Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've never seen a Jeff Jarrett match :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

forkboy84 posted:

Perfect time to change that, Meltzer gave JJ vs HBK at In Your House 2 ****1/2

I actually watched that match and now I can declare that Jeff Jarrett was ~always good~.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

If you forget (even for a little while) that they are play fighting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Seams posted:

Wrestlers should scream the name of their finishing move as loud as possible when they do it

Same, but every move.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
But who is lineally Rock Bottomed into dog poop?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Brother of Certified G.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fatherofmustard posted:

Because there are match types that involve multiple falls or no falls.

Ah, the famed Can’t Be Stopped For Any Reason match.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's what I was going to say.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's pretty amusing how the only women's match in WM30 was a 14-woman single-fall match that took less than seven minutes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are notable Rumble examples of a jobber/lower midcarder eliminating a big star.

Maven & Undertaker, anything else?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randaconda posted:

That and they had hosed up the booking of Brock/Angle. Instead of Brock being the giant unbeatable monster, he was the face for some dumb reason

I had just started watching wrestling, so I was easy to impress, but Brock was pretty exciting and worked well as a dominant face who was chasing the belt after Heyman betrayed him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I seem to recall Ludwig Borga getting that sort of treatment?

JR few weeks after his death:

quote:

Been reading a little about the death of Tony Halme aka Ludvig Borga and, including his concealed SS tattoo on his calf I won't speak at length about those that have passed away but Tony obviously had issues and was not a great guy to be around. Perhaps others have a different view of this man but I personally found him to be somewhat obnoxious and he could be a bully if allowed to be such. Guys like Halme don't mix well in any locker room and need to be removed from the "team" sooner than later. Nonetheless I still feel badly about the last years of Tony's life as things really unraveled for him seemingly due to alcohol and drug issues. When one competes with "demons" unfortunately the "demons" usually win unless one is personally and throughly committed to changing one's behavior. Wrestlers with problems of this nature either need to have the problem solved, which takes everyone's best efforts specifically the individual himself, or have the problem person needs to be eliminated from the equation. That might sound harsh but some folks would rather "catch a buzz" than do the right thing for themselves, their family and the company for which they work.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What was Undertaker's first actually good singles match?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red posted:

What're your favorite Dusty Finishes?

Bionic Elbow :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SiKboy posted:

The start of Tajiris run in the WWE might count? He was essentially Regals comedy manservent, then went into the ring and tajiri'd the gently caress out of some poor bastard. Google tells me it was Crash Holly. If I'm honest what I mainly remember is Regals fantastic facial expressions as Regal realised that the man he'd been heaping with abuse was in fact a viciously competent wrestler.

https://i.imgur.com/gkj507r.mp4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well in that case I've always had a soft spot for the Steiner Screwdriver. Just looks like absolute murder.

Did he ever injure anyone with it? It looks really dangerous.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Royal Updog posted:

Say what you will about Bob Holly

I love his dropkick.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

bartok posted:

I think Mabel beat him clean.

Kama attacked Taker (KotR 95).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/MengsMullet/status/1077121558286602240?s=20

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

They are looking at his penis.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Everyone patiently waiting in a big pile to catch the guy who dives on them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

0konner posted:

I don’t know anything about following wrestling around the time of the Steiner math promo. Did it get a big reaction at the time? Was it a meme instantly? Was it meant to be funny? Did TNA script stuff at the time?

Goons liked it (requires archives) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2839477&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might have saved his career, A-Train was probably the most seriously he was ever taken.

It's a shame, because he got pretty good.

And even then his only non-jobber wins during that year+ were Mysterio and pre-JBL Bradshaw in random Smackdown matches.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

collocation posted:

I once thought that maybe it was for the people in those professions. The audience of race car drivers and friars likely to watch WWE would likely be pretty small, but there are quite a few waste management and plumbing workers. Of course, making most of the guys doing these thing a joke would likely work against that, but they've never been one not to shoot themselves in the foot.

A question that I have is, did any of these gimmicks work or get over?

Big Boss Man is probably the best example.

Doink and DiBiase would be others, if you count those as a job gimmicks (Undertake doesn't really fit there).

IRS had some success, I think, but probably wouldn't have gone anywhere without DiBiase.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Daniel Bryan the last person Triple H jobbed to at Wrestlemania? I know he beat Sting and Batista, I don't remember who else he's faced since then.

30 - lost to Bryan
31 - beat Sting
32 - lost to Roman
33 - lost to Seth
34 - lost tag match after Rousey submitted Steph
35 - beat Batista

So jobbed to younger guys and got wins against part-timers. Surprisingly reasonable, tbh (Sting should have won).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 18, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I think it's more about feeling like a badass than the money.

Can't get that without the audience.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have her hair ever been used to choke someone?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is he kipping up? I've always wondered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeuRJr4L37A

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I remember liking Mania XIX match against Jericho.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red posted:

Are there any great (****+) R-Truth matches, ever?

His best rated regular matches are
2002-11-20 Jeff Jarrett vs. Ron Killings ***1/2 (6.19 score on cagematch)

2012-05-20 Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger vs. Kofi Kingston & R-Truth ***1/2 (6.41)
2011-11-20 John Cena & The Rock vs. R-Truth & The Miz ***1/2 (5.59)

Then there's bunch of fatal four ways and bigger clusterfucks with slightly better score.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Would Batista count? IIRC He was basically a standard big muscle bodyguard without personality until he turned against HHH.

Not really struggling, but guys in that kind of role tend to disappear after 6-12 months and at least to me it felt like he jumped from meh to Top Star in a couple of weeks.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 24, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Following the Owen/Austin botch, Owen would come out to the ring wearing a t-shirt with "Owen 3:16" on the front and (IIRC) "I just broke your neck" on the back. This was probably a case of the WWF keeping up with kayfabe or whatever but I imagine Austin was pretty pissed about them piggybacking off of something that could have left him a quadriplegic.

Here's Austin in audio book being mildly salty about that (9:13)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68zUzDy4wU

Also features other stuff that has been already mentioned.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are my legal options to watch AEW in Finland?

I don't think they've sold the local rights to anyone, so they're probably same as any other [generic EU country].

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thanks guys, started a free trial and works fine.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Undertaker is a wizard.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who are the best 6+ft women in wrestling?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While it's not really among the best matches, Mankind vs. Taker HIAC is obviously pretty important one from that era.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does any company do pro wrestling with MMA/Boxing style timed rounds with breaks between them? Or with judges and scoring (but kayfabe)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Lord of Hats posted:

What are all the various move name modifiers? I mean like how if you take a move normally done standing, and do it from the top rope it’s an Avalanche #MOVENAME, or the reverse is either Step-Up or Standing.

Slingshot, springboard, pop-up, sitout, elevated, diving, corkscrew...