Piper in WCW or Raven in WWF. He did a pretty good one about Cody Rhodes in AEW that shows how he started off as this beloved figure and gradually lost the fans by being too self-indulgent.

Shard posted:

We have a really in depth thread right in this forum about learning about aew

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056169

And that one's good too!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

There's a great YouTube channel called Wrestling with Wregret where the host Brian Zane occasionally does a 20 minute dive into a specific wrestler/company run like Roddy Piper in WCW or Raven in WWF. He did a pretty good one about Cody Rhodes in AEW that shows how he started off as this beloved figure and gradually lost the fans by being too self-indulgent.

I love Brian's stuff. And Jim Cornette hates him so, you know, badge of honor.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I love Brian's stuff. And Jim Cornette hates him so, you know, badge of honor.

IIRC Cornette hates him because of a really stupid twitter thing rather than whatever he posted in a review.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, Brian and Cornette used to be friendly enough that Cornette would make the occasional cameo on the channel with the joke being that he was Brian's father due to their resemblance. Then Brian defended comedy wrestling on social media and Cornette cut ties because how dare somebody say that it's okay to enjoy Orange Cassidy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

IIRC Cornette hates him because of a really stupid twitter thing rather than whatever he posted in a review.

Yeah, Brian didn't call out Cornette, he just said 'let people enjoy the wrestling they like, old man' because he'd been dealing with a lot of boomers upset Brian was defending people liking Orange Cassidy (and Joey Ryan, but this was pre Ryan's allegations coming to light) and some people snitch tagged to Cornette and it took off from there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Craptacular! posted:

I've been trying to figure out where, and I think it was when WWE started doing publicity work for the Saudi government that I decided the habit I picked up in 1999 was over.
Thank you for falling out for the right reasons

It annoys me constantly when people will say things like how "don't hate me for this but I like WWE's storytelling/matches with [whatever] more than AEW's" and I always think "dude I do not give a gently caress how good or bad the storylines are I care that they are a blood money laundering organization who also helped cover up sex trafficking"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

It annoys me constantly when people will say things like how "don't hate me for this but I like WWE's storytelling/matches with [whatever] more than AEW's" and I always think "dude I do not give a gently caress how good or bad the storylines are I care that they are a blood money laundering organization who also helped cover up sex trafficking"

Yeah this

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Shamefully, the impetus for me stopping watching was merely the one full hour of Baron Corbin raw

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

loving amen

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
A lot of us had different breaking points with the Fed. Mine was seeing the death of my fave, Eddie Guerrero, turned into an onscreen angle involving his wife. Then Benoit happened, Angle got fired because they were pretty sure he’d die, and I started to think more about the Fed’s responsibility in these things than about how awful Triple H was as the face of the company. I would try to force the feeling, but then Eugene would appear and I realized I loving hated WWE.

AEW got me back into wrestling after 20 years out. They’re not perfect but they have consistently great in-ring action and aspire to be part of a global pro-wrestling scene rather than destroy all other promotions. From all accounts the Fed is doing gigantic business and if people want to watch it, that’s none of my business. But there is nothing they could do to get me back after 25 years other than repudiate everything they’ve ever done and become a different company, which is an even stupider fantasy than fake fighting in underwear. I still have some fond memories from when I was young, but they are tainted.

Anyhow, the first AEW match that I saw which truly blew me away was Danielson/Hangman 2. That this bloody, incredible match was on TV and not PPV was unbelievable. I didn’t watch wrestling when Danielson was in the Fed, so it was quite the revelation. Be sure to check out his match with Kenny Omega and his matches against Hangman.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Integrated Houston posted:

A lot of us had different breaking points with the Fed. Mine was seeing the death of my fave, Eddie Guerrero, turned into an onscreen angle involving his wife. Then Benoit happened, Angle got fired because they were pretty sure he’d die, and I started to think more about the Fed’s responsibility in these things than about how awful Triple H was as the face of the company. I would try to force the feeling, but then Eugene would appear and I realized I loving hated WWE.

