Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the same Maria that Mick Foley had a problem with? I never read his third book and didn't pay attention to TNA or anything at the time, what was with that whole debacle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is that the same Maria that Mick Foley had a problem with? I never read his third book and didn't pay attention to TNA or anything at the time, what was with that whole debacle?

Anyone?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cavauro posted:

Maybe it was Melina. She refused to have sex witgh Mick Foley even though he called her beautiful, which really got his goat

Oh yeah, Melina, I'm sorry. I got the two confused. I just remember people talking about how they lost a lot of respect for Foley because of what happened with her and how he gets really creepy about it in his third book. I've just never seen it explained beyond what I've already typed, so I was wondering if someone could elaborate.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of my favorite J-E-DOUBLE-F-J-A-DOUBLE-R-E-DOUBLE-T-HA-HA moments is when his action figure couldn't have "Don't Piss Me Off!" on the shirt, so it was changed to "Don't **** Me Off!" which is so much worse.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is there a reason a bunch of WWE wrestlers are suddenly being given finishers that were made popular by stars from twenty years ago? Kevin Owens doing the Stunner, Wyatt doing the mandible claw, I'm pretty sure Ziggler has been using a superkick, etc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, lovely

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ziggler being crazy over seems like it happened before the Lex Express at this point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't watching wrestling for most of Santino's run, so what the gently caress was the Honk-O-Meter?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, it was just referring to Honky Tonk Man? I thought it was something about his snake hand sock or maybe he wore a clown nose.

I loving hate Santino.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't worry, I'm not MassRafTer, I'm not going to insist that Santino was always terrible simply because I personally wasn't a fan of his work.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That is absolutely adorable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have no idea, but at least he's about to be written off television because Fox wants more of a sports-like presentation without so much authority bullshit.

It's a shame, I was actually excited to see Shane after so many years away when he came back in 2014 or whenever. Then he proceeded to dominate loving everything and bury people just like his dad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shine posted:

That's the most cute and ineffectual threat I've seen since:

How about "Don't get me steamed?" or "Don't steam my clams?"

Shine posted:

Mark Henry set powerlifting records over 20 years ago that still stand. He's loving incredible.

Didn't he just do some competition not that long ago and it was as though the previous twenty years hadn't passed by?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was the spot that caused Shawn Michaels to wear a bandage on his head for like six months in 1997?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also was Mae Young a gigantic piece of poo poo like Moolah? I've forgotten because there are so many of them in wrestling.

From what I recall she was Moolah's muscle, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Haha, the Smackdown debut on Fox had Lesnar squashing Kofi for the title in five seconds? Get hosed WWE.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 5, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has Konstantine Kyros every had a successful lawsuit against WWE?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shine posted:

I think Brock's 2014 squash of Cena got four stars. Cena had two brief hope spots, but otherwise got destroyed for like 15 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xeWnGI.gifv

Goddamn that match was beautiful :allears:

We couldn't enjoy that match as much as we would've liked because we were at my friend's house for the PPV and his wife's special needs little brother was there and he was inconsolable as a huge John Cena fan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Crush just start using the same facepaint from his Demolition days when he became "Japanese Sympathizer Crush"?

Also, when I was a kid, I always wanted a pair of Adam Bomb glasses. At a house show in the early 90s I was in the front row and Bret Hart gave me his glasses. The cord was already broken and the foam around the edges was soaked in Bret sweat. I threw them out on the way home because I didn't like him at the time and they smelled loving terrible. I was nine years old.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ChrisBTY posted:

My hot take is that Big Show was simply too versatile a character (if not a wrestler) to be pidgeonholed into the "monster" role.

I always liked face Show who's a nice and funny guy but don't piss him off because his hand is bigger than your thorax.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really enjoyed his run as best friends with Kevin Owens, culminating in the Festival of Friendship and I believe the first time someone turned heel on him instead of the other way around. And he sold it so well.

