Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The longest roh show I went to was glory by honor 7 which had something like 5 title matches two 30 minute intermissions and a really long war games match. I got to see my hero kensuke sasaki wrestle though so everything was worth it. The longest wrestling show I went to was this most recent wrestlemania where me and my friends accidentally showed up early because we forgot about time zones and then we got trapped in the death line for a train, we just eventually walked through the rain up Paterson Plank Road until we found a gas station and took a $140 uber from there. The experience itself was a little over 12 hours but we watched Chase Owens try to carry up way too much Mediterranean Food through the hotel and that almost made it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Becky, Sasha, and Bayley had all been wrestling long before NXT.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Roman and Charlotte? Braun would have been if they didn't constantly cut his legs out from under him.

Braun completely bypassed the NXT system.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im not massrafter but i have an immense ring of honor dvd collection (missing a lot of 2002-2003 though)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

[Doubt]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Make young was absolutely as bad as moolah. She lived with her for the majority of her later years in life and was as big a part in squashing womens wrestling out in the US as Moolah.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brb gonna commission Dave Millican to craft a Custody of Dominick Mysterio belt

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scotty too hotty did a lot of jobbing in the early 90s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Young Bucks and Ohno were doing Mocap for a couple of the games in the last few years. I remember the SAFETY OF THE MOVES being totally ridiculous at times. I think it was either 12 or 13 that featured a Package Piledriver which was a package piledriver setup, but then delicately dropping the wrestler on their chest instead of their head.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The Alamo is showing a Nightmare Freddy vs. Super Leatherface match before the special NoES showing, and I love it.

i miss alamo drafthouse :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

after he did quick tours with ajpw, he probably lifted it from watching Riki Choshu.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

who has the best 450 splash

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the worst one was when he caved in chavo's eye socket.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What led to the decline in popularity of women's wrestling in Japan?

it was a combination of a lot of things, lots of splinter groups popping up which caused the fan bases to dilute and stars leaving/retiring young because of archaic rules and policies some of the bigger promotions had (a common one was being forced to retire when you reached the ripe old age of 26), but most importantly the japanese economy took a horrific hit in the 1990s and money in the joshi feds were some of the quickest to dry up, AJW, the main joshi promotion, seemingly overnight losing nearly their entire roster and a key tv time slot on local television. this probably wasn't helped with the rising popularity of UWFi and pancrase, which led to pride just basically taking over wrestling's spot in the culture popularity wise.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Why did WWF go public? Was it related to XFL, were they raising capital for another reason, or was it just a late 90s "we're making money so let's make an IPO and make even more money!" kinda deal?

vince loves money

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

I forget who it was that had Carcinogenic Right Hands. Big Show had a typewriter-like head

shane carwin

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Wasnt that a Trump campaign slogan?

good post

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Double-post, but what the gently caress? Taker gives Triple H a stinger with the Tombstone, so everybody else is now prohibited from doing piledrivers...except Taker. And Kane.

this is like when billy kidman, known fucker-upper of the shooting star press, crushed chavo's orbital with a shooting star press and wwe in retaliation banned the move from everyone except kidman. then when paul london started using a 450, vince fined him because he was told "no more shooting star." london explained he did a 450, not a shooting star, so vince's solution was to ban that move too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

steiner screwdriver is right there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anarchy pro out of austin runs The Mohawk, a fairly small and outdoor concert venue. wrestlers used to be able to do dives and flips from the balcony but the owners don't let that happen anymore since they can't afford an ambulance on standby.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

what rwestler do you think drinks a lot of pop? drinks a lot of soda

new jack threw a full can of sprite at the back of gabe sapolsky's head because he asked for a 7up and not a sprite

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

Why is Hiro Matsuda not in the Observer Hall of Fame?

what makes him hall of fame worthy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i like imagine dragons :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Nice, thanks. I'll probably do select matches from FF and FftF (that's a lot of Fs) and then go straight to All Out.

