Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had it in my head that Bruno was in the battle royal with the NFL guys too.

He was.

The Wild Samoans never wrestled at Mania, and Sika had made a brief comeback in the mid-80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

No, it was early in Rey's WWE run so it would have been around 2002 when Kurt still had hair. You're thinking of bald Kurt.

Which also reminds me of Kurt wearing a wig under an amateur wrestling helmet and insisting his hair had grown back after he lost a hair vs. hair match :allears:

Buddy Roberts did the same thing years earlier when he lost a hair vs hair match

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Roma was gifted athletically (he was the first guy I ever saw do a hands free leap from the mat to the top rope), and had a good look, but he been portrayed as a jobber for so long that he couldn't shake that stigma. Even when the WWF turned him heel and teamed him with Hercules and Slick, he was still thought of as a jobber. For him to have been taken seriously, the WWF would've had to do a lot more to make him credible than simply turn him heel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Minidust posted:

There was also the extra-polite variation with “don’t make me mad!” printed on the guitar :kiddo:

I love that:

A) the guitar is given a blurb on the package
and
B) it appears that the figure's hands are molded into fists, so it can't actually hold the guitar

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jesse Ventura was at least 99% Graham.

It's genuinely thought that as his heel reign progressed, that Superstar began getting more and more over. But apparently Vince Sr really liked to plan ahead, so much so, that he had already decided that Backlund would be champ before Graham beat Sammartino, so Graham was basically a ten month transitional champion.

But there's no denying that Graham had tons of charisma, and was exactly what Vince Jr saw as the ideal wrestler. He would've definitely turned him face and given him a Hogan/Cena-esqe push if he had been in charge at the time.

Also, it's considered a sign of a great wrestler if they can make it look as though they're working stiff when they're actually not.

And it was just the way of the time where you would have a traveling champion. You'd have a champion of a promotion, but then a couple of times a year the World Champion (who usually belonged to another promotion) would show up for an angle. It made for a big deal when someone challenged for the World title.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 28, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm watching Dynamite atm and JR and Schiavone are talking about Jericho's "longevity" in the business, which made me curious about something, so I looked it up: Ric Flair debuted in 1972, and his last World Championship win was in 2000, 28 years later. Jericho's debut was in 1990, and he's currently a World Champion in 2019, 29 years later. They weren't kidding. Has anybody in American wrestling topped that? I'm sure there's some guys in Mexico who went 30+ between debut and final top title win but they also seem to stay active and prominent way longer than in the US, or that's the impression I've gotten anyway.

Verne Gagne made his debut in 1949, and won the AWA World title one final time in 1980, a difference of 31 years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I've seen some guys who went on to become names jobbing on the 92 episodes of Superstars.

Perry Saturn, Headbanger Thrasher, Jason Knight. Probably more.

Hardyz are famous for this

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Big Show & Kane as a team were great.

When Kane got locked in a room and Big Show desperately is trying to open the door to save him, and Kane just appears from around the corner and say's I just used the other door. :xd:

Really it seems most teams with Big Show in them were great.

There was a story a ring announcer (or some crew member) told about being at an arena once, and going off to take a private call. He accidentally ended up locked in a room with no way out, and to make things worse, he couldn't break down the door because it was a steel fire door. He banged on the door, screaming for help, when he finally heard, on the other side, the Big Show say "Stand away from the door."

The guy said with one kick, the Big Show opened the door by shearing the bolt completely off the door.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

As "The Rock" Don Muraco, he used the Tombstone piledriver, but it was never called a Tombstone. First time I ever heard it called the Tombstone was at Taker's debut.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, he very much followed the Hansen rule of “just steamroll them with your bicep and let god sort it out”, although that Heathgif (:dadjoke:) shows him working it real soft

At least in Hansen's "defense" he's practically blind without glasses so he just throws his arm hoping to connect with something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

When Flair left WCW with the belt, didn't the court rule that because he had put down collateral on it (I want to say it was $20-40,000) they had to either give him his money or give up the belt?

Back in the day, the NWA Champion was required to put a deposit down ($25, 000.00) on the belt, to keep them from scampering off with the title. The money was basically put into an account, earning interest, and when the champ lost, he got his money back and then some. Since Flair never lost the title for any extended period of time in the 80s (his longest time without the belt was 6 months), he never bothered to ask for his deposit back, since he knew he was getting the title back.

Flash forward to 1991, when Flair had a falling out with WCW because of Jim Herd. Jim demanded he lose the belt, Flair said no, so Herd told him to hand over the belt. Flair said he could have the belt when Herd gave him his $25, 000 + interest. Herd told Flair "gently caress you", so Flair called Vince, and told him he was coming to the WWF, and he was bringing the belt with him, since Flair considered it his property, because he didn't get his money back for it.