"...how come my name's on this?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Jeremy Borash signed by WWE like a year ago? I haven't heard anything about him ever since.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Schneider Heim posted:

When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

That reminds me of Survivor Series 1990 when the Undertaker was supposed to be a surprise mystery man that nobody but Dibiase and Brother Love knew about, and then Gorilla yells "TOMBSTONE!!" when Taker hits it the very first time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

On the flip side, not many people give the chokeslam a name. It's usually just called a chokeslam.

Yeah, but when the Giant was in WCW, it was AAAAAAAHHHHTHECHOOOKESSSSSLLLLLAAAAAAAAMMMMM!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every once in a while I'm reminded of that Disturbed song and that the lyrics sounded like "Step off 'cause you're the next woman I'm gonna kill you don't believe it but I'm betting that you will"

And I'm pretty sure the chorus is "I'M KILLING THE LIVING INSIDE YOU" which is loving embarrassing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Triple H's theme at one point was about working in a deli.

"Yo let's make a sandwich for that Triple H"

and

"ALL YOUR STUPID ROLLS"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Test's theme, of course, has no lyrics. If it does I never want to know what they are.

One part sounds like "SITTIN' DOWN WITH THE COCHISE"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

I used to host ppv parties and always tried to get new people to come. The new person at that event was way into the match and then just deflated at the finish. I was already used to wrestling disappointing me.

Not TNA, but the still from that Australian tour used in the Grantland article header is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in wrestling. Just a tired Ric Flair covered in blood gasping at a tired Hulk Hogan covered in blood.

Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life

Reminder that this was eight years ago before Flair married his fifth wife. Because he's totally fine.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Step up! Cause you're the next one in line for the kill. You don't believe me but I'm betting that you will.
Step up! I'll let you live a little bit with the pain that I bring. You know it's only the beginning.
I'm breaking the limit inside you, stop begging someone to hide you.
I'm breaking the limit inside you, don't run away, bring it on straight to me

I didn't want the actual lyrics, but thank you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also makes Piper look like a loving idiot because he's the one that came up with the stipulations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When Sid had his “winning streak” during the Goldberg feud was it played up seriously or tongue in cheek?

I may be giving WCW too much credit, but I believe it was supposed to be comical. They misspelled "millennium" the entire time, and they would do things like have Sid appear on Nitro with 33-0 and then on Thunder with 37-0 even though he only had one victory in between, and Heenan would say "That's because he beat three people up in the back before he came out here tonight!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not signs, but I always appreciate life-sized cutouts of wrestlers slowly rising up on the hard camera, especially if it's a giant head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't JR used to yell "SOUPBONE!!" when Taker or maybe Kane would punch people?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know some guys in WCW used to do it, but not with the effect of the coins spilling everywhere. I think there's also a story of one of the Rougeau Brothers knocking out one of the British Bulldogs backstage (or vice versa) sometime in the 80s with the same method.

It was Jacques retaliating against Dynamite's usual bullshit. He went backstage and knocked out a few of Kid's teeth with a roll of quarters in his fist.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think I'm up to date with all of the Crown Jewel bullshit except for the content of Stephanie's Smackdown promo. What was it that she was supposedly forced to say?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured it was something like that, but some of the reports made it sound much worse. Like I was expecting a "Khashoggi screwed Khashoggi" type of thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

What did he say when Heidenreich had him up against a wall?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Cameo posted:

Cole screaming “C’MON DANIEL! C’MON DANIEL! TAP OUT BATISTA! TAP OUT BATISTA!” and abandoning all impartiality as a play by play guy is probably his best moment since just going “WHAT?!” in response to the glass shattering in the Mankind/Rock title match. He’s a dude you can clearly tell the difference between him actually being caught up in a moment or being told to be caught up in it.

Especially considering he was instructed to poo poo on Bryan for loving years prior to that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've always been curious how much longer the Cole/Lawler storyline would have gone on if King didn't have a heart attack live on air. Wasn't it already a year and a half by that point or something?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want to see Kane fight the Undertaker one more time at WrestleMania for the position of Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
HORSESHIT