Do any more OWE/DG guys show up? I was pretty stoked about Cima's crew showing up on DoN.

sadly only el lindaman/t-hawk show up. OWE as we know it is dissolved with the company relocating to Cambodia.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was watching an old roh dvd (ring of homicide 2) and saw daizee haze vs billie kay. this was over 11 years ago. who are some other wrestlers that had some pretty obscure beginnings in semi major feds (roh, pwg, tna, etc) that wound up later getting a wwe main roster spot?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

flair

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

riki choshu.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 6, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Karl Ontario posted:

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

this is why paul turner is secretly the best referee

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I remember the candido title defense because it aired during the live preview to the show on the Barker channel so there was a last second hook of WHAT WILL THE MAIN EVENT BE? ORDER RIGHT NOW

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the greatest wrestler of all time is Kazuchika Okada.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the most overbooked match ever?

jeff jarrett vs raven for the nwa title

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

AEW's lady ref is named Aubrey Edwards, she's great. WWE has one female ref, Jessika Carr, I believe her name is.

There haven't been any female refs because wrestling is a lovely business full of lovely people.

vince sexually assaulted the last full time one they had.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I have a truly random wrestling question that just came to mind as I was trying to fall asleep.

I was in that infamous "Change the Channel" Hammerstein Ballroom crowd for WWECW. Its probably one of the most fun sports/concert memories I have (the whole show, not just the one part). I remember at the time that a huge percentage of the fanbase was furious at us and insisted we disrespected the wrestlers and were only there to make ourselves the stars and would only be satisfied with ECW leftovers. I argued that it was silly, we went crazy for CM Punk, we were excited about Kurt Angle vs the Brooklyn Brawler, and we were there for a drat Dreamer/Sandman vs Test/Mike Knox match. I felt at the time (and I think most there did as well) that WWE knew we would respond to those things and also knew if they had given us any half way expected or preferred main event that wouldn't have happened but they basically gave us the worst possible match.

I wonder how people feel about that now. Its weird looking back. ECW is dead, buried, dug up, buried, dug up, etc so many times even us old diehards are kind of over it. CM Punk went from beloved indie star to hated sellout. Batista was "Mr. WWE" in every negative sense at the time and is now beloved. Everyone seems way more sympathetic to the idea that WWE seems to book things that they should know better than and sometimes almost to spite audiences. Everyone also seems to appreciate fans that are engaged and saying what they think more nowadays, even if its disapproving. And hell, that's a pretty terrible show card looking back and I can't even imagine watching that show on TV today. I can't even imagine paying to see a WWE show now let alone being that emotionally invested.

So I don't know. I just couldn't sleep and for some reason that came to mind. I wonder how you folks feel about it now?

i wish i could find the posts from around that time where we were blessed with "tommy dreamer doing all of these jobs is tarnishing the legacy that ECW left behind"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you're okay with goin through the back catalog njpw world is a good investment but they don't have any scheduled shows for the next few weeks due to covid concerns, iwtv has a lot of unique content and you get access to black label pro, beyond, chikara and more.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i forgot the password to my @lycos.com email address

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What are the most underrated video packages? Everybody knows the Rock vs Austin WM17 one but I prefer the 19 one:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pps7

I dont have a rip of it but the video package for Bryan Danielson vs Takeshi Morishima before their match at Final Battle 2008 was really well done and was a great summary of their 18 month feud

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The Wrestling What-If thread got me thinking: what happened with Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno? Dude went from Indy Darling to Hopeful NXT prospect hampered by injury/fat, back to grizzled Indy Darling, back to NXT gatekeeper?

Could he not stay healthy and that’s why he is where he is now (which is what, exactly?)?

Edit: admittedly, I stopped watching WWE/NXT a while ago so I haven’t been keeping tabs.

he's quietly transitioned into more of a coach/trainer role with NXT and gets a good enough salary to not have to keep up the hustle of working indies anymore. He was most recently wrestling for NXT UK which im sure was just something he requested so he could remain a global guy and whenever NXT Japan starts up i would not be shocked to see him as one of the starting players for that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Now we know the many and varied occasions where WWE has hosed up on a wrestler that was supposedly was fool-proof and unfuckupable.

But has there been an instance of the opposite? Where WWE took someone who everybody thought was a charismaless lunk with no wrestling skill, and turned them into someone fun to watch.

Also given WCW also wasted multiple people, did they ever do the opposite.

batista

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Generico posted:

Has anyone ever done a tag match where each time has a limited number of tags?

You know what this is a concept I'd like to see experimented with and explored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Everyone share your shameful wrestling confessions and admissions

Here's mine: I liked big shows ecw title run. I thought he was booked as an effective monster and I looked forward to his matches to see who hed be booked against next