That led to the whole "Real World's Champion" angle on WWF TV, with Heenan showing the belt. WCW then took the WWF to court over the matter, claiming copyright infringement or some such thing. The WWF had to take the belt off TV during the hearing, so they had Flair wear one of Tag Team belts, which they digitally obscured. Though it was obvious that that was what he was wearing.

The judge ruled in WCW's favor, and that the belt was a symbol of the company, to which the WWF had to return it. I think Flair got his money back as a result, but I'm not entirely sure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1188349596038238208?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I have no idea if this is legitimately true, but I've heard and seen in comic books that if you put a roll of coins in your hand it's almost like a brass knuckle effect if you punch someone. Has anyone in wrestling used that as a spot? It seems like it could be similar to a brass knucks spot, but then you could gimmick the roll of quarters to make coins spray everywhere and have a bigger visual.

Oh yeah, it's an old spot. Curt Hennig won the AWA World Title that way, Tully Blanchard beat Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match at Starrcade 86 after walloping him with a roll of coins.

The only problem is often the coins go flying after contact, so the ref looks stupid when he sees the mat littered with quarters, an unconscious wrestler, yet still counts the pin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HCTP was the best for storyline, and, for me, what was the best feature: it retained whoever were the last champions when you started a new one, instead of returning to the default champions. You could even quit the career mode half way through, and start a new one, and it wouldn't reset the champions.

SYM wasn't bad, but making you literally run around backstage after every match in hopes of progressing really brought it down. HCTP jettisoned that in favor of a menu which was infinitely superior.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the point of banning closed fists?

The sport is WRESTLING, not BOXING. :colbert:

(But yeah, that's basically the kayfabe reason. They're supposed to wrestle, not punch each other.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

Then they should ban kicks too!

Technically, they're not allowed to strike with the toe of the boot (but the sole of the foot is fine)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

anakha posted:

Are there any vids of this happening in the ring? A quick YT search came up empty.

Jericho talked about it his book; apparently it was big in the Euro rings, and Fit Finlay was the best at pissing a crowd off so much that the money would rain in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I agree, and looking back I'm surprised they let him do it. Wasn't that after piledrivers were banned for everyone but Taker, Kane, and occasionally Lawler?

Before, but when Rikishi did it, no one was ever in danger of having their head hit the mat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I think Edge was a babyface when he won it. And Billy Gunn too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question:

What is the difference between RVD's Five Star Frog Splash and a regular one? I seem to remember he always clutched at his stomach or something after doing it too, at least in the video games so I guess it even hurts him more?

It was 5 Star because RVD was doing it. He was "The Whole F'N Show", "Mr. Monday Night", so his finisher was better than every one else's.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

His stuff in Florida was legendary, and really edgy for the time (since most other promoters wouldn't risk promoting a satanic gimmick).

His running The Varsity Club stable in the NWA was good, but he was hampered in WCW since there was no way he was going to be allowed to be a out there as he could be.

After the WWF did the whole "Ministry" thing in the Attitude era, and pretty much homogenized it, most of the stuff he did back in the day, nowadays, seems quaint.

edit: A couple of months back I found myself going down the wormhole, watching hours upon hours from his stuff from Florida it was that compelling.

edit edit: Also felt bad for poor jobber Jim Backlund, who was on the show every week, getting the poo poo kicked out of him. (although he later became Jimmy Del Rey of The Heavenly Bodies)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 20, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Is there any place to watch old Continental Wrestling Association shows?

Amazon Prime has collections of shows

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Well I'll be damned. I never thought Amazon would have this much wrestling stuff. This rules.

I was mostly looking for the Jimmy Hart's First Family stuff from back then. I could be asking for the completely wrong promotion though.

Edit: Oh I'm about to fall down this rabbit hole hard. Old poo poo from the 80s and early 90s is my favorite winter viewing fare.

My timelines may be skewed, but I think they started to "officially" call themselves "CWA" after the Hart/Lawler stuff. Before then they were known as "Mid-Southern" (Not to be confused with Bill Watts' Mid-South. Also don't confuse Jarrett & Lawler's Memphis "Continental Wrestling Association" with the Fullers' "Continental Wrestling Federation/Continental Championship Wrestling" from around the same time period).

For some of the First Family stuff, trying searching for "Memphis Wrestling" (or something similar) and see if that helps. Also, keep in mind, back then, they would just tape over the old programs with newer shows, so a lot of that stuff might not even exist anymore.

Youtube's not a bad place to look either.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 21, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Was waiting to catch the first overt racism in these Memphis videos and

"I hate Orientals"

-Jimmy Hart

I knew Memphis had a rep, but godamn.

Oh and there's Joe Leduc slinging the F slur.