HHH and Benoit were mine for sure, and I hate this flattening effect where I'm just supposed to enjoy the good wrestling that everyone puts out when a) I don't like the wrestling in WWE outside of maybe three people and b) they're an awful company run by awful people. I also don't like their Disney Adult fans who want wrestling to be a monoculture where one company owns everything.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think my breaking point was when they botched the gently caress out of the nexus. It was the first cool thing to happen in a very long time and it made a lot of sense, and when they hosed that up was when I realized that even with wwe handed a reall cool opportunity theyd ruin it for no reason.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have basically no memories of wwe post invasion, but the nexus debut? Man that poo poo ruled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eighteen Seconds.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Defenestrategy posted:

I think my breaking point was when they botched the gently caress out of the nexus. It was the first cool thing to happen in a very long time and it made a lot of sense, and when they hosed that up was when I realized that even with wwe handed a reall cool opportunity theyd ruin it for no reason.

I feel like they eventually got the Nexus concept right with The Shield. The problem is that stables are bad for wrestling, and they eventually figured out that 3/4 man gangs like The Shield and The New Day and Hurt Business (and of course, the Four Horsemen but they'll never let themselves use that one) allow for flexibility in matches without going full blown as 10-12 man stable. This should not be news, the nWo was way more exciting with the first three guys than it was with thirty, but for reasons it took bookers a very long time to figure this out.

The identity of the mini-stable also allows someone new to show up with some small amount of transitive heat, rather than being a total "who? Who the gently caress?" like I became the last time I peeked at wrestling and saw Kurt Angle retire to some guy who couldn't draw heat from an active volcano.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I already wasn't feeling the product, the show turning into propaganda at the same time as the Khashoggi murder just made it easy to forget to return. I'm sure if they had some amazing storyline that I'd be talking about it through it, just like how I'm currently jazzed to see The Rock become a living Duke Nukem once again just to find that most of goondom is giving e-swirlies to anyone who watches Raw.

But yeah, that was just the breaking point, I already wasn't sure what the gently caress I was doing when Punk's "this company sucks!" angle was met with HHH going "yeah, and?" before being shuffled off to random people; and before you know it Punk's worked-shoot "real talk" character means his feud with Undertaker is working the idea that the urn has Paul Bearer's ashes in it, and now all men in the entire angle look bad.

Integrated Houston posted:

A lot of us had different breaking points with the Fed. Mine was seeing the death of my fave, Eddie Guerrero, turned into an onscreen angle involving his wife.
That's fair, but she was fully on board with it and kept her family taken care of with it. I remember her last appearance they played the Eddie entrance tune and she did his shimmy before leaving. I wasn't a fan of Vickie's onscreen persona, but I was a little relieved by the conclusion that she at least seemed to be enjoying herself and hoped she made him proud, than just suffering whatever indignities she has to in order to keep the bereavement checks flowing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This is the sort of thing that happens to the human psyche because of Dunbar's Number. It's not just extremely easy to abstract the horrible things WWE (or most companies), it's inevitable because our brains just can't connect to the victims in the same way as our friends and family. It's one of those things responsible for the degeneracy of the human condition. But on the other hand it keeps us from going catatonic with grief over things happening half a world away.

The breaking point for me was Brian Danielson being sent to a farm right after winning the world title. I had already mostly checked out after Orton immediately took the title from Danielson at Summerslam. Realizing that the whole point of that angle was to put over The Authority and not Danielson made me realize that WWE wasn't incompetent in its booking, it was malicious. That was it for me because it erased all hope of things ever getting better.

Then the Saudi deal was announced and that just cemented the decision.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

That's fair, but she was fully on board with it and kept her family taken care of with it. I remember her last appearance they played the Eddie entrance tune and she did his shimmy before leaving. I wasn't a fan of Vickie's onscreen persona, but I was a little relieved by the conclusion that she at least seemed to be enjoying herself and hoped she made him proud, than just suffering whatever indignities she has to in order to keep the bereavement checks flowing.

I get that, and I don’t blame Vicki. Using Eddie as an angle has been defended by many, including Rey, Vicki, and Orton, as being “what Eddie would have wanted,” and they probably know better than me. But I was just really not ready for nor interested in that poo poo. Like, what kind of business loving does that?