I can't remember to whom it was said, but I saw one ep where Lawler also tossed out the F slur.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

What tag team had the biggest disparity in talent? And proper tag teams only don’t just say Okada and Yoshi Hashi

Rick Steiner and Judy Bagwell. :colbert:

seriously though:

Arn Anderson and Paul Roma
Bobby Eaton and George Gulas
Rick Steiner with Bill Kazmeier
Rick Steiner and Kenny Kaos

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

The only casket match I know of that hasn't involved the Undertaker was Fenix/Mil Muertes from Lucha Underground.
...Holy poo poo Darby Allin could become the new casket match guy. He's already up to body bags.

Here ya go. First one I ever saw. Dusty Rhodes vs Ivan Koloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zw71NDBt1Q

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DDP said every time he took Savage's elbow that it tore the meat from his ribs.

Low Desert Punk posted:

how come shawn michaels never gets poo poo for not drawing money in the 90s?

Well, you see, the business is cyclical. So when business was down with Diesel, it was because he couldn't draw, not that business was on a downswing. When business was down with Shawn, it was because the business was on a downswing, not because he couldn't draw.

Makes sense? Not really.

ChrisBTY posted:

How does one realize that they can't do the SSP anymore?

When everyone in the back says "For god's sake, Billy Kidman, you're going to kill someone!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Further proof that the best finisher in the industry right now is the Rainmaker. Anybody can do a clothesline!

Didn't Nigel suffer numerous arm injuries due to performing the lariat?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

I posted this in the main WWE thread the other day

https://twitter.com/PWUnlimited/status/1206707645005983746?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I can't believe I keep being surprised by how incredibly petty they are.

Can't wait until the technology gets good enough so they can just completely replace him with another wrestler using CGI.

"It's the SHIELD! Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, and Baron Corbin!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

The World Bodybuilding Federation was probably a little later than what you’re looking for but I think that was one of the first times it became clear that Vince A: wanted to branch out from wrestling and B: wasn’t very good at things that weren’t wrestling

Before the WBF, Vince's "Titan Sports" tried promoting a boxing match, a Sugar Ray Leonard fight.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/1/19/1259613/a-quick-look-at-wwes-other-non

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PWI stopped recognizing the TNA belt as a World title. It doesn't mean they're "indie", it just means that the belt isn't as "prestigious" as other "World" titles.

PWI and its sister magazines would only officially recognized a few promotions claim to have a "World" championship. In the 80s, that was the NWA, the AWA, and the WWF. Other promotions could claim to have world champions (WCCW, ICW, CWA in Memphis, WWA), but PWI wouldn't recognize those claims. In their magazines, they would simply be listed, for example, as the WCCW Heavyweight Champion, or the ICW Heavyweight Champion. It was just a way to make the "sport" appear more legitimate.

One of the criteria for being listed as a World title was having some sort of national presence. The NWA had TBS, AWA had ESPN, WWF had USA/NBC.
Once they started doing regular PPVs and (I think) got on TNN, PWI began recognizing the ECW title as a "World" championship.

But they would also strip "World" recognition as well. For most of late 70s to early 80s, the WWWF title wasn't recognized as a "World" title, because they never left the northeast. After 30 years, PWI stopped recognizing the AWA title as a "World" as the promotion was going down the drain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

What would people say is the most famous/iconic face turn in wrestling history?

Andre turning heel in 87
Hogan at Bash at the Beach

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

just checked and I definitely put "face" not "heel"

Yeah, I read that wrong. Thought you were asking for one or the other.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I dunno if video exists, but Dusty faceturn in the 70s is supposed to be epic

Judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJuZ-8eTaA

Basically, in a tag match, his partner accidentally hit him, so Dusty beat him up in response, turning face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Not a wrestler, but who's showed the same long-term commitment to their mullet as Jimmy Hart? All time greatest, I say.

Ricky Morton.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I wish there was a DDP bluray set

https://www.amazon.com/WWE-Diamond-...5MGSJ493EBJJ4YG

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

rujasu posted:

A while ago, I went back and watched some of Sting's early matches. Two things stuck out at me - one, like you say he was extremely over with the crowd from the beginning, and two, I got more of an appreciation of why that big corner splash was a signature move for him. As a young guy, he was getting some serious height on that thing and it looked drat impressive.

It helped that JCP booked him extremely well upon their purchase of the UWF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXFUvKauq4

Seeing him in squash matches like that every week and you can't but help to get behind the guy. I should know; I was one of the fans at this time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr. Perfect lost his unbeaten streak to Warrior, but had a program with Hogan and became one of the best IC champs ever afterwards.

Man, Perfect absolutely could have been a decent WWE champion.

Lost it to Beefcake at Wrestlemania, not Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Tanahashi. Regardless of when asked. Yes, even during his soccer mom bob phase.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1226238137422241792?s=20